Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dear theists

Dear theists
(05-18-2021, 05:54 PM)Percie Wrote: OK, so you guys think that theists not being your friend is them forcing their beliefs on you... but we're the ones whose beliefs aren't grounded in reality. Got it!

No.

We get that you're only capable of jr high thought, but social shunning is an ACTIVE purposeful act.
People are known to kill themselves over social shunning.
(Remember your Jebus and the Samaritan ? You were INSTRUCTED to accept the "other").
You're not really a Christian are you ?

When you grow up, you will find that adults have all sorts of different beliefs, and most sane adults do not administer belief tests before they extend friendship.
Nor is it necessary. See below ... the best way to win people over is to treat them well.
You're such a pathetic infant. "Not shunning", and friendship are not the same thing.

What are you doing here Percie ?

John 13:35
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • adey67

Dear theists
(05-18-2021, 06:26 PM)Inkubus Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 06:14 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 06:00 PM)Inkubus Wrote: If you were born and brought up in Arizona and have a desire to represent the people of Arizona then why in hell would you move to New York? They don't know you and you don't know them.

The law cannot prevent an atheist from running and if it does, people need to change the law. If the law isn't the problem and it's just that the people of Arizona don't like the candidate -for whatever reason- then the candidate either needs to change themselves to be what the voters want, or they should try somewhere else.

You fucking moron!
I'm done with this place. I'll take a look in a months time if its still here that is.

Guess what! In addition to being a picky voter, I've also been very picky about who I've slept with. The red pill'ers hate shit like that -women choosing their partners based on their personally devised sexual preferences.- I don't give a shit! I'm attracted to who I'm attracted to and fairness doesn't come into play.

I've never once been accused of discrimination for refusing to fuck someone.
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

Dear theists
(05-18-2021, 07:15 PM)Dom Wrote: Why would they come here? I didn't ask them to come here, why would I? I don't care what other people believe.

Seems like the site's a significant part of your life. Seems like it would come up in conversation with friends from time to time. I know that my posting here and in other places comes up in my conversation from time to time. Why wouldn't it?

Dear theists
(05-18-2021, 07:24 PM)Percie Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 07:15 PM)Dom Wrote: Why would they come here? I didn't ask them to come here, why would I? I don't care what other people believe.

Seems like the site's a significant part of your life. Seems like it would come up in conversation with friends from time to time. I know that my posting here and in other places comes up in my conversation from time to time. Why wouldn't it?

Probably because it would cause a barrage of conversion attempts and then true shunning.

My friends all know.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Dear theists

Jumping in here... I don't talk about this site with anyone other than my immediate family. When I lived in a very conservative part of the state, I made a point not to mention religion at all to people I didn't know. I guarantee you there were some Christians who couldn't quite put their finger on me, but no one ever asked me what my religious views were or invited me to their church. I frankly never let anyone close enough to me to make them feel that would be an appropriate invitation anyway.

Dear theists

Holy fuck, but your naivety and ignorance just bleed off the screen. [Image: Eye_Roll.gif]
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

Dear theists
(05-18-2021, 08:35 PM)Dom Wrote: Probably because it would cause a barrage of conversion attempts and then true shunning.

First, I thought you were already experiencing that.
Second, why do you want to be friends with those people?

Quote:My friends all know.

You have friends, so what's the big deal that some religious people won't befriend you?

Still not seeing anyone forcing you to adopt their beliefs.

Dear theists
(05-18-2021, 08:44 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: Holy fuck, but your naivety and ignorance just bleed off the screen. [Image: Eye_Roll.gif]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socratic_m...ppositions.

Dear theists
(05-19-2021, 12:19 PM)Percie Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 08:35 PM)Dom Wrote: Probably because it would cause a barrage of conversion attempts and then true shunning.

You have friends, so what's the big deal that some religious people won't befriend you?

There is a difference between neighbors and friends. My neighbors are not my friends (albeit we acknowledge each other and probably would help each other in some sort of disaster) and my friends are not my neighbors. I live remote, in the country, not many people here. Befriending neighbors doesn't mean we would be bosom buddies. It means we would have friendly conversations when we come across each other. In previous places I lived, neighbors knew each other and were a sort of support system for each other, they cared about each other and looked out for each other. Here, they only care about people who are in their church. 

You don't see what you don't want to see.
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, GenesisNemesis

Dear theists
(05-18-2021, 05:54 PM)Percie Wrote: OK, so you guys think that theists not being your friend is them forcing their beliefs on you... but we're the ones whose beliefs aren't grounded in reality. Got it!

[Image: breaking-news-youre-a-fuxing-wancer-soli...=200%2C200] 
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • adey67

Dear theists
(05-19-2021, 01:32 PM)Dom Wrote:

There is a difference between neighbors and friends. My neighbors are not my friends (albeit we acknowledge each other and probably would help each other in some sort of disaster) and my friends are not my neighbors. I live remote, in the country, not many people here. Befriending neighbors doesn't mean we would be bosom buddies. It means we would have friendly conversations when we come across each other. In previous places I lived, neighbors knew each other and were a sort of support system for each other, they cared about each other and looked out for each other. Here, they only care about people who are in their church. 

Of course your neighbors would help you in a natural disaster! I don't care how cultish they are, when there's a disaster, people come out to help. 

As for friendly conversation with your neighbors, probably don't expect too much if you don't have much common ground to work with. I avoid my neighbors, but I keep a cordial relationship as such that I could borrow something without any kind of awkwardness. To forge that relationship, I've knocked on their door to let them know of some issue or something on their property that I thought they might appreciate being made aware of. I exchange a few polite words, feel them out, and then I leave them alone. I really don't want to talk to my neighbors, and I don't want them feeling comfortable enough to chit chat with me about things other than neighborhood or property related topics.

I did tell a lesbian couple in my neighborhood that I was Jewish when they noticed the mezuzah I had on the doorway. She was like, "Jewish? Yeah, I've heard of the Jews, but I've never known one." I kind of gave her the 10 second rundown and she said, "That's cool! I'm learning new things today, thank you." In spite of being LGBTQ, she and her wife were devout Christians. They had two little kids and they were just living a totally different lifestyle than me. We didn't become friends, but we remained friendly. Smile

Dear theists
When you live in the middle of nowhere, you have eons of common ground. All our properties are affected by the same things, invasive plants and insects, forest fires, and such. We all have an appreciation of nature, and we all encounter bears and coyotes and so on. Most of us keep pets and live stock. I could go on and on, but there is certainly no lack of common ground and quick topics to mention when we run into each other at the market or someplace.

There is a lot more that unites us than separates us. Religion should not be a separator - all but one of my close friends are christian, most of them devout. We just relate on the huge basis of human experience, religion or no religion doesn't define us, it is but a small part of being human. Everyday life, emotions, and experiences are all the same, no matter who you are.
  • airportkid, Aliza

Dear theists
(05-18-2021, 08:35 PM)Dom Wrote: Still not seeing anyone forcing you to adopt their beliefs.

The willful ignorance is strong with this one.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Dear theists
(05-19-2021, 03:17 PM)Dom Wrote: There is a lot more that unites us than separates us. Religion should not be a separator - all but one of my close friends are christian, most of them devout. We just relate on the huge basis of human experience, religion or no religion doesn't define us, it is but a small part of being human. Everyday life, emotions, and experiences are all the same, no matter who you are.

Sounds like devout Christians will be your friend without forcing you to believe anything.

Dear theists
(05-20-2021, 02:45 PM)Percie Wrote:
(05-19-2021, 03:17 PM)Dom Wrote: There is a lot more that unites us than separates us. Religion should not be a separator - all but one of my close friends are christian, most of them devout. We just relate on the huge basis of human experience, religion or no religion doesn't define us, it is but a small part of being human. Everyday life, emotions, and experiences are all the same, no matter who you are.

Sounds like devout Christians will be your friend without forcing you to believe anything.

Not locally, but yes, some are cool with it. It's not a topic of conversation with my friends, lots of other things to talk about. 

It's proselytizing that makes the difference - stop that and see the real person instead.
  • GenesisNemesis, adey67

Dear theists
(05-20-2021, 03:00 PM)Dom Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 02:45 PM)Percie Wrote:

Not locally, but yes, some are cool with it. It's not a topic of conversation with my friends, lots of other things to talk about. 

It's proselytizing that makes the difference - stop that and see the real person instead.

Although gets more complicated if someone rationalizes an immoral act they've committed, through belief in predestination or something like that (referring to my brother). Dodgy
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Dear theists
(05-20-2021, 03:10 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 03:00 PM)Dom Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 02:45 PM)Percie Wrote: Sounds like devout Christians will be your friend without forcing you to believe anything.

Although gets more complicated if someone rationalizes an immoral act they've committed, through belief in predestination or something like that (referring to my brother). Dodgy

Yes, using religion as an excuse for doing - erm - uncharitable acts is an issue.  My friends are not in that category though, that's why they are my friends. Christians are a diverse population too.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • GenesisNemesis