Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Stupid things the religious say

(07-30-2020, 11:39 AM)Vera Wrote: "Even if you think the Big Bang created the stars, don't you wonder who sent the flowers?"

1-800-Flowers? Facepalm

By the same profound thinker (who actually has a disparaging quote about people unable to think. The irony is palpable like stage four cancer): "Question reality, especially if it contradicts the evidence of your hopes and dreams."

back off, reality. I'm on a roll here!

"Cain murdered his brother, Abel."

No, Cain sacrificed his brother. There's a difference.

...or maybe not. Whatever.
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.

Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.

Wendy Wright is, hands down, the poster child for creationist stupidity. In my entire life, I've never seen a worse example of closed-minded, intellectual illiteracy. In my honest opinion, she tops even Ken Ham and Kent Hovind in cranial vacancy. Richard Dawkins should have been awarded a medal for his patience in this interview. Most people I know couldn't stand watching the whole thing because Wright's statements were such an insult to an educated person's intelligence.

“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Peebothuhlu

It takes skill to be that stupid.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(08-09-2020, 11:23 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: It takes skill to be that stupid.

People like that take great care never to think beyond their indoctrination or entertain the notion that they've learned might be wrong. When she claimed that creationists view the evidence that Dawkins mentioned, she's a liar. If you offered her the latest college text on evolution and challenged her to read it with the idea of understanding it, it's most likely that she'd refuse, saying that she doesn't have to read stuff like that because she already knows her beliefs are true. This is the reply I have received from every creationist I've discussed evolution with, without exception, and there have been dozens.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 6 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Dānu, Little Lunch, mordant, Thumpalumpacus, epronovost, Inkubus

(08-09-2020, 11:36 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:

People like that take great care never to think beyond their indoctrination or entertain the notion that they've learned might be wrong. When she claimed that creationists view the evidence that Dawkins mentioned, she's a liar. If you offered her the latest college text on evolution and challenged her to read it with the idea of understanding it, it's most likely that she'd refuse, saying that she doesn't have to read stuff like that because she already knows her beliefs are true. This is the reply I have received from every creationist I've discussed evolution with, without exception, and there have been dozens.

The chains the slave will never be free of are the ones they put on themselves.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Little Lunch, Thumpalumpacus

It's hard to know whether the chains are meant to be there when you've had them on since birth.

And then you look around and the people not wearing chains are all arseholes. :-)

Not skill (which implies discipline) so much as will.

Here is a review of a David Attenborough nature documentary which my wife pointed out to me (my bolding):

Quote:Really great series, I grew up watching the older series like Life on Earth and Living Planet so they are actually relaxing to me. The one thing I would recommend is avoiding the newer series like Africa, Blue Planet 2, Planet Earth 2 etc as they use CGI effects for a so called "nature" show of "observation". Examples would be the sandstorm sequences and flooding sequences as well as even in Planet Earth 1 and Blue Planet 1 they use CGI to "enhance" the scenes with so called dozens of whales and birds, you can easily see the multiple "blowholes" all over the place etc that is not real. You can even watch in the plant shows the "how it's made" which I'm not a fan of but shows that they construct "stages" for plants to be filmed in slow motion for weeks even years then presented as a "natural" scene etc lots of tricks these people play. This is also true in the other video based things like news, major events etc of all kinds.

Another point is the totally pseudo-scientific garbage scripts that the narrator reads. He stresses at one time that they don't understand how this living current animal does this or that, but in the next breath he confidently speaks of thousands and millions of years events like proven fact that he/they were there to witness, such a double minded confusion you could not get more. And of course his marxist-freemasonic-hint-hint, climate change garbage constantly bleated at us along with the same evolutionary garbage that is not proven and has been proved that many of the so called "bones" fossils are Chinese made or just assumed to be a creature which is just in reality many bones put together. Other orgs like Natl Geographic presents it anyways as fact, big liars. "Artists renditions" cgi photoshop are the fantasy based norm nowadays, no reality whatsoever. It's all money and pagan mind control programming folks. Also the BBC are proven pedo protectors and fake news purveyor. So I recommend the older series and the "life of/in" series pre-2000 for best REAL photography, not as much annoying intrusive music either. Just be mindful of the "story" this narrator is trying to sell with a couple of so called "real" pictures etc Another example is they show a short 2sec shot of 3-5 so called "trees" in the Sahara desert and conclude from there that there was a huge forest in the North Sahara, this could easily be just discarded or cgi placed debris and then presented as "proof". So it's sloppy in a lot of places.

(08-28-2020, 02:43 PM)Alan V Wrote: Here is a review of a David Attenborough nature documentary which my wife pointed out to me (my bolding):

Quote:Really great series, I grew up watching the older series like Life on Earth and Living Planet so they are actually relaxing to me. The one thing I would recommend is avoiding the newer series like Africa, Blue Planet 2, Planet Earth 2 etc as they use CGI effects for a so called "nature" show of "observation". Examples would be the sandstorm sequences and flooding sequences as well as even in Planet Earth 1 and Blue Planet 1 they use CGI to "enhance" the scenes with so called dozens of whales and birds, you can easily see the multiple "blowholes" all over the place etc that is not real. You can even watch in the plant shows the "how it's made" which I'm not a fan of but shows that they construct "stages" for plants to be filmed in slow motion for weeks even years then presented as a "natural" scene etc lots of tricks these people play. This is also true in the other video based things like news, major events etc of all kinds.

Another point is the totally pseudo-scientific garbage scripts that the narrator reads. He stresses at one time that they don't understand how this living current animal does this or that, but in the next breath he confidently speaks of thousands and millions of years events like proven fact that he/they were there to witness, such a double minded confusion you could not get more. And of course his marxist-freemasonic-hint-hint, climate change garbage constantly bleated at us along with the same evolutionary garbage that is not proven and has been proved that many of the so called "bones" fossils are Chinese made or just assumed to be a creature which is just in reality many bones put together. Other orgs like Natl Geographic presents it anyways as fact, big liars. "Artists renditions" cgi photoshop are the fantasy based norm nowadays, no reality whatsoever. It's all money and pagan mind control programming folks. Also the BBC are proven pedo protectors and fake news purveyor. So I recommend the older series and the "life of/in" series pre-2000 for best REAL photography, not as much annoying intrusive music either. Just be mindful of the "story" this narrator is trying to sell with a couple of so called "real" pictures etc Another example is they show a short 2sec shot of 3-5 so called "trees" in the Sahara desert and conclude from there that there was a huge forest in the North Sahara, this could easily be just discarded or cgi placed debris and then presented as "proof". So it's sloppy in a lot of places.  

Confirmation bias run amok. Maddeningly, it is confirmation bias about perceived confirmation bias on the part of scientists.
The following 3 users Like mordant's post:
  • Alan V, epronovost, Chas

"If life is nothing more than a journey to death, autumn makes sense but spring does not."
— Craig D. Lounsbrough

[Image: giphy.gif]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • mordant

It's ancient and silly, but still beautiful: 

[Image: ecHONgH07rc4jmfDXWThThr3k4PT7AzRiSvmItXj...AryJNlcVhs]

A simple one liner, a throwaway.
And yet it could benefit some people enormously:

Quote:...I had an irrational fear of eternity, eternal life, heaven etc. It was bad because I am a Christian and I believe in afterlife. It was so bad that I hoped my belief was wrong because I didn't want there to be an afterlife despite my understanding pointing towards Christianity being true...

...I managed to overcome this fear and I am going to explain how I did it. If you have this fear, it's very important to overcome it because you're going to die one day and there are 2 things that could happen after death:

{Merciful snip}

The Full Horror.

Tragicomedy at its most cruel. Fubar your own short life by not having the remotest fucking idea what you signed up for in the next one.

Fear of infinity has a name, Apeirophobia. Very little to know about it other than the the Catholics have gleefully seized on it in order to make their lives even more wretched.

Quote:..You see, for as long as I can remember, the concept of eternity has been my greatest fear. Thinking of 10,000 years as just a drop in an unfillable bucket would send chills of horror coursing through my body. My mind would loop through a cycle of “But then what? And then what?” The overwhelming incomprehensibility of it all, the towering vastness, shook my sense of well-being and threatened my mental health..

Read it and weep.
The following 2 users Like Inkubus's post:
  • TonyAnkle, Little Lunch

(01-08-2021, 07:27 PM)Inkubus Wrote: It's ancient and silly, but still beautiful: 

[Image: ecHONgH07rc4jmfDXWThThr3k4PT7AzRiSvmItXj...AryJNlcVhs]

A simple one liner, a throwaway.
And yet it could benefit some people enormously:

Quote:...I had an irrational fear of eternity, eternal life, heaven etc. It was bad because I am a Christian and I believe in afterlife. It was so bad that I hoped my belief was wrong because I didn't want there to be an afterlife despite my understanding pointing towards Christianity being true...

...I managed to overcome this fear and I am going to explain how I did it. If you have this fear, it's very important to overcome it because you're going to die one day and there are 2 things that could happen after death:

{Merciful snip}

The Full Horror.

Tragicomedy at its most cruel. Fubar your own short life by not having the remotest fucking idea what you signed up for in the next one.

Fear of infinity has a name, Apeirophobia. Very little to know about it other than the the Catholics have gleefully seized on it in order to make their lives even more wretched.

Quote:..You see, for as long as I can remember, the concept of eternity has been my greatest fear. Thinking of 10,000 years as just a drop in an unfillable bucket would send chills of horror coursing through my body. My mind would loop through a cycle of “But then what? And then what?” The overwhelming incomprehensibility of it all, the towering vastness, shook my sense of well-being and threatened my mental health..

Read it and weep.

I went to the doctors and told him that I keep thinking that I'm a dog, he told me to take a seat... I told him that I'm not allowed on the furniture.
The following 5 users Like TonyAnkle's post:
  • Inkubus, Peebothuhlu, Little Lunch, Dancefortwo, skyking

A man walked into the doctors and said, 'I've hurt my arm in several places'.
And the doctor said 'Well don't go there anymore'.
The following 5 users Like Inkubus's post:
  • Peebothuhlu, Little Lunch, TonyAnkle, Dancefortwo, Tartarus Sauce

Went to the doctor and told him that I keep thinking I'm a moth.
He said he was not a psychologist but a podiatrist.
I told him I know. It's just that he left the light on.

Went to the psychologist wearing nothing but cling wrap.
He said, 'I can clearly see your nuts.'
The following 3 users Like Little Lunch's post:
  • TonyAnkle, Dancefortwo, Inkubus

Jesus walks into a hotel, throws some nails onto the counter and asks if he can be put up for the night.
The following 7 users Like TonyAnkle's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Little Lunch, Fireball, Inkubus, SYZ, Tartarus Sauce, Astreja

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Inkubus's post:
  • Little Lunch, TonyAnkle, Astreja

When a Christian finds out that you're a non-Christian and they ask "Oh, what religion are you?"

As if everyone must be some religion.      Facepalm
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • TonyAnkle, Little Lunch

My religion has stopped me from going to university.

Only Heineken religion can do ziss.

Quote:It didn't matter what grades I got, it was my own beliefs that were stopping me from going to university

Another fuckwit.

Quote:It's a social ill in our religion.

An altogether different sort of fuckwit.

Quote:Never again should a Muslim in Britain feel unable to go to university because they cannot get a student loan simply because of their religion.

And the whole rational thinking world screams at David Cameron:

It's simply because of their religion that they can't go to university you stupid fuck!

I fucking despair.
The following 2 users Like Inkubus's post:
  • Chas, SYZ

(01-24-2021, 04:40 AM)Inkubus Wrote: My religion has stopped me from going to university.

Only Heineken religion can do ziss.

Quote:It didn't matter what grades I got, it was my own beliefs that were stopping me from going to university

Another fuckwit.

Quote:It's a social ill in our religion.

An altogether different sort of fuckwit.

Quote:Never again should a Muslim in Britain feel unable to go to university because they cannot get a student loan simply because of their religion.

And the whole rational thinking world screams at David Cameron:

It's simply because of their religion that they can't go to university you stupid fuck!

I fucking despair.

Islamic finance is alive and well in the world.   The actual problem is ignorance of that.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • SYZ, Inkubus

At the unironically-named "Rejoice Christian School", a 2nd grade girl told another 2nd grade girl that she had a crush on her. She was taken to the princpal's office for hectoring, then expelled from the school along with her brother.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/01/29/us/re...index.html

This is bad enough, but WTF is going on with the girl's mother?

Quote:"(The vice principal) asked me how I feel about girls liking girls and I told her that I see no issue with it."

Shelton took Chloe home that day, and administrators told her to not come back Friday, she said.

The next day, the superintendent called Shelton, saying that the school was "ending their partnership" with Shelton's family, she told CNN, also expelling her 5-year-old son. When Shelton asked for specifics, he said her beliefs didn't align with theirs, she said.

"I was so blindsided. I was angry, hurt, betrayed, sad... so many different emotions. I just couldn't believe it," Shelton said. "I asked him to have a sit down meeting to discuss it and process it better and he refused, saying that 'nothing more needed to be discussed.'"

Blindsided? WTF did she expect? And didn't she read this?

Quote:The school's handbook states that "any form of sexual immorality" goes against its beliefs, including "professing to be homosexual/bisexual."

Students who do not "conform to the standards and ideals of work and life" at the school forfeit the "privilege" of attendance

How could she have been shocked -- simply shocked! -- blindsided! -- by this inexplicable outcome? I guarantee you she signed a bunch of documents agreeing in advance to all this crap.

Hard to see who is more deluded, really.

(01-30-2021, 05:02 AM)mordant Wrote: At the unironically-named "Rejoice Christian School", a 2nd grade girl told another 2nd grade girl that she had a crush on her. She was taken to the princpal's office for hectoring, then expelled from the school along with her brother.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/01/29/us/re...index.html

This is bad enough, but WTF is going on with the girl's mother?

Quote:"(The vice principal) asked me how I feel about girls liking girls and I told her that I see no issue with it."

Shelton took Chloe home that day, and administrators told her to not come back Friday, she said.

The next day, the superintendent called Shelton, saying that the school was "ending their partnership" with Shelton's family, she told CNN, also expelling her 5-year-old son. When Shelton asked for specifics, he said her beliefs didn't align with theirs, she said.

"I was so blindsided. I was angry, hurt, betrayed, sad... so many different emotions. I just couldn't believe it," Shelton said. "I asked him to have a sit down meeting to discuss it and process it better and he refused, saying that 'nothing more needed to be discussed.'"

Blindsided? WTF did she expect? And didn't she read this?

Quote:The school's handbook states that "any form of sexual immorality" goes against its beliefs, including "professing to be homosexual/bisexual."

Students who do not "conform to the standards and ideals of work and life" at the school forfeit the "privilege" of attendance

How could she have been shocked -- simply shocked! -- blindsided! -- by this inexplicable outcome? I guarantee you she signed a bunch of documents agreeing in advance to all this crap.

Hard to see who is more deluded, really.

A second-grader professing a 'crush' on a friend is not sexual immorality.  The child is 7 or 8 eight years old which is prepubescent, for fuck sake. Facepalm
I thought only Catholic priests thought children were sexually aware. But apparently the repressed and repressive Christian fundie nutcases think so.

Religious insanity.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 4 users Like Chas's post:
  • Cavebear, mordant, brunumb, Gwaithmir

Masters of Projection
test signature