Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The IT Thread

The IT Thread
(10-08-2019, 10:45 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Some of that was in English.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-chang...windows-10

You can always use more private and reliable DNS servers, and in this guide we'll show how to change these settings on Windows 10.

If you use Windows and I suspect you do, here is how to set up using static DNS servers.  I suggest Cloudflare's DNS server at 1.1.1.1 which has done far better for me that ATT ever did.  Google's DNS server is 8.8.8.8 which is a good backup DNS server.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The IT Thread
For any Australians out there who want to try a static DNS server set up, you may want to google for the best Australian static DNS servers. That should work better than a server on the other side of Earth.

https://www.dnsaustralia.net.au/

Fast & Secure Public DNS Servers Australia | Ultra Fast DNS Resolution | High Speed Links

Speed Up Your Internet Browsing For Free. Secure your Internet Connection With DNS Australia
Australian DNS Servers | Fastest DNS Servers In Australia With Content Filtering & DNS Firewall.
Recursive DNS Servers
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • SYZ

The IT Thread
A new COVID-19-themed malware has been reported as spreading through Emails.

Microsoft says the email contains an Office file that uses the aging Excel 4.0 macros,
which—in turn—deploy, when opened, a remote access tool named NetSupport Manager.
Both are legitimate tools redeployed by hackers to fulfill different malicious goals.

The emails purport to come from The Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center
bearing the header "WHO COVID-19 SITUATION REPORT".

The Excel files open w/ security warning and show a graph of supposed coronavirus
cases in the US. If allowed to run, the malicious Excel 4.0 macro downloads and runs
NetSupport Manager RAT.

Once the NetSupport Manager RAT is deployed, further files are downloaded, including
a few .dll, .ini, and other .exe files, a VBScript, and an obfuscated PowerSploit-based
PowerShell script. When the procedure is complete, it connects to a Command and Control
center to await further commands.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

The IT Thread
nevermind
2+2=4
The following 1 user Likes leerob's post:
  • skyking

The IT Thread
Lately I've been having an issue with PostImage.

When taking a screenshot, the boundaries of the image region you select sometimes shift
when you download them.  They often move inwardly so that a part of the chosen image is
cropped out, and seems to be happening randomly from image to image.

My posting today about David Wanker clearly shows this at the right-hand edge, and the lower edge.

Any thoughts?  Anybody else here use PostImage, or is there better image capture software?

Huh

The IT Thread
I use Postimage, but I hadn't encountered that. Is it happening when you take the screenshot or when you post it to Postimage? I wasn't aware Postimage was involved in screenshots.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

The IT Thread
I'm not concerned about this spyware.  No way it can corrupt my phone.

[Image: E6rd0KlVUA0YxUk?format=jpg&name=medium]

A major journalistic investigation has found evidence of malicious software being used by
governments around the world, including allegations of spying on prominent individuals.
Reports thus far allude to a surveillance effort reminiscent of an Orwellian nightmare, in
which the spyware can capture keystrokes, intercept communications, track the device
and use the camera and microphone to spy on the user.

Usually, rooting [allowing users of the Android mobile operating system to attain privileged
control  on an Android device] is done by the user to install applications and games from
non-supported app stores, or re-enable a functionality that was disabled by the manufacturer.

Illegal rooting removes the security controls embedded in an Android operating system, and
is typically a combination of configuration changes and a "hack" of core elements by the
spyware in order to run modified code.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Alan V, Dom

The IT Thread
(05-16-2021, 02:35 PM)SYZ Wrote: Lately I've been having an issue with PostImage.

When taking a screenshot, the boundaries of the image region you select sometimes shift
when you download them.  They often move inwardly so that a part of the chosen image is
cropped out, and seems to be happening randomly from image to image.

My posting today about David Wanker clearly shows this at the right-hand edge, and the lower edge.

Any thoughts?  Anybody else here use PostImage, or is there better image capture software?

Huh

No problems with it here...
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • SYZ

The IT Thread
(07-22-2021, 06:48 AM)SYZ Wrote: I'm not concerned about this spyware.  No way it can corrupt my phone.

[Image: E6rd0KlVUA0YxUk?format=jpg&name=medium]

A major journalistic investigation has found evidence of malicious software being used by
governments around the world, including allegations of spying on prominent individuals.
Reports thus far allude to a surveillance effort reminiscent of an Orwellian nightmare, in
which the spyware can capture keystrokes, intercept communications, track the device
and use the camera and microphone to spy on the user.

Usually, rooting [allowing users of the Android mobile operating system to attain privileged
control  on an Android device] is done by the user to install applications and games from
non-supported app stores, or re-enable a functionality that was disabled by the manufacturer.

Illegal rooting removes the security controls embedded in an Android operating system, and
is typically a combination of configuration changes and a "hack" of core elements by the
spyware in order to run modified code.

I hardly ever use mine and it isn't synched with anything. All they will find on it is the number of the power company (I call when there is an outage), the doc, pharmacy and the like. I also don't use the number online ever for anything. Go knock yourselves out with it.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

The IT Thread
(07-22-2021, 07:28 PM)Dom Wrote: I hardly ever use mine and it isn't synched with anything. All they will find on it is the number of the power company (I call when there is an outage), the doc, pharmacy and the like. I also don't use the number online ever for anything. Go knock yourselves out with it.

Yep... same here.  I'd be lucky to make one mobile call a week, and on a busy
week I might get two or three SMSs.  Mine is a so-called "seniors" phone; no
apps, no internet access, no touch screen, no Bluetooth, no nuthin' LOL.

[Image: Model302-telephone_p22.jpg]

This is the type of phone we used when I was a kid.  Was never hacked—the line's
impedance was monitored by the telco and any abnormalities such as tapping were
reported.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Cavebear, Dom

The IT Thread
(07-23-2021, 05:39 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 07:28 PM)Dom Wrote: I hardly ever use mine and it isn't synched with anything. All they will find on it is the number of the power company (I call when there is an outage), the doc, pharmacy and the like. I also don't use the number online ever for anything. Go knock yourselves out with it.

Yep... same here.  I'd be lucky to make one mobile call a week, and on a busy
week I might get two or three SMSs.  Mine is a so-called "seniors" phone; no
apps, no internet access, no touch screen, no Bluetooth, no nuthin' LOL.

[Image: Model302-telephone_p22.jpg]

This is the type of phone we used when I was a kid.  Was never hacked—the line's
reported.

And it couldn't be broken even if someone threw it across the room. LOL!
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Dom, SYZ

The IT Thread
If you’re worried about your online privacy or feel you’re losing control over how your personal
information is collected and used, you’re not alone. Roughly six in 10 Americans believe it’s not
possible to go through day-to-day life without having their data collected:

[Image: Screenshot-2021-10-09-at-05-39-27-Roughl...o-thro.png]

And...

•  About 80% of Americans say they are asked to agree to a privacy policy at least monthly,
   including one-quarter who say this happens almost every day,

•  About 50% of Americans feel as if they have no control over who can access their online
   searches,

•  Americans are more accepting of using personal data to help improve schools or assess
   potential terrorist threats, but are more wary of some other data uses,

•  Most Americans are not confident that companies would publicly admit to misusing a
   consumer's data,

•  A majority of Americans feel as if they have little control over data collected about them
   by companies and the government.
The following 5 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Alan V, Antonio, Dom, Tres Leches, Mr Greene

The IT Thread
"This is the type of phone we used when I was a kid.  Was never hacked—the line's
reported."

When I was a kid we had party lines
 All I know is that I know nothing
The following 1 user Likes Antonio's post:
  • Fireball

The IT Thread
Will this work?

[Image: uP7rxZo.png]
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
The following 1 user Likes PopeyesPappy's post:
  • Fireball

The IT Thread
(10-09-2021, 03:44 AM)PopeyesPappy Wrote: Will this work?

[Image: uP7rxZo.png]

Yes, but your truck will get lower mileage.  Big Grin
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

The IT Thread
I'm having an interesting problem.  My mouse keeps disconnecting and reconnecting.  I get this stupid little Windows "Ding" every time it happens.  But it doesn't happen all the time.

It's mainly noticeable on computer games but sometimes it happens during web surfing although, curiously, not on AD.org.  Maybe god is an atheist?

Tongue
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

The IT Thread
(10-09-2021, 04:04 AM)Minimalist Wrote: I'm having an interesting problem.  My mouse keeps disconnecting and reconnecting.  I get this stupid little Windows "Ding" every time it happens.  But it doesn't happen all the time.

It's mainly noticeable on computer games but sometimes it happens during web surfing although, curiously, not on AD.org.  Maybe god is an atheist?

Wireless? Check battery.
Wired? Check cable wear at mouse casing.

Huh

The IT Thread
I ordered a new mouse from Amazon a few moments ago.  It will be delivered today...Finally went wireless this time.

I use an ergonomic mouse which fits into your hand like a handshake.  Much less stress on the wrist and at our age who needs more stress?

The IT Thread
Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?   Huh
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

The IT Thread
Yeah, in several different USB ports. 

There's a whole thing on the web about the mouse disconnecting and reconnecting and how it is somehow tied to a Windows Update.  But none of the fixes they suggested worked and the mouse is old and has a lot of "mileage" on it.

I plugged in an older optical mouse that I keep for emergencies and it worked.

The IT Thread
I was talking to pappy. "It was a joke, son, a joke."

Whoops. Not only the wrong thread but the wrong forum entirely.

Vivekananda

The IT Thread
(10-09-2021, 03:41 PM)Dānu Wrote: Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?   Huh

BTW, that used to be one of the punchlines to:

"As the actress said to the bishop,"

The IT Thread
A wireless mouse is invariably better for gamers, but for non-gamers the differences are minimal.
I've always used wired, and also never had to suffer from flat batteries at some critical time.

Deadpan Coffee Drinker
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • mordant

The IT Thread
(10-08-2021, 08:17 PM)Antonio Wrote: "This is the type of phone we used when I was a kid.  Was never hacked—the line's
reported."

When I was a kid we had party lines
In rural north central Illinois where I lived as a kid, until about 1970 we had 4 digit phone #s (no local exchange) and 2 to 4 household party lines. I don't recall how long distance was handled, it probably involved calling the operator and giving her the number. But back then long distance was pricey and we rarely used it.

It seemed to be a law that at least one person you were sharing the line with was some old biddy with nothing else to do but listen in on your calls.

Around 1970 they finally did away with it at least in town (population 750) but it persisted in the surrounding farmsteads for a couple more years beyond that I believe.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Antonio, SYZ

The IT Thread
Well, my wireless mouse was delivered and seems to work fine. 

I've got to try it on my current computer game.  That was where I was having the most, if not exclusive, problems.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • mordant