Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not kill.
Among the above were people whose only "sin" was that they never heard of some small Middle Eastern tribe's god.

Christians worship a god who killed all the kittens and puppies in the world, because he couldn't create a being that would obey his orders.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Thou shalt not kill.
Since God makes the laws, it's highly unlikely you can argue that he broke them.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Phaedrus

Thou shalt not kill.
(12-26-2020, 02:25 PM)Dānu Wrote: Since God makes the laws, it's highly unlikely you can argue that he broke them.

I think what you meant is that it's highly unlikely our reasonable argument would be accepted by ignorant theists who want their god to be right.

Thou shalt not kill.
Whether or not he can break his own laws, he certainly failed at exemplifying 'em.
On hiatus.

Thou shalt not kill.
It's not only possible for Him to break His laws, it's utterly certain. Humans be like that.

Thou shalt not kill.
At work.

(12-26-2020, 02:25 PM)Dānu Wrote: Since God makes the laws, it's highly unlikely you can argue that he broke them.

Wait?

By that metric are you saying Judges and Politician's can simply ignore their own decrees?

*Notices America's Trump.... *

Uhm......  girl blushing

Thou shalt not kill.
(12-26-2020, 04:47 PM)Peebothuhlu Wrote: At work.

Wait?

By that metric are you saying Judges and Politician's can simply ignore their own decrees?

Uhm......  girl blushing

God and mortals are separate classes of beings. Carving out a legitimate exception for himself is as easy as falling off a log. It wouldn't be ignoring any decree because the decrees wouldn't apply to him.

And in a related footnote, you can't legally hold a congressman accountable for what he does in congress, so such exceptions exist even in the mundane world.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Thou shalt not kill.
At work.

(12-26-2020, 04:53 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(12-26-2020, 04:47 PM)Peebothuhlu Wrote:

Wait?

Uhm......  girl blushing

God and mortals are separate classes of beings.  Carving out a legitimate exception for himself is as easy as falling off a log.  It wouldn't be ignoring any decree because the decrees wouldn't apply to him.

And in a related footnote, you can't legally hold a congressman accountable for what he does in congress, so such exceptions exist even in the mundane world.

Okay. That first bit seems to translate as "Do as diety says and not do as diety does

And/Or

"Diety's might to smite makes right."

As for the "You can't legally hold Congress-men accountable for what they do in congress."    ?

What, from the actual bottom of my heart, dafaq?

You actually, really, positively, absolutely posted that you think (And I'm totally non-plused by this. Knock me down with a feather.kind of thing.) that your Congress people are above (Outside of?) the very governing laws they make/pass?

I am obviously, totally failing at comprehension here.

Help! (Que Beatles mhsic)

Thou shalt not kill.
(12-26-2020, 05:09 PM)Peebothuhlu Wrote: At work.

(12-26-2020, 04:53 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(12-26-2020, 04:47 PM)Peebothuhlu Wrote:  Wait?

Uhm......  girl blushing

God and mortals are separate classes of beings.  Carving out a legitimate exception for himself is as easy as falling off a log.  It wouldn't be ignoring any decree because the decrees wouldn't apply to him.

Okay. That first bit seems to translate as "Do as diety says and not do as diety does

And/Or

"Diety's might to smite makes right."

As for the "You can't legally hold Congress-men accountable for what they do in congress."    ?

What, from the actual bottom of my heart, dafaq?

You actually, really, positively, absolutely posted that you think (And I'm totally non-plused by this. Knock me down with a feather.kind of thing.) that your Congress people are above (Outside of?) the very governing laws they make/pass?

I am obviously, totally failing at comprehension here.

Help! (Que Beatles mhsic)

No, you misunderstood. As an example, the law says that you can't sue a congressman for an official congressional act. As to whether you can arrest a congressman for beating another congressman with his cane while in congress -- something that has actually happened -- I don't know. The law is meant to prevent police and judiciary from interfering with the functioning of congress.

Quote:“They [Congress] shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place.”

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Thou shalt not kill.
At work.

Ah, okay cool. Pretty much same/similar to our 'Floor of Parliament' regulations.

So  were back to 'Smite makes right' or 'Do as I say and don't give a fek about what I(The diety, here) actually do.

In which case we have double standards, leading back to 'Smite makes right'.

Fekkin' puzzling veiw to me at the moment.  But then, I'm finding pretty much most of what is posited about any diety to be really incoherent. 

Cheers.

Thou shalt not kill.
You need to keep in mind that murder is a legal term, not a moral one.

Vivekananda

Thou shalt not kill.
And "legal" has nothing to do with "justice."
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Thou shalt not kill.
(12-26-2020, 05:24 AM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:I think the most salient point here is that none of god's chosen murdered Jesus, it was the villains who did it. So it can still be wrong.

If you take the time to read the four gospel accounts in the order they were written  ( Mk, Ma, Lk, Jo) you see that the Jews are portrayed as being increasingly more strident in demanding that J.C. get nailed to the boards.

Quote:9 “Would you like me to release to you this ‘King of the Jews’?” Pilate asked. 10 (For he realized by now that the leading priests had arrested Jesus out of envy.) 11 But at this point the leading priests stirred up the crowd to demand the release of Barabbas instead of Jesus. 12 Pilate asked them, “Then what should I do with this man you call the king of the Jews?”
13 They shouted back, “Crucify him!”
14 “Why?” Pilate demanded. “What crime has he committed?”
But the mob roared even louder, “Crucify him!”
15 So to pacify the crowd, Pilate released Barabbas to them. He ordered Jesus flogged with a lead-tipped whip, then turned him over to the Roman soldiers to be crucified.

Mark 15

Quote:20 Meanwhile, the leading priests and the elders persuaded the crowd to ask for Barabbas to be released and for Jesus to be put to death. 21 So the governor asked again, “Which of these two do you want me to release to you?”
The crowd shouted back, “Barabbas!”
22 Pilate responded, “Then what should I do with Jesus who is called the Messiah?”
They shouted back, “Crucify him!”
23 “Why?” Pilate demanded. “What crime has he committed?”
But the mob roared even louder, “Crucify him!”
24 Pilate saw that he wasn’t getting anywhere and that a riot was developing. So he sent for a bowl of water and washed his hands before the crowd, saying, “I am innocent of this man’s blood. The responsibility is yours!”
25 And all the people yelled back, “We will take responsibility for his death—we and our children!”[b]
26 So Pilate released Barabbas to them. He ordered Jesus flogged with a lead-tipped whip, then turned him over to the Roman soldiers to be crucified.

Matty 27

Quote:13 Then Pilate called together the leading priests and other religious leaders, along with the people, 14 and he announced his verdict. “You brought this man to me, accusing him of leading a revolt. I have examined him thoroughly on this point in your presence and find him innocent. 15 Herod came to the same conclusion and sent him back to us. Nothing this man has done calls for the death penalty. 16 So I will have him flogged, and then I will release him.”[a]
18 Then a mighty roar rose from the crowd, and with one voice they shouted, “Kill him, and release Barabbas to us!” 19 (Barabbas was in prison for taking part in an insurrection in Jerusalem against the government, and for murder.) 20 Pilate argued with them, because he wanted to release Jesus. 21 But they kept shouting, “Crucify him! Crucify him!”
22 For the third time he demanded, “Why? What crime has he committed? I have found no reason to sentence him to death. So I will have him flogged, and then I will release him.”
23 But the mob shouted louder and louder, demanding that Jesus be crucified, and their voices prevailed. 24 So Pilate sentenced Jesus to die as they demanded. 25 As they had requested, he released Barabbas, the man in prison for insurrection and murder. But he turned Jesus over to them to do as they wished.

Luke 23

Quote:38 “What is truth?” Pilate asked. Then he went out again to the people and told them, “He is not guilty of any crime. 39 But you have a custom of asking me to release one prisoner each year at Passover. Would you like me to release this ‘King of the Jews’?”
40 But they shouted back, “No! Not this man. We want Barabbas!” (Barabbas was a revolutionary.)
Jesus Sentenced to Death
19 Then Pilate had Jesus flogged with a lead-tipped whip. 2 The soldiers wove a crown of thorns and put it on his head, and they put a purple robe on him. 3 “Hail! King of the Jews!” they mocked, as they slapped him across the face.
4 Pilate went outside again and said to the people, “I am going to bring him out to you now, but understand clearly that I find him not guilty.” 5 Then Jesus came out wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe. And Pilate said, “Look, here is the man!”
6 When they saw him, the leading priests and Temple guards began shouting, “Crucify him! Crucify him!”
“Take him yourselves and crucify him,” Pilate said. “I find him not guilty.”
7 The Jewish leaders replied, “By our law he ought to die because he called himself the Son of God.”
8 When Pilate heard this, he was more frightened than ever. 9 He took Jesus back into the headquarters[c] again and asked him, “Where are you from?” But Jesus gave no answer. 10 “Why don’t you talk to me?” Pilate demanded. “Don’t you realize that I have the power to release you or crucify you?”
11 Then Jesus said, “You would have no power over me at all unless it were given to you from above. So the one who handed me over to you has the greater sin.”
12 Then Pilate tried to release him, but the Jewish leaders shouted, “If you release this man, you are no ‘friend of Caesar.’[d] Anyone who declares himself a king is a rebel against Caesar.”
13 When they said this, Pilate brought Jesus out to them again. Then Pilate sat down on the judgment seat on the platform that is called the Stone Pavement (in Hebrew, Gabbatha). 14 It was now about noon on the day of preparation for the Passover. And Pilate said to the people,[e] “Look, here is your king!”
15 “Away with him,” they yelled. “Away with him! Crucify him!”
“What? Crucify your king?” Pilate asked.
“We have no king but Caesar,” the leading priests shouted back.
16 Then Pilate turned Jesus over to them to be crucified.

John 18

The historical context; this shit was originally written sometime after 70 CE and probably the first drafts were complete by 140.  In that time, the Romans suppressed the Great Revolt in 70 and kicked the Jews out of Jerusalem.  The Kitos War - which the Jews in Judaea largely sat out having learned a lesson in 70, involved jewish communities in various parts of the Eastern empire by 117 CE and finally the bar Kohkba Revolt which ended c 136 CE.  By the end of that time the jews were decidedly persona non grata and Hadrian booted their asses out of Judaea.   Note that while the jews become ever more strident in demanding jesus' death as time goes by Pilate keeps trying to get him off the hook.  That makes Pilate look like a pussy and that characterization is grossly at odds with the portrayals by Philo and Josephus which thought of him as an arrogant fuck.

But xtians were writing propaganda.  Not history.

Yeah, Pilate was painted almost as a nice guy in the New Testament.  Nevermind that he had a history of killing Jews and putting down their protests with an iron fist.  Pilate didn't give one crap about the Jews.  With each gospel Pilate becomes more and more innocent in the killing of Jesus and the Jews take on more of the guilt.   To me it reflects the chasm between the new developing Christian cult who were angry at the Jews who kept rejecting Christian's claims that Jesus was the messiah.  

Also, I have never found any sources outside of the gospels that there was a tradition of allowing one of the three crucified prisoners to be let free during passover.  It's a made up story to further indict the Jews.
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dānu, brunumb, Little Lunch

Thou shalt not kill.
That was a made up plot device.

For the record, in Aramaic "bar-abbas" means "son of the father."
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dānu, Dancefortwo

Thou shalt not kill.
"God" can just have it both ways, and you can't. Or something like that.
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.

Thou shalt not kill.
♫It's just my job five days a week.♫