Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
On This Day In History

On This Day In History
Man, when I drove across Nebraska I was at first enchanted by the rippling gold of young wheatfields, then struggling to stay awake, and then looking for some place to pee where I wouldn't fetch a ticket. How many people are actually happy to hit Wyoming? I know I was -- not that much changed, until I drove up to Casper.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Cavebear, Kim

On This Day In History
(09-09-2021, 10:08 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Man, when I drove across Nebraska I was at first enchanted by the rippling gold of young wheatfields, then struggling to stay awake, and the looking for some place to pee where I wouldn't fetch a ticket. How many people are actually happy to hit Wyoming? I know I was -- not that much changed, until I drove up to Casper.

I flew across country on business a few times and damn there are large empty spots I assume are full of CORN! I saw like one twinkling light every 100 miles or so... Lightening bugs in the wilderness!
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

On This Day In History
I went from Indianapolis to San Diego via Greyhound (just to see if the country was still there) and noticed that we were never out of sight of an electric light after dark. People think we're going to "run out of land"?
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

On This Day In History
Cone on down here, we still have long stretches of unlit highway. Of course, we ain't Route 66, either.
On hiatus.

On This Day In History
(09-10-2021, 01:09 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Cone on down here, we still have long stretches of unlit highway. Of course, we ain't Route 66, either.

I went I-40 to Vegas and then south to Diego.

On This Day In History
(09-09-2021, 06:20 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 06:07 PM)Vera Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 06:00 PM)Szuchow Wrote: What else can be expected from me?

Nothing much dearest Vera, just typical Eastern European fare I'm afraid. Being drunk and saying that things were better under tsar communism.

Ah, wish I could also be drinking (while preparing to invade Western Europe, stealing their jobs *while* living on the dole). Being a woman - an Eastern European woman! - however, I'm too busy being a sexy slut, whose life mission is to find a good, hard-working Western man and spend ALL of his money.

Before I get to be 28 because this is what happens to us:

[Image: SEAiX2v3PC2f2FEQuvMUDxNUdDvUFBLKGxLzH7kF...9ffcd8c1e1]

Many humour, much wit! Wow!

I wish you luck in your endeavor. I'm off to beat my [non-existent] wife while I will listen to the mass and priests preaching love.
How is your stealing-cars-in-Germany-and-taking-them-to-Poland business going lately?  Modest
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • Szuchow

On This Day In History
(09-10-2021, 06:40 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 06:20 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 06:07 PM)Vera Wrote: Ah, wish I could also be drinking (while preparing to invade Western Europe, stealing their jobs *while* living on the dole). Being a woman - an Eastern European woman! - however, I'm too busy being a sexy slut, whose life mission is to find a good, hard-working Western man and spend ALL of his money.

Before I get to be 28 because this is what happens to us:

[Image: SEAiX2v3PC2f2FEQuvMUDxNUdDvUFBLKGxLzH7kF...9ffcd8c1e1]

Many humour, much wit! Wow!

I wish you luck in your endeavor. I'm off to beat my [non-existent] wife while I will listen to the mass and priests preaching love.
How is your stealing-cars-in-Germany-and-taking-them-to-Poland business going lately?  Modest

Not good. Too many people are doing the same.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Deesse23

On This Day In History
(09-10-2021, 01:30 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(09-10-2021, 06:40 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 06:20 PM)Szuchow Wrote: I wish you luck in your endeavor. I'm off to beat my [non-existent] wife while I will listen to the mass and priests preaching love.

Confirmed, after asking a lot of German people here. Thumbs Up
R.I.P. Hannes
  • Szuchow

On This Day In History
(09-10-2021, 02:03 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(09-10-2021, 01:30 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(09-10-2021, 06:40 AM)Deesse23 Wrote: How is your stealing-cars-in-Germany-and-taking-them-to-Poland business going lately?  Modest

Confirmed, after asking a lot of German people here.  Thumbs Up

Don;t know about others but I'm taking revenge for Grandma gold.  Whistling
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.

On This Day In History
(09-09-2021, 09:42 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 08:42 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 04:20 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I had a cousin who came back from Vietnam and was sent to Ft. Riley, Kansas.

He also said that in some ways he preferred Vietnam to Kansas.

Kansas must really suck.
The drive from St. Louis to Denver is as boring as all fuck. Four hundred miles of Kansas to the first cold beer is insane.

All he talked about was corn.

As far as the eye could see.

Fucking corn.

Wheat.
We don't do corn - we do wheat.
Big misconception - that whole, "I'm as corny as Kansas in August..." - total songwriting bullshit.

Nebraska does corn. Maybe your friend remembers Nebraska. Ft. Riley is in Kansas but, he may have landed in Omaha & come down to Riley through the corn fields - that's a common route & a quick drive. Shy

On This Day In History
(09-10-2021, 03:51 PM)Kim Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 09:42 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 08:42 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The drive from St. Louis to Denver is as boring as all fuck. Four hundred miles of Kansas to the first cold beer is insane.

All he talked about was corn.

Fucking corn.

Wheat.  
Big misconception - that whole, "I'm as corny as Kansas in August..." - total songwriting bullshit.

Nebraska does corn.  Maybe your friend remembers Nebraska.  Ft. Riley is in Kansas but, he may have landed in Omaha & come down to Riley through the corn fields - that's a common route & a quick drive.    Shy

Yabut, the lyrics don't work as well.  "I'm as corny as Nebraska in August."  Guitar   It throws off the beat of the music off so you're stuck with Kansas being associated with corn.  Sorry.      Whatcanisay
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Kim

On This Day In History
(09-10-2021, 04:12 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(09-10-2021, 03:51 PM)Kim Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 09:42 PM)Minimalist Wrote: All he talked about was corn.

Fucking corn.

Wheat.  

Nebraska does corn.  Maybe your friend remembers Nebraska.  Ft. Riley is in Kansas but, he may have landed in Omaha & come down to Riley through the corn fields - that's a common route & a quick drive.    Shy

Yabut, the lyrics don't work as well.  "I'm as corny as Nebraska in August."  Guitar   It throws off the beat of the music off so you're stuck with Kansas being associated with corn.  Sorry.      Whatcanisay

We're also always confused with Nebraska.
When L Frank Baum wrote the Wizard of Oz, he described the Kansas countryside where Dorothy lived. However, Baum had only ever been to Kansas once - on a book tour & couldn't recall anything about it. So, he described Nebraska - I guess he'd been there more than once. Dunno

It's speculated that he chose Kansas as Dorothy's home because a tornado had gone through there as he was writing the story.

As for corn, yea - Iowa does corn, Illinois really does corn but Kansas, not so much.

Truth be told, I've looked askance at Mitzi Gaynor ever since. Dodgy

On This Day In History
That's not what the USDA says.

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Quick_Stats/Ag...ate=KANSAS

They show corn being second to wheat - and only 500,000 acres behind - and well ahead of soybeans which were in third place.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Kim

On This Day In History
(09-10-2021, 05:26 PM)Minimalist Wrote: That's not what the USDA says.

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Quick_Stats/Ag...ate=KANSAS

They show corn being second to wheat - and only 500,000 acres behind - and well ahead of soybeans which were in third place.

Hmm ... Consider that may have gone up in the past several years, since Cargill moved in. Ethanol, lecithin, syrup ... corn is their cash cow. I hate those fucks almost as much as Monsanto. Dodgy

As climate changes go into full swing, it will be interesting to see what comes out ahead in a decade. Luckily & thankfully, my family no longer farms. Shy

On This Day In History
(09-10-2021, 01:47 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(09-10-2021, 01:09 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Cone on down here, we still have long stretches of unlit highway. Of course, we ain't Route 66, either.

I went I-40 to Vegas and then south to Diego.

Lots of I-40 is repurposed 66.
On hiatus.

On This Day In History
(09-10-2021, 03:51 PM)Kim Wrote: Wheat.  

What you call "wheat" is called "corn" by most of the people who use the terms.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Antonio

On This Day In History
At 30,000 feet in a plane at night, huge dark areas of wheat look a LOT like huge dark areas of corn. Or desert for that matter... A tiny speck of light from a small town here and there, surrounded by 1,000s of square miles of dark. It isn't that much different in daylight either, but there are no spots of lights...

It's why I always chose the window seat. As little as there seems to see at 30,000', the vastness is impressive.
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Kim

On This Day In History
British Gen. Burgoyne surrendered in Saratoga, N.Y. during the American Revolution

Completing one of the most colossal clusterfucks in military history.
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Antonio

On This Day In History
(10-17-2021, 06:08 PM)Minimalist Wrote: British Gen. Burgoyne surrendered in Saratoga, N.Y. during the American Revolution

Completing one of the most colossal clusterfucks in military history.

"These damnable Yankee rabble fire at us from behind rocks and trees, taking full advantage of the natural cover of the land. They refuse to fight like civilized men!" (Gen. Burgoyne)  Chuckle
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 5 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Deesse23, Minimalist, Antonio, Dānu

On This Day In History
Threads merged

Thread stickied
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

On This Day In History
19 October 202 BCE:  Battle of Zama: Hannibal Barca and the Carthaginian army are
defeated by Roman legions under general Scipio Africanus, ending 2nd Punic War.

—As if anyone didn't already know that!    Tongue
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 3 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Cavebear, Antonio, Deesse23

On This Day In History
(10-19-2021, 11:06 AM)SYZ Wrote: 19 October 202 BCE:  Battle of Zama: Hannibal Barca and the Carthaginian army are

Well, not the specific date from memory. But the general event, yes.

On This Day In History
(10-19-2021, 11:06 AM)SYZ Wrote: 19 October 202 BCE:  Battle of Zama: Hannibal Barca and the Carthaginian army are

Not necessarily the right date. There have been quite a few calendar reforms since then.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

On This Day In History
Leipzig:

90.000 corpses litter the fields around Leipzig, after a 3 day long battle between 200.000 troops under Napoleon I fighting a 350.000 alliance of Prussia, Russia, Austria and Sweden. The most notable one being prince Poniatowski, commanding the rearguard, made a marshal by Napoleon just 3 days prior. He drowned after a bridge had been blown up prematurely and he tried to cross the river on his horse.

The "Battle of nations", the biggest and most costly pre WWI battle in Europe.

The size of the monument says it all.
[Image: 15_-voelkerschlachtdenkmal-leipzig.jpg]
R.I.P. Hannes
  • Minimalist

On This Day In History
Zama did cause Carthage to surrender but Hannibal's fate was sealed in 207 when his brother, Hasdrubal, was defeated and killed at the Metaurus while trying to bring reinforcements from Spain.  Afterwards the consul, Nero, upon returning to the south where his army faced Hannibal, had Hasdrubal's head tossed over the wall as a sort of a calling card.  Hannibal spent the final few years in Italy penned up in Bruttium ( the toe of the boot) while the Romans sat behind their defenses and let him rot.

There was one last battle in Northern Italy in 200 led by a recalcitrant Carthaginian commander who had survived the Metaurus leading a bunch of smelly gauls but they were crushed.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Cavebear