Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
what's your tribe?

what's your tribe?
Pretty much as established an objective fact about human nature as any is that an individual seeks and develops tribal relationships.  So, how big or small, in your mind, is your tribe?  With what groups, if any, do you identify?  I think we can all rule out "Family and close friends" first as our tribe, you get a call in the middle of the night needing your help, you help without asking too many questions because it's the most nuclear unit.  (I shouldn't need to explain exceptions, of course this dad or that sister who is a demonstrated cunt/psychopath/neglect etc isn't in the tribe).
The following 5 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Tres Leches, Alan V, GenesisNemesis, Aliza, Phaedrus

what's your tribe?
Asshole.
Major asshole!
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Aliza

what's your tribe?
That's an interesting question. I have a number of identifications:

artist
atheist
Democrat
environmentalist
Thoreauvian
introvert
writer

I wish I had one stronger identification instead of so many weak ones.
The following 7 users Like Alan V's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, vulcanlogician, c172, Tres Leches, GenesisNemesis, Dom, Aliza

what's your tribe?
TW: some bluntness ahead

Atheist.
Disabled.
Spina bifida.
American soccer (MLS, NWSL; USWNT, USMNT, Seattle Sounders, Portland Thorns)
women's gymnastics (NCAA, elite, USA)
other soccer (Eredivisie [both m/w], Liga MX [m/w], Premier League, miscellaneous admin/front office/league news on social media)
political independent
emergency buff
abuse patient (molestation, ableism)
social media dependent (most of society seems to see that as a bad thing, but in my case, it's a freeing and educating thing, and a cultural identifier)
music buff (drone, ambient techno, 80's/90's mainstream, old jazz, indie, in no particular order)
80's nostalgic
Is this sig thing on?
The following 7 users Like c172's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Tres Leches, Alan V, GenesisNemesis, Dom, Aliza, skyking

what's your tribe?
If I had to pick one it would be urban dwellers. I feel safe in every meaning of the word when I'm in a giant city surrounded by lots of...other urban dwellers. I love the anonymity of city crowds yet I feel like I fit in the best among other city people.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 6 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Alan V, Dom, Aliza, GenesisNemesis, jerry mcmasters, trdsf

what's your tribe?
Humanist
Progressive/"leftist"
Atheist
Death positive
People born with genetic disorders
Introvert
Autism spectrum 
Adult child of alcoholics
Sexual/emotional abuse survivors
Classical (and electronic) music lovers
Gamer
Book lovers
Nature lovers

Maybe some more but that's it for now.  Consider

Oh yeah, I forgot "Jews".  Tongue
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dom, Aliza, Alan V, jerry mcmasters

what's your tribe?
Atheist
introvert
nature observer
dog lover
cat lover
bird lover
Death with dignity proponent
sexual abuse survivor
lover of most types of music
cultural diversity proponent
herder of feral cats
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 4 users Like Dom's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Aliza, Alan V, jerry mcmasters

what's your tribe?
(07-16-2021, 12:31 AM)no one Wrote: Asshole.
Major asshole!

Oh please... you're no one at all.
The following 2 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Dom, GenesisNemesis

what's your tribe?
I'm not even that. Less than zero.

what's your tribe?
Dog lover
General animal lover (NOT in the biblical sense) 
Mental illness survivor (so far) 
Addiction survivor (so far) 
Nursing/medical community
Find a grave community (it's a website based interest group) 
Food and cooking community 
Humourist (often inappropriate but hey you don't have to like it)
Bibliophile
WW1 and Vietnam War history enthusiast.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 6 users Like adey67's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Dom, Alan V, GenesisNemesis, Deesse23, Thumpalumpacus

what's your tribe?
Most Morlock. (When on a sea-going command I worked in the enginerooms, the nether depths of the ship.)
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

what's your tribe?
Musicians
ASD community 
Writers
god, ugh
The following 4 users Like julep's post:
  • Dom, Alan V, GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

what's your tribe?
(07-16-2021, 03:02 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Humanist
Progressive/"leftist"
Atheist
Death positive
People born with genetic disorders
Introvert
Autism spectrum 
Adult child of alcoholics
Sexual/emotional abuse survivors
Classical (and electronic) music lovers
Gamer
Book lovers
Nature lovers

Maybe some more but that's it for now.  Consider

Oh yeah, I forgot "Jews".  Tongue

Did you just copy and paste this from Hitler's personal checklist of Final Solution targets? Sadcryface Hug
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Alan V

what's your tribe?
Anti-Fideist*
Anti-Fascist
Atheist
Member of working class
Leftist
Reader

*https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fideism
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 6 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Tres Leches, julep, GenesisNemesis, Alan V, adey67, skyking

what's your tribe?
Grumpy old men.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcXwZO0Gumfoz8Q3OtMUV...w&usqp=CAU]
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 7 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Aliza, Dom, Deesse23, Thumpalumpacus, Tres Leches, adey67, TheGentlemanBastard

what's your tribe?
Human. And I've been increasingly unhappy about it too. Dodgy

“I wish I loved the Human Race;
I wish I loved its silly face;
I wish I liked the way it walks;
I wish I liked the way it talks;
And when I’m introduced to one,
I wish I thought “What Jolly Fun!”
― Sir Walter Alexander Raleigh

I detest groups, group mentality, group loyalty... anything with groups, really.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 5 users Like Vera's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, Tres Leches, Kim, Mr Greene

what's your tribe?
(07-16-2021, 02:47 PM)Vera Wrote: Human. And I've been increasingly unhappy about it too. Dodgy

“I wish I loved the Human Race;
I wish I loved its silly face;
I wish I liked the way it walks;
I wish I liked the way it talks;
And when I’m introduced to one,
I wish I thought “What Jolly Fun!”
― Sir Walter Alexander Raleigh

I detest groups, group mentality, group loyalty... anything with groups, really.

Probably you are a fellow introvert then.   Big Grin
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Alan V, Mr Greene

what's your tribe?
(07-16-2021, 03:15 PM)Dom Wrote: Probably you are a fellow introvert then.   Big Grin

More than this. I mean, I am that too, but I'm starting to feel less and less in common with a lot of what "makes us human"... which is actually the animal part of us. Which I have no problem with, being animals, I just... wish we weren't such powerless but proud slaves to our instincts when we could at least *try* and maybe use our brains a bit more (though maybe we can't, who knows...). Like I've said before, the human brain may well be the most complex thing in the universe but then it's also the biggest waste in it Undecided

"Beasts, birds, and insects, even to the minutest and meanest of their kind, act with the unerring providence of instinct; man, the while, who possesses a higher faculty, abuses it, and therefore goes blundering on."
Robert Southey

I don't even agree with this exactly, we don't abuse it, we just refuse to use it (god, all them poems I've been translating must've done a number on my brain hobo ).
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Kim

what's your tribe?
(07-16-2021, 03:22 PM)Vera Wrote:
(07-16-2021, 03:15 PM)Dom Wrote: Probably you are a fellow introvert then.   Big Grin

More than this. I mean, I am that too, but I'm starting to feel less and less in common with a lot of what "makes us human"... which is actually the animal part of us. Which I have no problem with, being animals, I just... wish we weren't such powerless but proud slaves to our instincts when we could at least *try* and maybe use our brains a bit more (though maybe we can't, who knows...). Like I've said before, the human brain may well be the most complex thing in the universe but then it's also the biggest waste in it Undecided

"Beasts, birds, and insects, even to the minutest and meanest of their kind, act with the unerring providence of instinct; man, the while, who possesses a higher faculty, abuses it, and therefore goes blundering on."
Robert Southey

I don't even agree with this exactly, we don't abuse it, we just refuse to use it (god, all them poems I've been translating must've done a number on my brain  hobo ).

Our conscious mind is only evoked when the hardware and software in our brains fail to bring a distinct result. Most of how we react to things never reaches the conscious mind, it is determined by our genes plus experience plus chemistry. We like to think we are in control, but we can only make conscious decisions about things our brain forwards to us.

Free will is but a tiny part of what makes us tick. 

That said, I tend to prefer the company of dogs and cats etc. to that of humans myself. I understand them better.
  • Alan V, GenesisNemesis

what's your tribe?
(07-16-2021, 03:17 AM)Dom Wrote: Atheist
introvert
nature observer
dog lover
cat lover
bird lover
Death with dignity proponent
sexual abuse survivor
lover of most types of music
cultural diversity proponent
herder of feral cats

Here's a strange bird I didn't know existed until yesterday.

My tribe has always been the insufferable know-it-alls. Facepalm
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Alan V, Dom

what's your tribe?
Weird mix of cynicism and naivety.
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 3 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, Tres Leches

what's your tribe?
(07-16-2021, 04:45 PM)Dom Wrote: Our conscious mind is only evoked when the hardware and software in our brains fail to bring a distinct result. Most of how we react to things never reaches the conscious mind, it is determined by our genes plus experience plus chemistry. We like to think we are in control, but we can only make conscious decisions about things our brain forwards to us.

That said, I tend to prefer the company of dogs and cats etc. to that of humans myself. I understand them better.

Our consciousness oversees a lot of automatic activity in which it doesn't have to actively intervene as long as everything is going smoothly.  That doesn't mean consciousness isn't actively doing its job when we seem to be running on automatic.  We forget most of what happens as it rolls along, because we only pay attention to each bit for a second.

I've lived with my wife's cats for years, and must add that I would prefer no animals at all in the house.  Ninja adds a bit of chaos to every day, which I could live without.

what's your tribe?
(07-16-2021, 06:20 PM)Alan V Wrote:
(07-16-2021, 04:45 PM)Dom Wrote: Our conscious mind is only evoked when the hardware and software in our brains fail to bring a distinct result. Most of how we react to things never reaches the conscious mind, it is determined by our genes plus experience plus chemistry. We like to think we are in control, but we can only make conscious decisions about things our brain forwards to us.

Our consciousness oversees a lot of automatic activity in which it doesn't have to actively intervene as long as everything is going smoothly.  That doesn't mean consciousness isn't actively doing its job when we seem to be running on automatic.  We forget most of what happens as it rolls along, because we only pay attention to each bit for a second.

I've lived with my wife's cats for years, and must add that I would prefer no animals at all in the house.  Ninja adds a bit of chaos to every day, which I could live without.

I am fascinated with communication with animals - hence likely my time training canines and also raising exotic birds. My companions don't cause any chaos around here - or maybe I don't perceive it the same way you do. I can't even imagine living without animal companions. I don't think I could.

What you call consciousness there is what I call awareness, but it really makes no difference. Without it we would bump into stuff etc.
  • Alan V, Thumpalumpacus

what's your tribe?
(07-16-2021, 06:47 PM)Dom Wrote:
(07-16-2021, 06:20 PM)Alan V Wrote:

I am fascinated with communication with animals - hence likely my time training canines and also raising exotic birds. My companions don't cause any chaos around here - or maybe I don't perceive it the same way you do. I can't even imagine living without animal companions. I don't think I could.

What you call consciousness there is what I call awareness, but it really makes no difference. Without it we would bump into stuff etc.

Yeah, but Dom you don't have Ninja.  I've heard stories about that cat.  One time he ja;lidjf a;lsleej

asdf
avcxa
sdf

kfal;sdjk;kkrerrrrr
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • c172

what's your tribe?
(07-16-2021, 06:51 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Yeah, but Dom you don't have Ninja.  I've heard stories about that cat.  One time he ja;lidjf a;lsleej

asdf
avcxa
sdf

kfal;sdjk;kkrerrrrr

Just last night, my wife got me out of bed right after I retired for the day to help her clean the poop off the cat's butt.   Confused

That kind of thing....

[/off-topic]
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • SYZ