Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Truth in Stereotype

Truth in Stereotype
Charges of racism, sexism, homophobia and the like often times are lodged at individuals based on statements that adhere to stereotype to a degree.  Stereotype accuracy should be assessed in a probabilistic fashion by inspecting how likely a generic statement is to be true when applied to individuals respective of the relevant groups.

Information that is accurately descriptive of a group does not necessarily imply any type of causation whatsoever. It is still valuable in some way is it not?
Information that is generally true but not absolutely true is still quite valuable. Political correctness is a stumbling block in this type of discussion. Discussions about trends are very valuable. And understanding of what a trend is essential however.

Negative stereotypes have been linked to prejudice and discrimination. The wholesale dismissal of stereotypes that extends to all perceptions of group differences has a serious disadvantage. The larger the difference between the groups, the more obvious it is that the stereotype to some extent is accurate. All efforts at eradicating demonstrably false stereotypes may be inadvertantly hindered. Outright denial of group differences where they do exist and contribute to the received inequality between groups severely restricts the range of actions that could be taken to address the problem.

Let's look at a small example. A building management company is budgeting for ongoing remodeling efforts. They have budgeted to change the diaper changing stations in female restrooms at a higher rate then diaper changing stations in male restrooms based on data. Is this a sexist faux pas in some fashion?
The following 2 users Like Vorpal's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Aliza

Truth in Stereotype
What?
The following 1 user Likes Inkubus's post:
  • rocinantexyz

Truth in Stereotype
(12-06-2022, 02:07 AM)Inkubus Wrote: What?

You heard me.

Truth in Stereotype
You can always tell who made the thread
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Szuchow, skyking, rocinantexyz

Truth in Stereotype

Female bad, man oppressed and suffering. That's all this troll has ever truly had and wanted to say (and some enlightened ideas about whose fault it is when a female gets raped).

But at least he has "good intentions". Or something Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • Szuchow

Truth in Stereotype
(12-06-2022, 02:15 AM)Vorpal Wrote:

You heard me.

I hear you troll.

Truth in Stereotype
Does anyone recall the trouble Sam Harris got into? He interviewed the author of the bell curve in a podcast. He tried to glean information based on group data and was criticized sharply by the liberal media. He argued that it's possible to look at differences based on race.  He thought it a laudable goal to discern the differences in cognitive test scores so that policy decisions could be made to reduce those differences.  He was a pretty much labelled a racist.

Truth in Stereotype
(12-06-2022, 02:01 AM)Vorpal Wrote: Stereotype accuracy should be assessed in a probabilistic fashion by inspecting how likely a generic statement is to be true when applied to individuals respective of the relevant groups.

I prefer treating individuals as individuals. What value do you think stereotypes hold when looking at people?
On hiatus.

Truth in Stereotype
(12-06-2022, 03:12 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 02:01 AM)Vorpal Wrote: Stereotype accuracy should be assessed in a probabilistic fashion by inspecting how likely a generic statement is to be true when applied to individuals respective of the relevant groups.

I prefer treating individuals as individuals. What value do you think stereotypes hold when looking at people?

Well sure, in personal life. But, when it comes to planning for the future, group information is valuable in decisions regarding engineering and policy.  Should we pretend our population is more homogeneous than it is ? Shouldn't we tailor aspects based on group differences rather than pretending a genericized norm will meet all needs?

Truth in Stereotype
(12-06-2022, 03:22 AM)Vorpal Wrote: But, when it comes to planning for the future, group information is valuable in decisions regarding engineering and policy.  Should we pretend our population is more homogeneous than it is ? Shouldn't we tailor aspects based on group differences rather than pretending a genericized norm will meet all needs?

So you think stereotypes should be accommodated when policy-makers are planning things? And how do stereotypes affecting engineering? Can you lay this line of thinking out?

I don't think we should pretend our society is homogeneous, which is precisely why I reject treating groups of people as homogeneous units.

Tailoring how we treat individuals based upon group norms is rather like driving two-penny nails with a six-pound sledgehammer. I don't have a problem with treating each individual as an individual regardless of race, creed, or gender. What need is there to lump them into a category and going at it?
On hiatus.

Truth in Stereotype
The very tools used to make the groupings lend themselves to racism and oppression.
test signature

Truth in Stereotype
(12-06-2022, 03:04 AM)Vorpal Wrote: Does anyone recall the trouble Sam Harris got into? He interviewed the author of the bell curve in a podcast. He tried to glean information based on group data and was criticized sharply by the liberal media. He argued that it's possible to look at differences based on race.  He thought it a laudable goal to discern the differences in cognitive test scores so that policy decisions could be made to reduce those differences.  He was a pretty much labelled a racist.

Or you could take 10 seconds to think critically and figure out why racial IQ differences are bullshit.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Truth in Stereotype
(12-06-2022, 02:16 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 03:04 AM)Vorpal Wrote: Does anyone recall the trouble Sam Harris got into? He interviewed the author of the bell curve in a podcast. He tried to glean information based on group data and was criticized sharply by the liberal media. He argued that it's possible to look at differences based on race.  He thought it a laudable goal to discern the differences in cognitive test scores so that policy decisions could be made to reduce those differences.  He was a pretty much labelled a racist.

Or you could take 10 seconds to think critically and figure out why racial IQ differences are bullshit.

Last time I checked this was a discussion  forum.  Please show your work or you won't get full credit.

Truth in Stereotype
(12-06-2022, 03:46 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 03:22 AM)Vorpal Wrote: But, when it comes to planning for the future, group information is valuable in decisions regarding engineering and policy.  Should we pretend our population is more homogeneous than it is ? Shouldn't we tailor aspects based on group differences rather than pretending a genericized norm will meet all needs?

So you think stereotypes should be accommodated when policy-makers are planning things? And how do stereotypes affecting engineering? Can you lay this line of thinking out?

I don't think we should pretend our society is homogeneous, which is precisely why I reject treating groups of people as homogeneous units.

Tailoring how we treat individuals based upon group norms is rather like driving two-penny nails with a six-pound sledgehammer. I don't have a problem with treating each individual as an individual regardless of race, creed, or gender. What need is there to lump them into a category and going at it?

An engineering school asked it's students to write about design issues related to designing a new building to house their classrooms.  One student included specifics about bathroom facilities.  He included one two-toilet bathroom for women and one six toilet bathroom (including three urinals) for men on each floor. He was downgraded for this detail on the basis of unfairness.  He defended his position in class and was brought before the ethics board of the university.  Do you think the student should be disciplined?

Truth in Stereotype
An engineering school? What was the M/F ratio?
The following 1 user Likes Inkubus's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Truth in Stereotype
(12-06-2022, 03:17 PM)Inkubus Wrote: An engineering school? What was the M/F ratio?

Fifteen percent women.

They hope to recruit more women going forward.

Truth in Stereotype
(12-06-2022, 02:01 AM)Vorpal Wrote: Let's look at a small example. A building management company is budgeting for ongoing remodeling efforts. They have budgeted to change the diaper changing stations in female restrooms at a higher rate then diaper changing stations in male restrooms based on data. Is this a sexist faux pas in some fashion?

Why would they have a separate budget for male and female bathroom changing stations instead of one budget line for diaper changing stations generally
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

The following 1 user Likes Aegon's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Truth in Stereotype
(12-06-2022, 07:37 PM)Aegon Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 02:01 AM)Vorpal Wrote: Let's look at a small example. A building management company is budgeting for ongoing remodeling efforts. They have budgeted to change the diaper changing stations in female restrooms at a higher rate then diaper changing stations in male restrooms based on data. Is this a sexist faux pas in some fashion?

Why would they have a separate budget for male and female bathroom changing stations instead of one budget line for diaper changing stations generally
It is one budget. But, the projected wear and tear is different.  The stations in the  women's room wear out faster than the ones in the men's room.  Thus, they are not replaced as frequently in the men's room.

Truth in Stereotype
No fuax pas to keep the equipment in good working order. If a guy comes in and misuses the men's room baby station and breaks it off prematurely, I'd expect it to get fixed pronto.
test signature

Truth in Stereotype
(12-06-2022, 08:02 PM)skyking Wrote: No fuax pas to keep the equipment in good working order. If a guy comes in and misuses the men's room baby station and breaks it off prematurely, I'd expect it to get fixed pronto.

The question is: is there anything wrong with predicting that women will change diapers more than men, and planning maintenance accordingly?

Truth in Stereotype
What I don't understand is why people are continuing to swallow the OP's troll bait.
The following 5 users Like rocinantexyz's post:
  • Vera, skyking, julep, Deesse23, TheGentlemanBastard

Truth in Stereotype
(12-06-2022, 10:19 PM)rocinantexyz Wrote: What I don't understand is why people are continuing to swallow the OP's troll bait.

Because there is a chance OP is serious. Though likely a troll.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • rocinantexyz

Truth in Stereotype
(12-06-2022, 03:06 PM)Vorpal Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 03:46 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: So you think stereotypes should be accommodated when policy-makers are planning things? And how do stereotypes affecting engineering? Can you lay this line of thinking out?

An engineering school asked it's students to write about design issues related to designing a new building to house their classrooms.  One student included specifics about bathroom facilities.  He included one two-toilet bathroom for women and one six toilet bathroom (including three urinals) for men on each floor. He was downgraded for this detail on the basis of unfairness.  He defended his position in class and was brought before the ethics board of the university.  Do you think the student should be disciplined?

That depends. What's the gender ratio in the school? Are two toilets sufficient to serve the female population? Does the male population need six toilets? Which school was this where this student was ethically disciplined for a design study? Did he say anything in his defense that brought on the further inquiry?

Also, since most bodily waste is urine, and men can pee standing up while women generally cannot, his design would seem pretty wasteful. Wouldn't it be more economical to give the men's room more urinals and fewer toilets?
On hiatus.

Truth in Stereotype
(12-06-2022, 10:47 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 10:19 PM)rocinantexyz Wrote: What I don't understand is why people are continuing to swallow the OP's troll bait.

Because there is a chance OP is serious. Though likely a troll.

Yes, he's serious. In his hatred (oh, I'm sorry, was it fear? Was he hurt by nasty, rape-claiming and ear-flicking females? I forget, at this point, what the consensus on our loveable misogynist and rape apologist is) of women and his pathetically lame, not even thinly-veiled attempts at finding new, ever more pathetic and puerile ways of proving how oppressed men are and how evil, entitled and dangerous females are.

He and the myriad of manosphere trash like him are deadly serious. Often literally.

But let's keep on pretending that he really *is* here with good intentions and is willfully being misunderstood and misjudged by the big ole, intolerant meanies of this forum. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

Truth in Stereotype
(12-06-2022, 10:47 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Because there is a chance OP is serious. Though likely a troll.
When they doubled down on subtracting apples from oranges; I figured it was safe to assume they are not serious and ignored them.

eta: seeing quotes from them since from other users posts has supported that assumption, imo.