Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit - Problems
Exclamation 
Okay, for the last couple of weeks, I've been endeavouring to fine tune Windows 10 after
buying a new Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop PC with it already installed.

And I'm having lots of little issues—admittedly not catastrophic by any means—but still
irritating enough to drive me slightly psycho every day when I boot it up.  It's even difficult
to set up Win 10 font sizing in order to get it to correctly render pages to look something
that looks like their designers intended.

Anyway...

Logging into Win 10 after booting.  What a fucking shower of shit.  As you know, it opens
with a dialogue box for your passcode.  Most times it won't accept your first attempt, and
prompts you to try again by... popping up your username in two buttons at the lower left
screen corner.  You then have to choose one of them and try again, and if that doesn't let
you in, then you have to use the other, second one—which works OK.

I've tried to delete the need for a passcode using THIS method, bit with zero success.

This is the first screen...

[Image: 5db0c66bdee0191d354cba3c?width=700&forma...&auto=webp]

And this is the second screen...

[Image: 5db0c794dee0191d04345aa8?width=700&forma...&auto=webp]

In the User Accounts screen that launches, unticking the box that says "Users must enter a name
and password to use this computer
" does not make any difference to the login process.

—Any thoughts on this greatly appreciated (and anything about font sizing also).     

[Image: thanks.gif]

PS:  I'm strongly considering reverting to Win 8.1 as I'm disliking Win 10 more every day.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Why do you have 2 people there in the first place? You and the program get confused between them it seems. Some things only the administrator can do.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • SYZ

Delete one of those accounts, preferably the one with the password you don't know. Big Grin
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • SYZ

I don't know if you still can, but setting the password to blank used to work. If Windows won't let you do it, there are password resetting boot disks based on Linux that probably will. And two accounts, Administrator + a user is pretty normal.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • SYZ

I think you're skipping a step. Give this a try:

There are reasons Ubuntu Linux has become my primary OS, M$ seizing more and more control over my data, how I access it and how I protect it being among the biggest.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 2 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • SYZ, brunumb

(11-21-2020, 01:50 PM)Dom Wrote: Why do you have 2 people there in the first place? You and the program get confused between them it seems. Some things only the administrator can do.

I have not the faintest idea Dom! The two usernames—both my name—just popped up, unbidden, on the login screen.
One works okay, but the other one locks me out. Why it's there is anybody's guess; it's just another one of the many
glitches in Win 10. There's no easy option to delete the second username. I have administrator access, so there's no
issue with that.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Cavebear

(11-22-2020, 11:00 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 01:50 PM)Dom Wrote: Why do you have 2 people there in the first place? You and the program get confused between them it seems. Some things only the administrator can do.

I have not the faintest idea Dom!  The two usernames—both my name—just popped up, unbidden, on the login screen.
One works okay, but the other one locks me out.  Why it's there is anybody's guess; it's just another one of the many
glitches in Win 10.  There's no easy option to delete the second username.  I have administrator access, so there's no
issue with that.

Having administrator access in Win10 is not like it was in previous versions. There are still huge areas of the OS where you have to wrest control back from M$ and even then, many of them get reset with the next mandatory update.

I have not the faintest idea Dom!  The two usernames—both my name—just popped up, unbidden, on the login screen.
One works okay, but the other one locks me out.  Why it's there is anybody's guess; it's just another one of the many
glitches in Win 10.  There's no easy option to delete the second username.  I have administrator access, so there's no
issue with that.

go to settings - properties - type administrator on the search box - pick: Change user account control settings

I am in no way what you describe as a computer whiz - I know nothing. I just search for what I want, and I find windows 10 easy. I have mine set up exactly like I had windows 8, but don't ask me how I did everything, because I just go in, search, set and forget about it, lol.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

issue with that.

I often have demands for 2 admin names. I have no idea why, but I understand your frustrations with that.

I normally use a Mac online, but sme programs on Windows are better (Excel, Word and some older games) so I have a Window 10 Dell on a card table. It sucks. I can't make it organize my files the way I want it to (and can on my mac). Not pushing Mac, just saying I find Windows 10 very hard to use the way I want to organize files.

I used Windows happily for a decade. I just don't think the way IT thinks these days. And I can't even figure out WHY.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • SYZ

I've just purchased Win 8.1 software on a disc, and now have to figure out loading it over
my current Win 10 OS in order to double boot. I'm also happy to uninstall Win 10 if that's
what it takes to get back to Win 8.1 as my sole OS. I can see now why I'm reading so much
hatred for Win 10 LOL.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Dānu

(12-21-2020, 05:03 PM)SYZ Wrote: I've just purchased Win 8.1 software on a disc, and now have to figure out loading it over
my current Win 10 OS in order to double boot.  I'm also happy to uninstall Win 10 if that's
what it takes to get back to Win 8.1 as my sole OS.  I can see now why I'm reading so much
hatred for Win 10 LOL.

If that hasn't changed radically since I used two systems on the same machine, it won't let you, as long as you're running win10. In order to use them both, you'd first have to install win8 instead of win10 and then win10. At least it was that way when I last did it, which was in XP times.

Btw, I'm curious why you want win8.1 in the first place. It was the least liked system microsoft ever produced.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • SYZ

If you didn't have two administrators, you wouldn't have this issue. Just saying.

I don't know enough about modern boot sequences to offer an experienced opinion, but from my general knowledge, dual booting the two shouldn't be an issue, though it will probably require some technical futzing and maybe a third party boot loader.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
  • SYZ

(12-21-2020, 05:03 PM)SYZ Wrote: I've just purchased Win 8.1 software on a disc, and now have to figure out loading it over
my current Win 10 OS in order to double boot.  I'm also happy to uninstall Win 10 if that's
what it takes to get back to Win 8.1 as my sole OS.  I can see now why I'm reading so much
hatred for Win 10 LOL.

I have six machines running Win1010 and not a moment's problems over the years.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dom, SYZ

It also depends how you're setting up the dual boot. Shared disk letting the boot loader handle OS selection or separate disks with boot control handled by the BIOS. If you use your BIOS to select your boot drive, OS installation order doesn't matter. If you're partitioning up a single drive, the M$ operating systems get pissy if their "latest greatest" isn't in control of everything.
  • SYZ, Inkubus

I've never actually done it this way, but they sell disk trays that you can insert and remove individual disks, some of them trayless (and others for which you can get an extra tray). If you only plan to switch occasionally, that might be worth considering. If you intend to be flipping back and forth constantly, you might consider running your secondary OS in a virtual machine, if reinstalling Windows 10 is not an issue.

Vivekananda
  • SYZ

Thanks guys... you've given me some food for thought. I've had endless issues with
Win 10 as a clean install on a new desktop AIO that I bought recently. I used Win 8
and 8.1 for around 7 years without any glitches. And I notice tonnes of sites detailing
how to roll back to 8.1 from 10. I now know why LOL.

Thumbs Up

Windows 8.1? Why would anyone want to duel boot that ghastly piece of shit?

(12-21-2020, 08:24 PM)SYZ Wrote: Thanks guys... you've given me some food for thought.  I've had endless issues with
Win 10 as a clean install on a new desktop AIO that I bought recently.  I used Win 8
and 8.1 for around 7 years without any glitches.  And I notice tonnes of sites detailing
how to roll back to 8.1 from 10.  I now know why LOL.

Thumbs Up

I haven't got the least problem with win10 in the last four years, since I used the free upgrade option from 7. Took a bit of getting used to, but once I knew where everything was, I wouldn't roll back. I never used win8 in the first place. I went from XP to Vista, to 7, to 10.
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • SYZ

(12-21-2020, 08:33 PM)abaris Wrote: I went from XP to Vista, to 7, to 10.

I went from XP to 7 to 10 to Ubuntu Linux. I got fucking tired of windows software that worked perfectly in XP and 7 only to suddenly, unexplainedly fail in Win10 after yet another unnecessary weekly update.
  • Inkubus, Thumpalumpacus

(12-21-2020, 08:24 PM)SYZ Wrote: Thanks guys... you've given me some food for thought.  I've had endless issues with
Win 10 as a clean install on a new desktop AIO that I bought recently.  I used Win 8
and 8.1 for around 7 years without any glitches.  And I notice tonnes of sites detailing
how to roll back to 8.1 from 10.  I now know why LOL.

Thumbs Up

You have 2 administrators with the same name. No wonder you don't know who is who when you are asked for a password. See if you can change the name of one so you know who is who. Then you can probably demote the other admin to user.

Just something to look at, I haven't tried it, mine is fine.

(12-21-2020, 09:20 PM)Dom Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 08:24 PM)SYZ Wrote: Thanks guys...

You have 2 administrators with the same name. No wonder you don't know who is who when you are asked for a password. See if you can change the name of one so you know who is who. Then you can probably demote the other admin to user.

Somehow Win 10 created those two admin names all of its own sweet accord, with zero
input from me.  On booting, it randomly chooses either one or the other for my password.
Sometimes it's the matching one, and sometimes not.

I've run the "netplwiz" routine half a dozen times, always with no effect...

[Image: Screenshot-2020-12-22-How-to-turn-off-th...o-your.png]

And this is just one of the reasons I hate Windowsfuckingten!     Aggravated

(12-21-2020, 09:42 PM)SYZ Wrote: Somehow Win 10 created those two admin names all of its own sweet accord, with zero
input from me.  On booting, it randomly chooses either one or the other for my password.

I don't understand, why you even have to log in in the first place. My systems were never password protected and win10 makes no exception. I'm simply "user" as far as windows is concerned. Sometimes it tells me, I need admin rights to perform a certain task, but that's no big issue, since I only have to click "continue" to get it done.

Did you buy your rig with win10 preinstalled or did you perform the installation?

(12-21-2020, 09:42 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 09:20 PM)Dom Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 08:24 PM)SYZ Wrote: Thanks guys...

Somehow Win 10 created those two admin names all of its own sweet accord, with zero

I've run the "netplwiz" routine half a dozen times, always with no effect...

[Image: Screenshot-2020-12-22-How-to-turn-off-th...o-your.png]

And this is just one of the reasons I hate Windowsfuckingten!     Aggravated

You must have double clicked on something during set-up. 10 is innocent, otherwise more people would have this issue. Have you tried googling the issue? That's how I usually resolve whatever may be going on.

(12-21-2020, 09:46 PM)abaris Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 09:42 PM)SYZ Wrote: Somehow Win 10 created those two admin names all of its own sweet accord...

Did you buy your rig with win10 preinstalled or did you perform the installation?

Yep, pre-installed by Lenovo.