Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From the Gospel of Atrocities (Part II)

(04-02-2023, 02:11 PM)Rubaiyyat Wrote: If brevity is what you want, I suggest you stick to one-line jokes and restroom graffiti. History--especially religious history--is a serious subject that's rarely humorous, much less seen as entertaining except by those refugees from religion who might remain so bitter about their personal experience with it that they delight in learning of its every human foible; but such histories are always of interest to young, atheistic minded renegades from the world's various religions who might like to learn how all that shit actually went down, while the rest of your commentary--particularly your comment on the Levite massacre of 3000 people at the foot of Mt. Sinai as ordered by Moses--just reveals how little you really know about these matters: there was nothing fictional about it.

It was entirely fictional.
That event never happened. It was a part of the Exodus narrative, which never happened.
There was no Moses, and was no Exodus, and there never were 3000 people (Levites) at the foot of Mt. Sinai.
Among other things, that was simply impossible.

It's really hilarious that we have an onslaught of ignorant atheists who need the ancient myths to be true, so they can then
slam ancient religious myths as if they were true. No one cares what your ANCIENT sources are. They're totally bogus.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • adey67

(04-03-2023, 05:28 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(04-02-2023, 02:11 PM)Rubaiyyat Wrote: If brevity is what you want, I suggest you stick to one-line jokes and restroom graffiti. History--especially religious history--is a serious subject that's rarely humorous, much less seen as entertaining except by those refugees from religion who might remain so bitter about their personal experience with it that they delight in learning of its every human foible; but such histories are always of interest to young, atheistic minded renegades from the world's various religions who might like to learn how all that shit actually went down, while the rest of your commentary--particularly your comment on the Levite massacre of 3000 people at the foot of Mt. Sinai as ordered by Moses--just reveals how little you really know about these matters: there was nothing fictional about it.

That event never happened. It was a part of the Exodus narrative, which never happened.
There was no Moses, and was no Exodus, and there never were 3000 people (Levites) at the foot of Mt. Sinai.

It's really hilarious that we have an onslaught of ignorant atheists who need the ancient myths to be true, so they can then
slam ancient religious myths as if they were true. No one cares what your ANCIENT sources are. They're totally bogus.
There never was a false god, unless you consider a child a false person. - Max Müeller (1823-1900)

(04-03-2023, 05:28 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:

There never was a false god, unless you consider a child a false person. - Max Müeller (1823-1900)

The following 1 user Likes Rubaiyyat's post:
  • Cavebear

I'm amazed you admit that the Old Testament itself really exists; but then, I suppose you have to . . .

I'm amazed you are so ignorant of current scholarship concerning the OT, gramps.
I gave you a video by THE best archaeologists concerning the current research.
I see you could not be bothered to watch it.
Not surprising. We get all sorts of self-identified "experts" on all sorts of crap.
You are nothing but the latest on a very long lest.
Test

I look at it this way.
Isn't the OT a steaming pile of crap, of whole cloth lies?
Why root around in the crap to find some little nugget and proclaim it to be truth? The sooner we step away from that shit the better.
test signature
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • Minimalist

(04-03-2023, 12:29 PM)Rubaiyyat Wrote: I'm amazed you admit that the Old Testament itself really exists; but then, I suppose you have to . . .

The Harry Potter books also exist. That doesn't mean that hogwarts is real

(04-03-2023, 08:39 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: I'm amazed you are so ignorant of current scholarship concerning the OT, gramps.
I gave you a video by THE best archaeologists concerning the current research.
I see you could not be bothered to watch it.
Not surprising. We get all sorts of self-identified "experts" on all sorts of crap.
You are nothing but the latest on a very long lest.

Self-identified expert?! Talk about the pot calling the kettle!! Kid!

(04-03-2023, 10:14 PM)Rubaiyyat Wrote: Self-identified expert?! 

Doesn't that description apply to all biblical scholars?
No evidence that replicable studies can be conducted via a tested method.  
No evidence at all in fact, other than the circle jerk interpretation of unverified sources? 
No hard data.
Faith isn't data. 
A belief in something that was written a long time ago isn't evidence of veracity - thats why no one believes in Bastet anymore.

(04-03-2023, 10:40 PM)TinyDave Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 10:14 PM)Rubaiyyat Wrote: Self-identified expert?! 

Doesn't that description apply to all biblical scholars?
No evidence at all in fact, other than the circle jerk interpretation of unverified sources? 
No hard data.
Faith isn't data. 
A belief in something that was written a long time ago isn't evidence of veracity - thats why no one believes in Bastet anymore.

Ouch! Bastet's over on the couch right now, dreaming about something. You may have upset her. As far as self-identified experts go, you needn't have confined it to biblical ones. As far as I can see, they're all over the place!

(04-03-2023, 11:03 PM)Rubaiyyat Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 10:40 PM)TinyDave Wrote: Doesn't that description apply to all biblical scholars?
No hard data.
Faith isn't data. 

Ouch! Bastet's over on the couch right now, dreaming about something. You may have upset her. As far as self-identified experts go, you needn't have confined it to biblical ones. As far as I can see, they're all over the place!

Good for bastet. Long may she reign on the couch.
I didn't confine self identified experts to only biblical scholars, just to all people who purport to present evidence without proof.

I don't have the time or the inclination to read any of these lengthy passages. This is a forum, not a site to post book-length gobbledy-gook. Here we discuss, typically a few sentences at a time, back and forth.
Formerly WiCharlie Sun
The following 2 users Like Charladele's post:
  • skyking, c172

(04-03-2023, 12:21 PM)Rubaiyyat Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 05:28 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: It was entirely fictional.

Hmmm, you do have some possibilities... The question is which ancient sources you believe in...
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!