Atheist Discussion

Full Version: I Have Driven on Flatbush Ave in Brooklyn...They Aren't Exaggerating
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/18/cars/tesl...index.html

Quote:We tried Tesla's 'full self-driving.' Here's what happened

Washington, DC (CNN)When a dozen small children crossed in front of our Tesla with "full self-driving," I had good reason to be nervous.

I'd spent my morning so far in the backseat of the Model 3 using "full self-driving," the system that Tesla says will change the world by enabling safe and reliable autonomous vehicles. I'd watched the software nearly crash into a construction site, try to turn into a stopped truck and attempt to drive down the wrong side of the road. Angry drivers blared their horns as the system hesitated, sometimes right in the middle of an intersection.

Quote:Jason Tallman, a Tesla owner who documents his "full self-driving" trips on YouTube, offered to let me experience it first-hand.
We asked Jason to meet us on Brooklyn's Flatbush Avenue. It's an urban artery that funnels thousands of cars, trucks, cyclists and pedestrians into Manhattan. For even experienced human drivers, it can be a challenge.

City driving is chaotic, with vehicles running red lights and pedestrians on nearly every block. It's a far cry from the suburban neighborhoods and predictable highways around Tesla's California offices, or the broad streets of Arizona, where Alphabet's Waymo operates fully autonomous vehicles.

OTOH, a self-driving car probably won't react to shouted "Fuck you, asshole" cries from other motorists/pedestrians.

But this sounds as if it is a long way from prime time.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Pure Brooklyn!
Flatbush and Atlantic Ave intersection.

[Image: .resized_510x324_20080227_0289.JPG]
(11-18-2021, 09:22 PM)Minimalist Wrote: [ -> ]Flatbush and Atlantic Ave intersection.

Looks like typical traffic. The ones on the move do have the green light.
GIGO.
(11-18-2021, 09:22 PM)Minimalist Wrote: [ -> ]Flatbush and Atlantic Ave intersection.

I've seen worse.
(11-18-2021, 10:19 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: [ -> ]

I've seen worse.
Catania, Provincia Catania, Sicilia, Italia, Euromadness, for example.
(11-18-2021, 10:17 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: [ -> ]GIGO.

GIGO?

Oh, Jezuzchrist, now I have to look up another one of your shortcut thingys.  Chuckle
(11-18-2021, 10:55 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: [ -> ]

I've seen worse.

Boston and Brooklyn are the two worst cities I've ever driven in.

Then again, walking in Rome was no picnic either.

I've seen worse.

... Riyadh, Torremolinos, the Sepulveda Pass ...
(11-18-2021, 11:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-18-2021, 10:19 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen worse.

... Riyadh, Torremolinos, the Sepulveda Pass ...

I've driven literally thousands of times through the Sepulveda Pass northbound in rush hour traffic. 25 years worth. That's one bit of driving I will never miss.
(11-18-2021, 10:55 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen worse.

It once took me and three other unfortunates four hours to drive five miles.

[Image: TRAFFIC-GRIDLOCK2.jpg]

Sober when we departed but pissed out of our gourds on arrival courtesy of the street vendors selling this shit:

[Image: star-bottle-test.png]
(11-18-2021, 08:55 PM)Minimalist Wrote: [ -> ]But this sounds as if it is a long way from prime time.
Elon Musk is simultaneously a brilliant engineer and leader and a bullshit artist and sociopath. And you never know which you're going to get. It makes sense that this feature is brilliant and market-leading and unstable.

I had a doctor appointment today and parked my humble Hyundai Ioniq next to a Tesla Model S under the mistaken notion that there was a public charging station in that parking lot. Alas, it was a private Tesla fast charger. I asked about it in the doctor's office and they said it belonged to one of the lawyers next door. "He has three Teslas -- a red one, a black one, and a blue one. He drives a different color each day," said the nurse with obvious disdain.

Tesla fanboys can be like that. I noted the law firm's name, in case I even need a lawyer -- it won't be that asshole.
Elon Musk is in no way a brilliant engineer.
(11-19-2021, 03:45 AM)Inkubus Wrote: [ -> ]Elon Musk is in no way a brilliant engineer.

He's an ace at riding on the shoulders of giants, got to give him that.
(11-19-2021, 12:25 AM)Fireball Wrote: [ -> ]I've driven literally thousands of times through the Sepulveda Pass northbound in rush hour traffic. 25 years worth. That's one bit of driving I will never miss.

Don't you know it? It's like a dentist's chair moving at three miles per hour.

I'm not qualified to rate Musk as an engineer, but as a person, he's crap.
(11-19-2021, 04:37 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2021, 12:25 AM)Fireball Wrote: [ -> ]I've driven literally thousands of times through the Sepulveda Pass northbound in rush hour traffic. 25 years worth. That's one bit of driving I will never miss.

Don't you know it? It's like a dentist's chair moving at three miles per hour.

I'm not qualified to rate Musk as an engineer, but as a person, he's crap.

Yup.
I pissed in a ziploc while trying to clear the Sepulveda Pass one day. Good thing #2 wasn't that urgent.
(11-18-2021, 08:55 PM)Minimalist Wrote: [ -> ]OTOH, a self-driving car probably won't react to shouted "Fuck you, asshole" cries from other motorists/pedestrians...

Imagine if you will a thousand or more of these Teslas "driving" along Flatbush Avenue at
the same time in peak hour.    Instant carnage, courtesy Elon Musk.

Mature male Musk deers produces musk, which is stored in a hairy pouch just the size of
a golf ball, in front of the penis, and was thought to resemble a scrotum. At full strength
the scent is nauseating to most people.

—How appropriate for the man LOL.
On the plus side of that, SYZ, is the simple fact that no one can go very fast on Flatbush Avenue during rush hour.

Lots of fender benders but little "carnage!"

I wonder what the cost to replace a fender on a Tesla might be?
When I lived in Los Angeles I drove over the Sepulveda Pass many times.  It's not fun.  I think the worst driving experience in LA was when I was about 7 months pregnant and I got stuck on the 405, though not in the Sepulveda Pass area.  There was a huge semi truck crash involving several cars and traffic was at a standstill.  I couldn't get off the freeway because I was between off ramps and so I just sat there.  When a woman is pregnant sometime hunger hits very quickly and suddenly I was famished but I had nothing in the car to eat.  I laid down to try and save energy.  I started to become faint but I think it was mostly out of fear and panic.  Eventually the traffic inched along and I got to an exit ramp and found the nearest convenience store and bought something to eat.   I hated LA traffic.  I hated Los Angeles just on general principle.  What a miserable place to live.
(11-19-2021, 04:26 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: [ -> ]When I lived in Los Angeles I drove over the Sepulveda Pass many times.  It's not fun.  I think the worst driving experience in LA was when I was about 7 months pregnant and I got stuck on the 405, though not in the Sepulveda Pass area.  There was a huge semi truck crash involving several cars and traffic was at a standstill.  I couldn't get off the freeway because I was between off ramps and so I just sat there.  When a woman is pregnant sometime hunger hits very quickly and suddenly I was famished but I had nothing in the car to eat.  I laid down to try and save energy.  I started to become faint but I think it was mostly out of fear and panic.  Eventually the traffic inched along and I got to an exit ramp and found the nearest convenience store and bought something to eat.   I hated LA traffic.  I hated Los Angeles just on general principle.  What a miserable place to live.

Preach it, sista. To paraphrase Sherman, or was it Sheridan, I forget: "If I owned Hell and Los Angeles, I'd live in Hell and rent LA out."
I love big cities, but for some reason, LA has never appealed to me. NYC, Osaka, Shanghai, Sao Paulo, Pyongyang, Mumbai, Jerusalem, give me a ticket and I'll be packed and ready. But LA? Once was enough.
(11-19-2021, 04:47 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2021, 04:26 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: [ -> ]When I lived in Los Angeles I drove over the Sepulveda Pass many times.  It's not fun.  I think the worst driving experience in LA was when I was about 7 months pregnant and I got stuck on the 405, though not in the Sepulveda Pass area.  There was a huge semi truck crash involving several cars and traffic was at a standstill.  I couldn't get off the freeway because I was between off ramps and so I just sat there.  When a woman is pregnant sometime hunger hits very quickly and suddenly I was famished but I had nothing in the car to eat.  I laid down to try and save energy.  I started to become faint but I think it was mostly out of fear and panic.  Eventually the traffic inched along and I got to an exit ramp and found the nearest convenience store and bought something to eat.   I hated LA traffic.  I hated Los Angeles just on general principle.  What a miserable place to live.

Preach it, sista. To paraphrase Sherman, or was it Sheridan, I forget: "If I owned Hell and Los Angeles, I'd live in Hell and rent LA out."

Probably Boston, given the era.  Tongue
Pages: 1 2