Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Super-mega newbie game for people who have never played Mafia before

I wanted to put this outside the Mafia forum to catch anyone's eye who is otherwise ignoring the Mafia board. 

I see you lurking in there! (well some of you, anyway).

If anyone is interested in playing a newbie game where you'll be shown the ropes in a very controlled environment, please speak up! The setup I'm thinking of would be ideal for people who maybe haven't played for awhile and are little rusty, people who may have been lurking but haven't jumped in, and people who have never even heard of the game before and still haven't clicked on any of Mafia threads that pop up around here.

Let me know if you'd be interested in learning the game and @Joods and I will try to get something cooked up to be both fun and instructive. 

No start date has been established. I'm focused more on getting a read on people's interest level right now.
The following 4 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Aroura, Joods, Mathilda, Tartarus Sauce

I nominate @Schrodinger's Outlaw
The following 3 users Like Assassin's post:
  • Aliza, Joods, Tartarus Sauce

It intrigues me. This would be my fourth game, but in each of the three other ones, it was gently proposed to me---not even requested---that I leave the game. But it's very interesting to watch, and this might be the one for me to play.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 2 users Like c172's post:
  • Aliza, Aroura

(02-01-2019, 08:35 PM)c172 Wrote: It intrigues me. This would be my fourth game, but in each of the three other ones, it was gently proposed to me---not even requested---that I leave the game. But it's very interesting to watch, and this might be the one for me to play.

omg! For what reason were you asked to leave?

Just that I seemed very clueless and it was really messing things up for other players. Basically others just consistently not being able to get a read on me.
Is this sig thing on?

(02-01-2019, 08:39 PM)c172 Wrote: Just that I seemed very clueless and it was really messing things up for other players. Basically others just consistently not being able to get a read on me.

Yes, this would be the game for you.  Girl_yes2
The following 3 users Like Aliza's post:
  • c172, Aroura, Joods

I don’t understand the rules of these games or how they work.  I don’t think I’d want to play, but I’d like to understand what is going on.
god, ugh

(02-01-2019, 09:47 PM)julep Wrote: I don’t understand the rules of these games or how they work.  I don’t think I’d want to play, but I’d like to understand what is going on.

As a super-mega newb myself, I can only speak from the experience I have so far. What I've learned is that Mafia was created in the 1980's as a party game/psychological experiment. You'd get a dozen or so people in a room and let them draw cards for the roles they'll play in this game. The narrative is that everyone in the game are residents of a little town and they're being terrorized by the mafia. The majority of the players are townspeople and a few players are cast as mafia. The members of the mafia know who each other is but the rest of the group playing the game does not know who anyone else is. 

The objective for players cast as town is to organize and figure out who is mafia, but each day, players are eliminated based on who the group voted off the island (ie: lynches). 

The objective for players cast as mafia is to confuse town and make it so they keep voting for other townspeople. 

The winning group is the side who ends up eliminating the threat from other side.
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • julep

(02-01-2019, 08:39 PM)c172 Wrote: Just that I seemed very clueless and it was really messing things up for other players. Basically others just consistently not being able to get a read on me.

Who said that? I'll go beat 'em up for ya!
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.

(02-01-2019, 10:01 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 09:47 PM)julep Wrote: I don’t understand the rules of these games or how they work.  I don’t think I’d want to play, but I’d like to understand what is going on.

As a super-mega newb myself, I can only speak from the experience I have so far. What I've learned is that Mafia was created in the 1980's as a party game/psychological experiment. You'd get a dozen or so people in a room and let them draw cards for the roles they'll play in this game. The narrative is that everyone in the game are residents of a little town and they're being terrorized by the mafia. The majority of the players are townspeople and a few players are cast as mafia. The members of the mafia know who each other is but the rest of the group playing the game does not know who anyone else is. 

The objective for players cast as town is to organize and figure out who is mafia, but each day, players are eliminated based on who the group voted off the island (ie: lynches). 

The objective for players cast as mafia is to confuse town and make it so they keep voting for other townspeople. 

The winning group is the side who ends up eliminating the threat from other side.

I'll also add in here that during the night, mafia get to night kill one of the town people.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.

(02-01-2019, 10:47 PM)Joods Wrote: I'll also add in here that during the night, mafia get to night kill one of the town people.

I'll also add that this is in-game and they don't kill in real life.

Although a film about real life a mafia game would be cool.
The following 2 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • Aliza, Joods

Thanks for the explanation.   Are all of the town people conversations public?  I’m guessing the conversations don’t have to be honest, but I’m assuming they are in the open and not private. 

What about mafia conversations, are those private, since these are already defined as duplicitous?
god, ugh

(02-02-2019, 12:40 AM)julep Wrote:

Thanks for the explanation.   Are all of the town people conversations public?  I’m guessing the conversations don’t have to be honest, but I’m assuming they are in the open and not private. 

What about mafia conversations, are those private, since these are already defined as duplicitous?

In a nutshell, all players converse openly in a group thread where everyone presents themselves as being a positively aligned townsperson (A townie). The game is run in phases (day and night) and a player is typically eliminated in each phase. In the day phase, everyone speaks openly, each claiming to be town. In the night phase, mafia members meet privately to discuss and revise their strategy and they attempt to vote a townsperson off the island.
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • julep

H
(02-02-2019, 12:49 AM)Aliza Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 12:40 AM)julep Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 10:01 PM)Aliza Wrote: As a super-mega newb myself, I can only speak from the experience I have so far. What I've learned is that Mafia was created in the 1980's as a party game/psychological experiment. You'd get a dozen or so people in a room and let them draw cards for the roles they'll play in this game. The narrative is that everyone in the game are residents of a little town and they're being terrorized by the mafia. The majority of the players are townspeople and a few players are cast as mafia. The members of the mafia know who each other is but the rest of the group playing the game does not know who anyone else is. 

In a nutshell, all players converse openly in a group thread where everyone presents themselves as being a positively aligned townsperson (A townie). The game is run in phases (day and night) and a player is typically eliminated in each phase. In the day phase, everyone speaks openly, each claiming to be town. In the night phase, mafia members meet privately to discuss and revise their strategy and they attempt to vote a townsperson off the island.

Thanks, that is very helpful.  

Totally not a game I could play, but now I can understand what it’s about.  I appreciate the education, because I’ve always felt a bit stupid when this game has been discussed.
god, ugh
The following 1 user Likes julep's post:
  • Aliza