Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Stupid things the religious say

[Image: safe_image.php?d=AQBgX2IGI-INmwkF&w=540&..._Zua3TVFgr]
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressiv...istianity/
The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • skyking, KevinM1

That Jesus fed 5,000 people with 5 loads of bread and two fish. That's a good one! ROFL2
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(08-10-2019, 03:06 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: That Jesus fed 5,000 people with 5 loads of bread and two fish.

What? No chips?  Sheesh.
No gods necessary
The following 2 users Like brunumb's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Old Man Marsh

(08-10-2019, 12:19 AM)brewerb Wrote:  
Boys that touch themselves are going to hell.

Usually stated by a priest that does the touching to save their soul  ....
The following 1 user Likes madog's post:
  • Gwaithmir

"We're not going to be discussing evolution this semester. Biology has nothing to do with evolution." (The nun who taught biology when I was in my junior year at Holyoke Catholic High School)    Facepalm
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Alan V, Old Man Marsh

"As an atheist, what do you rely on as your moral guide?"      Facepalm
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

"It wasn't magic, it was a miracle!"

Yeah... those are synonyms, dude.
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.

It is stupid thing that religious person wrote but I think it qualify: [...]I would say the God had also good reasons for genocides, but because of atheistic bias not everybody see the good reasons of God.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - Pope John Paul II

Show ContentSpoiler:
The following 2 users Like TheGulegon's post:
  • Vera, Full Circle

If you don't get your penis cut you're not one of us.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

(08-13-2019, 12:37 AM)TheGulegon Wrote: "Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - Pope John Paul II

Show ContentSpoiler:

As in - if you're dumb, you can't be an atheist, as the most proper use of stupidity is religion? Consider

Seeing how generous god's been with this particular gift among his faithful, I mean Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • TheGulegon

(08-10-2019, 03:06 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: That Jesus fed 5,000 people with 5 loads of bread and two fish. That's a good one! ROFL2

Five loaves of bread, not loads. But still, I take your point.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(08-13-2019, 04:10 PM)mordant Wrote:
(08-10-2019, 03:06 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: That Jesus fed 5,000 people with 5 loads of bread and two fish. That's a good one! ROFL2

Five loaves of bread, not loads. But still, I take your point.

Huh. Typo.  Dodgy
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

My parents know what they are talking about ....

This from a happy clapper woman I once knew:

On the age of the earth, and existence of fossils.

No problem; the earth is only  6000 years old and  is as god created it. He created all fossils when he created everything else. She was a bit vague as to why god did that. I suggested that is was to confuse unbelievers. She thought that was probably the case.  hobo

I've noticed that for some reason, that there are lot of evangelical christians especially who flatly reject  climate change. One would think that reality would be seized by the faithful as proof  that the end of days is approaching. Or at the very least, as evidence of God punishing the wicked atheists and other unbelievers.  Tongue
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(08-13-2019, 11:30 PM)grympy Wrote: This from a happy clapper woman I once knew:

No problem; the earth is only  6000 years old and  is as god created it. He created all fossils when he created everything else. She was a bit vague as to why god did that. I suggested that is was to confuse unbelievers. She thought that was probably the case.  hobo

I've noticed that for some reason, that there are lot of evangelical christians especially who flatly reject  climate change. One would think that reality would be seized by the faithful as proof  that the end of days is approaching. Or at the very least, as evidence of God punishing the wicked atheists and other unbelievers.  Tongue

One has to ask, why would god create fossils to begin with?   Is the christian god trying to trick everyone? God isn't supposed to be a trixter.   Even if one doesn't accept evolution as a fact, why would a god make the appearance of evolution throughout nature.  He could have created animals with no genetic connection at all to humans.  He could have made apes with completely different DNA, say, to that of an alien dust mite, and Darwin wouldn't, or couldn't, have connected the dots and followed them to our nearest cousins.   This is either an incredibly stupid god... or he doesn't exist and evolution is a fact.
                                                         T4618

(08-14-2019, 12:22 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 11:30 PM)grympy Wrote: This from a happy clapper woman I once knew:

One has to ask, why would god create fossils to begin with?   Is the christian god trying to trick everyone? God isn't supposed to be a trixter.   Even if one doesn't accept evolution as a fact, why would a god make the appearance of evolution throughout nature.  He could have created animals with no genetic connection at all to humans.  He could have made apes with completely different DNA, say, to that of an alien dust mite, and Darwin wouldn't, or couldn't, have connected the dots and followed them to our nearest cousins.   This is either an incredibly stupid god... or he doesn't exist and evolution is a fact.

God not being a trickster? Not convinced that can be reasonably argued for YHWH of the  old testament . 

His treatment of Adam and Eve was pretty bloody slippery. Then there was poor Abraham; god demanded Abraham sacrifice his son ,and then sent an angel at the last minute  to stop him. Fair dinkum, some of YHWH's behaviour is worthy of Loki.

Of Course, rather than coming up with colourful ways to explain God's behaviour, I prefer Occam's razor . That leaves me at  your statement   "---- or he doesn't exist and evolution is a fact."  Thumbs Up

Quote:https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/14/middleeas...index.html

A few weeks before the fall of Baghouz, I interviewed one of the ISIS women. "God is testing us," she said. "The unworthy will leave, and the righteous will remain." Few of the ISIS women or the fighters we interviewed conceded defeat. Omar, a Palestinian refugee who grew up in Syria, told me: "Maybe the Americans rule the world today, but God Almighty promised the Muslims that, in the end, the world will be ruled by Islam."
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(10-14-2019, 04:52 PM)Alan V Wrote:
Quote:https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/14/middleeas...index.html

A few weeks before the fall of Baghouz, I interviewed one of the ISIS women.  "God is testing us," she said. "The unworthy will leave, and the righteous will remain."  Few of the ISIS women or the fighters we interviewed conceded defeat.  Omar, a Palestinian refugee who grew up in Syria, told me: "Maybe the Americans rule the world today, but God Almighty promised the Muslims that, in the end, the world will be ruled by Islam."

There are quite a few Americans who believe the same thing you do, lady.  ROFL2
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Alan V

Seems to me that everything the religious say qualifies as "stupid."
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Chas

"Hail Mary, full of grapes."

"Our Father, who art in heaven, Howard be thy name."
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.
The following 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post:
  • Dānu

(10-14-2019, 09:46 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote: "Hail Mary, full of grapes."

"Our Father, who art in heaven, Howard be thy name.

WhenI was quite small, I asked my aunt what communion was. Her reply "it's a pill which makes you pray"  

My other aunt told  me;  If you eat too much sugar ,your arms and legs will fall off. Also ,if you swallow your chewing gum, it will wrap itself around your heart and kill you. As an adult, I could see they were each a little odd.  As a child, I worshipped them; it was like having two  extra mothers, except these were far more indulgent. 

An old clip.

Irish comedian Dave Allen,  on religion.  A child's misunderstanding comes up at 4.47, but the whole clip is worth watching. Very funny and very clever. Catholics  and other religious hate that; laughing at them takes away their mystery and their power .  

The following 2 users Like grympy's post:
  • Old Man Marsh, Alan V

(08-10-2019, 12:54 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: [Image: safe_image.php?d=AQBgX2IGI-INmwkF&w=540&..._Zua3TVFgr]
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressiv...istianity/

Ignorance and stupidity are not required of Christians, but this dopey twat has shown they are a decided advantage. ------I was going to mention a few more, but the list  became very long very quickly . As a group? Those who watch Televangelists  and send them money.

Pastor uses death of an atheist mom's baby as sermon illustration

What on earth can one say of such insensitive, stunning humbuggery? Perhaps begin with "What a cunt------

Not being a parent, I am unable to imagine the depth of that poor woman's anguish.

I'm truly sorry I'm unable to attend the protest. (Only becauseI live in Australia)
The following 3 users Like grympy's post:
  • Gwaithmir, brunumb, LastPoet