Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mafia game queue

Mafia game queue
(01-13-2021, 04:46 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 04:40 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote: REV GET SIGNUP SHEET GOING I WANNA PLAY MOAR MAFIA!!!

Well won't it be your better half's turn?

No, I'm ceding this one to him. He's entirely too stoked to play your game.

He shall blow the dandelion fluff most mightily!
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • Tartarus Sauce

Mafia game queue
How does this game work and what do you do? Is it one of those massive multiple online thingys or something?
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast

Mafia game queue
I've learned my lesson multiple times. I won't ever attempt to play Mafia again.

The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Aliza, c172

Mafia game queue
(01-13-2021, 11:42 AM)adey67 Wrote: How does this game work and what do you do? Is it one of those massive multiple online thingys or something?

We usually get 8-10 players, and each game lasts about a week, with playing days occurring every other day (alternating blocks of activity and reflection). 

Mafia is not for everyone, as @Phaedrus pointed out. Think of it as being like a roller coaster. -One does not board a roller coaster if they cannot stand the feel of drops or loops upside down. It's not for everyone, but for the people who like roller coasters, it's quite the thrill.

Mafia is a game where you know going into it that you're going to be taken out of your comfort zone and have your emotions hijacked. It's obviously a very different experience than that of a roller coaster, but it's similar in the sense that you're experiencing a sensation that is extreme and would not be so fun in an uncontrolled environment. -But some people like to feel that feeling in a safe space.
The following 4 users Like Aliza's post:
  • pocaracas, Phaedrus, KittyAnn, adey67

Mafia game queue
(01-13-2021, 02:26 PM)Aliza Wrote: Think of it as being like a roller coaster.

Roller coasters are enjoyable compared to Mafia. Wink

I'd compare Mafia to being an introvert at a high school party.

The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • KittyAnn, Mathilda

Mafia game queue
(01-13-2021, 01:30 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: I've learned my lesson multiple times. I won't ever attempt to play Mafia again.

I've never not been asked (albeit gently) to leave a game.  ROFL2 But it's a ton of fun to watch. I just get all deer in headlights because, to me, there's so much to analyse.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Aliza

Mafia game queue
(01-13-2021, 02:26 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 11:42 AM)adey67 Wrote: How does this game work and what do you do? Is it one of those massive multiple online thingys or something?

We usually get 8-10 players, and each game lasts about a week, with playing days occurring every other day (alternating blocks of activity and reflection). 

Mafia is not for everyone, as @Phaedrus pointed out. Think of it as being like a roller coaster. -One does not board a roller coaster if they cannot stand the feel of drops or loops upside down. It's not for everyone, but for the people who like roller coasters, it's quite the thrill.

Mafia is a game where you know going into it that you're going to be taken out of your comfort zone and have your emotions hijacked. It's obviously a very different experience than that of a roller coaster, but it's similar in the sense that you're experiencing a sensation that is extreme and would not be so fun in an uncontrolled environment. -But some people like to feel that feeling in a safe space.

So what's the objectives of the game?

Edit : Never mind, I googled it and I can already see I really wouldn't like it.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast

Mafia game queue
(01-14-2021, 02:04 AM)adey67 Wrote:

For a typical game played here on AD, there are two teams. The "good" team is called town, and the "bad" team is the mafia. The basic idea is to vote to eliminate players so your team is the last surviving team.

The majority of players are on team town but a minority of players are in the mafia. The catch is that the few players who are on the mafia team know who one another is, and they can coordinate with each other. The town players are not told who their team mates are, so when they vote to remove a player, they're not sure if they're voting for an enemy or an ally. Those who are in the mafia are pretending to be townies. If they are very convincing, then they will lull the townies into trusting them. 

Every day a player is eliminated, and every other day, the mafia get to coordinate to remove a player. When it's all said and done, the team left standing wins the game.
The following 2 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Revenant77x, pocaracas

Mafia game queue
(01-14-2021, 02:04 AM)adey67 Wrote:

To provide the moderator sadistic pleasure in watching most of the players chase their tails for about a week or so.  Oh and deductive reasoning or somesuch.
The following 5 users Like Revenant77x's post:
  • Aliza, Tartarus Sauce, Aroura, Paleophyte, pocaracas

Mafia game queue
Ok, I've got my next game idea more fleshed out. I've been really stressed out lately, and for lots of reasons, I find Tolkien's universe soothing. Or aspects of it, anyway.

So I'm thinking the theme will just be Hobbits in The Shire. No named characters (no one gets to be Bilbo or Gandalf) and there won't be any killing, it'll be some other flavor mechanism to remove players from the game. Something funny and fun. It seems we don't have a set number of people able/willing to play larger games, so I'll work on a basic micro set up that can accommodate as few as 4 or 5 players.

So I hope that sounds interesting next.
The following 3 users Like Aroura's post:
  • pocaracas, c172, Mathilda

Mafia game queue
More!
  • KittyAnn

Mafia game queue
I'm busy with work ATM but in a month or so I can run a rather horrible little multi-ball role-madness game that I've been brewing.
The following 4 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • Aliza, Aroura, KittyAnn, Tartarus Sauce

Mafia game queue
Em, oh, eh, are, plox.
Is this sig thing on?

Mafia game queue
I would love to play with you, but maybe later ... for me it's a good time in April ... something after Easter until then I have a lot of work to do.... Dance Thumbs Up
Elmyra- i'm gonna hug you and love you and squeeze you into itty bitty pieces...until you die!!!
The following 1 user Likes KittyAnn's post:
  • Aliza

Mafia game queue
(02-27-2021, 12:34 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: I'm busy with work ATM but in a month or so I can run a rather horrible little multi-ball role-madness game that I've been brewing.

Is that like Mathilda's pin ball mafia?

Mafia game queue
(02-27-2021, 06:34 AM)Aliza Wrote:
(02-27-2021, 12:34 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: I'm busy with work ATM but in a month or so I can run a rather horrible little multi-ball role-madness game that I've been brewing.

Is that like Mathilda's pin ball mafia?

No. Multi-ball is when you have more than the standard two factions. So instead of just scum and town you'll have at least three different factions vying for control.

Mafia game queue
How's many players will you need? I've seen set ups for multi ball that are sort of mini, but usually it requires more players.

Mafia game queue
I think that I can run it with as few as 7 players, though it'll be very swingy. I'd prefer 10 but doubt that we can master that many.

Alternately, I could run a ridiculous bastard mod game that I've concocted depending on how silly people want it to be.
The following 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post:
  • Aliza

Mafia game queue
Hey peeps, anyone still around still interested in Mafia?
The following 2 users Like emjay's post:
  • Atothetheist, Aliza

Mafia game queue
(02-23-2023, 11:57 AM)emjay Wrote: Hey peeps, anyone still around still interested in Mafia?

Me! Me! Me!
  • emjay

Mafia game queue
(02-23-2023, 03:06 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(02-23-2023, 11:57 AM)emjay Wrote: Hey peeps, anyone still around still interested in Mafia?

Me! Me! Me!

Lemme guess... you? Big Grin
The following 1 user Likes emjay's post:
  • Aliza