Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Poll: Would you drink decaf?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No
25.00%
5 25.00%
Yes
55.00%
11 55.00%
Maybe
15.00%
3 15.00%
I don't drink coffee
5.00%
1 5.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you drink decaf?

Would you drink decaf?
Would you or have you ever had decaf coffee? Every so often I try to lower my coffee intake because I do think it impacts my ability to sleep at night sometimes.  I also think the state of the world is making me anxious, so I'm not sure coffee is helping with that.  That said, I LOOOOOVE coffee.  I love the taste.  I love the smell.  I love the frothy milk in my lattes.  I love everything about it.  Anyway, I'm thinking of trying decaf...
The following 4 users Like Bcat's post:
  • Gwaithmir, GenesisNemesis, Little Lunch, brewerb

Would you drink decaf?
(10-14-2020, 04:37 PM)Bcat Wrote: Would you or have you ever had decaf coffee? Every so often I try to lower my coffee intake because I do think it impacts my ability to sleep at night sometimes.  I also think the state of the world is making me anxious, so I'm nots ure coffee is helping with that.  That said, I LOOOOOVE coffee.  I love the taste.  I love the smell.  I love the frothy milk in my lattes.  I love everything about it.  Anyway, I'm thinking of trying decaf...

But I do drink decaf green tea after 4 pm.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Bcat

Would you drink decaf?
I drink it occasionally during the wintertime, when I want a hot drink but don't want to kept awake or get jittery.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Bcat

Would you drink decaf?
(10-14-2020, 04:37 PM)Bcat Wrote: Would you or have you ever had decaf coffee? Every so often I try to lower my coffee intake because I do think it impacts my ability to sleep at night sometimes.  I also think the state of the world is making me anxious, so I'm nots ure coffee is helping with that.  That said, I LOOOOOVE coffee.  I love the taste.  I love the smell.  I love the frothy milk in my lattes.  I love everything about it.  Anyway, I'm thinking of trying decaf...

I loved coffee back when I had a habit in the 90's in Vermont. Maple coffees at the hipster coffee joint in Brattleboro, and cheap, brand name black coffee at the Sheraton at Bradley Field in Connecticut the nights before my flights home. I have, to this day, never had decaf. I had to get off coffee because it's a stimulant in more ways than just BP. And I can't have that with spina bifida. Especially as I age. I do miss it. 

I'm not sure if decaf is better for the digestive system, so I haven't risked it. 

Having said all that, I have a hell of a sweet tooth. I went through all my halloween 2020 candy in 6 days, so I need to get more on Friday, in case I get TOTers in this new place of mine. However, I can't deal with Peeps. I get especially jacked up with those. 

Drinkwise, I do enjoy Red Bull, immensely. I love the flavor. However, I need to be very careful to limit myself, and watch what kind of day I drink it. It has caused me lots of insomnia.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Bcat

Would you drink decaf?
I don't see the point. If I'm drinking coffee I want to be caffeinated.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

The following 2 users Like Aegon's post:
  • Bcat, Fireball

Would you drink decaf?
I'd probably drink decaf if I wanted some in the afternoon and was worried about my sleep.

Apparently, while when younger it definitely would keep me up at night if consumed in the afternoon, now that I am old, it doesn't. I fall asleep easily. So, I drink it whenever I want.

I do like to drink herbal teas also, especially peppermint, and usually do so when it's cold and I want something hot but don't feel like having coffee.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Bcat

Would you drink decaf?
I have to be careful about my blood pressure and meds, so if I'm having a third or fourth cup of coffee in one day I'll drink decaf.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Bcat, SYZ

Would you drink decaf?
(10-14-2020, 04:37 PM)Bcat Wrote: Would you or have you ever had decaf coffee? Every so often I try to lower my coffee intake because I do think it impacts my ability to sleep at night sometimes.  I also think the state of the world is making me anxious, so I'm not sure coffee is helping with that.  That said, I LOOOOOVE coffee.  I love the taste.  I love the smell.  I love the frothy milk in my lattes.  I love everything about it.  Anyway, I'm thinking of trying decaf...

Do give it a try. I tasted such in Germany when I accidentally bought caffeine free Dallmayr coffee. It was pretty good.

As a side note I was forced to lessen my coffee consumption to one cup daily. More and I have trouble sleeping, though only if I will drink it past certain hour.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Bcat

Would you drink decaf?
(10-14-2020, 04:37 PM)Bcat Wrote: Would you or have you ever had decaf coffee? Every so often I try to lower my coffee intake because I do think it impacts my ability to sleep at night sometimes.  I also think the state of the world is making me anxious, so I'm not sure coffee is helping with that.  That said, I LOOOOOVE coffee.  I love the taste.  I love the smell.  I love the frothy milk in my lattes.  I love everything about it.  Anyway, I'm thinking of trying decaf...

I suggest Taster's Choice by Folger's. It's a bit pricey, but very good.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Bcat

Would you drink decaf?
No.  If I can't have Hi-Test I won't drink coffee.

I try to drink de-caf Diet Coke after 6 PM.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Bcat

Would you drink decaf?
As. supplement, not a substitute. Green Mountain makes decent decaf.
god, ugh
The following 1 user Likes julep's post:
  • Bcat

Would you drink decaf?

I do full caf in the morning, 1/2 caf in the afternoons if I partake (and I usually do), and if I drink coffee at night, I do decaf. I can't taste the difference, but I will feel the difference in the morning if I drink decaf.
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • Bcat

Would you drink decaf?
(10-14-2020, 05:03 PM)Aegon Wrote: I don't see the point. If I'm drinking coffee I want to be caffeinated.

Why do you drink other drinks? Do you drink other drinks that don't have a benefit other than "tastes good"? Decaf tastes the same as regular coffee without the penalties. For me that's enough. I drink a large cup of coffee (two k-pods) every night just to be able to stay awake until 9 PM. To avoid that being an onerous task I get flavored, carmel macchiato being my first choice. But a few years back regular coffee cause tachycardia, it was basically killing me. So I ran decaf until they had my meds sorted out. My current 29 different daily meds would stun an ox, so I drink caffeinated beverages to get more than a ten hour day.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 5 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Bcat, c172, Aliza, Thumpalumpacus, Gwaithmir

Would you drink decaf?
I only drink decaf if it's within a couple of hours before my bedtime.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Bcat

Would you drink decaf?
I try to avoid dark roast beans because they have less caffeine than lighter roasts. You can have the decaf. Give me the jet fuel! Big Grin
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 2 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Bcat, Fireball

Would you drink decaf?
I'm really craving chocolate covered espresso beans right now. I used to love those.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 2 users Like c172's post:
  • Bcat, Dom

Would you drink decaf?
(10-14-2020, 07:26 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: I try to avoid dark roast beans because they have less caffeine than lighter roasts. You can have the decaf. Give me the jet fuel! Big Grin

I like the lighter roast because I need less cream. Less cream = fewer calories consumed.
The following 3 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Bcat, c172, Gwaithmir

Would you drink decaf?
I always want to make some decaf coffee at night but I never get around to getting decaf at the store.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Bcat, SYZ

Would you drink decaf?
I need an option for FUCK NO!

If I want something decaffeinated, I'll have sparkling water, generally speaking, and I do keep a couple herbal teas on hand if I want something hot. Coffee without caffeine just tastes wrong.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 1 user Likes trdsf's post:
  • Bcat

Would you drink decaf?
I limit myself to one pot of caffeinated coffee in the morning. If I want a full pot afterward or later, I go with decaf. And I drink a lot of single cups of caffeinated coffee later in the day with my Keurig type machine, but if it's getting close to bed time I switch to decaf. The Day To Day Columbian Supremo Decaf K-cup pods are actually pretty decent. For whole pots I generally go with Caribou's decaf.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Bcat, SYZ

Would you drink decaf?
I just want to add here that this was my most recent coffee purchase...

[Image: Wake_The_Fuck_Up_Extra_Strong_Coffee.jpg]
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 3 users Like trdsf's post:
  • Bcat, Aliza, skyking

Would you drink decaf?
(10-14-2020, 08:00 PM)trdsf Wrote: I need an option for FUCK NO!

If I want something decaffeinated, I'll have sparkling water, generally speaking, and I do keep a couple herbal teas on hand if I want something hot.  Coffee without caffeine just tastes wrong.

What exactly is the taste difference? Is it more bitter? More bland? More earthy? Maybe you find a chemical aftertaste? I can't taste any difference at all.
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • Bcat

Would you drink decaf?
(10-14-2020, 08:22 PM)Aliza Wrote:

If I want something decaffeinated, I'll have sparkling water, generally speaking, and I do keep a couple herbal teas on hand if I want something hot.  Coffee without caffeine just tastes wrong.
What exactly is the taste difference? Is it more bitter? More bland? More earthy? Maybe you find a chemical aftertaste? I can't taste any difference at all.
Caffeine adds bitterness, but not an unpleasant bitterness.  It's why light roasts generally have a very focused flavor, while darker roasts are fuller -- the lighter the roast, the higher the caffeine on average.  I think 'bland' is the best way to describe how I find decaf.  If the color brown had a flavor, it would be decaf coffee: hot brown water.
The following 3 users Like trdsf's post:
  • Aliza, Bcat, Unsapien

Would you drink decaf?
No! But then again, I'd rather dine with trump and pence than drink any type of coffee period. Coffee is without a doubt, the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted. I can't even walk down the coffee aisle in the supermarket without wanting to vomit.
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Bcat

Would you drink decaf?
(10-14-2020, 08:35 PM)trdsf Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 08:22 PM)Aliza Wrote:

Caffeine adds bitterness, but not an unpleasant bitterness.  It's why light roasts generally have a very focused flavor, while darker roasts are fuller -- the lighter the roast, the higher the caffeine on average.  I think 'bland' is the best way to describe how I find decaf.  If the color brown had a flavor, it would be decaf coffee: hot brown water.

I just tried some decaf and I tend to agree with you.  Reg. coffee has a much more bold (obviously) and more flavorful taste.  I also didn't feel like decaf has the same aroma as reg. coffee.  That said, it didn't taste bad, just lacking the flavor/smell I'm used to.