Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Post a pic of yourself ... or a pic you took ...

This sign was on the door of a restaurant I went to the other day...
[Image: IMG-20210915-113751762-HDR.jpg]
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. - The Mad Hatter
The following 5 users Like Mad Hatter's post:
  • Dānu, Marozz, Dom, Bcat, pocaracas

(09-18-2021, 05:40 PM)Mad Hatter Wrote: This sign was on the door of a restaurant I went to the other day...
People just don't want to work for less than a living wage.

Heard an interview with a restaurant owner on the radio last month who said that he was so desperate that he decided to raise the hourly rate to $15 an hour at his restaurants since he had zero applicants in the past month. He did not think it would end well, but as I said, he was desperate.

He had 1,200 applicants the first day.

Also, he realized his profits didn't even decrease. "In this business, waste is everything. You screw up a milk shake, you throw it away. You screw up a burger, you toss it and do it over. At this pay point people suddenly started appreciating and caring about the work and did it right the first time so much more often that the extra wages were paid for in reduced waste, better attendance, morale, etc. I am a total convert."

To which I say, well, DUH. Good for him, though, for being willing to be persuaded by new evidence, and to admit it.
The following 4 users Like mordant's post:
  • Alan V, Vera, Thumpalumpacus, Antonio

(6 hours ago)mordant Wrote: People just don't want to work for less than a living wage.

Bad Mord, bad, spoiling a perfectly ill-concealed attempt at a right-wing tilt at a windmill. Thank the good lord above, for all the hard-working *real* Muricans, ready to work for a pittance and pull themselves up by their bootstraps! Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

(6 hours ago)mordant Wrote:
(09-18-2021, 05:40 PM)Mad Hatter Wrote: This sign was on the door of a restaurant I went to the other day...
People just don't want to work for less than a living wage.

Heard an interview with a restaurant owner on the radio last month who said that he was so desperate that he decided to raise the hourly rate to $15 an hour at his restaurants since he had zero applicants in the past month. He did not think it would end well, but as I said, he was desperate.

He had 1,200 applicants the first day.

Also, he realized his profits didn't even decrease. "In this business, waste is everything. You screw up a milk shake, you throw it away. You screw up a burger, you toss it and do it over. At this pay point people suddenly started appreciating and caring about the work and did it right the first time so much more often that the extra wages were paid for in reduced waste, better attendance, morale, etc. I am a total convert."

To which I say, well, DUH. Good for him, though, for being willing to be persuaded by new evidence, and to admit it.

As someone who's been in retail management for twenty-five years, I'm convinced that taking care of your workers is more an efficiency than an expense. Happy workers make better workers, and better workers make more and better customers.
Freedom isn't free.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Antonio

And it's not businesses which drive the economy, it's the customers that do.
[Image: sea-stones-whimsy-7-sm.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Alan V