Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Social Network?

Atheist Social Network?
Apparently Aron Ra is promoting a new Atheist Social Network.

Personally I am reluctant to join (herding cats yada yada) but I've always liked the idea of an atheist social network, especially if it can be far more science-focused than, say Facebook. Thoughts?

Here is the link: https://atheist.social/
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Kim

Atheist Social Network?
Dunno... it could easily end up as a cesspool of trolls, bullies, liars, homophobes, religious nutters,
and all the rest of the societal garbage that Facebook seems to attract. I'm thinking that atheist
forums—like ours—provide enough interaction for a widely spread atheist "community".
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 7 users Like SYZ's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, c172, Fireball, brunumb, Dancefortwo, Kim, KevinM1

Atheist Social Network?
What's wrong with this place?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • skyking, Free

Atheist Social Network?
I'm here.
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Antonio

Atheist Social Network?
Yeah, I really fail to see the point or even how it'd be implemented. Are you going to have to prove your atheism in order to join? What if you're an "agnostic" (yeah, I know that the two aren't really mutually exclusive and the term agnostic is often ignorantly misused).

And anyway, I'm kinda wary of a social media (not a forum or a group and even on a forum theists - of the honest, not "prostalising" type are allowed and some are, as all know, admins and I don't even mean just Aliza) that is based around a specific identity (if you can call it that). Just like I am wary of people who define themselves by one part of who they are and that part becomes their whole identity... makes me think they don't have much of a personality or anything of substance to offer (this is BY FAR not limited to religion, but also politics, sexuality and a handful others).

All in all, I get forums (it's like a club, a group based on a common characteristic or a hobby or what have you), a whole social media seems... unnecessary and frankly, a bit iffy.

(Also wasn't Aron Ra a bit of a jerk or am I confusing him with someone else?)
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 4 users Like Vera's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Kim, Antonio, KevinM1

Atheist Social Network?
(09-02-2021, 05:22 AM)Minimalist Wrote: What's wrong with this place?

Nothing, but I don't see why there should be only one place where atheists can connect with each other. Seems pretty limiting. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Atheist Social Network?
(09-02-2021, 12:07 PM)Vera Wrote: Yeah, I really fail to see the point or even how it'd be implemented. Are you going to have to prove your atheism in order to join? What if you're an "agnostic" (yeah, I know that the two aren't really mutually exclusive and the term agnostic is often ignorantly misused).

And anyway, I'm kinda wary of a social media (not a forum or a group and even on a forum theists - of the honest, not "prostalising" type are allowed and some are, as all know, admins and I don't even mean just Aliza) that is based around a specific identity (if you can call it that).  Just like I am wary of people who define themselves by one part of who they are and that part becomes their whole identity... makes me think they don't have much of a personality or anything of substance to offer (this is BY FAR not limited to religion, but also politics, sexuality and a handful others).

All in all, I get forums (it's like a club, a group based on a common characteristic or a hobby or what have you), a whole social media seems... unnecessary and frankly, a bit iffy.

(Also wasn't Aron Ra a bit of a jerk or am I confusing him with someone else?)

I don't recall Ra being a jerk, but you might be thinking of Matt Dillahunty, who I'm not as much a fan of but I can appreciate at times.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • jimhabegger

Atheist Social Network?
(09-02-2021, 12:23 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: I don't recall Ra being a jerk, but you might be thinking of Matt Dillahunty, who I'm not as much a fan of but I can appreciate at times.

Yeah, I think it was him (they kinda look similar to me). In all fairness, I didn't know any atheist "celebrities" before I joined TTA ages ago... and I've only read God is Not Great (while I was in Uruguay, actually... appropriate, as they are the least religious country in Latin America actually Nod )... and the first volume of Dawkins' stupefyingly boring and self-important autobiography which I translated... and never got paid for (not his fault obviously Tongue )
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Kim

Atheist Social Network?
(09-02-2021, 02:27 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Thoughts?

As with everything atheist, I lost interest. Some ten years ago, I would have had a look, but today, I got the feeling of already having seen it all. Heard all the arguments and counter arguments and they just keep repeating themselves over and over. It's pretty much the same as with the religious. There's only so much to say and read on the matter.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 6 users Like abaris's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, c172, Kim, Dom, KevinM1, Tres Leches

Atheist Social Network?
Not my cuppa joe.
On hiatus.
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Kim, SYZ, KevinM1

Atheist Social Network?
I'll wait and see if it establishes itself first.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Kim

Atheist Social Network?
I don't really see the point of it but to each his own I guess.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Kim

Atheist Social Network?
I dare say it will evaporate just like that other silly idea; the "Brights" movement.

RW
The following 4 users Like Inkubus's post:
  • Kim, GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, KevinM1

Atheist Social Network?
That would be a "No" for me too.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • SYZ

Atheist Social Network?
I'll probably have a look once it's running and populated. But I like it here, we have a cool community and we've been together a long time. If I have a look, I'll be looking for things we may want to add here. Can't imagine though what that would be.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Tres Leches

Atheist Social Network?
(09-02-2021, 12:22 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:

Nothing, but I don't see why there should be only one place where atheists can connect with each other. Seems pretty limiting.

There's a large number of atheist forums globally, and while some of them are
pretty insignificant or irrelevant, there are a lot of really good ones. (like ours  Sun  )

Possibly the largest one is https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/ which
has 2.7 million members, and more than 1,500 of them on line at any one time.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Atheist Social Network?
Years ago I was on Dawkins' forum.  I couldn't keep up.  I'd make a post and go back 20 minutes later and there would be 4 pages of replies to read through.

The whole place was like having a job!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Antonio, Dānu, Cavebear

Atheist Social Network?
(09-02-2021, 05:06 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(09-02-2021, 12:22 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:

Nothing, but I don't see why there should be only one place where atheists can connect with each other. Seems pretty limiting.

There's a large number of atheist forums globally, and while some of them are
pretty insignificant or irrelevant, there are a lot of really good ones. (like ours  Sun  )

Possibly the largest one is https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/ which
has 2.7 million members, and more than 1,500 of them on line at any one time.

I go there a lot.  There's a debate sub-forum that's accessable in a drop down discussion tab on the upper left side of the web page.  You can debate a Christian, Debate Religion, Debate an atheist and several others.  There's also a "Bored in Church" subforum.  People bored out of their skulls in church text stuff while in church.  It's not that active though.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • SYZ

Atheist Social Network?
More power to them if it actually works out, but I have 0 interest in such a place.
The following 1 user Likes KevinM1's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Atheist Social Network?
Have any of you poked around in there? What a fucking mess.

Atheist Social Network?
(09-02-2021, 10:01 PM)Inkubus Wrote: Have any of you poked around in there? What a fucking mess.

No... I wasn't about to give my email out to yet another site. Any specific things that are bad?

Atheist Social Network?
(09-02-2021, 10:16 PM)KevinM1 Wrote:
(09-02-2021, 10:01 PM)Inkubus Wrote: Have any of you poked around in there? What a fucking mess.

No... I wasn't about to give my email out to yet another site.  Any specific things that are bad?

Ah no I didn't register I just poked around as best I could, what a horror to navigate and whatever you enter in the search box brings up the same posts.

And it's ugly.

Atheist Social Network?
I've observed that social networks, including sites for atheists, are often dominated by or defer to male voices and apart from the keep gods away from me stuff I have a hard time relating on a personal level. And as abaris said, there's not much new to be said about atheism. Our site fits the bill for me. But if the new social network plants a seed in others to drop religion, it's a good thing.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 3 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Dom, GenesisNemesis, julep

Atheist Social Network?
I took a look. It's pretty buggy. It can't even send out a confirmation email so that you can use it.

I don't have time for it right now anyway, was just curious.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Inkubus

Atheist Social Network?
I had a look at it a couple of days ago. It doesn't seem to be really up and running yet. I'll have another look next week.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • GenesisNemesis