Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Poll: Do you like to cook, bake etc.?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
55.56%
15 55.56%
Don't mind doing it.
22.22%
6 22.22%
No
18.52%
5 18.52%
I live on sunlight and air and have no need for actual food
3.70%
1 3.70%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc.

I need to make some more candies soon. I tried a new strawberries & cream mix last time and it turned out so well (very similar to creme savers) I want to do some more fruit and cream flavors.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 2 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • M.Linoge, Bcat

(06-16-2020, 04:10 AM)tomilay Wrote: I use a Dutch oven.  A lot.  Between that and a pit master grill and smoker I am covered for the week.  I also love making lamb chops on a skillet.  My carbs are mainly air fried sweet and regular potatoes.  I can also make a mean roti.

I've wanted a dutch oven for a long while, but the good ones are really expensive, and I'm not sure that it wouldn't largely duplicate the functions of the instant pots, stock pots, and broilers that I already have.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Bcat

(06-16-2020, 11:32 AM)Dānu Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 04:10 AM)tomilay Wrote: I use a Dutch oven.  A lot.  Between that and a pit master grill and smoker I am covered for the week.  I also love making lamb chops on a skillet.  My carbs are mainly air fried sweet and regular potatoes.  I can also make a mean roti.

I've wanted a dutch oven for a long while, but the good ones are really expensive, and I'm not sure that it wouldn't largely duplicate the functions of the instant pots, stock pots, and broilers that I already have.

I have the cheaper one, Lodge cast iron.  Depending on your skill level, it may duplicate those functions.  IMO you need less skill to get fantastic tasting results with a Dutch oven.  You could almost be a dummy in the kitchen and still get good results with the Dutch oven.
If it doesn't work, it doesn't matter how fast it doesn't work. ~ ???
The following 1 user Likes tomilay's post:
  • Bcat

(06-16-2020, 03:17 PM)tomilay Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 11:32 AM)Dānu Wrote:

I have the cheaper one, Lodge cast iron.  Depending on your skill level, it may duplicate those functions.  IMO you need less skill to get fantastic tasting results with a Dutch oven.  You could almost be a dummy in the kitchen and still get good results with the Dutch oven.

Cheaper, but not cheap. Walmart wants twice what I've paid for any other pan for the cheapest one. A 6 quart Lodge Dutch oven is $70. Though again, I suppose it's another one of those things you have to try to determine it's value. But the price of that gamble, again, is high. I don't know what you mean about needing less skill. To my mind, that's one of the greatest virtues of the instant pots is that it makes even the worst bumbler into an instant chef. For example, with ribs, I just smear on some rib rub, put some water, apple cider vinegar, and liquid smoke in the bottom, load the ribs and press a few buttons. They come out superb and tender. All that's left is to put them on a baking pan, dribble on some sauce and broil for a few minutes. Cooking with an instant pot may even require less skill than a dutch oven.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
  • Bcat

(06-16-2020, 03:55 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 03:17 PM)tomilay Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 11:32 AM)Dānu Wrote: I've wanted a dutch oven for a long while, but the good ones are really expensive, and I'm not sure that it wouldn't largely duplicate the functions of the instant pots, stock pots, and broilers that I already have.

Cheaper, but not cheap.  Walmart wants twice what I've paid for any other pan for the cheapest one.  A 6 quart Lodge Dutch oven is $70.  Though again, I suppose it's another one of those things you have to try to determine it's value.  But the price of that gamble, again, is high.  

Yes, it's subjective.  Still its rugged enough that you can use it "forever".

Quote:I don't know what you mean about needing less skill.  To my mind, that's one of the greatest virtues of the instant pots is that it makes even the worst bumbler into an instant chef.  For example, with ribs, I just smear on some rib rub, put some water, apple cider vinegar, and liquid smoke in the bottom, load the ribs and press a few buttons.  They come out superb and tender.  All that's left is to put them on a baking pan, dribble on some sauce and broil for a few minutes.  Cooking with an instant pot may even require less skill than a dutch oven.

The food that you get from a Dutch oven usually has a richer flavor, than the same ingredient in the instant pot.  Especially stews.  If you place a pork loin, potatoes and some salt in a Dutch oven, cover and bake for 2 hours, you will get a totally different result than the same thing in a instant pot.  The instant pot version will taste almost institutional.  Edible, but you are not going for refills.

I don't know why, but I know for sure the quality is different.  Yes, it takes longer to cook, but you just have to start earlier if you have that option.
  • Bcat

(06-16-2020, 04:18 PM)tomilay Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 03:55 PM)Dānu Wrote: I don't know what you mean about needing less skill.  To my mind, that's one of the greatest virtues of the instant pots is that it makes even the worst bumbler into an instant chef.  For example, with ribs, I just smear on some rib rub, put some water, apple cider vinegar, and liquid smoke in the bottom, load the ribs and press a few buttons.  They come out superb and tender.  All that's left is to put them on a baking pan, dribble on some sauce and broil for a few minutes.  Cooking with an instant pot may even require less skill than a dutch oven.

The food that you get from a Dutch oven usually has a richer flavor, than the same ingredient in the instant pot.  Especially stews.  If you place a pork loin, potatoes and some salt in a Dutch oven, cover and bake for 2 hours, you will get a totally different result than the same thing in a instant pot.  The instant pot version will taste almost institutional.  Edible, but you are not going for refills.

I don't know why, but I know for sure the quality is different.  Yes, it takes longer to cook, but you just have to start earlier if you have that option.

It depends upon how you use the instant pot. What you're saying about the stew assumes the use of only one method, and one not geared toward the instant pot. As they say, one shouldn't judge a philosophy by its abuse. The instant pot is capable of multiple techniques. And I can assure you that my chili doesn't lack for flavor or taste 'institutional'. Though I have no doubt you are correct to a degree. That is one of the failings of the air fryer. While it is quick and convenient, it cannot duplicate the flavor and tenderness of baking in an oven in most cases. But it's a trade-off. Instant Pots afford ease of use, versatility, reliability of result, easy cleaning, and excellent taste in a variety of cooking tasks without the trouble associated with a less versatile device that requires leaving an oven pumping out heat for a long time in what might be the height of summer. Not that I'm knocking dutch ovens, as I say, I want one, but I think you're offering a distorted comparison. As an example, my previous ILS worker only used her instant pot for making rice, which by all accounts it does as well or better than any specialty appliance. People make yogurts and cakes in them. There's a whole continent of recipes for using instant pots for sous vide. And it can slow cook and pressure cook, usually at two pressures, and saute the meat all in one non-stick pot. A Dutch oven isn't anywhere near as capable.

What have been your experiences using an instant pot?

(ETA: As another example, my red lentil curry only involved a handful of ingredients, yet the taste and result was superb. I bought four pounds of red lentils at double the usual market price because I'm dying for seconds.)

Vivekananda
  • Bcat

(06-16-2020, 04:39 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 04:18 PM)tomilay Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 03:55 PM)Dānu Wrote: I don't know what you mean about needing less skill.  To my mind, that's one of the greatest virtues of the instant pots is that it makes even the worst bumbler into an instant chef.  For example, with ribs, I just smear on some rib rub, put some water, apple cider vinegar, and liquid smoke in the bottom, load the ribs and press a few buttons.  They come out superb and tender.  All that's left is to put them on a baking pan, dribble on some sauce and broil for a few minutes.  Cooking with an instant pot may even require less skill than a dutch oven.

It depends upon how you use the instant pot.  What you're saying about the stew assumes the use of only one method, and one not geared toward the instant pot.  As they say, one shouldn't judge a philosophy by its abuse.  The instant pot is capable of multiple techniques.  And I can assure you that my chili doesn't lack for flavor or taste 'institutional'.  Though I have no doubt you are correct to a degree.  That is one of the failings of the air fryer.  While it is quick and convenient, it cannot duplicate the flavor and tenderness of baking in an oven in most cases.  But it's a trade-off.  Instant Pots afford ease of use, versatility, reliability of result, easy cleaning, and excellent taste in a variety of cooking tasks without the trouble associated with a less versatile device that requires leaving an oven pumping out heat for a long time in what might be the height of summer.  Not that I'm knocking dutch ovens, as I say, I want one, but I think you're offering a distorted comparison.  As an example, my previous ILS worker only used her instant pot for making rice, which by all accounts it does as well or better than any specialty appliance.  People make yogurts and cakes in them.  There's a whole continent of recipes for using instant pots for sous vide.  And it can slow cook and pressure cook, usually at two pressures, and saute the meat all in one non-stick pot.  A Dutch oven isn't anywhere near as capable.

What have been your experiences using an instant pot?

(ETA:  As another example, my red lentil curry only involved a handful of ingredients, yet the taste and result was superb.  I bought four pounds of red lentils at double the usual market price because I'm dying for seconds.)

I was only explaining why I think you need less skill for a Dutch oven.  I am a gather ingredients, throw them into a container, turn the heat and timer on and go away type of cook.  For that level of attention to detail, you get rather decent results in a Dutch oven.  For this specific approach, you get comparatively bland tasting food in an instant pot.  No, I don't think you were knocking the Dutch oven.

You see the techniques you mention for instant pots, that to me is extra skill.  You have to understand and apply the philosophy as you say.  Which requires knowing more than just pressing a button.  

I have made some stews in an instant pot, using my style.  Beef comes out okay, more tender, if a bit bland(compared to a Dutch oven).  Goat comes out much more to my liking - I think because it tends to be tougher with naturally richer flavor than beef.  Pork is just awful.

I like red lentils, but mung beans even more.  But I have always boiled them on the stove top and then sauteed them with onions, jalapenos and tomatoes to make a dipping sauce for rotis.  Now that you mention doing it in an instant pot, it might be worth a try.  May be you could share some recipe.
  • Bcat

I'd say it requires different skills, rather than more or less. I don't have the first clue how to use a Dutch oven. Nor did I know how to use an instant pot when I bought it. I spent several months making inedible batches of chili before getting my ILS worker to teach me how to make it (before the instant pot). And I'm still experimenting with various things such as different ways to prepare beef and chicken for freezing. They both require some skill, but considerably less probably, for certain things, and more for others. As noted, ribs turn out great with just a minimal prep, throw them in the pot, and press a button.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • tomilay, Bcat

This recipe isn't for an instant pot, but it works fine in one. I've found that converting a recipe is often as easy as googling the words instant pot followed by the name of what you're cooking and following the times and techniques for the instant pot using the same ingredients. A quick google suggests pressure cooking for 15 minutes. I just guesstimated when I made this. Sometimes I search out explicitly instant pot recipes. With the air fryer, you almost have to do so.

Red Lentil Curry (Ethiopian Lentils)

[Image: red-lentil-curry.jpg]

Vivekananda
The following 3 users Like Dānu's post:
  • KittyAnn, tomilay, Bcat

I've never had mung beans. I'm guessing an oriental grocer would be where to look. If you've got a recipe, I'll put it on my list.

Vivekananda
  • Bcat

I love to cook ... I love to eat so it is obvious ... mainly i cook fast but quite tasty food, sometimes healthy and sometimes not ... I never liked baking because I don't like sweets too much ok some cakes i like so last year I discovered that I can bake quite nice cakes like for example, raspberry cake under a meringue cloud yummy!!!
[Image: th?id=OIP.ktiFTRzFjpeY3k2Z_ZRehQHaFd&pid...=244&h=181]
Elmyra- i'm gonna hug you and love you and squeeze you into itty bitty pieces...until you die!!!
The following 4 users Like KittyAnn's post:
  • M.Linoge, Tres Leches, Gwaithmir, Bcat

(06-16-2020, 07:01 PM)Dānu Wrote: I've never had mung beans.  I'm guessing an oriental grocer would be where to look.  If you've got a recipe, I'll put it on my list.

Possibly.  I get mine at the regular grocery store, a Jewel Osco.  But you will not miss them at any Indian store(they will likely go under the name moong).  I have nothing specific besides boiling them(about 45 minutes) and then sauteeing  Smile.
The following 2 users Like tomilay's post:
  • Dānu, Bcat

Just tried my hand at chocolate making. Had I known it was so damned easy, I'd have started doing it a loooong time ago.

Made three batches of dark chocolate, with flavorings. Peppermint, huckleberry and banana/coconut. Waiting for them to cool and harden now to see if they taste as good as the dribs and drabs of the melted stuff I tasted was.
The following 2 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Deesse23, Bcat

(07-12-2020, 04:45 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: ... Peppermint, huckleberry and banana/coconut. Waiting for them to cool and harden now to see if they taste as good as the dribs and drabs of the melted stuff I tasted was.

LOL... didn't know huckleberries were a thing.  The only time I've seen the word, it related to a blue canine.

[Image: 200px-Huckleberry-Hound.png]

Big Grin      Big Grin     Big Grin
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Bcat

(07-12-2020, 04:45 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: Just tried my hand at chocolate making. Had I known it was so damned easy, I'd have started doing it a loooong time ago.

Made three batches of dark chocolate, with flavorings. Peppermint, huckleberry and banana/coconut. Waiting for them to cool and harden now to see if they taste as good as the dribs and drabs of the melted stuff I tasted was.

I haven't tried flavoring chocolates, but I've had good luck hand-dipping.  I haven't done that for a while, I should.

Turkish delight is a little involved, but making it from scratch is *sooooooo* good.  I use a recipe from a steampunk cookbook (Venusian delight -- made with absinthe).  I've successfully modified it by subbing out the absinthe with Chambord (Martian delight), Midori (Uranian delight), Bailey's (Jovian delight) and blue curaçao (Neptunian delight).  I plan to use Goldschläger to make Mercurian delight, and Galliano for Saturnian delight.  Smile
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 3 users Like trdsf's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Dānu, Bcat

(07-12-2020, 05:16 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(07-12-2020, 04:45 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: ... Peppermint, huckleberry and banana/coconut. Waiting for them to cool and harden now to see if they taste as good as the dribs and drabs of the melted stuff I tasted was.

LOL... didn't know huckleberries were a thing.  The only time I've seen the word, it related to a blue canine.

[Image: 200px-Huckleberry-Hound.png]

Big Grin      Big Grin     Big Grin

Huckleberries are in the same family as blue berries, but have a unique flavor profile. They also only grow well between 4,000 and 8,000 feet.
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Bcat

(07-12-2020, 08:09 AM)trdsf Wrote:
(07-12-2020, 04:45 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: Just tried my hand at chocolate making. Had I known it was so damned easy, I'd have started doing it a loooong time ago.

I haven't tried flavoring chocolates, but I've had good luck hand-dipping.  I haven't done that for a while, I should.

Turkish delight is a little involved, but making it from scratch is *sooooooo* good.  I use a recipe from a steampunk cookbook (Venusian delight -- made with absinthe).  I've successfully modified it by subbing out the absinthe with Chambord (Martian delight), Midori (Uranian delight), Bailey's (Jovian delight) and blue curaçao (Neptunian delight).  I plan to use Goldschläger to make Mercurian delight, and Galliano for Saturnian delight.  Smile

Flavoring chocolate is actually harder than making flavored chocolate from scratch. Unless you buy flavoring specifically formulated for chocolate, adding them to the finished product will cause it to 'seize' (become very sticky, lumpy, and generally impossible to work with. Seized chocolate can be fixed with a lot of patience and some cocoa butter, but it's not something I'm ever in the mood to deal with.
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Bcat

Yes, but apparently I'm a distraction in the kitchen so Karen rarely lets me in there. So I'm mostly only allowed to cook outside with fire.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
The following 3 users Like PopeyesPappy's post:
  • KittyAnn, Bcat, TonyAnkle

Yes. I would guess fully half of every day of mine goes towards planning, shopping, prepping, or cooking food. I love that I have the time to do it.
The following 1 user Likes Aroura's post:
  • Bcat

I love to cook or bake. Nothing better than a home cooked meal for me.
The following 1 user Likes Red Belt's post:
  • Bcat

True story:

I come into work one day, my line cook tells me that the night prior there was an incident with one of the guests.

The woman orders one of the sandwiches, and she is unhappy with it. She is giving the server a hard time. So the cook goes out to smooth things over.
The woman is complaining about the fries.

Woman: "The menu says steak fries, these are not steak fries!"

Cook: "Ma'am, we were shorted in our order, the steak fries are just a thicker cut, I gave you extra to make up for it."

Woman: "Oh, I thought they were fries made out of steak.”
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Bcat

I do enjoy cooking, but I tend to overthink it a bit. I can't just "throw everything in" like some people do, i have really take my time and think about what I'm doing.

In saying that though, I'm getting better/quicker when making stuff like chili/spaghetti from scratch. I just need to do it more I think
The following 2 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Bcat, Gwaithmir

(10-13-2020, 02:56 PM)OakTree500 Wrote: I do enjoy cooking, but I tend to overthink it a bit. I can't just "throw everything in" like some people do, i have really take my time and think about what I'm doing.

In saying that though, I'm getting better/quicker when making stuff like chili/spaghetti from scratch. I just need to do it more I think

I do the same thing, I measure everything out, whereas a friend of mine just eyeballs everything.  I also like recipes with few ingredients that use a lot of fresh and not canned items.

Also, Cowabunga Dude!  Tongue
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • OakTree500

(10-13-2020, 02:56 PM)OakTree500 Wrote: I do enjoy cooking, but I tend to overthink it a bit. I can't just "throw everything in" like some people do, i have really take my time and think about what I'm doing.

That's well said. I do like complex flavor profiles but if I "throw everything in" it all gets really muddled. You can't taste the individual ingredients, but they aren't well-synthesized into something interesting and unique either.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Bcat

Yeah, the fewer ingredients the better.... to a point. I chose this chicken curry recipe once because it was simple, which it was, but it was so simple it was bland.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Bcat, TonyAnkle