Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Food!!! What are you eating today??!

(03-09-2023, 07:16 PM)Dānu Wrote: More chicken fried rice.  I had read that a Chinese soy sauce was preferable for fried rice, which makes sense given that it's a Chinese dish, but the soy sauces in the fridge were Kikkoman and an artisan Shoyu.  Fortunately, I had an unopened bottle of ç premium soy sauce on hand which I had bought because it was a) very well-reviewed, and b) very inexpensive at the local Asian grocery store.  It works really well in fried rice and I think has become my go-to for soy sauce.  Up until this year, I thought soy sauce was just one thing, and I could choose low sodium or regular.  Now I know there are more types of soy sauces than I can count.  I plan to pick up some more Lee Kum Kee when I got to Sun World Market next week, and buy a fresh bottle of Golden Mountain seasoning sauce, which isn't exactly soy sauce, but is great on stuff like fried rice.  I'd like to pick up a bottle of Healthy Boy mushroom-flavored soy sauce for my Thai dishes, but they sell it in such big bottles that I don't want to have to store it.  My natural tendency is to buy one of every kind of a thing, but that could be rather unwise with soy sauce given how many choices there are.

Loved the advice on soy sauces. I don't get much choice in the supermarket. Best I can do is usually "more soy, less wheat". And it is hard finding straw mushrooms lately. Food chain problem, I suppose. I better visit that asian market out by the highway. Maybe they have Lee Kum Kee. And straw mushrooms...
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

Leftover enchiladas. I didn't feel like coking tonight.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Lunch: Cheeseburgers with yellow mustard and onions.  Tongue

Supper: Roast pork sandwich with mayo, onion and lettuce.  Smile
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

(03-10-2023, 03:32 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(03-10-2023, 02:54 AM)Dānu Wrote: Did you heat the tortillas?  I suspect restaurants heat their tortillas on a griddle or in a pan.  I use a microwave.  Probably not equivalent.

I have been doing that for maybe a year or so and I'm pretty sure I got that from here, maybe one of your posts.  Tonight I heated them, briefly, in a toaster oven.  I make a lot of breakfast tacos and I find heating them on the skillet I just used to make the eggs and meat is better than the microwave.  Sometimes I toss them directly on the still-hot stove surface.  So it's definitely something, but I think it's also a brand thing.  I will keep trying different brands.

This came across my radar today.

The Warming Trick For Better Store-Bought Corn Tortillas
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Oxtail soup with pigs tongue and mustard sandwiches.
(Sounds unappetising but actually really delicious)

Edit: In Britain tongue sandwiches are considered by some a bit of a delicacy.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 1 user Likes adey67's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(03-13-2023, 06:39 PM)adey67 Wrote: Oxtail soup with pigs tongue and mustard sandwiches.

I grew up with oxtail soup and tongue sandwiches also. In Germany. Never had tongue in oxtail soup though, but it's not offputting to me.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • adey67

(03-13-2023, 06:39 PM)adey67 Wrote: Oxtail soup with pigs tongue and mustard sandwiches.

I would regularly buy pickled lambs' tongues until the early 2000's. Most of the big supermarkets in this area no longer sell them. They're still available from a few specialty firms that deal in mail order meats, but they're quite expensive now.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • adey67

There's a restaurant in St. Paul that serves oxtail pho. I love pho, and even though the reviews are mediocre, I'd love to try some.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • adey67

Speaking of expensive meats, I picked up an order of skin-on pork belly today and the price was as I feared. I had neglected to inquire before ordering, and three pounds came to $30.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • adey67

(03-14-2023, 12:18 AM)Dānu Wrote: Speaking of expensive meats, I picked up an order of skin-on pork belly today and the price was as I feared.  I had neglected to inquire before ordering, and three pounds came to $30.

Oh man, you got to slow roast that in an oven, get it all crispy....skin on is hard to find these days.

The last enchilada, covered with chunky salsa. I've got Thai curry shrimp planned for later if I can stay awake. I shouldn't have had that beer.

Vivekananda

Thai Massaman curry shrimp and rice.

Vivekananda

Southern fried chicken nuggets with salad and morning rolls, crystallised stem ginger for afters.

(03-13-2023, 07:05 PM)Dom Wrote:

I grew up with oxtail soup and tongue sandwiches also. In Germany. Never had tongue in oxtail soup though, but it's not offputting to me.

The tongue was in the sandwiches, not even us loony Brits put tongue in oxtail soup lol.
The following 1 user Likes adey67's post:
  • Dom

(03-14-2023, 12:18 AM)Dānu Wrote: Speaking of expensive meats, I picked up an order of skin-on pork belly today and the price was as I feared.  I had neglected to inquire before ordering, and three pounds came to $30.

Why so expensive? For the equivalent of $30 I could buy about 10-15lbs of good quality pork loin. It's quite a shock because my experience when visiting the US has always been that food is massively cheaper.

(03-14-2023, 03:28 PM)adey67 Wrote:

Why so expensive? For the equivalent of $30 I could buy about 10-15lbs of good quality pork loin. It's quite a shock because my experience when visiting the US has always been that food is massively cheaper.

Some things are harder to find - I guess because they are not a current food fad - and then it gets expensive. Skin-on pork is quite hard to find.
  • adey67

Whole assorted hoagie with chipotle mayo and pickles. I missed lunch because I was too busy arguing with jerry before bingo.

Vivekananda

Al pastor burrito and some mystery bright orange salsa. Red Bull.
Is this sig thing on?

Lunch: Cheeseburgers with onion and yellow mustard.  Tongue

Supper: Stewed tomatoes with cottage cheese.  Smile

I made the weirdest dinner out of refrigerator remnants yesterday - and it tasted great!

I had homemade chicken broth, smoked pepper/cheese sausage, eggs and a half green bell pepper. I made a soup out of it all and crumbled some Gorgonzola (blue cheese) in it before serving. It turned out really good, as weird as it sounds.
  • Dānu

Rice-a-roni rice pilaf with red and green peppers, onions, and chunked, fried spam. I used Walmart brand low-sodium spam. It was sufficiently low in sodium for my tastes.

Vivekananda

Nongshim Shin ramyun noodles.

Vivekananda

Leftover Massaman curry shrimp.

Vivekananda

My buddy Tom will be coming over for a visit today. I'm making seafood casserole for lunch. There will probably be enough left over for supper.  Smile

Filet of salmon, spinach and a portobello mushroom stuffed with Gorgonzola. Tasty!