Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
The American Insurrection (topical thread)

Apparently, whatever constitution they swore to uphold has a "reinstatement" provision.  Perhaps it was the confederate constitution or the Enabling Act of 1933?

I'm pretty sure that last one was written in German and these dumb redneck fucks can't even speak English.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ex-trump-lawyer...50195.html

Quote:Ex-Trump lawyer Sidney Powell showed up to a QAnon conference in a biker vest and falsely claimed Trump could be 'reinstated' as president

Perhaps some of our resident Trumptard morons can explain the legalities of this one to us.

M/H?  The ball is in your court.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Szuchow

No, they're still in Dreamland. This crap relies on complacent Americans to take what they say at face-value, which battle they seem to be winning.
On hiatus.

(06-02-2021, 01:58 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Apparently, whatever constitution they swore to uphold has a "reinstatement" provision.  Perhaps it was the confederate constitution or the Enabling Act of 1933?

I'm pretty sure that last one was written in German and these dumb redneck fucks can't even speak English.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ex-trump-lawyer...50195.html

Quote:Ex-Trump lawyer Sidney Powell showed up to a QAnon conference in a biker vest and falsely claimed Trump could be 'reinstated' as president

Perhaps some of our resident Trumptard morons can explain the legalities of this one to us.

M/H?  The ball is in your court.

Actually, US Southerners DO speak English. Just more "English" than most other Americans do. They held on to the original English accents (being more rural and isolated) than the rest of us USers did. I read a study once that demonstrated that US Appalachian communities spoke very similarly to the rural English even after 3 centuries of separation.

Sorry if this gets slightly off-topic, but it connects...

Things can change though and I am a good example. I grew up in New England and said "pahk da cah in the yahd". When we moved to Virginia, I (well younger brother too) was the only kid from The North. And I was set next to a girl from rural Georgia (Deep South Confederacy for international readers if that helps any) and I couldn't understand a WORD she said (and her, me, I expect).

We moved to Maryland shortly after (120 miles but a decade of difference). My accent wasn't good there either, but Johnny Carson was on TV and I worked to learn "standard midwest US". I met a linguistics teacher in college and she thought I was from Eastern Ohio/Western Pennsylvania. Good enough... But when I told her my linguistic history, her jaw dropped. Big Grin

But when I visited Family in New England, I was back to "pahk da cah in the yahd" in a few days. You hear it, you speak it. Its a fallback accent. At work, I was always standard midwest and that makes more sense to me. Spelling was easier; talking to other employees across the nation was easier.

Today, I find accents fun. I can do several hardly even thinking about it. I suppose that, in Europe, that would be like speaking French/Spanish/Italian.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

Quote:The White House on Thursday batted down the prospect of President Biden appointing his own commission to investigate the events of Jan. 6, saying it is Congress's duty to look into the riots at the Capitol that day.

"As the President has said, the events of January 6th were an unprecedented assault on our democracy — and he believes they deserve a full, and independent, investigation to determine what transpired and ensure it can never happen again," press secretary Jen Psaki said in a statement.

"Congress was attacked on that day, and President Biden firmly agrees with Speaker Pelosi that Congress itself has a unique role and ability to carry out that investigation. Because of that, the President doesn’t plan to appoint his own commission," she added.

"Members of Congress swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, and the President believes they can, and must, do that by putting politics aside and supporting a full and transparent investigation into January 6th.”

Axios first reported the White House's opposition to a presidential commission.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administrat...commission

I think a presidential commission along the lines of the investigation into the Challenger disaster would be better than a congressional inquiry -- though no doubt Republicans would still call it "partisan" on general principles, even before any appointments were made.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Alan V, jerry mcmasters, Dom

(06-04-2021, 02:40 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
Quote:The White House on Thursday batted down the prospect of President Biden appointing his own commission to investigate the events of Jan. 6, saying it is Congress's duty to look into the riots at the Capitol that day.

"As the President has said, the events of January 6th were an unprecedented assault on our democracy — and he believes they deserve a full, and independent, investigation to determine what transpired and ensure it can never happen again," press secretary Jen Psaki said in a statement.

"Congress was attacked on that day, and President Biden firmly agrees with Speaker Pelosi that Congress itself has a unique role and ability to carry out that investigation. Because of that, the President doesn’t plan to appoint his own commission," she added.

"Members of Congress swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, and the President believes they can, and must, do that by putting politics aside and supporting a full and transparent investigation into January 6th.”

I think a presidential commission along the lines of the inquest of the Challenger investigation would be better than a congressional inquiry  -- though no doubt Republicans would still call it "partisan" on general principles, even before any appointments were made.

Sounds reasonable.  I think the worry politicians have about investigations is not their existence but their scope and power, that they're going to have a green light to dig into their email, phone, and texts and unflattering stuff will get leaked to the media, whether it has anything to do with Jan 6 or not.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(06-04-2021, 03:20 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Sounds reasonable.  I think the worry politicians have about investigations is not their existence but their scope and power, that they're going to have a green light to dig into their email, phone, and texts and unflattering stuff will get leaked to the media, whether it has anything to do with Jan 6 or not.

I imagine there's a lot of those sorts of considerations, but they should put nation above self-interest.
On hiatus.

(06-04-2021, 03:20 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 02:40 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

I think a presidential commission along the lines of the inquest of the Challenger investigation would be better than a congressional inquiry  -- though no doubt Republicans would still call it "partisan" on general principles, even before any appointments were made.

Sounds reasonable.  I think the worry politicians have about investigations is not their existence but their scope and power, that they're going to have a green light to dig into their email, phone, and texts and unflattering stuff will get leaked to the media, whether it has anything to do with Jan 6 or not.

Subpoenas are easy to fight, and then they'd need to convince a judge. It would need more teeth for that to be a legitimate worry. I suspect this is your worry, as politicians know these facts.

I think the more prominent worry is that akin to McCarthy having to testify under oath, or face the consequences of refusing. Or that of fighting reasonable requests for documents.

While I'm sure you could convince Mad Hatter it is, it's just hysteria to suggest this is the McCarthy hearings all over again.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(06-04-2021, 03:42 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 03:20 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 02:40 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: https://thehill.com/homenews/administrat...commission

Subpoenas are easy to fight, and then they'd need to convince a judge.  I suspect this is your worry, as politicians know these facts.

It was my worry, so it is good to know no investigation can get the material I suggested.

(06-04-2021, 03:38 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 03:20 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Sounds reasonable.  I think the worry politicians have about investigations is not their existence but their scope and power, that they're going to have a green light to dig into their email, phone, and texts and unflattering stuff will get leaked to the media, whether it has anything to do with Jan 6 or not.

I imagine there's a lot of those sorts of considerations, but they should put nation above self-interest.

If you know it's that unambiguous, then yes, but they know how politics work.  It's not skeevy politicians versus "the good of the nation" it's skeevy politicians versus other skeevy politicians.

(06-04-2021, 03:55 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:

Subpoenas are easy to fight, and then they'd need to convince a judge.  I suspect this is your worry, as politicians know these facts.

It was my worry, so it is good to know no investigation can get the material I suggested.

Yeah, if it originated from the justice department, it might be a more valid concern. But even then, despite numerous accusations of partisanship, the Meuller investigation used a fairly delicate touch.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(06-04-2021, 03:57 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: If you know it's that unambiguous, then yes, but they know how politics work.  It's not skeevy politicians versus "the good of the nation" it's skeevy politicians versus other skeevy politicians.

I think it's more important to know these things about our politicians than it is to let them play CYA. Whatever the motives of the person throwing rat -- and it may not be a politician at all -- the facts themselves are what's most important. That crooked pols are afraid their misdeeds might be revealed cuts little ice at all.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dom

The Capitol belongs to us, the people.

Politicians serve us, they are PUBLIC servants. They are used to being scrutinized, it's part of elections and the job. They signed on for it knowingly.

We have a right to know who attacked our capitol, why they did it, who helped them do it, and how to prevent such things in the future.

Politicians have no business preventing us from understanding all facets of this insurrection in order to preserve their privacy - they gave up their privacy when they ran for the job as public servant.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 7 users Like Dom's post:
  • Szuchow, Thumpalumpacus, Alan V, Deesse23, Fireball, TheGentlemanBastard, tomilay

(06-04-2021, 04:56 PM)Dom Wrote: The Capitol belongs to us, the people.

Politicians serve us, they are PUBLIC servants. They are used to being scrutinized, it's part of elections and the job. They signed on for it knowingly.

We have a right to know who attacked our capitol, why they did it, who helped them do it, and how to prevent such things in the future.

Politicians have no business preventing us from understanding all facets of this insurrection in order to preserve their privacy - they gave up their privacy when they ran for the job as public servant.

Bingo -- well-said, indeed.
On hiatus.

(06-04-2021, 03:57 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: If you know it's that unambiguous, then yes, but they know how politics work.  It's not skeevy politicians versus "the good of the nation" it's skeevy politicians versus other skeevy politicians.
And this, ladies and gents, this is Jerrys big equivocation fallacy, right there. As you can see, he has (maybe long ago) separated himself from the United States and being the *sovereign* on whose behalf said politicians are supposed to govern it. He has *abdicated*, given up on his country and his powers to vote, and is content to wach "skeevy politicians versus other skeevy politicians" doing whatever they please.

What a true patriot!
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 2 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • julep, TheGentlemanBastard

Quote:House Democrats mulling their next steps for investigating the Capitol attack of Jan. 6 have reached at least one early verdict: Doing nothing is not an option.

Five months after the rampage, Democrats remain shaken by the violence, resentful of Republicans blocking probes into it and devoted to launching a deep-dive examination — even if that means going it alone.

“It's up to us to figure out how we proceed, but we must proceed,” said Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.). “This is one of the most critical events in American history; this is only the second time the United States Capitol has been under assault physically, and it was from fellow Americans.”

The debate over how to investigate the Jan. 6 attack has shifted internally after Senate Republicans, pressured by former President Trump, blocked bipartisan legislation to create an independent, 9/11-style commission examining the deadly riot. The attack was inspired by Trump’s false claims that the election was stolen, which prompted a mob of his supporters to try to prevent Congress’s certification of his election defeat.

In a call this week with House Democrats, Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) floated four different routes Congress could take: have the Senate vote again on the House-passed bill to create an outside commission; form a select House committee, consisting of lawmakers hand-picked by leaders in both parties; allow several sitting committees to continue their probes into Jan. 6; or empower a single House committee, like Homeland Security or Oversight and Reform, to take the lead on the investigation.

Some Democrats who sit on the House Homeland Security Committee argued that their panel should take on an expanded role in the investigation.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/55679...an-6-probe

No doubt these are just fishing expeditions aimed at digging up dirt on Republicans, right? Certainly we shouldn't worry about the fact that the Congress was violently attacked.

It's very curious indeed why the GOP is so incurious. I bet if those insurrectionists were black members of Antifa the Republican Congresscritters would be screaming for a Congressional or Presidential panel to investigate that.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Alan V, Dom, tomilay

Quote:Certainly we shouldn't worry about the fact that the Congress was violently attacked.

But....but.... they were just tourists.  The republiKKKunts said so.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(06-04-2021, 08:12 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Certainly we shouldn't worry about the fact that the Congress was violently attacked.

I know, right. Just taking selfies, smashing a window or two and throwing the occasional fire extinguisher. I mean, that's what I did visiting the Alhambra.

There may have been beer involved in my case. In my defense, I did not build a gallows.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball

(06-04-2021, 03:55 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:

Politicians are feeding at the public trough.
Everything they do and write should be available for public scrutiny.
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, tomilay

(06-04-2021, 08:35 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 08:12 PM)Minimalist Wrote:

I know, right. Just taking selfies, smashing a window or two and throwing the occasional fire extinguisher. I mean, that's what I did visiting the Alhambra.

There may have been beer involved in my case. In my defense, I did not build a gallows.

You forgot the pooping and peeing on the floor. Tourists always do that.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(06-04-2021, 08:43 PM)Dom Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 08:12 PM)Minimalist Wrote: But....but.... they were just tourists.  The republiKKKunts said so.

Well, American tourists, anyway.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dom

(06-04-2021, 08:12 PM)Minimalist Wrote: But....but.... they were just tourists.  The republiKKKunts said so.

Dude, you were there?!

I swear I was just touring the castle. I can't help when nature calls!
On hiatus.

(06-04-2021, 10:52 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 08:35 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I know, right. Just taking selfies, smashing a window or two and throwing the occasional fire extinguisher. I mean, that's what I did visiting the Alhambra.

Dude, you were there?!

Well, carry a pee jar and a pooper scooper and bag next time! You can use those as weapons, too.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Sure, it's okay to exchange spit with a stone in Ireland, but other bodily fluids? No siree!

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(06-04-2021, 11:04 PM)Dom Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 10:52 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 08:43 PM)Dom Wrote: You forgot the pooping and peeing on the floor. Tourists always do that.

Dude, you were there?!

Well, carry a pee jar and a pooper scooper and bag next time! You can use those as weapons, too.

German by birth, American by thinking ... you're purt' cool!
On hiatus.

(06-04-2021, 07:53 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:
And this, ladies and gents, this is Jerrys big equivocation fallacy, right there.  As you can see, he has (maybe long ago) separated himself from the United States and being the *sovereign* on whose behalf said politicians are supposed to govern it. He has *abdicated*, given up on his country and his powers to vote, and is content to wach "skeevy politicians versus other skeevy politicians" doing whatever they please.

What a true patriot!

That's one way of putting it, I guess.  I do hold politicians in low regard and generally think it's best that their opportunities for mischief be kept to a minimum.