Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heat death of the universe wont be as boring as previously thought

Yes, there will be supernovae, and our sun will be one of them, in roundabout....... 10^32000 years
Granted, this will only be able to happen if protons are stable. If not, well then the sun (a white dwarf by then) will evaporate quite *quickly* in roundabouit 10^60 years

First the sun will become a white dwarf. Then it will cool down and become a black dwarf. Due to quantum uncertainty (= tunneling) however, some of its (oxygen) nuclei will find themselves next to another nucleus in an instant, making them fuse into Si....then finally Iron. When this is finished, the Sun (like all other stars who became white dwarves) will become an iron star. Due to further quantum tunneling it will become a black hole too, in roundabout..... 10^10^75 years (by then all original black holes formed by heavier stars will already have evaporated). Then it will evaporate in the blink of an eye (= 10^60 years).

M.E. Kaplan hoever has shown in a recent study that those iron dwarves may explode as supernovae instead (positrons are to be blamed). A new brand of supernova even, a "black dwarf/iron star supernova". The first of these kind of supernovae are expected ot be observable in roundabout.....10^1100 years, the last ones in 10^32000 years.

tl;dr
Make sure you have a good supply of popcorn if you wanna watch any of this. Big Grin

R.I.P. Hannes
The following 3 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Peebothuhlu, Inkubus, Finite Monkeys

Thanks.

I won't make any plans that day.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball, Deesse23, SYZ

I'll have to remember to call Uber.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Just checked my calendar. I'm gonna be busy for the whole damned show. Undecided
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 3 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Fireball, Deesse23, Thumpalumpacus

You know what is funny though?  All the religitards think they'll still be looking on from "heaven" watching the whole show!

Unless the accelerating expansion of the universe gets fast enough to rip reality apart... there are multiple theories about the end, whether we just fade away or whether reality falls apart.

Get more popcorn.  Wink

"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

Quote:or whether reality falls apart.

We've just endured 4 years of that.
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Deesse23, Fireball, Thumpalumpacus

I'll try to make sure I'm dead by then. Granted I'll be billions of happy years old in a robot body with memory wipes every century, but there has to be an OFF switch, right?
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

I was once in Wyoming in the winter. I'm pretty sure that was the heat-death of the Universe.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball

(12-16-2020, 07:41 AM)Cavebear Wrote: I'll try to make sure I'm dead by then.  Granted I'll be billions of happy years old in a robot body with memory wipes every century, but there has to be an OFF switch, right?

And it's location has been wiped.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Cavebear

(12-16-2020, 02:05 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I was once in Wyoming in the winter. I'm pretty sure that was the heat-death of the Universe.

Wyoming winters ain't got shit on North Dakota, unless, maybe, you're above 10,000 ft. Crawling around the oil patch on days where the high is projected at 30 below absolutely sucks!
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

These seem to be fun states
Need to put them on my bucket list, right with central siberia
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(12-16-2020, 10:55 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 02:05 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I was once in Wyoming in the winter. I'm pretty sure that was the heat-death of the Universe.

Wyoming winters ain't got shit on North Dakota, unless, maybe, you're above 10,000 ft. Crawling around the oil patch on days where the high is projected at 30 below absolutely sucks!

I wasn't over 10k, but at the Continental Divide where I was, it was both 8,000 above, and 8,000 below, it felt like.
On hiatus.
  • TheGentlemanBastard

I spent two winters in Idaho. The worst I've seen is -28F with a wind chill to -60, but not for very long. I worked as a mechanic in that shit. I was working on a farm truck one time and the snow was melting and dripping on me. The guy hauled hogs. The boss told me to pull it outside and let it freeze again so I wouldn't have more pig shit dripping on me.  Dodgy That's what I did, and then finished the job. I'll never voluntarily go where it snows, again.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Finite Monkeys

(12-16-2020, 11:31 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 10:55 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:

I  wasn't over 10k, but at the Continental Divide where I was, it was both 8,000 above, and 8,000 below, it felt like.

I tend to think of Cheyenne and Casper when thinking of Wyoming, but yes, it can get brutal in the high country.
  • Thumpalumpacus

(12-16-2020, 11:43 PM)Fireball Wrote: I spent two winters in Idaho. The worst I've seen is -28F with a wind chill to -60, but not for very long. I worked as a mechanic in that shit. I was working on a farm truck one time and the snow was melting and dripping on me. The guy hauled hogs. The boss told me to pull it outside and let it freeze again so I wouldn't have more pig shit dripping on me.  Dodgy That's what I did, and then finished the job. I'll never voluntarily go where it snows, again.

I've been paid to sit in a hotel room doing fuck-all because the temp never got above -40 for the day. Hell, the first time I ever went to ND we had a storm that dropped almost three feet of snow in April. Ice-out on the rivers wasn't expected until some time in May. I'm not sure there is a state as consistently cold in the winter as North Dakota. If you've ever seen "Fargo," that's what the whole fucking place looks like, all winter long.
  • Fireball

(12-16-2020, 11:57 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: I've been paid to sit in a hotel room doing fuck-all because the temp never got above -40 for the day. Hell, the first time I ever went to ND we had a storm that dropped almost three feet of snow in April. Ice-out on the rivers wasn't expected until some time in May. I'm not sure there is a state as consistently cold in the winter as North Dakota. If you've ever seen "Fargo," that's what the whole fucking place looks like, all winter long.

The Air Force had a base up there, in Minot, and the tagline was "Why not Minot?"

My <unspoken> answer, consistently, was "Because I'm a big pussy about that kind of cold, that's why not."

I honestly don't know how people can live that stuff five or six months of the year. I start whining when it gets to the 30s.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Deesse23

(12-16-2020, 02:10 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 07:41 AM)Cavebear Wrote: I'll try to make sure I'm dead by then.  Granted I'll be billions of happy years old in a robot body with memory wipes every century, but there has to be an OFF switch, right?

And it's location has been wiped.

Apple O/S 1000.3 Andromeda will tell me.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

(12-17-2020, 12:08 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 11:57 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: I've been paid to sit in a hotel room doing fuck-all because the temp never got above -40 for the day. Hell, the first time I ever went to ND we had a storm that dropped almost three feet of snow in April. Ice-out on the rivers wasn't expected until some time in May. I'm not sure there is a state as consistently cold in the winter as North Dakota. If you've ever seen "Fargo," that's what the whole fucking place looks like, all winter long.

The Air Force had a base up there, in Minot, and the tagline was "Why not Minot?"

My <unspoken> answer, consistently, was "Because I'm a big pussy about that kind of cold, that's why not."

I honestly don't know how people can live that stuff five or six months of the year. I start whining when it gets to the 30s.

I moved 2,000 miles west and south because I couldn't take the weather in New York.
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Fireball

I saw snow one time when I was a kid. :-)

(12-17-2020, 05:58 AM)Minimalist Wrote: I moved 2,000 miles west and south because I couldn't take the weather in New York.

Instead, you have to deal with rattlesnakes and Arizonans.
On hiatus.
  • c172

(12-17-2020, 12:08 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

We have a wide variety of winters here in the Finger Lakes. 2011 is known around here as the "winter that wasn't". Street vendors stayed open all winter. It seldom got below freezing.

That's one extreme. We are probably near the other extreme this winter. We got 18 inches of snow Thursday night, it is 18 degrees F (-8 C) today, and we're slated for another 5 or 6 inches of snow next Thurs / Fri.

Usually Syracuse, about 65 miles N/NE of us, gets way more snow each season than us. Their snow is mostly lake effect (Lake Ontario) and that band generally misses us. Storms coming up the Ohio Valley like this one tend to just miss us to the South. This one didn't.

We've had a run of 80 degree days in early March in recent years, and a run of 40 degree days in May.

Frankly I'd prefer a decisive, I-know-what-I'm-dealing-with winter, to all this waffling around.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

I'll take the waffling we get here. Our winters are mostly in the 30s for overnight lows, and 40s for daytime highs. We'll get the occasional ice-storm, or snow that rarely sticks at all. You can keep that four-month deep-freeze.
On hiatus.

Smile

Not at work.
The following 1 user Likes Peebothuhlu's post:
  • Deesse23

Black hole bomb. How nasty is that!?
R.I.P. Hannes