Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damned Catholics

Damned Catholics
I think the one in the middle is the popessa...
The following 1 user Likes Cranky's post:
  • pattylt

Damned Catholics
For the first time a german Cardinal is under suspicion of sexual abuse. Cardinal Hengsbach (died in 1991) who led the Bishopric of Essen for more than 30 years is suspected of sexual abuse of minors (raped a 16y old girl in 1954, with his brother).
Another woman accused him in 2010, and although the Bishopric denied any of this, money was paid to her......go figure.

I think its a little bit pointless, too little, too late. The Cardinal is dead for 30 years, and lots of people involved/responsible too.
R.I.P. Hannes

Damned Catholics
(09-16-2023, 01:18 AM)Inkubus Wrote:
(09-16-2023, 12:31 AM)Cranky Wrote: Meanwhile, as the pervs are busy perving, they're also putting out shit like this:

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2023/09/n...dents.html

The last paragraph really cracked me up.

Why should anyone listen to an organization that can't keep its clergy from raping children?

For those like me who can't be fucked on disabling ad blockers and shit could you maybe quote the last paragraph?

I was able to read the page normally on Firefox with uBlock Origin. Maybe time to try a different ad blocker or browser?

Damned Catholics
Ah....you can fuck all the altar boys you want up the ass but dare criticize pope frankie and you're toast!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada...gn=KARANGA

Quote:Pope Francis fires Texan bishop after criticism of reforms
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Damned Catholics
Gotta love the name!

snip---

The right-wing "Coalition for Canceled Priests" held a conference earlier this year to support him during the investigation.

snip---
test

Damned Catholics
(11-11-2023, 06:10 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Ah....you can fuck all the altar boys you want up the ass but dare criticize pope frankie and you're toast!

Quote:Pope Francis fires Texan bishop after criticism of reforms

When the frikin' Pope, of all people, is too "Woke" for you, what does that say about your fundamentalist anti-woke atheism?

I'm old enough to remember when most of us atheists were actually opposed to this sort of thing.

What happened?

You've let your fundamentalist anti-gay, anti-trans, anti-immigrant, anti-Black, anti-Indigenous, anti-woke atheism TRUMP your capacity for critical thought.

What makes a white man do this? It's bad enough that some so-called atheists support the Spanish Inquisition and it's moral values.

Sheesh!

What's wrong with some folks today, here and now, in the 21st century?

You're on the wrong side of history.

From your own link:

Quote:Pope Francis has fired the Texan bishop Joseph Strickland, a fierce critic who has questioned the Pope's leadership of the Catholic church.

The Vatican said the bishop would be "relieved" of his duties as a result of investigations at his Diocese of Tyler.

Bishop Strickland is a leading voice in a branch of US Catholicism that is opposed to the Pope's reforms.
His removal comes after Francis spoke of the "backwardness" of some US Catholic church leaders.

Bishop Strickland has launched a series of attacks on the Pope's attempts to update the Church's position on social matters and inclusion, including on abortion, transgender rights and same-sex marriage.

In July, he warned that many "basic truths" of Catholic teaching were being challenged, including what he called attempts to "undermine" marriage "as instituted by God" being only between a man and a woman.

He criticised as "disordered" the attempts of those who "reject their undeniable biological God-given identity".

His letter suggested that attempts to change "that which cannot be changed" would lead to an irrevocable schism in the Church. Those seeking change, he warned, "are the true schismatics".

Bishop Strickland was under investigation by the Vatican and had previously declined the opportunity to resign, and in an open letter in September challenged the Pope to fire him.

"I cannot resign as Bishop of Tyler because that would be me abandoning the flock," he said.

The right-wing "Coalition for Canceled Priests" held a conference earlier this year to support him during the investigation.

The Vatican said that the decision to fire him "came after an apostolic visitation ordered by the Pope last June in the Diocese of Tyler". According to Catholic media, the investigation also looked at the handling of financial affairs at the diocese.

Bishop Strickland, 65, was appointed bishop in 2012, while Benedict XVI was pope. It all follows significant attempts made by the Pope to make the Church more progressive during his papacy.

On Thursday, the Vatican announced that transgender people can be baptised in the Catholic Church, as long as doing so does not cause scandal or "confusion".

In October, he suggested that the Church would be open to bless same-sex couples, as he told a group of cardinals "we cannot be judges who only deny, reject and exclude".

Speaking at a meeting at the World Youth Day celebrations in Lisbon the Pope said the backwardness of some people was "useless".

"Doing this you lose the true tradition and you turn to ideologies to have support. In other words, ideologies replace faith," he added.

Climate change has also been a key pillar of his papacy - from a landmark paper on the environment in 2015 to recent warnings that the world may be "nearing breaking point" due to climate change.

He has also strongly condemned climate deniers and will be at the United Nations' Climate Summit (COP28) later this month - the first time a pope has attended the event since they began in 1995.

The Vatican said that the Diocese of Tyler would be temporarily administered by Bishop Joe Vasquez of Austin.

KING CRIMSON: 21st Century Schizoid Man | The PODIUM Sessions #26

King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man (Live at Hyde Park 1969)

test

Damned Catholics
When Frankie fires all the pervert priests, pal, then you can run your mouth.

Right now he's as bad as any of the fuckers...including his predecessor.

Kiss my ass.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Cavebear

Damned Catholics
Sez the same fundamentalist white supremacist who openly cheered the deaths of Mexicans right here in this forum, and who induced others to join your racist crusade. 

Which Side Are You On? - UMW Song (1941)

test

Damned Catholics
From my understanding, and correct me if I’m wrong, the pope has not suggested blessing same sex married couples. What he has suggested is that the individuals in a gay marriage can be blessed but not the union. Nor has he ever backed down on the Catholic view of marriage between one man and one woman or abortion. He’s still as Catholic as ever and only tries to push climate change because it’s safe to do so as far as Catholic dogma goes. He may be more “liberal” than previous popes but not by much.

He’s currently trying to rein in the bishops in Germany that do want to bless LGBTQ unions and allow women priests. That’s a line too far.
The following 1 user Likes pattylt's post:
  • mordant

Damned Catholics
(11-29-2023, 02:09 AM)pattylt Wrote: From my understanding, and correct me if I’m wrong, the pope has not suggested blessing same sex married couples.  What he has suggested is that the individuals in a gay marriage can be blessed but not the union.  Nor has he ever backed down on the Catholic view of marriage between one man and one woman or abortion.  He’s still as Catholic as ever and only tries to push climate change because it’s safe to do so as far as Catholic dogma goes.  He may be more “liberal” than previous popes but not by much.

He’s currently trying to rein in the bishops in Germany that do want to bless LGBTQ unions and allow women priests.  That’s a line too far.

"What he has suggested is that the individuals in a gay marriage can be blessed but not the union". That is a very fine line. It suggests they can be together and/or married but not have sex. I laugh at the "fine line". Popes, like all other mere politicians try to say a lot by not quite saying anything. But I can read between the lines.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • pattylt

Damned Catholics
(11-29-2023, 09:41 AM)Cavebear Wrote: What he has suggested is that the individuals in a gay marriage can be blessed but not the union".  That is a very fine line.  It suggests they can be together and/or married but not have sex.  I laugh at the "fine line".  Popes, like all other mere politicians try to say a lot by not quite saying anything.  But I can read between the lines.

Regarding politicians and priests, here's an old reggae tune you might remember.

The truth lives within you and me.

Walking on Gravel - Mutabaruka

Walkin' on gravel in this time
Tryin' to separate this confusion and crime
Ideologies philosophies tryin' to save my day
Walkin' on gravel things stay same way

So I take a trip to a foreign lan'
Hopin' they might have a plan
They had a plan.. no solution.. more confusion

They were walkin' on gravel just like me
everyone tryin to be free

Lookin' on the childhood I once knew
Wonderin' why my dreams never came true
Thinkin' on the good things when I die
Tryin' to get my piece of the pie
But I was..

Walkin' on gravel in those times
Politicians and priests commitin' more crimes

So I walk the road hopin' to find
What is this confusion in my time
The quest to know when where and why
The quest to separate truth from lie
Frustration disillusions cover my track
But this is no time for turnin' back
With my bare feet on the ground
Walkin' on gravel I know where I am bound

So I take a look what do I see
Rich and poor in agony
Waitin' on that Judgement day
Hopin' there will be a delay

Walkin' on gravel the road is long
Walkin', walkin' have to be strong

So I walk the road round and around
Always returnin' to the same ground
Three hundred and sixty degrees.. if you please
The road has neither start nor end
Neither points not even a bend
So I stopped to look in the great book
Now you may ask what did I see
But it was the solution to this mystery
After goin' round and around all this time
I found that the confusion was in my mind
This mystery is there you can see
The truth lives within' you and me
test

Damned Catholics
Just out of curiosity pythagorean, did you smoke those lead paint chips?
The following 3 users Like no one's post:
  • Cavebear, pattylt, Dancefortwo

Damned Catholics
Interesting, Pope Francis' authoritarian admin style has run into trouble.
First, he is actually in power, because the Italian press kept reporting towards the end of Benedict's pontificate that there were groups of gay Roman priests having orgies in Rome, and the scandals were too much for Italian Catholics. Enter Francis. Despite his "nice ole grampa" image, his Vatican is as dogmatic as ever. Francis is attempting to promote "synodality". He called a "synod" of the world's bishops for this past October. Meanwhile the Germon bishops took him seriously, but Francis, him no likey the German bishops' synodality, no more. https://www.google.com/search?q=francis+...q7k,st:153

And today he took yet another action against the triumphalist idiot, Raymond Cardinal Burke. Fanky not a real nice grampa. LOL
Test

Damned Catholics
(11-29-2023, 09:41 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(11-29-2023, 02:09 AM)pattylt Wrote: From my understanding, and correct me if I’m wrong, the pope has not suggested blessing same sex married couples.  What he has suggested is that the individuals in a gay marriage can be blessed but not the union.  Nor has he ever backed down on the Catholic view of marriage between one man and one woman or abortion.  He’s still as Catholic as ever and only tries to push climate change because it’s safe to do so as far as Catholic dogma goes.  He may be more “liberal” than previous popes but not by much.

He’s currently trying to rein in the bishops in Germany that do want to bless LGBTQ unions and allow women priests.  That’s a line too far.

"What he has suggested is that the individuals in a gay marriage can be blessed but not the union".  That is a very fine line.  It suggests they can be together and/or married but not have sex.  I laugh at the "fine line".  Popes, like all other mere politicians try to say a lot by not quite saying anything.  But I can read between the lines.

With the major religions of the world it's always about sex.   So it's not just the Catholics.  Enjoying sex can only happen under strict circumstances for certain people.  For hetersexual women it can only happen if they're married, and even then enjoying it is a little iffy.  Straight men can have sex with, you know, loose women as long as they keep quiet about it. 
 But gay people can't have sex and certainly they can't enjoy sex.  That's just out.  They can't enjoy sex and that's just too bad for them.    So there!   Pope
                                                         T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • airportkid, pattylt, Cavebear, Szuchow

Damned Catholics
(11-30-2023, 04:31 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: ... They can't enjoy sex and that's just too bad for them ...

For a clarifying perspective on just how nonsensically neurotic the human species is about sex check out the Bonobos

Damned Catholics
(11-30-2023, 04:31 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(11-29-2023, 09:41 AM)Cavebear Wrote: "What he has suggested is that the individuals in a gay marriage can be blessed but not the union".  That is a very fine line.  It suggests they can be together and/or married but not have sex.  I laugh at the "fine line".  Popes, like all other mere politicians try to say a lot by not quite saying anything.  But I can read between the lines.

With the major religions of the world it's always about sex.   So it's not just the Catholics.  Enjoying sex can only happen under strict circumstances for certain people.  For hetersexual women it can only happen if they're married, and even then enjoying it is a little iffy.  Straight men can have sex with, you know, loose women as long as they keep quiet about it. 
 But gay people can't have sex and certainly they can't enjoy sex.  That's just out.  They can't enjoy sex and that's just too bad for them.    So there!   Pope

I hope you intended that as humor. The bed-partners I have had were unmarried, female, and seemed to be pretty enthusiastic about it during and after. I'm probably pretty average, but am good at cuddling after and that probably scores some points.

Of course gay people enjoy sex. They wouldn't do it if they didn't.

I cracked up about "loose women". The day before I left for college, my Dad gave me "the talk". He said only "don't run around with 'Loose Women', " OMG, my fondest hope was to find a "loose woman"! LOL!

You worry me sometimes... Wink

Damned Catholics
(11-30-2023, 04:31 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(11-29-2023, 09:41 AM)Cavebear Wrote: "What he has suggested is that the individuals in a gay marriage can be blessed but not the union".  That is a very fine line.  It suggests they can be together and/or married but not have sex.  I laugh at the "fine line".  Popes, like all other mere politicians try to say a lot by not quite saying anything.  But I can read between the lines.

I don't much care for other religions but for catholic church shaming people for having sex and finding it enjoyable found a perfect way to control believers - institution that thrives on making people feel guilt and being sole dispenser of forgiveness can get a lot of mileage from intruding in this aspect of human life.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Fireball, Cranky

Damned Catholics
Create the market, exploit the market.

Damned Catholics
(12-01-2023, 03:39 AM)Szuchow Wrote: I don't much care for other religions but for catholic church shaming people for having sex and finding it enjoyable found a perfect way to control believers - institution that thrives on making people feel guilt and being sole dispenser of forgiveness can get a lot of mileage from intruding in this aspect of human life.
Christianity in general tends to shame people for being sexual beings but I will admit the Catholics have raised that and other forms of guilt and shame to an art form.

And you are right ... if they can get you to deny / repress / loathe that part of who you are, they can control you over much lesser things. It is simply a wedge issue to break you with.
The following 3 users Like mordant's post:
  • pattylt, Szuchow, Cavebear

Damned Catholics
(12-01-2023, 10:43 PM)mordant Wrote:
(12-01-2023, 03:39 AM)Szuchow Wrote: I don't much care for other religions but for catholic church shaming people for having sex and finding it enjoyable found a perfect way to control believers - institution that thrives on making people feel guilt and being sole dispenser of forgiveness can get a lot of mileage from intruding in this aspect of human life.
Christianity in general tends to shame people for being sexual beings but I will admit the Catholics have raised that and other forms of guilt and shame to an art form.

And you are right ... if they can get you to deny / repress / loathe that part of who you are, they can control you over much lesser things. It is simply a wedge issue to break you with.

I think Jews, Moslems, and Hindus (and others) are pretty good at it too. It just depends on the news you watch. What TV you watch and the newspapers you read has a lot to do with your opinions and awareness of crimes in other places.

Damned Catholics
Pope Frankie wants to ban fossil fuels.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environ...gn=KARANGA

Quote:Pope Francis calls for end to fossil fuels at COP28 in Dubai

While not a bad idea (if totally impractical), getting rid of fossils like him and his gang of pervert priests would do less harm to the economy.
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • pattylt, Fireball

Damned Catholics
(11-28-2023, 11:23 PM)pythagorean Wrote: bla bla bla

Oh great. Most giant text videos.
Test

Damned Catholics
(12-02-2023, 04:18 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Pope Frankie wants to ban fossil fuels.
No one thinks COPD28 (or 29, or 30 ...) is going to take THAT one seriously.

And COPD28 is being held in ... (checks notes) the UAE, the 12th largest oil producer in the world.

Also Biden couldn't be arsed to attend and he's directed the US negotiating team to oppose a UN proposal for carbon reduction with real teeth.

*yawn*

Damned Catholics
(11-28-2023, 11:23 PM)pythagorean Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 06:10 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Ah....you can fuck all the altar boys you want up the ass but dare criticize pope frankie and you're toast!

When the frikin' Pope, of all people, is too "Woke" for you, what does that say about your fundamentalist anti-woke atheism?

I'm old enough to remember when most of us atheists were actually opposed to this sort of thing.

What happened?

You've let your fundamentalist anti-gay, anti-trans, anti-immigrant, anti-Black, anti-Indigenous, anti-woke atheism TRUMP your capacity for critical thought.

What makes a white man do this? It's bad enough that some so-called atheists support the Spanish Inquisition and it's moral values.

Sheesh!

What's wrong with some folks today, here and now, in the 21st century?

You're on the wrong side of history.

From your own link:

Quote:Pope Francis has fired the Texan bishop Joseph Strickland, a fierce critic who has questioned the Pope's leadership of the Catholic church.

The Vatican said the bishop would be "relieved" of his duties as a result of investigations at his Diocese of Tyler.

Bishop Strickland is a leading voice in a branch of US Catholicism that is opposed to the Pope's reforms.
His removal comes after Francis spoke of the "backwardness" of some US Catholic church leaders.

Bishop Strickland has launched a series of attacks on the Pope's attempts to update the Church's position on social matters and inclusion, including on abortion, transgender rights and same-sex marriage.

In July, he warned that many "basic truths" of Catholic teaching were being challenged, including what he called attempts to "undermine" marriage "as instituted by God" being only between a man and a woman.

He criticised as "disordered" the attempts of those who "reject their undeniable biological God-given identity".

His letter suggested that attempts to change "that which cannot be changed" would lead to an irrevocable schism in the Church. Those seeking change, he warned, "are the true schismatics".

Bishop Strickland was under investigation by the Vatican and had previously declined the opportunity to resign, and in an open letter in September challenged the Pope to fire him.

"I cannot resign as Bishop of Tyler because that would be me abandoning the flock," he said.

The Vatican said that the decision to fire him "came after an apostolic visitation ordered by the Pope last June in the Diocese of Tyler". According to Catholic media, the investigation also looked at the handling of financial affairs at the diocese.

Bishop Strickland, 65, was appointed bishop in 2012, while Benedict XVI was pope. It all follows significant attempts made by the Pope to make the Church more progressive during his papacy.

On Thursday, the Vatican announced that transgender people can be baptised in the Catholic Church, as long as doing so does not cause scandal or "confusion".

In October, he suggested that the Church would be open to bless same-sex couples, as he told a group of cardinals "we cannot be judges who only deny, reject and exclude".

Speaking at a meeting at the World Youth Day celebrations in Lisbon the Pope said the backwardness of some people was "useless".

"Doing this you lose the true tradition and you turn to ideologies to have support. In other words, ideologies replace faith," he added.

Climate change has also been a key pillar of his papacy - from a landmark paper on the environment in 2015 to recent warnings that the world may be "nearing breaking point" due to climate change.

He has also strongly condemned climate deniers and will be at the United Nations' Climate Summit (COP28) later this month - the first time a pope has attended the event since they began in 1995.

The Vatican said that the Diocese of Tyler would be temporarily administered by Bishop Joe Vasquez of Austin.

KING CRIMSON: 21st Century Schizoid Man | The PODIUM Sessions #26

King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man (Live at Hyde Park 1969)

Oh yay. More big letters and more stupid videos.
Test

Damned Catholics
I wrote that asshole off weeks ago, Buck.

Just another troll.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball