Atheist Discussion
Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? - Printable Version

+- Atheist Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Coffee House (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=104)
+--- Forum: Off-topic (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=95)
+--- Thread: Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? (/showthread.php?tid=6288)

Pages: 1 2

Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? - Sanfeng - 01-21-2021

Hey guys, I was wondering if you know of any forums where we can talk about traditional Chinese medicine. I am looking for a community in this field. 

Thanks

RE: Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? - Dom - 01-21-2021

(01-21-2021, 09:28 AM)Sanfeng Wrote: Hey guys, I was wondering if you know of any forums where we can talk about traditional Chinese medicine. I am looking for a community in this field. 

Thanks

You can start a thread here. and if there is enough interest, you have a community.

I don't know that there will be enough interest, but it can't hurt to start a conversation.

You will encounter people who will argue it's woo, it depends on your personality whether you can stand up to that with proof to the contrary. 

It always helps to get to know the people here on a personal level first.

RE: Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? - Dancefortwo - 01-21-2021

Generally speaking traditional Chinese Medicine is nonsense.   Some of the concoctions are just herbs which may have a mild effect on the body but not in any substantial way. They also used ridiculous crap from animals that are endangered.  Some of it is based on "chi" which are claimed to be magical paths inside the human body but which have never been found to actually exist.  The medicines are supposed to travel through these magical paths and open them up to relieve symptoms.   Dodgy

When Nixon opened up trade with China back in the 1970's Chinese "medicine" became all the rage but in reality the top echelon of the Chinese government always used Western medicines because it works.  They left the herbal concotions to the lower class and peasantry.  One of Nixon's aides had to have an emergency appendectomy during Nixon's first visit there and it was claimed that he only had to have acupuncture instead of traditional Western anesthesia to knock him out during the operation.   This was a big lie by the Chinese government.  The aide was given several shots of a local anesthetic plus some acupuncture but it was the western anesthetic that numbed the pain not the acupuncture.

Also interesting, acupuncture is not an ancient practice.   I can't remember where I read it but a historian did some serious research into the subject and found that the oldest use of acupuncture was around 300 years ago and that was a case of lancing a boil with a needle, something most cultures have done for thousands of years.    The Chinese keep incredible records of just about everything but acupuncture was found to be not that old.   As a side note, yoga from India is only about 200 years old.  

The West always seems to think that exoctic places like China and India have some ancient mysterious, magical medications that we stupid Westerners just don't know anything about and if only we open our minds and see that Evil Big Pharma is the source of most of our problems our health would improve.  Well, if the ancient Chinese and other exotic places had such great medicines why did people die like flies from plagues, simple infections and all sorts of dieseses for thousands of years.

RE: Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? - Gawdzilla Sama - 01-21-2021

I think killing a four thousand pound rhino for a pound of ground rhino horn is a great idea.

RE: Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? - Aroura - 01-21-2021

(01-21-2021, 09:45 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I think killing a four thousand pound rhino for a pound of ground rhino horn is a great idea.

Or killing a tiger for it's bones.  Or cutting the top fin off a shark and then tossing the still alive, but slowly bleeding to death animal back into the water.

Oh, and let's not forget Pangolins.  The animals that possibly started the current pandemic because humans have hunted them to near extinction, mostly for their uses in Chinese Medicine.

Yep, fantastic ideas.  It's really working out for the animals AND the humans!

RE: Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? - Bucky Ball - 01-21-2021

Were you thinking of *topical* Chinese medicines ?

(01-21-2021, 10:32 PM)Aroura Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 09:45 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I think killing a four thousand pound rhino for a pound of ground rhino horn is a great idea.

Or killing a tiger for it's bones.  Or taking a shark fin off a shark and then tossing the still alive, but but slowly bleeding to death animal back into the water.

Oh, and let's not forget Pangolins.  The animals that possibly started the current pandemic because humans have hunted them to near extinction, mostly for their uses in Chinese Medicine.

Tiger bones. It's awful.   It's all a load of superstitiion.  

I also have a problem with some of the "essential oil" fad.   It's so natural.  Because, you know, there's nothing more natural than using 10,000 pounds of rose blossoms to make 1/2 ounce of rose oil.

RE: Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? - Dom - 01-21-2021

I don't knock herbs, some do have nice medicinal value, actually, many of our own meds are based on vegetation and facsimiles thereof.

Most people use some sort of eucalyptus or mint extract to unstuff a stuffy nose, as a well known example. You find it in many cold meds. 

Here is a short list of some western meds based on plants:

Drugs and Medicine Made From Plants (thoughtco.com)

RE: Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? - Gawdzilla Sama - 01-21-2021

(01-21-2021, 09:28 AM)Sanfeng Wrote: Hey guys, I was wondering if you know of any forums where we can talk about traditional Chinese medicine. I am looking for a community in this field. 

Thanks
You don't by any chance sell traditional Chinese medicines?

(01-21-2021, 10:57 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 10:32 PM)Aroura Wrote:

Or killing a tiger for it's bones.  Or taking a shark fin off a shark and then tossing the still alive, but but slowly bleeding to death animal back into the water.

Tiger bones. It's awful.   It's all a load of superstitiion.  

I also have a problem with some of the "essential oil" fad.   It's so natural.  Because, you know, there's nothing more natural than using 10,000 pounds of rose blossoms to make 1/2 ounce of rose oil.

They don't do shit for medicine, but they do make nice air fresheners. Smile
I make my own from lavender I grow myself (or harvest from my mother-in-law's garden).  It's not hard. It's not true essential oil, I forget what the condensed wwater/oil mixture is called, but I like it as a room spray.  I hate buying fake stuff in plastic bottles.  I also save the peels from any citrus we eat.  Peel it and you can get some nice oils from the skins for both cleaning and scents.  Or put it in your tea for a zingy flavor!

Room freshener isn't a necessity of course, but we have two cats so it kinda is.  ROFL2

(01-21-2021, 11:00 PM)Dom Wrote: I don't knock herbs, some do have nice medicinal value, actually, many of our own meds are based on vegetation and facsimiles thereof.

Most people use some sort of eucalyptus or mint extract to unstuff a stuffy nose, as a well known example. You find it in many cold meds. 

Oh sure, there are definitely herbs that do help.   Nod   I take a couple myself but I draw the line at rhino horn dust and endangered animals.  Some of the essential oil craze uses endangered plants.  I think one of them is sandlewood.

(01-21-2021, 11:00 PM)Dom Wrote: I don't knock herbs, some do have nice medicinal value, actually, many of our own meds are based on vegetation and facsimiles thereof.

Absolutely.  And much of our medicine is actually plant based.  Aspirin, penicillin, and morphine are some big ones that saved millions/billions of lives.  But even things like witch hazel work great for smaller ailments like hemorrhoids. Or Tea Tree oil, seems to have some legit uses. I make a detangler spray for my kids hair out of those two things, because she gets super oily hair with store bought conditioners.

I just don't condone killing an animal to eat it's penis for virility, or other such harmful nonsense.

(01-21-2021, 11:13 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

Oh sure, there are definitely herbs that do help.   Nod   I take a couple myself but I draw the line at rhino horn dust and endangered animals.  Some of the essential oil craze uses endangered plants.  I think one of them is sandlewood.
Wow, I didn't know sandlewood was endangered!  I looked it up and indeed it is listed as vulnerable.

It's so hard to keep up with what is environmentally safe to buy/use.  Sometimes I don't even realize something might be a problem.  

Good god:
https://www.earthisland.org/journal/index.php/articles/entry/the_environmental_impact_of_essential_oils/
Yeah, educate myself!

honestly, I try and buy local as much as I can, and it seems like anytime I don't, it turns out to be a problem.

RE: Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? - Thumpalumpacus - 01-21-2021

I can't direct you to forums which center on superstition, sorry. My BS detector steers me away from those places, not towards them.

RE: Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? - Minimalist - 01-21-2021

We had one vet that our dog rescue used who was punishing Chinese meds for dogs.

We don't use her any more. 

She was a big fan of acupuncture.  Since I oversee the vet team I paid particular attention to dogs she tried to treat with acupuncture.  The dogs can't read the woo-woo stuff so the owners will swear that it works...particularly if they have been conned themselves... but the dogs do better on Rimadyl or Carprofen.

(01-21-2021, 11:44 PM)Minimalist Wrote: We had one vet that our dog rescue used who was punishing Chinese meds for dogs.

She was a big fan of acupuncture.  Since I oversee the vet team I paid particular attention to dogs she tried to treat with acupuncture.  The dogs can't read the woo-woo stuff so the owners will swear that it works...particularly if they have been conned themselves... but the dogs do better on Rimadyl or Carprofen.

There was a double blind study in which dogs were either given a placebo pill or actual medicine and then the owners were asked how they thought the dogs were doing.  The people who had the dogs who were given the placebo pills saw improvement in their pets. People see what they want to see.

RE: Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? - Gawdzilla Sama - 01-22-2021

(01-21-2021, 11:44 PM)Minimalist Wrote: We had one vet that our dog rescue used who was punishing Chinese meds for dogs.

The folks at a certain North Carolina Zoo have approved acupuncture for elephant. FFS

RE: Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? - Bucky Ball - 01-22-2021

Why all this cynecism ?
I know for a fact that the Sedona Vortex at Cathedral Rock can cure your toenail fungus.
Feel the energy. Angel

RE: Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? - Minimalist - 01-22-2021

(01-22-2021, 12:15 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

The folks at a certain North Carolina Zoo have approved acupuncture for elephant. FFS

Don't you wish the the elephant could stick a tusk up ther asses?

RE: Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? - Inkubus - 01-22-2021

Thanks

[Image: a5Ff-Spsdz0uBTD0o79yKJIg96jecJz2DZPASUXK...4p_UY8DCiQ]

RE: Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? - Gawdzilla Sama - 01-22-2021

(01-22-2021, 03:27 AM)Minimalist Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 12:15 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

Don't you wish the the elephant could stick a tusk up ther asses?

C'zar is thirteen THOUSAND pounds. That's SIX AND A HALF TONS. (Don't know what that is in centigrade.) That's one mother big elephant. I'd be rooting for him in a fight with those witchdoctors.

RE: Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? - Aroura - 01-22-2021

This reminds me, when we lived in germany, we discovered they East Germans at least) are big believers in homeopathy. IT's even covered for minor things in their health insurance!
A vet offered us some homeopathic medicine for our sick cat.
A friend offered us some for our daughter who has migraines.
When I had an ultrasound of my thyroid, the doctor also wanted to send me home with some that supposedly helped reduce thyroid nodules.

It's just water, ffs. Magic water. Well, at least they aren't causing animals to go extinct, I guess.

RE: Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? - SYZ - 01-22-2021

Traditional Chinese medicine is around 2,200 years old, which explains why it's
so outmoded and relies on a total lack of scientific support. In 1578 Li Shizhen
published his famous "Bencao Gangmu" (Compendium of Materia Medica), which
lists 1,892 drugs and some 11,000 formal prescriptions for specific ailments. This
collection of myth and magic is still highly regarded by modern TCM practitioners.

For example, the most commonly used Chinese herb for menstrual disorders,
Radix Angelicae sinensis, showed neither oestrogenic nor progesteronic activity
in laboratory and clinical studies, so is clinically useless.

Acupuncture, chiropracty, and homeopathy are still commonly practised as "legitimate"
therapies today, but with no scientific evidence supporting their methodology.

The Skeptic's Dictionary debunks the TCM "industry" HERE.

RE: Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? - adey67 - 01-22-2021

Powdered tiger bones and rhino horn???........ Nah, count me out.

RE: Forum about Trational Chinese Medicine? - Thumpalumpacus - 01-22-2021

(01-22-2021, 12:15 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The folks at a certain North Carolina Zoo have approved acupuncture for elephant. FFS

What'd they use, a goddamned jousting lance?!

(01-22-2021, 05:43 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: C'zar is thirteen THOUSAND pounds. That's SIX AND A HALF TONS. (Don't know what that is in centigrade.) That's one mother big elephant. I'd be rooting for him in a fight with those witchdoctors.

As a friend of mine used to say a long time ago, "There's no fixing what elephants do."