Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does God actually do?

I thought of another cognitive dissonance in Christianity during my walk today. Have you heard that saying, "God helps those who help themselves"? I was always taught this in the manner of "if you pray to pass the test, you have to put the work in and study. You can't just sit around and expect to pass the test based on prayer alone."

Why not? If I study for it, what is God's part in it? Like, where exactly is he helping? I would expect, if I study for something and memorize/understand the material, then yeah, no duh. I'll probably pass it. Prayer or no payer. Yet if I said a prayer, fully expecting to pass the test when not doing anything for it, wouldn't that be an example of devoted faith? Like, I believe so much I'll pass the test because I asked God to help me, that I don't need to study.
The following 6 users Like Teddy's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Kim, skyking, KevinM1, Phaedrus, mordant

Well, you've got to also be ready & willing to cover your god's ass ... you know ... in case he screws something up. Angel

The thing is, faith is a two way street. It's a challenge. You have hold up your end of Pascal's wager that your god has made with you. "God has faith in me, so much that I've been chosen to do this. If I can't do this then, I won't be chosen ... somewhere down the line."
 When all is said & done, If you've done all you can then, very obviously, whatever transpires must be the god's will. God's will is up to you.

Are you willing? How willing? How much will you give to your god?

Now, worship me. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Excellent point.  Invoking a god's "help" disincentivizes doing your utmost; it rewards being half-assed.  Some might argue that they are doing their utmost and are just adding prayer as a "no-cost" kicker that "can't hurt".  But prayer takes energy, and some degree of focus, necessarily diluting the full energy and focus possible without it.  Those who pray aren't likely to pray to a jug of milk, also "no-cost" and "can't hurt", but a waste of energy and focus.

Meanwhile there's the bothersome question of why should your prayer elicit a useful effect when 10,000 people elsewhere with identical belief in the identical god praying in exactly the same fashion get no effect?  Someone believing they're really "that special" compared to everyone else is a social menace because they have no reason act carefully.
The following 1 user Likes airportkid's post:
  • Teddy

God can't do anything.
She has to sit very very still.
Very still.
Otherwise she will disturb her infinite past and infinite future by just scratching her ass.
Test
The following 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Kim, Teddy, Inkubus, KevinM1, skyking

On a similar note, I hear theists claim that talent is a gift from god.  So according to that type of thinking a classical violinist who has put in thousands of hours of practice over 15 or so years doesn't get the credit...god does.   Or an Olympic athletic who has all the right physical attributes and genetics and has put in years of training is "a gift from god".   Theists claimed this about gymnast, Somone Biles, even though she trained since she was a little kid.   It's genetics and one's environment that makes stuff like that happen.  A god has nothing to do with it.

Or, on the other hand........

Let's say a god does fiddle around with genetics,  then is a baby born with no brain (anencephaly) is that also a gift from god?  How about a child born with a genetic condition that allows the bones to break easily (can't think of the name of the disease)  and causes terrible pain.  Is that a gift from god?  How about malaria which has killed a couple billion people over human history, is that a gift from god?
                                                         T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Kim, Teddy, KevinM1, brunumb

(08-31-2021, 06:15 PM)Teddy Wrote: I thought of another cognitive dissonance in Christianity during my walk today. Have you heard that saying, "God helps those who help themselves"? 

Sure, I've heard it, but it's not Biblical. It goes back to ancient Greek mythology. It gets repeated here and there, for instance by Benjamin Franklin.

(08-31-2021, 07:08 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Somone Biles

Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine.  It's Simone Biles.  Simone is a French name, and my mother also has it as her first name (we have some French Canadian heritage in our family).

Now that that's out of the way, let's keep in mind that religious folks also invoke their purported creator's name for everything ranging from finding their lost car keys to eating a really good burrito to having an orgasm.  The breadth of its invocation is a sign that there are no real defined situations for when its powers are supposed to be invoked, which, for them, is a feature not a bug (see also: god working in mysterious ways).  For us, it's a sure sign that all this talk about a magical plan (that we can sometimes foil?  Dunno ) from an all-seeing, all-powerful creator is just hogwash.  

Quote:Let's say a god does fiddle around with genetics,  then is a baby born with no brain (anencephaly) is that also a gift from god?  How about a child born with a genetic condition that allows the bones to break easily (can't think of the name of the disease)  and causes terrible pain.  Is that a gift from god?  How about malaria which has killed a couple billion people over human history, is that a gift from god?

This is exactly my life: https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseas...-congenita  It's believed that my Arthrogryposis was/is caused by MD.  In any event, the notion that a god 'blessed' me with this is... unsettling.
The following 4 users Like KevinM1's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Inkubus, c172, Teddy

(09-01-2021, 12:55 AM)KevinM1 Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 07:08 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Somone Biles

Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine.  It's Simone Biles.  Simone is a French name, and my mother also has it as her first name (we have some French Canadian heritage in our family).

Now that that's out of the way, let's keep in mind that religious folks also invoke their purported creator's name for everything ranging from finding their lost car keys to eating a really good burrito to having an orgasm.  The breadth of its invocation is a sign that there's no real defined situations for when its powers are supposed to be invoked, which, for them, is a feature not a bug (see also: god working in mysterious ways).  For us, it's a sure sign that for all this talk about a magical plan (that we can sometimes foil?  Dunno ) from an all-seeing, all-powerful creator is just hogwash.  

Quote:Let's say a god does fiddle around with genetics,  then is a baby born with no brain (anencephaly) is that also a gift from god?  How about a child born with a genetic condition that allows the bones to break easily (can't think of the name of the disease)  and causes terrible pain.  Is that a gift from god?  How about malaria which has killed a couple billion people over human history, is that a gift from god?

This is exactly my life: https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseas...-congenita  It's believed that my Arthrogryposis was/is caused by MD.  In any event, the notion that a god 'blessed' me with this is... unsettling.

Kevin, you don't know me very well but I'm known for my bad spelling.  Sorry about the Simone.  Actually in that particular case I think I hit the wrong key by mistake.  

My nephew has a form of Muscular Dystrophy and isn't expected to live beyond the age of 8 or so.  The parents are trying eveything medically to help their son.  It's a heartbreaking situation.   If a god created the world he created this shit too and he's either too weak or too stupid to do anything about it or he's a mean ass bastard and a complete dick or he doesn't exist.  The Epicurian Paradox and the problem of suffering, it's one of many, many reason's to not believe in a god.
                                                         T4618
The following 5 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • KevinM1, Inkubus, brunumb, Teddy, Gwaithmir

Ah, shit... I'm so sorry to hear that.

Yeah, no caring god would make disabled kids. Or give them cancer. Or have them live in places where their limbs are blown off by landmines. Or....
The following 3 users Like KevinM1's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Cavebear, Gwaithmir

(09-01-2021, 01:18 AM)KevinM1 Wrote: Ah, shit... I'm so sorry to hear that.

Yeah, no caring god would make disabled kids.  Or give them cancer.  Or have them live in places where their limbs are blown off by landmines.  Or....

Theists say "God has his reasons". What an excuse to forgive everything... I get ill on that one.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Teddy, KevinM1

Whatever God may actually do, the thing he must surely excel at is hidingThumbs Up
No gods necessary
The following 5 users Like brunumb's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Teddy, skyking, Alan V, Kim

Posted this before. Its a story, and then a song, by Tim Minchin on the power of god + Prayer.

The following 3 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Inkubus, Teddy, SYZ

(09-01-2021, 07:48 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: Posted this before. Its a story, and then a song, by Tim Minchin on the power of god + Prayer.

OK, I listened to that video for a couple of minutes. I couldn't figure out what he was getting at. But whether he was atheist or not, he is ONE BLITHERING IDIOT! LOL!

(09-01-2021, 09:27 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 07:48 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: Posted this before. Its a story, and then a song, by Tim Minchin on the power of god + Prayer.

OK, I listened to that video for a couple of minutes.  I couldn't figure out what he was getting at.  But whether he was atheist or not, he is ONE BLITHERING IDIOT!  LOL!

Oh man, if you haven't made it to the song you should keep watching. He's a HARD atheist. The story is about a guy he met who tried to prove god caused a miracle, as the guy/the local congregation prayed for the healing of his mums bad eyes - which supposedly then actually worked.

The comedian then goes onto sing about it and point out how dumbasss that all is. very funny.
The following 4 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Inkubus, Cavebear, SYZ, brunumb

(09-01-2021, 09:27 AM)Cavebear Wrote: OK, I listened to that video for a couple of minutes.  I couldn't figure out what he was getting at.  But whether he was atheist or not, he is ONE BLITHERING IDIOT!  LOL!

Unrelated to the thread title but this is classic Minchin, and its a bit easier to follow.

(09-01-2021, 10:28 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 09:27 AM)Cavebear Wrote:

OK, I listened to that video for a couple of minutes.  I couldn't figure out what he was getting at.  But whether he was atheist or not, he is ONE BLITHERING IDIOT!  LOL!

Oh man, if you haven't made it to the song you should keep watching. He's a HARD atheist. The story is about a guy he met who tried to prove god caused a miracle, as the guy/the local congregation prayed for the healing of his mums bad eyes - which supposedly then actually worked.

The comedian then goes onto sing about it and point out how dumbasss that all is. very funny.

OK, I listened to the whole thing. I get he is an atheist. But the song still sucks, musically. I wouldn't listen to it twice. To each, their own.

Yes his singing sucks but then that's not what the guy's about.
The following 1 user Likes Inkubus's post:
  • Cavebear

(09-01-2021, 12:19 PM)Inkubus Wrote: Yes his singing sucks but then that's not what the guy's about.

OK, but what's the point if the song makes no sense musically as spoken? Does he do something different off stage that makes more sense? I'm not trying to rag the guy, just don't get him...

(09-01-2021, 12:28 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 12:19 PM)Inkubus Wrote: Yes his singing sucks but then that's not what the guy's about.

OK, but what's the point if the song makes no sense musically as spoken?  Does he do something different off stage that makes more sense?  I'm not trying to rag the guy, just don't get him...

He's more like a stand up comedian who adds a little music to his routine.   He does a song about the pope that wouldn't make Catholics very happy.   He's a pretty good pianist.  He started studying piano when he was 8 so he's pretty comfortable with the 88 keys.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Cavebear, Teddy

(09-01-2021, 03:30 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 12:28 PM)Cavebear Wrote:

OK, but what's the point if the song makes no sense musically as spoken?  Does he do something different off stage that makes more sense?  I'm not trying to rag the guy, just don't get him...

He's more like a stand up comedian who adds a little music to his routine.   He does a song about the pope that wouldn't make Catholics very happy.   He's a pretty good pianist.  He started studying piano when he was 8 so he's pretty comfortable with the 88 keys.

OK. I just thought the pre-song patter and the song itself sucked. I mean, he seriously seemed drugged out. Give me Bill Maher any time...

I fully understand that there are some people "you just don't get" especially if they are unfamiliar. But if you offerred to pay me $10 to watch that video again, I would decline the offer.

I will admit though, that the song lyrics were densely compact and it was difficult to sing from memory... I'm not disrespecting his ability. In that regard, it was kind of impressive.

(09-01-2021, 12:28 PM)Cavebear Wrote: OK, but what's the point if the song makes no sense musically as spoken?  Does he do something different off stage that makes more sense?  I'm not trying to rag the guy, just don't get him...

Mate... I'm sorry, but it's more than obvious you "don't get it". You've told us that four times LOL.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(09-01-2021, 03:43 PM)Cavebear Wrote: OK.  I just thought the pre-song patter and the song itself sucked.  I mean, he seriously seemed drugged out.  Give me Bill Maher any time...  

Ok, here's one you should get.

The following 1 user Likes Inkubus's post:
  • SYZ

(08-31-2021, 06:15 PM)Teddy Wrote: I thought of another cognitive dissonance in Christianity during my walk today. Have you heard that saying, "God helps those who help themselves"? I was always taught this in the manner of "if you pray to pass the test, you have to put the work in and study. You can't just sit around and expect to pass the test based on prayer alone."

Why not? If I study for it, what is God's part in it? Like, where exactly is he helping? I would expect, if I study for something and memorize/understand the material, then yeah, no duh. I'll probably pass it. Prayer or no payer. Yet if I said a prayer, fully expecting to pass the test when not doing anything for it, wouldn't that be an example of devoted faith? Like, I believe so much I'll pass the test because I asked God to help me, that I don't need to study.

Why should god care about person doing nothing to win and expecting divine assistance to solve all their problems? I don't see any dissonance here - christianity that I'm familiar with does not promise everything on silver platter for token effort.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.

(09-01-2021, 12:55 AM)KevinM1 Wrote: Now that that's out of the way, let's keep in mind that religious folks also invoke their purported creator's name for everything ranging from finding their lost car keys to eating a really good burrito to having an orgasm.  The breadth of its invocation is a sign that there are no real defined situations for when its powers are supposed to be invoked, which, for them, is a feature not a bug (see also: god working in mysterious ways).  For us, it's a sure sign that all this talk about a magical plan (that we can sometimes foil?  Dunno ) from an all-seeing, all-powerful creator is just hogwash.

In addition to that they can get quite excited when their alleged god kills a shitload of people that they don't like!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/01/13/haiti.p...index.html

Quote:Pat Robertson says Haiti paying for 'pact to the devil'

Yeah.... loving fucking xtian shitheads!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • KevinM1

(09-01-2021, 06:27 AM)brunumb Wrote: Whatever God may actually do, the thing he must surely excel at is hidingThumbs Up

It's so true.  It's also true that invibile garden fairies are real good at hiding.   I've never seen any magical invisible unicorns but I'm told they're hiding everywhere.   Sneaky little imps, I must say.
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Teddy, brunumb, Cavebear