Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damned Catholics

Damned Catholics
(06-03-2019, 04:18 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(06-03-2019, 01:08 AM)Minimalist Wrote: At least this drunken bastard didn't molest the kids the way the pervert priests do.

Quote:Catholic school principal arrested after refusing to pay tab at strip club...

I'm sure Jesus would approve.

Is it possible that Jesus was also a latent paedophile?    Would you (as a parent)
let a strange man, unknown to you, hug your children, and lay his hands on them?

People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. When
Jesus saw this, he was indignant, and said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the
kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little
child will never enter it." And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them.

—Mark 10:13-16

I'm somewhat concerned whenever I see images such as this too...

[Image: Pope_Francis_with_a_group_of_disabled_ch....jpg?w=760]

An old man wearing a dress hugging a 10-year-old girl in a fairly intimate fashion.    Dodgy
The "laying on of hands" had a very different and fully accepted cultural significance in that era. It was to convey alleged blessing or virtue and provide fatherly comfort. Was it used back then disingenuously? IDK. Maybe. Is it co-opted today by pedophiles? Doubtless. Does that make it inherently bad? Maybe. I think it's more fundamentally problematic from a paternalistic, learned-helplessness perspective. When you submit uncritically to authority, even for comfort, you are potentially going to be used in some way. If we reject such notions on that basis, anything sexually untoward takes care of itself. Power imbalances are power imbalances, sexual or not. There's NEVER a healthy relationship that involves unequal power between the participants.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • SYZ

Damned Catholics
As Jerry pointed out in Post #46 they are aided and abetted by fine xhristards.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/06/louisia...year-olds/

Quote:Louisiana Republicans reject setting minimum age for marriage — and cite ‘very mature’ 16 year olds

Conservative Republicans in Louisiana this week shot down legislation aimed at setting a minimum age requirement marriage in their state, as they argued that some 15 and 16 year olds should have the right to get married.

Yee-haw.... 'murrican Taliban in action!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • brunumb

Damned Catholics
"The U.S. Catholic Church spent $10.6 million on lobbyists to prevent victims of clerical sex abuse from suing for damages. According to a new report, the money was doled out from 2011 through 2018 in eight northeastern states where bills to reform statute of limitations laws were either in the works or being considered."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cat...x-n1013776

Damned Catholics
Quote:“I think it’s incredibly troubling that parishioners who on Sundays contributed to the church collections may have been inadvertently funding lobbying efforts against victims of sex abuse seeking legal redress,” New York State Sen. Brad Hoylman, who championed the Child Victims Act, said

Inadvertent?  The morons who still fill the pews are the enablers for the pervert priests.  They should know exactly what they are funding.
  • Fireball

Damned Catholics
The pious frauds simply can't stop it seems.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/06/catholi...eople-off/

Quote:A shocking report Wednesday revealed that the Catholic Church is using a secret fund of oil money in West Virginia to help pay off cardinals and young priests one bishop mistreated.

According to the Washington Post, Bishop Michael J. Bransfield wrote checks for more than a decade under his personal account, only to be reimbursed by the West Virginia diocese. The alleged hush money totaled $350,000, with one gift as large as $15,000.

Such scum.  Too bad the xhristards are every bit as bad.

Damned Catholics
The pious fucking perverts still do not get it.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/06/us-bish...reporting/

Quote:US bishops approve changes to Church law on sex abuse reporting

Quote:The Catholic Church in the United States, which has been rocked in recent years by child sex abuse scandals and investigations, on Thursday approved a papal document that requires clergy to report suspicions of sexual assault.

And WHO are they supposed to report to?

Quote:The “motu proprio” — a legal document issued under Pope Francis’s personal authority — declares that anyone who has knowledge of abuse, or suspects it, is “obliged to report (it) promptly” to the Church, using “easily accessible systems.”

The law only applies within the Church and has no force to oblige individuals to report abuse to civil authorities.

That's the problem scumbags.  You've been covering up for far too long.  This accomplishes NOTHING.
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • brunumb, Unsapien

Damned Catholics
And a whole new nest of pervert priests uncovered!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...O9nEihSf1r

Quote:2 Catholic orders name 65 priests accused or convicted of abuse; 27 served in Arizona

Damned Catholics
Hmmm.... so why did the church single this guy out?

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-...story.html

Quote:NYC priest, beloved by gay community, forced into retirement amid allegation of sexual misconduct

Oh.

Quote:The Rev. John Duffell, who for years has bucked the Catholic Church’s stance on homosexuality,

Just like with the Inquisition, the fucks use the civil authorities to punish heretics.... when they want to.

Damned Catholics
And they are still at it.  Apparently it is a race to the pervert bottom with the baptists!

https://www.theoaklandpress.com/news/cop...45fad.html

Quote:Waterford church pastor charged with sex crimes involving child

The pastor of a Catholic church in Waterford Township has been charged with criminal sexual conduct involving a child — the sixth priest facing sexual abuse charges as part of an ongoing investigation by the state’s attorney general’s office.

Father Joseph (Jack) Baker, pastor of St. Perpetua Parish in Waterford since 2008, was arrested Monday morning in Wayne County by special agents from the attorney general’s office and was scheduled for arraignment in 29th District Court in Wayne.

Quote:“This is just the tip of the iceberg,” Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel stated in a news release. “Our clergy abuse investigative team is working day and night to review the hundreds of thousands of pages of documents and files seized from all seven of Michigan’s dioceses last fall. At the same time, we continue to receive calls daily from victims who know we will listen to them, believe in them, and investigate their allegations. They deserve nothing less than our very best.”
  • mordant

Damned Catholics
And of course Poland has to get in on the act.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49025423

Quote:Polish abuse scandal: Victims take on the Catholic Church

Marek Mielewczyk was a 13-year-old altar boy when a priest asked him to come to his presbytery.
"This is where I was abused for the first time," he says.
He is one of several victims, now adults, featured in a documentary about Polish priests who sexually abused children.
, was watched 20 million times in the first week of its digital release – and prompted an unprecedented challenge to Poland's Roman Catholic Church.
More than 90% of Poles identity themselves as Catholics. For many, the Church and its rituals do not just provide spiritual comfort: they are part of a national identity.

AS always, whenever religious fucktards have too much power the innocent suffer!
  • Gwaithmir

Damned Catholics
Argentina.

Let's remember there are other scumbags in the world aside from gun-toting nazis.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/08/everyth...speak-out/

Quote:‘Everything in the church is fake’: Deaf victims of Argentina’s pedophile priests speak out

Ezequiel Villalonga spent most of his life at the Provolo Institute in Mendoza, a Catholic school for deaf children. But now the 18-year-old, who is deaf and mute, has lost all faith in the Church.
He and his classmates claim they are victims of the pedophile priests who ran the institution, part of a sweeping scandal that has shaken Argentina, Pope Francis’s home country.
“I think that everything in the Church is fake. Everything they made us read, recite, the way (they said) people should live,” he said in sign language, just before the start of the priests’ trial on Monday.

Indeed.

Damned Catholics
Hmmm.... I guess this is a catholick celebrity!

https://www.tmz.com/2019/08/16/the-exorc...e-lawsuit/

Quote: 'The Exorcist' Priest Accused of Sexually Abusing Student

Quote:The real-life priest who starred in "The Exorcist" is now accused of repeatedly sexually abusing one of his students at a Jesuit High School in upstate NY.

Father William J. O'Malley played Father Dyer in the 1973 classic horror flick, but before and after his Hollywood success ... he taught at McQuaid Jesuit High in Rochester. One of his students just named O'Malley in a massive lawsuit filed this week against multiple defendants.

According to docs, obtained by TMZ, O'Malley allegedly sexually abused a then 17-year-old student "multiple times" in '85 and '86. His accuser claims the abuse took place in a classroom, in school hallways and also at school-sponsored events.

"I was driving the demons out of his asshole....."

Damned Catholics
About time!

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/n...story.html

Quote:Former priest who fled the country in 92 for fear of being ‘outed as a serious pedophile’ sentenced to 30 years for molesting altar boy

Quote:An infamous fugitive priest accused of sexually molesting an 11-year-old altar boy on two separate occasions in New Mexico in the early 1990s has been sentenced to 30 years in federal prison.

Arthur Perrault, a former Roman Catholic priest who was once a pastor at an Albuquerque parish and a chaplain at Kirtland Air Force Base, was sentenced Friday by U.S. District Judge Martha Vazquez, who slammed the disgraced priest for his selfish actions.

I do think the judge got this part wrong.

Quote:“You chose as a profession the life of being a priest. It was supposed to be your job to help, not destroy,” she said according to the Associated Press, adding that Perrault’s was the worst child sex abuse case she had handled over the course of 26 years, she said.

I imagine he chose the profession so he could prey not pray.
  • Gwaithmir

Damned Catholics
With Trump and his fucking kids around it is hard to remember that there are other scumbags in this country.  Hard, but necessary.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/i...345778001/

Quote:The Catholic Church and Boy Scouts are lobbying against child abuse statutes. This is their playbook

Quote:Pennsylvania state Rep. Tom Murt slid into a pew at his childhood church, seeking a break from politics and the stress of work. 
Instead, Murt got an earful.
In his sermon, the priest talked about a bill pending in the state Legislature that would give survivors of child sexual abuse more time to sue their abusers – and the institutions that hid abuse. 
The Catholic Church was being mistreated, the priest said. Legislators were being particularly harsh toward the church while leaving public school teachers who commit crimes off the hook. 
Then the priest singled out Murt. 
Tom Murt, the priest said, wasn’t defending the church in its time of need. In fact, the Republican and lifelong Catholic was supporting the legislation.

And apparently we can toss the fucking Boy Scouts in for good measure.

Damned Catholics
(10-13-2019, 07:07 PM)Minimalist Wrote: With Trump and his fucking kids around it is hard to remember that there are other scumbags in this country.  Hard, but necessary.

Quote:The Catholic Church and Boy Scouts are lobbying against child abuse statutes. This is their playbook

Quote:Pennsylvania state Rep. Tom Murt slid into a pew at his childhood church, seeking a break from politics and the stress of work. 
In his sermon, the priest talked about a bill pending in the state Legislature that would give survivors of child sexual abuse more time to sue their abusers – and the institutions that hid abuse. 
The Catholic Church was being mistreated, the priest said. Legislators were being particularly harsh toward the church while leaving public school teachers who commit crimes off the hook. 
Tom Murt, the priest said, wasn’t defending the church in its time of need. In fact, the Republican and lifelong Catholic was supporting the legislation.

(bold is mine)
These are the same people who believe they're entitled to tax exempt status. Because, ya know, separation of church and state. 

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • Chas

Damned Catholics
And today we learn this:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50045101

Quote:Head of Vatican police resigns over 'highly damaging' memo leak

Quote:On 1 October, Vatican police raided the offices of the Holy See's Secretariat of State and its Financial Information Authority (AIF).
The raid was attempting to find evidence for suspected financial wrongdoing.
According to The Financial Times, the investigation centred on $200m (£160m; €180m) in Swiss bank accounts controlled by the Vatican which had been used to finance a luxury property development in the London district of Chelsea, and which had resulted in huge profit for the original seller.
The Holy See's Secretariat of State is in control of millions of dollars donated by Catholics across the world.

Luxury property developments, huh?  I'm sure that's what those idiot catholicks thought they were donating to!
  • Gwaithmir

Damned Catholics
It's been a long time since I donated- more than 20 years.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Damned Catholics
You'd be better off taking your money and burning it rather than give it to those fucks.

Damned Catholics
(10-13-2019, 07:52 PM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(10-13-2019, 07:07 PM)Minimalist Wrote: With Trump and his fucking kids around it is hard to remember that there are other scumbags in this country.  Hard, but necessary.

(bold is mine)
These are the same people who believe they're entitled to tax exempt status. Because, ya know, separation of church and state. 

-Teresa

In the late 60's I bough a poster with  the cartoon of a scout leader and the caption "Baden Powell liked little boys" I bought it to piss off my girlfriend's brother, a Queen's Scout  (US Eagle Scout). I didn't realise it was true. 

Even at about age 11, I was  suspicious of grown men who wore shorts and a woggle* and went camping with small boys.

*a woggle is that object through which scouts pass their scarf. It closely resembles a hand woven turd.
The following 2 users Like grympy's post:
  • Minimalist, Tres Leches

Damned Catholics
(10-14-2019, 09:35 PM)grympy Wrote:
(10-13-2019, 07:52 PM)Tres Leches Wrote:

(bold is mine)

-Teresa

In the late 60's I bough a poster with  the cartoon of a scout leader and the caption "Baden Powell liked little boys" I bought it to piss off my girlfriend's brother, a Queen's Scout  (US Eagle Scout). I didn't realise it was true. 

Even at about age 11, I was  suspicious of grown men who wore shorts and a woggle* and went camping with small boys.

I'm always amazed when people say "when I was 11, I was suspicious of..." or "when I was 8, I realized the bible was a big fat lie". 

I didn't question institutions until I was quite a bit older and was exposed to more of the outside world. 

Guess that shows how insular my upbringing was. No questioning was allowed, especially not by kids.

Nowadays I've gone the other way and I know very few people in real life who question everything and everyone.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Damned Catholics
(10-15-2019, 01:52 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(10-14-2019, 09:35 PM)grympy Wrote:
(10-13-2019, 07:52 PM)Tres Leches Wrote: (bold is mine)

-Teresa

I didn't question institutions until I was quite a bit older and was exposed to more of the outside world. 

Guess that shows how insular my upbringing was. No questioning was allowed, especially not by kids.

Nowadays I've gone the other way and I know very few people in real life who question everything and everyone.

-Teresa

I think one thing which may have made me distrustful of adults was being beaten at school, often. Over a period of seven years. .  Not because I was say disruptive or insolent, I was not. The De La Salle brothers who taught me (if you'll excuse the expression)  were incompetent, using the strap as their main teacher's aide. A couple of them were definitely sadists .

Fair dinkum , I think that had I also been sexually abused I may have killed myself.
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Tres Leches

Damned Catholics
T.L., I was asked to not come back to Sunday School when I was seven, I was asking awkward questions and refused to accept the easy answers.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Damned Catholics
Oh, the "poor" Catholic Church!  Chuckle
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Tres Leches

Damned Catholics
(06-03-2019, 04:51 PM)Minimalist Wrote: As Jerry pointed out in Post #46 they are aided and abetted by fine xhristards.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/06/louisia...year-olds/

Quote:Louisiana Republicans reject setting minimum age for marriage — and cite ‘very mature’ 16 year olds

Conservative Republicans in Louisiana this week shot down legislation aimed at setting a minimum age requirement marriage in their state, as they argued that some 15 and 16 year olds should have the right to get married.

Yee-haw.... 'murrican Taliban in action!

Until the early twentieth century, the age of marriage was 12.

It was common with royalty and the aristocracy to marry off their kids as young on as 8.  However, the children went home with their parents after the ceremony, and remained  until puberty. 

There is one  well known state where the age of consent is still 12. Have wild guess at which one.

For centuries, all that was required for a marriage to take place and be recognised in the community was couple to agree to be married.  No ceremony and no witnesses required .

The nature of marriage changed  between royalty, the aristocracy and later the  bourgeois.  It stopped being simply a social contract and became about  power (royalty/aristocracy)  and inheritance .THEN it became formalised, and THEN the Church stuck its oar in, and a bang up job they've done too. 

However, society grew, from pre industrial agrarian, living mainly  in small villages, to  industrial, living more in cities, with a large middle  class, with property. Formalised marriage remained relatively  unimportant to the working classes  I  think until the end of the nineteenth century. 

Today  there is a common view that girls of 14,15,16,17 even 18 are physically too young to bear children. It is also widely believed that children are not fully mature until the age of 25. So, mid 20's is a good time to marry (?) 

There may be a trend to marry later, but it's still common for people to form defacto marriages from late teens and early 20's, and common for women to have children from anytime from around 16 onwards .

Seems that  hormones and instinct will always trump law. 

I started having "serious " girlfriends whenI was 24. By serious I mean with a mutual understanding that the strongly sexual friendship MIGHT lead to marriage.  I finally got married at age 31.  Lots of reasons, but the most important reason was that most of the young women I met wanted to get married, work for  a few years, then  have  a minimum of 2 children  then work for wages only casually after that.

I did not want children and wanted both to have a career, not just a job. . I hoped a marriage without conflict over money and children might have a good chance of surviving . How naive was I.

Damned Catholics
Matrimony as a sacrament was not mentioned by the fucking church until the Council of Verona in 1184.  Their reason for doing so was that the Cathars were then flourishing and denouncing marriage.  Anything the Cathars like the church had to oppose and vice versa.

After that I suppose they figured out they could make money off of it and it was off to the races!
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • grympy, Fireball, Gwaithmir