Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White Evangelicals Must Choose Between Reform and American Extremism

In my small Pentecostal church, we all expected the guillotine to be set up in the parking lot, probably by the One World Government. It was Arkansas in the early 1980s, and to our youth group, certain truths were known because they had been repeated by friends and adults, long before Twitter or Gab.

You should shun Procter & Gamble products because there was a hidden 666, the mark of the beast, inside the company logo. If you played certain rock songs backwards, you would hear entreaties to smoke marijuana. A movie screened in the church sanctuary, “A Distant Thunder,” showed what would happen when the United Nations was given free rein during the coming Tribulation, as forecast in the Book of Revelation. The global government would lop off the heads of those who honored Jesus and refused to bow to state tyranny. Better to be ready for the Rapture.

On Jan. 6, when I saw crosses, “Jesus Saves” signs, and the Christian flag among the crowds storming the U.S. Capitol, my stomach seized. It was a reminder that I, too, once thought of myself as a foot soldier in a divine cause.

The story we told ourselves was all bravery and justice. A devil-serving elite was arrayed against us, so we geared up for battle against “the world,” the term for everyone else. The boys would go to the woods to shoot guns, dressed in the khaki uniforms of our church’s alternative to the too-secular Boy Scouts. The girls did macramé. We knew a few Italian Catholics, had heard of Jews (misguided, we believed, but mysteriously favored by God), and might have spoken once or twice to a Black person from a neighboring town. But we assumed that when Christ returned and set up his kingdom, people like us—white and righteous—would be first in line at his heavenly.

More: I, Too, Was Once a Soldier of the Apocalypse: Why White Evangelicals Must Choose Between Reform and American Extremism (msn.com)
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Cavebear

It almost sounds like QAnon. It's everywhere it seems. And has been for a long time.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Cavebear

To be honest if more ''soldier of Christ'' dd macramé, I think things wouldn't be as bad.
The following 2 users Like epronovost's post:
  • airportkid, Aliza

Idiots must never be allowed to forget that they are idiots.

This was the great crime of Fuckface.  He told them they were special.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(03-01-2021, 04:47 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Idiots must never be allowed to forget that they are idiots.

[Image: 1f2f6b944c14ae5a608a046dd7994c48.jpg]
[Image: sea-stones-whimsy-7-sm.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Minimalist

Exactly.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

White Evangelicals must choose between sanity and wack-o-doodle-nutty-fucked-up-crazyness.
                                                         T4618

(03-01-2021, 11:34 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: White Evangelicals must choose between sanity and wack-o-doodle-nutty-fucked-up-crazyness.
If sane were an option, they probably wouldn't be evangelicals in the first place.  Among the final shoves to get me out of Christianity once and for all was when I agreed to attend an evangelical service with a friend in college and spent two hours wondering how much longer before I could get the fuck away from the crazies yammering nonsense words and claiming it was "speaking in tongues" or flailing about or fainting or whatever.

I left there thinking not 'god is great' but 'holy fuck these people are insane'.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 5 users Like trdsf's post:
  • Cavebear, Chas, TheGentlemanBastard, Inkubus, GenesisNemesis

(03-01-2021, 04:21 PM)Dom Wrote: It almost sounds like QAnon. It's everywhere it seems. And has been for a long time.

QAnon is a new name for old fears. Conspiracy theories have always existed. Your neighbors were being nice because they planned to attack you. There were witches. The People in the next valley poisoned your cows, it wasn't YOUR fault they died. The People Over The Horizon brought disease. That strange guy next door put a curse on your farm.

Yeah, actually some of that was true. Which is why such fears survive. There ARE enemies. But when you start associating imagination for fact, you can't tell which is true. And when you can tell which is true, then EVERYTHING is bad and fearsome. And since YOU are a righteous god-fearing person, everything that goes wrong must be somebody ELSE'S fault. And since just one person can't do SO MUCH harm, there must be several working at it.

So it has to be a planned effort - a conspiracy. And you, just a simple person can't find "them" or stop "them", you have to gather together. Strength In Numbers to fight Strength In Numbers, right?

And if you can't find "them", you need a strong Leader who can. So you give up a little freedom for security. Well worth it to keep self and family safe, right? Family matters. Self matters. Safety matters.

And things go bad. But the Leader says to trust in him, he has a plan, but it may take a while. So you wait and trust. Laws change and they are slightly annoying, but it is for your safety, so you don't object. It is for the safety of your family, too. When the coming crisis occurs, you will be safe.

And one day you are a member of a conspiracy-anti-conspiracy and you don't even realize it.
Atheist born and when I die, still an atheist...

(03-02-2021, 05:46 AM)trdsf Wrote:
(03-01-2021, 11:34 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: White Evangelicals must choose between sanity and wack-o-doodle-nutty-fucked-up-crazyness.
If sane were an option, they probably wouldn't be evangelicals in the first place.  Among the final shoves to get me out of Christianity once and for all was when I agreed to attend an evangelical service with a friend in college and spent two hours wondering how much longer before I could get the fuck away from the crazies yammering nonsense words and claiming it was "speaking in tongues" or flailing about or fainting or whatever.

I left there thinking not 'god is great' but 'holy fuck these people are insane'.

There is always a breaking point. The sooner and more obvious the better, but it comes to most rational people at some point. I suppose I should point out that those may have been the 2 most educational hours of your life. Mine were when I realized there was no Santa Claus and immediately connected it to my relatives' religious beliefs.
Atheist born and when I die, still an atheist...

(03-01-2021, 04:47 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Idiots must never be allowed to forget that they are idiots.

Special -- just like everyone else!

I mean, Christianity was already insane. "Really? You'd listen to a voice in your head that tells you to kill your own son, because 'God commanded it?' Uh... OK". Boggles the mind that Christianity is considered a "good" religion.
Sometimes you just have no words all you can do is laugh at the stupidity. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, mordant

(03-06-2021, 02:27 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:

I mean, Christianity was already insane. "Really? You'd listen to a voice in your head that tells you to kill your own son, because 'God commanded it?' Uh... OK". Boggles the mind that Christianity is considered a "good" religion.

Not to quibble, but there were no Christians involved in that case of brain-dead child abuse.
[Image: Logo%20free%20sm.jpg]

(03-07-2021, 05:34 AM)Chas Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 02:27 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 05:46 AM)trdsf Wrote: If sane were an option, they probably wouldn't be evangelicals in the first place.  Among the final shoves to get me out of Christianity once and for all was when I agreed to attend an evangelical service with a friend in college and spent two hours wondering how much longer before I could get the fuck away from the crazies yammering nonsense words and claiming it was "speaking in tongues" or flailing about or fainting or whatever.

Not to quibble, but there were no Christians involved in that case of brain-dead child abuse.

Yes, but Christians would follow "god" no matter what they thought god said, all the same.
Sometimes you just have no words all you can do is laugh at the stupidity. Deadpan Coffee Drinker