Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions for new (to me) Christians on the forum

Questions for new (to me) Christians on the forum
(05-23-2021, 10:05 PM)Dom Wrote:
(05-23-2021, 09:17 PM)julep Wrote:
(05-23-2021, 09:07 PM)Dom Wrote: I frequently wish I could talk to my mom, dad, two husbands and two closest friends. Thing is, they do live on in your brain, and you can easily imagine their reaction to current events when you think about it. So, in a way, I do talk to them. They certainly still influence my life, just by occupying prominent places in my brain. They pop into my conscious when events occur that they would be able to help with, or help bring more clarity.

I think, to feel like this, you have to be old and have lost those you loved dearly and with whom you spent a lot of time, living together and sharing everything. In any case, it actually becomes irrelevant after you die. It only matters while you are alive. So, there is that. After you are dead, it's pointless.

I don't know that I agree.  I'm old enough to have long-lasting emotionally resonant relationships with deceased people.  I love my husband and son, very much.  Way more than I dislike my parents and the religious people whom I grew up with.  Yet I still don't have any big desire to commune with any of them in an afterlife.  I feel that imagined conversations with them are their own thing, and wouldn't want those conversations to be any more than a literary device.. This  doesn't mean I wouldn't miss these people, but ugh, not heaven.  

Maybe it's a neurotypical thing that I'm missing, being on the spectrum.   However, I'd reiterate that I'm a human with social relationships who values those relationships.  Just has no emotional connection to the idea of afterlife or heaven.

Wait until your husband and/or son die. That is all.  

And no, it actually has nothing to do with afterlife, really, because by then it's irrelevant. But, that's what people who believe in the afterlife fantasize about. I have heard that more often than I can shake a stick at.
It feels incredibly disrespectful to my experiences for you to respond in this way.  

Do you think i haven’t had extremely important people in my life, people who I miss, die?  I have, as I noted above.  

I would not denigrate your experiences or perceptions, but you are doing that to me.  It feels like the same thing that religious people do, in fact, not acknowledging that people can have divergent perceptions as well as reactions to loss.
god, ugh
The following 2 users Like julep's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, GenesisNemesis

Messages In This Thread
RE: Questions for new (to me) Christians on the forum - by julep - 05-23-2021, 10:19 PM