Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introspective Reflections

Reasonable people? Aren't they as mythical as the unicorn?
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Phaedrus

I'm just reflecting on what you call the reflections of extroverts ?
Test

Fun little fact about my past:

After watching The Craft in high school, I formed my own little coven. Searched spells online all the time and printed them out.

Nothing magical ever happened, but it was a fun pastime.

The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • skyking

(01-18-2021, 04:14 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: The world seems to be doing away with pockets in women's clothing, especially pants, but I notice the cost is still the same or even more.  Drives me nuts.

And this is why I tend to shop the men's section for jeans.  Longer zippers, so easier to step into them; longer crotch, so they actually get all the way up to my waist; and pockets, pockets, pockets!  Thumbs Up  (I often have to take in the waist a bit, though, because a pair that fits my hips usually has a huge waist.)

I'm sitting here at my desk with all my "must-do" stuff done, and a couple of hours before bedtime.  Sometimes it occurs to me that my life might be a bit over-scheduled, bordering on obsessive at times, but it feels so good to make regular, tangible progress.
The following 2 users Like Astreja's post:
  • Phaedrus, Kim

I wonder, is there Property Brothers gay fanfiction out there somewhere?

• Kim

(01-20-2021, 02:10 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: Reasonable people have no business being conservative.

Loved most of your random thoughts, but wanted to reply to this one. Churchill once said "Any man under 30 who is not a liberal has no heart, and any man over thirty who is not a conservative has no brains.” I disagree (with the proviso that "liberal" to me really means "progressive"). The history of humanity has been a long slow (and sometimes interrupted) progressive advance. And often held back by conservatives who just want "things as they were".

If conservatives had their way, we would still be living in caves, hunting mammoths, typically dying at 20, and living near the edge of extinction. And before you point it out, that would be a viable (if poorer and environmentally-friendly) existence.

But I am 70 and enjoy having lived that long in good health with more comfort and better food. I'm not afraid my neighbors will kill or rob me. I appreciate a generally cooperative society. I appreciate being able to choose talented leaders instead of kowtowing to the strongest bully in the tribe. I like trusting paper money, having a national defense, and computer. I like that women are not "married off" to some old fart who can pay her father enough cattle.. I like that children are treated with some respect and are educated.

Those are not things that conservatives would have done through history. I will be "progressive" until I die.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 3 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Chas, Astreja, Kim

Spoke with a nurse the other night about how death just doesn't phase me.

People in my family have died and it never bothered me.

Perhaps, that is why I am able to handle the deaths of those around me at work without it bothering me.

• Cavebear

(01-29-2021, 03:09 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: Spoke with a nurse the other night about how death just doesn't phase me.

People in my family have died and it never bothered me.

Perhaps, that is why I am able to handle the deaths of those around me at work without it bothering me.

Death is an inevitable result of life. I regret but do not overly-grieve when family or friends die. I am sad they are gone but bad things happen. I have never attended a funeral. I know they say funerals are for the survivors, but I prefer my sadness alone. And the dead will not be aware of grievers. In times of mass deaths where one is involved like Covid-19 deaths, there are too many to grieve personally and maintain sanity. You just have to accept and move on to help the living. You help the living because it is the only thing to do.

I know phrases I use like "Keep On Truckin" or or "Keep On Keepin On" sound trite, but there is a meaning to me. You do what you can, recognize what you can't, and go on to help the next person.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Phaedrus, Kim

You think it's right for us to be so short staffed at work that I should sacrifice my own physical and mental health to do more than I can realistically handle?

I can withstand a great deal, but in the end I am still only human.

I don't know what's wrong with my brain.

At least I assume it's my brain.

I can create new worlds, write chapters, and then suddenly cease, erase, and move on to write something else, merely repeating the same patterns, hoping I'll actually complete another novel as I have done before.

Did finish writing a new first chapter last night, but will it pan out?

(01-16-2021, 12:33 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: Was thinking of getting my LPN. If it works out, I could start classes later in June and I would be a nurse in a year.

Do it!!!

In lieu of an LPN or after earning your LPN, in just two years you could get your ADN with a significant raise in income and even more employment opportunities... If you still want to continue, there are tons of online RN to BSN programs that aren’t expensive and a lot of hospitals will provide assistance. Going from a minimum wage job to an RN salary was like winning the lottery for my bank account. Still not rich, and I’m underpaid, but I make way more than the LPNs we’re phasing out at the hospital. Last month they stopped hiring LPNs in my department, and we were the last unit still hiring LPNs as far as I’m aware. From what I can tell, you’re doing bedside care in a nursing home - that’s hella hard work, might as well get paid well for your back breaking labor.

Either way, the time is going to pass - create some opportunities with it.
"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
The following 4 users Like Nursey's post:
  • Dom, Fireball, Phaedrus, Kim

Been struggling with my writing.

I keep writing new first chapters, with new characters, and then deleting the chapter because I don't think it's any good. I've written at least ten first chapters and deleted them.

Started a new one last night, based on a previously created character. Will it pan out?

*shrugs*

Maybe I'll write a few chapters and then delete that as I tend to also do.

At this point, however, I know that I have a particular writing style and that it's not going to change. The reader either likes it or doesn't.

Anywho, almost time for bed.

(02-08-2021, 02:15 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: Been struggling with my writing.

Apparently, writer's block hits even top-selling authors.  I guess you have to try
and relax during these inevitable breaks, and not stress out even more.

Quote:Started a new one last night, based on a previously created character. Will it pan out?

I lost track of your last sci-fi story you were posting here.  Did you write any more
chapters, or are you having a rest from it? I was just getting more involved LOL.

Quote:At this point, however, I know that I have a particular writing style and that it's not going to change. The reader either likes it or doesn't.

Which is fine.  Again most best-selling authors say they write largely for themselves in
the first instance, as it's critical they  like their characters as much as their readers.
If they dislike their own characters or their plotting, then the readers won't either, and
the whole thing falls over.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Phaedrus

(02-09-2021, 01:39 AM)SYZ Wrote: Apparently, writer's block hits even top-selling authors.  I guess you have to try
and relax during these inevitable breaks, and not stress out even more.

It's not writer's block. I've been writing plenty. It's just that I lose interest as soon as I finish writing the chapter. Then I write a new chapter with new characters, lose interest, and delete it. I keep repeating this process.

(02-09-2021, 01:39 AM)SYZ Wrote: I lost track of your last sci-fi story you were posting here.  Did you write any more
chapters, or are you having a rest from it? I was just getting more involved LOL.

I stopped working on it. Just lost interest, I suppose.

• SYZ

(01-11-2021, 10:33 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: Some of my personal opinions don't make me popular either.

For instance:

Show ContentSpoiler:

This has really pissed off some atheists on other boards over the years. 

I'm cut. I don't remember it. So much for the cruelty.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 3 users Like c172's post:
  • Phaedrus, jerry mcmasters, Kim

(02-09-2021, 02:45 AM)c172 Wrote: So much for the cruelty.

Thread moved to blog it here
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Phaedrus

Ohhhh, hello. New section. *wanders around*
Is this sig thing on?
The following 2 users Like c172's post:
  • Phaedrus, Kim

Sometimes, when I'm raping the fields, and pillaging the villagers, I take a moment to stop and smell the rank fear that engulfs the town.
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • Phaedrus, Kim

Had a weird dream where I nonchalantly pulled a tooth from my mouth with my fingers.

• c172

(02-12-2021, 10:51 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: Had a weird dream where I nonchalantly pulled a tooth from my mouth with my fingers.

Oh, gosh! I remember when my cousin was undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer. She was doing that for real.  Sadcryface
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Phaedrus

(02-12-2021, 11:27 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote: Oh, gosh! I remember when my cousin was undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer. She was doing that for real.  Sadcryface

Well, if I ever get cancer, I hope it's too far advanced by the time it gets detected so that nothing can be realistically done about it.

So why is it that in television shows, mainly depicting small towns, there's the one elderly person with obvious dementia who gets to terrorize the town instead of being in a nursing home?

• Kim

Fair and decent treatment of fellow human beings is bad for business. It's best to demonize what is not understood by the population at large.

(02-12-2021, 12:53 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: So why is it that in television shows, mainly depicting small towns, there's the one elderly person with obvious dementia who gets to terrorize the town instead of being in a nursing home?

Because these shows are about me! Wild horses can't drag me into a nursing home.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Phaedrus, Kim

[-]
Quick Reply