Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tithes to churches or Universal Health Care

I hooked him up with a rep point. Some more politically conservative or Christian members would make things more interesting.
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Aliza

(01-03-2021, 04:08 PM)Percie Wrote: Yeah, I'm done with this site.

This is good news for the site.  You've proved yourself to be nothing more
than a pompous, hypocritical, narcissistic waste of space.

You won't be missed matey.      Thumbsdown
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(12-05-2020, 08:57 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: According to this source, nonprofitssourse dot com, $50 billion is given as tithes to churches across the US every year.    

https://nonprofitssource.com/online-givi...f%2010%25.

Personally I think this money would be better spend if it supporting universal health care.  Also, taxing mega churches would certainly pay for some of the national healthcare.   I know I'm preaching to the choir here but jezuz, the money plunked into donation baskets across US churches is disgusting.   Funny how so many Christians, especially Evangelicals,  don't concern themselves too much with their tithes donations but get all hopped up about their taxes being used for a national health care system.   Kinda pisses me off.

The time to eliminate the tax exemption for churches is long overdue.
The following 4 users Like atheist 101's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Minimalist, Cavebear, brunumb

(01-03-2021, 02:00 PM)Percie Wrote: As already noted, there's very little difference in taxing and spending between the two parties, and government charity has increased steadily over the past 50 years regardless of which is in power.

You want to post the evidence for that ?
Or is it just hogwash assertion with no evidence ?
Test

(05-09-2021, 10:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(01-03-2021, 02:00 PM)Percie Wrote: As already noted, there's very little difference in taxing and spending between the two parties, and government charity has increased steadily over the past 50 years regardless of which is in power.

He bailed over four months ago, Buckminster ... you're talking into the void.
On hiatus.

(05-09-2021, 11:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(05-09-2021, 10:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:

He did bail, but he came back.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

(05-10-2021, 12:02 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(05-09-2021, 11:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(05-09-2021, 10:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: You want to post the evidence for that ?

He did bail, but he came back.

lol, guess he couldn't help himself.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, SYZ

Moth meet flame.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(05-10-2021, 12:13 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Moth meet flame.

I trip on people who revisit places they've rage-quit, or who adopt new aliases to get around a ban.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Cavebear

(05-10-2021, 03:48 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 12:13 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Moth meet flame.

I trip on people who revisit places they've rage-quit, or who adopt new aliases to get around a ban.

Aliases and avatars are funny. I've been "Cavebear" for 30 years now. I tried to make my car's license plate (only 7 characters allowed in my State) that but neither "caveber" or "cavbear" seemed quite right.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

(01-03-2021, 09:26 PM)Percie Wrote: No, it's also the reputation function. Apparently I'm not valued here. Just looking for a way to delete my account.

Apparently you couldn't figure out how to delete your account here?

Well, technically you cannot.

There's a simple answer for you of course:  simply STOP posting!

[Image: 58d0a8ed757d8eae3abe968b1415cdb2_grande....1614867842]

Tithe money funded Hillsong funds pastors’ luxury lifestyles say former cult members.

Tithing funds Hillsong pastors’ luxury lifestyles

The pastors at scandalized Hillsong Church were anything but humble servants. As the
Australian-based institution continues to come under fire for allegations of “slave labour”
and homophobia, ex-congregants and staff are now claiming that pastors used tithe money
to help fuel their decadent lifestyles.  Hillsong is part of the Neo-Charismatic Pentecostal
wing of evangelical Christianity.

Tithe money is by far the biggest funder of Hillsong, according to the church’s various
annual reports: Of the $12.7 million that Hillsong East Coast made in 2019, 88% of it
came from “tithes & offerings.” Over 66% of that revenue went to a combination of staff
salaries, benefits and expenses ($3.8 million) and operating expenses including venue
rentals, staffing and production costs ($4.9 million). And as a church, Hillsong is exempt
from paying income tax in the US and Australia.

The church's founder, and son of a New Zealand paedophile, Brian Houston, has a personal
wealth of A$12 million, and if you wanna be horrified by his devious cult that is Hillsong, read this:

Taxpayers support lavish Hillsong lifestyle.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • brunumb

(12-05-2020, 08:57 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: According to this source, nonprofitssourse dot com, $50 billion is given as tithes to churches across the US every year.    

Personally I think this money would be better spend if it supporting universal health care.  Also, taxing mega churches would certainly pay for some of the national healthcare.   I know I'm preaching to the choir here but jezuz, the money plunked into donation baskets across US churches is disgusting.   Funny how so many Christians, especially Evangelicals,  don't concern themselves too much with their tithes donations but get all hopped up about their taxes being used for a national health care system.   Kinda pisses me off.

Jesse Duplantis, who lives in a house assessed at $35,000,000, once bragged that he was the richest person in Louisiana.
The following 1 user Likes atheist 101's post:
  • Cavebear

(05-13-2021, 02:34 PM)atheist 101 Wrote:

Jesse Duplantis, who lives in a house assessed at $35,000,000, once bragged that he was the richest person in Louisiana.

Until all the theist preachers live in tent shelters and request only enough food for them to survive, I cannot respect any of their claims. Not that I would afterwards, but I would give them some respect for belief.

(12-05-2020, 08:57 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: According to this source, nonprofitssourse dot com, $50 billion is given as tithes to churches...

Is that a typo? BILLION???
WOW! That's incredibly charitable.
Imagine if people stopped going to Church and The State had to step in and foot the bill (raise taxes) for all those homeless shelters, soup kitchens, single mothers safe houses, drug rehab centres, orphanages, hospitals....

Quote:Personally I think this money would be better spend if it supporting universal health care. 

You mean like funding healthcare stuff for HIV positive & AIDS sufferers? Yep. I agree.
You know which NGO institution raises and gives the most money for AIDS victims?  Hollywood? Nope. Bill Gates? Nope. The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert? Nope. Woke SJW slacktivists on social media? Nope. Oprah? Nope.
#LGBTQ GLAD SSM activists? Nope.

In case you can't guess l'll tell you.
Show ContentSpoiler:

Quote:Also, taxing mega churches would certainly pay for some of the national healthcare.  

Um, excuse me. The money ppl put in the collection bowls each week has ALREADY BEEN TAXED.

Quote: I know I'm preaching to the choir here but jezuz, the money plunked into donation baskets across US churches is disgusting.   

I would love to see how you and your choir would squeal if I starting moralising (preaching) about how you choose to spend your after tax income. 

Wanna hear what 'my choir' thinks about money spent on gambling, drugs, prostitutes, abortions, hedonistic conspicuous consumption...?

(05-15-2021, 03:27 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 08:57 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: According to this source, nonprofitssourse dot com, $50 billion is given as tithes to churches...

Imagine if people stopped going to Church and The State had to step in and foot the bill (raise taxes) for all those homeless shelters, soup kitchens, single mothers safe houses, drug rehab centres, orphanages, hospitals....

Quote:Personally I think this money would be better spend if it supporting universal health care. 

You mean like funding healthcare stuff for HIV positive & AIDS sufferers? Yep. I agree.
You know which NGO institution raises and gives the most money for AIDS victims?  Hollywood? Nope. Bill Gates? Nope. The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert? Nope. Woke SJW slacktivists on social media? Nope. Oprah? Nope.

Show ContentSpoiler:

Quote:Also, taxing mega churches would certainly pay for some of the national healthcare.  

Um, excuse me. The money ppl put in the collection bowls each week has ALREADY BEEN TAXED.

Quote: I know I'm preaching to the choir here but jezuz, the money plunked into donation baskets across US churches is disgusting.   

I would love to see how you and your choir would squeal if I starting moralising (preaching) about how you choose to spend your after tax income. 

Wanna hear what 'my choir' thinks about money spent on gambling, drugs, prostitutes, abortions, hedonistic conspicuous consumption...?

Yes. Please feel free...

Show ContentSpoiler:

You're a typical gullible theist.  Most of that money never sees the poor.  It gets truned back into making  churches look big and impressive.   Joel Osteen is worth $100 million dollars.  Here's his fucking house.

[Image: Joel-Osteen-house.jpg]

He didn't buy that house flipping burgers or following the humble life of Jesus.  He bilked that money out of the pockets of people who live from paycheck to paycheck or who barely get through the month.

He is a disgusting, fucked up selfish asshole who should be taxed up the wahzoo.   And there's a long list of other preachers who live high off the hog from the money of people who can least afford it.  These preachers are hypocrites and scumbags.

Edit to add: And don't get me started on that bitch, Mother Teresa, and her death camps.
                                                         T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Szuchow, TheGentlemanBastard, brunumb, Thumpalumpacus

(05-15-2021, 06:05 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

Show ContentSpoiler:

You're a typical gullible theist.  Most of that money never sees the poor.  It gets truned back into making  churches look big and impressive.   Joel Osteen is worth $100 million dollars.  Here's his fucking house.

He didn't buy that house flipping burgers or following the humble life of Jesus.  He bilked that money out of the pockets of people who live from paycheck to paycheck or who barely get through the month.

He is a disgusting, fucked up selfish asshole who should be taxed up the wahzoo.   And there's a long list of other preachers who live high off the hog from the money of people who can least afford it.  These preachers are hypocrites and scumbags.

Edit to add:  And don't get me started on that bitch, Mother Teresa, and her death camps.

Judging from his comments. Lion doesn't know the difference between tithing and offerings, or that tithing goes to the church to pay the pastor/priest/shaman/guru/medicine man and maintain the grounds and buildings. If there's any left over, some of that might go into some charity. Usually, churches are just like their gawd. They can't handle money. They always need a little more. They need a new roof, or there's a plumbing issue, or maybe it's a new stained glass window to better glorify gawd, and they're passing the plate for more lover offerings to pay for shit that's supposed to be coming out of the tithes. Then we read the crazy shit pastors around the country ask their congregations to pay for... helicopter blade upgrade... $65 MILLION private jets... Oral Roberts, back in 1987, claiming gawd would kill him if he didn't fleece the sheep for $8 Million in ransom offerings above and beyond their normal tithes and offerings (he bilked 'em for $9 million), so that the fucking crook could give scholarships for his diploma mill university... Holy fucking Sunday Stickup, Batman!

Whatever money trickles down to the charities is but a tiny portion of the billions they rake in every fucking year. Even then, many of them require you "pay for the soup" by sitting in and listening to their religious fuck-nuttery. Charity with a string attached really isn't much of a charity.

He also understand absolutely fuck-all about how taxes work. [Image: Eye_Roll.gif]
The following 2 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus

[Image: 31PL9HDTjJL.jpg]
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 2 users Like trdsf's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Thumpalumpacus

Imagine if people stopped going to Church and The State had to step in and foot the bill (raise taxes) for all those homeless shelters, soup kitchens, single mothers safe houses, drug rehab centres, orphanages, hospitals...

Yes, that billion-dollar figure is accurate (as well as can be determined).  One of our mega-churches
here in Australia receives upwards of $1 million every month in tithes!  An issue is that far too much
of these tithes from the church's congregation ends up in the pockets of the pastors/clergy/priests,
often to the tune of millions of dollars a year.  Your claim about tithing supporting charitable causes
simply doesn't happen in Australia—most of it goes into the administrators' property investments,
luxury homes, ocean cruisers, and Ferraris or Rolls Royces.

Lion Wrote:You mean like funding healthcare stuff for HIV positive & AIDS sufferers? Yep. I agree.
#LGBTQ GLAD SSM activists? Nope. In case you can't guess l'll tell you. https://www.vaticannews.va/en.html

More misrepresentation.  As little as 10% of the $55 million donations by Roman Catholics that are specifically
advertised as helping the poor and suffering actually go toward charitable work, The Wall Street Journal
reported in December 2019.

Lion Wrote:The money ppl put in the collection bowls each week has ALREADY BEEN TAXED.

Not necessarily.  Lots of this money comes from franked investment dividends. IE the donor has paid NO tax.
And, even worse, the donor can also claim their donations to a charity (the church) as a tax credit!

At any rate, the income derived by churches is (disgustingly) non-taxed, which means churches avoid paying
their ethically due share of taxation into the government's consolidated revenue account—and which account
largely supports the nation's social security system.

Quote:I know I'm preaching to the choir here but jezuz, the money plunked into donation baskets across US churches is disgusting.
Lion Wrote:I would love to see how you and your choir would squeal if I starting moralising (preaching) about how you choose to spend your after tax income. Wanna hear what 'my choir' thinks about money spent on gambling, drugs, prostitutes, abortions, hedonistic conspicuous consumption...?

Unlike theists, we atheist have no collective "choir".  We exist purely as individuals, with no outdated, rigid
dogma; no places of worship; no book of "rules"; no preachers determining what we do or say etc.  At any
rate, this comment of yours is largely a straw man.

And it's the utmost of hypocrisy—typical of theists—to claim that theists seldom drink or gamble or pay for
sex, or have abortions.  In America, it's been estimated by—as of November 2019—'Bishop Accountability',
a website that tracks accusations, named 6,433 Catholic priests, brothers and school officials accused of abuse.
Additionally, 154 Archdioceses and Dioceses have released the names of more than 4,700 credibly accused
clerics. Maybe this is why Catholics seldom turn to prostitution—as you imply.

(05-15-2021, 06:05 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: You're a typical gullible theist.  Most of that money never sees the poor.  It gets turned back into making  churches look big and impressive.   Joel Osteen is worth $100 million dollars...

I wasn't that familiar with this bloke, Osteen, other than as a vague name, so I had to look him up.
Turns out he's a real, dyed-in-the-wool arsewipe; a total con-man and bullshit artist.  I just couldn't
believe that so many Americans are apparently sucked in by his type, but then I read that in 2016,
Osteen was a guest preacher at Australia's Hillsong Church, invited by its head preacher—and son
of NZ paedophile Frank Houston—Brian Houston, and his wife Bobbie.

The Hillsong conference attracts over 25,000 people every year, including Australia's prime minister
Scott Morrison, a zealous Pentecostal, who  says he practises the tradition of "laying on of hands" while
working, and who's been called upon to do God’s work.         Heaven help me!..... uh..... oh shit.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Dancefortwo, brunumb

(05-15-2021, 07:04 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(05-15-2021, 06:05 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

Show ContentSpoiler:

Edit to add:  And don't get me started on that bitch, Mother Teresa, and her death camps.

Judging from his comments. Lion doesn't know the difference between tithing and offerings, or that tithing goes to the church to pay the pastor/priest/shaman/guru/medicine man and maintain the grounds and buildings. If there's any left over, some of that might go into some charity. Usually, churches are just like their gawd. They can't handle money. They always need a little more. They need a new roof, or there's a plumbing issue, or maybe it's a new stained glass window to better glorify gawd, and they're passing the plate for more lover offerings to pay for shit that's supposed to be coming out of the tithes. Then we read the crazy shit pastors around the country ask their congregations to pay for... helicopter blade upgrade... $65 MILLION private jets... Oral Roberts, back in 1987, claiming gawd would kill him if he didn't fleece the sheep for $8 Million in ransom offerings above and beyond their normal tithes and offerings (he bilked 'em for $9 million), so that the fucking crook could give scholarships for his diploma mill university... Holy fucking Sunday Stickup, Batman!

Whatever money trickles down to the charities is but a tiny portion of the billions they rake in every fucking year. Even then, many of them require you "pay for the soup" by sitting in and listening to their religious fuck-nuttery. Charity with a string attached really isn't much of a charity.

He also understand absolutely fuck-all about how taxes work. [Image: Eye_Roll.gif]

I'd like to give you 500 "likes" but, alas, I can only give you one.

Preachers convince their flocks that they need the latest, greatest and biggest church.  Somehow the mega churches  preachers end up with mega mansions and $100,000 cars.   Gee, how does that happen?  I wonder. 

Why the hell does a humble servant of Jesus need an elaborately embroidred hat and a gold cross?   

[Image: 95d986844e046bb064ad8492dcdce265.jpg]

Or sleep in a four poster bed with real gold plated pillars?

[Image: press-preview-for-the-international-jour...?s=612x612]

And it happens to all religions.  Here's a Buddhist temple.  And many buddhists don't even believe in a god but here we have this monstrocity.  Who knows how much money has been poured into this building. 

[Image: 5kush8vk5dm51.jpg]

Jesus fucking christ, buddah and mohammad!
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Inkubus, TheGentlemanBastard

Which organization has done the most to promote the spread of AIDS in Africa? You guessed it!
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Inkubus, Dancefortwo

(05-15-2021, 02:54 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: [Image: 5kush8vk5dm51.jpg]

Jesus fucking christ, buddah and mohammad!

Jesus Christ that thing would frighten a police horse. You know how driving instructors constantly emphasize the need to concentrate on the road ahead, well that's a big ask in this case. I hope it's off the main road otherwise there will be lots of head-ons and rear enders.
The following 1 user Likes Inkubus's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(05-15-2021, 12:17 PM)SYZ Wrote: ...At any rate, the income derived by churches is (disgustingly) non-taxed, which means churches avoid paying
their ethically due share of taxation into the government's consolidated revenue account—and which account
largely supports the nation's social security system.

It's almost as if the church fathers never noticed what jeebus said about rendering unto Caesar, that which is Caesar's.
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • SYZ