Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Deep Quotes

Favorite Deep Quotes
Post some of your favorite quotations that you deem to be profound. Here's one of my favorite quotations that I deem to be profound:

"We now realize that we know nothing of the intrinsic quality of physical phenomena except when they happen to be sensations, and therefore there is no reason to be surprised that some are sensations, or to suppose that the others are totally unlike sensations. The gap between mind and matter has been filled in, partly by new views on the mind, but much more by the realization that physics tells us nothing as to the intrinsic character of matter." - Bertrand Russell
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 4 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Gwaithmir, GirlyMan, vulcanlogician, LonaWolf

Favorite Deep Quotes
"Our minds are the subjective experiences of our having objective brains." -- Dr. J. Allan Hobson, sleep and dream researcher
The following 3 users Like Alan V's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, GirlyMan, Mathilda

Favorite Deep Quotes
Quote:So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.

Franklin D. Roosevelt, Inaugural Address, March 4, 1933.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • GirlyMan, Thumpalumpacus, EvieTheAvocado

Favorite Deep Quotes
"Whence arose all the horrid assassinations of whole nations of men, women, and infants, with which the Bible is filled; and the bloody persecutions, and tortures unto death and religious wars, that since that time have laid Europe in blood and ashes; whence arose they, but from this impious thing called revealed religion, and this monstrous belief that God has spoken to man? The lies of the Bible have been the cause of the one, and the lies of the Testament of the other." (Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason, 1794) Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • GirlyMan, Thumpalumpacus, EvieTheAvocado

Favorite Deep Quotes
(11-03-2018, 01:13 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote: "Our minds are the subjective experiences of our having objective brains." -- Dr. J. Allan Hobson, sleep and dream researcher

Very true!
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

Favorite Deep Quotes
"The more you struggle to live, the less you live. Give up on the notion that you must be sure of what you are doing. Instead, surrender to what is real within you, for that alone is sure... you are above everything distressing." - Spinoza

The following 3 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Kim, GirlyMan, Mark

Favorite Deep Quotes
"Rub her feet."

Lazarus Long
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Smercury44, GirlyMan

Favorite Deep Quotes
The only Zen you can find on the tops of mountains is the Zen you bring up there.
-Robert Pirsig
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 7 users Like Chas's post:
  • Smercury44, Paleophyte, Gwaithmir, GirlyMan, Thumpalumpacus, Gawdzilla Sama, Mark

Favorite Deep Quotes
"What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everything unutterably small or great in your life will have to return to you, all in the same succession and sequence—even this spider and this moonlight between the trees, and even this moment and I myself. The eternal hourglass of existence is turned upside down again and again, and you with it, speck of dust!'

Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: 'You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine.' If this thought gained possession of you, it would change you as you are or perhaps crush you. The question in each and every thing, 'Do you desire this once more and innumerable times more?' would lie upon your actions as the greatest weight. Or how well disposed would you have to become to yourself and to life to crave nothing more fervently than this ultimate eternal confirmation and seal?" - Nietszche, Aphorism 341, "The Greatest Weight"

Big Grin
Amor fati.
The following 2 users Like GirlyMan's post:
  • vulcanlogician, Mark

Favorite Deep Quotes
"My formula for greatness in a human being is amor fati: that one wants nothing to be different, not forward, not backward, not in all eternity. Not merely bear what is necessary, still less conceal it—all idealism is mendacity in the face of what is necessary—but love it." - Nietszche, "Why I am So Clever", Ecce Homo
Amor fati.
The following 2 users Like GirlyMan's post:
  • vulcanlogician, EvieTheAvocado

Favorite Deep Quotes
I have been routinely accused of being cynical by people who ironically understand morality in the most cynical possible way. In keeping with my cynical character, my favorite quote is "Polly wants a cracker."

Favorite Deep Quotes
Two from Frank Herbert:

"What senses do we lack that we do not perceive entire worlds around us?"

... and:

"Those who see only what they wish are doomed to rot in the stink of their own perceptions."

Then there's Mark Twain:

"Never argue with an idiot. He'll pull you down to his level, and then beat you with experience."
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Mark, Tres Leches

Favorite Deep Quotes
“Catholicism cannot be reconciled with naturalism or rationalism.” (Pope Leo XIII)

Indeed! Something I observed when I was still in grade school. Hmm
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Szuchow, EvieTheAvocado

Favorite Deep Quotes
(11-05-2018, 04:04 PM)Yonadav Wrote: I have been routinely accused of being cynical by people who ironically understand morality in the most cynical possible way. In keeping with my cynical character, my favorite quote is "Polly wants a cracker."

That reads like you are a parrot with no original or novel ideas of your own.
Amor fati.
The following 3 users Like GirlyMan's post:
  • Yonadav, Chas, Szuchow

Favorite Deep Quotes
(11-06-2018, 02:27 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 04:04 PM)Yonadav Wrote: I have been routinely accused of being cynical by people who ironically understand morality in the most cynical possible way. In keeping with my cynical character, my favorite quote is "Polly wants a cracker."

That reads like you are a parrot with no original or novel ideas of your own.

Polly is flourishing, Girly.

Favorite Deep Quotes
"Buk-buk, buk buggawk!"

Gleepy the Hen
The following 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post:
  • Tres Leches

Favorite Deep Quotes
(11-04-2018, 03:28 AM)Chas Wrote: The only Zen you can find on the tops of mountains is the Zen you bring up there.
-Robert Pirsig

Zo, climbing mountains is a Zen and a shame.

Favorite Deep Quotes
Varlam Shalamov: “There is a much that a man should not see, should not know, and if he should see it, it is better for him to die".

Vasily Grossman: "Man and fascism cannot co-exist. If fascism conquers, man will cease to exist and there will remain only man-like creatures that have undergone an internal transformation. But if man, man who is endowed with reason and kindness, should conquer, then Fascism must perish, and those who have submitted to it will once again become people".

Karl Marx: "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and a soul of souless conditions. It is the opium of the people" .
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 3 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • GirlyMan, vulcanlogician, Gwaithmir

Favorite Deep Quotes
“Nine ships there were: four for Elendil, and for Isildur three, and for Anárion two; and they fled before the black gale out of the twilight of doom into the darkness of the world. And the deeps rose beneath them in towering anger, and the waves like unto the mountains moving with great caps of writhen snow bore them up amid the wreckage of the clouds, and after many days cast them away upon the shores of Middle Earth.

“And Erú spake, saying: ‘Behold! These lands are forever yours from the white shores of the sea isles and coastal regions to the green forests, fair plains and valleys, and great mountain ranges.’

“And, thus, did Elendil stand upon the sandy beach of the new land and proclaim: ‘Out of the Great Sea to Middle Earth I have come. Here I shall dwell, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.’” (The Silmarillion: Akallabêth: 75-77)
Gandalf
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Alan V

Favorite Deep Quotes
‘No real belief, however trifling and fragmentary it may seem, is ever truly insignificant; it prepares us to receive more of its like, confirms those which resembled it before, and weakens others; and so gradually it lays a stealthy train in our inmost thoughts, which may someday explode into overt action, and leave its stamp upon our character.’ ~ William Kingdon Clifford

Believing without evidence is always morally wrong & The Ethics of Belief (1877)
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce

Favorite Deep Quotes
It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

-or-

In the face of hopelessness and discontent, it is more worthwhile to do some good, however small, in response than to complain about the situation.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 3 users Like Chas's post:
  • vulcanlogician, Mark, Tres Leches

Favorite Deep Quotes
(11-03-2018, 01:53 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: "Rub her feet."

Lazarus Long

I would if she'd let me.

Favorite Deep Quotes
(11-04-2018, 08:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote: "My formula for greatness in a human being is amor fati: that one wants nothing to be different, not forward, not backward, not in all eternity. Not merely bear what is necessary, still less conceal it—all idealism is mendacity in the face of what is necessary—but love it." - Nietszche, "Why I am So Clever", Ecce Homo

I absolutely prefer this quote to the previous one.

This one is definitely very profound.

And a fun quote to truly follow and live up to.

Favorite Deep Quotes
(11-06-2018, 12:42 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Then there's Mark Twain:

"Never argue with an idiot. He'll pull you down to his level, and then beat you with experience."

Someone has actually Graphiti-ed this quote on one of the garbage bins in my neighborhood, believe it or not.

The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Favorite Deep Quotes
"It is an insult to God to believe in God. For on the one hand it is to suppose that he has perpetrated acts of incalculable cruelty. On the other hand, it is to suppose that he has perversely given his human creatures an instrument—their intellect—which must inevitably lead them, if they are dispassionate and honest, to deny his existence. It is tempting to conclude that if he exists, it is the atheists and agnostics that he loves best, among those with any pretensions to education. For they are the ones who have taken him most seriously." - Galen Strawson

The following 3 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • vulcanlogician, Alan V, Gwaithmir