Atheist Discussion

Full Version: My little project
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am working on a new novel. I will post the first chapter to get your opinion. Would you read past the first chapter?

Show ContentSpoiler:

Also, any criticisms are welcome.

The novel can be found here:
https://www.wattpad.com/984748329-of-the...hapter-one

I've already written a few chapters and I am rather proud of what I have written. To be honest, I have felt I have not written anything this good in a long time. Feel free to follow along as I slowly progress and publish new chapters.
(11-25-2020, 01:51 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: [ -> ]I am working on a new novel. I will post the first chapter to get your opinion. Would you read past the first chapter?

Show ContentSpoiler:

Also, any criticisms are welcome.

The novel can be found here:
https://www.wattpad.com/984748329-of-the...hapter-one

I've already written a few chapters and I am rather proud of what I have written. To be honest, I have felt I have not written anything this good in a long time. Feel free to follow along as I slowly progress and publish new chapters.

No. I'm not only done with reading amateur writing, I'm done with reading professional writing. It is all crap.
I liked it and it made me want to know what was going to happen next. My critique would be, and this is just a matter of personal taste, that there is too much revealing of internal thoughts while things are going on. It seemed like you were taking us overmuch into his head, and those thoughts seemed to be jumping around too jarringly.
Can you provide us with a summary of your book, outlining the plot and the time and place in which the events are occurring?

I don't know if you're interested in Middle Earth fan fiction, but here is the link to my own novel:
Arwen's Journey: A Tale of Middle Earth by Karlmir Stonewain (faerie-archive.com)
Does it got boobies?
I like it, send a copy!   Thumbs Up
Firstly, thank you for posting this first chapter of your book.  On reading it, I realised within
a couple of paragraphs that it was science fiction—and recognising a book's genre is always
a positive, without prompting.  I often wish I had your sort of literary motivation to write at
least a novella, but it invariably escapes me, so well done, in that regard.

I'm going to apologise in advance, but I'm a harsh critic. I'm an avid reader of all sorts of
fiction over many decades, including a lot of science fiction.

A couple of points I'd like to make if I could.  (And please don't let my sole opinion dissuade
you in any way from continuing.)

Your use of the nominative pronoun "I" is overdone at the start of so many sentences. I've
listed most of them here to try and clarify this...

I was confused and beginning to feel agitated...  Beginning to feel both confused and agitated...
I continued to stare at the open door... Continuing to stare at the open door, I...
I stepped toward the door and took notice...Stepping towards the door I noticed...
I studied the narrow opening... Studying the narrow opening, I surmised that...
I could not recall having felt that way... Yet not recalling having felt that way before, I knew...
I applied little exertion...  Applying a little exertion, I...
I applied more exertion... With even more exertion, I...
I was not as small... Not being small, I...
I easily imagined my dead corpse... Imagining my corpse, I... [no need for 'dead']
I continued to inch along... Continuing to inch along, I...
I released a sigh of relief...Releasing a sigh of relief, I...
I counted twelve steps...  Counting twelve steps...  [why 12?]
I saw nothing... Seeing nothing, I...
I reached out with my left hand... Upon reaching out with my left hand... [why left?]
I did not stick around... Not wanting to stick around...

Quote:A total of two thousand six-hundred and forty steps led me to the work room. Another hundred and sixty steps led me to my work cubicle.

This nicely conveys the tedium of such a repetitious walk to his/her workplace, but you need to
be cautious with such precise figures. 2,642 steps is more than a mile.  Does anybody walk a
mile in any building?

Quote:I studied the narrow opening and surmised that perhaps I could squeeze myself through. A sideways route seemed probable, even though I also anticipated it to be accompanied with some pain. I was not as small or as skinny as some of my co-workers, but neither was I too big for there to be a zero chance of passage.

This paragraph is overly wordy in order to paint a picture in the reader's mind.  We already know
the door is only just ajar, and therefore we know it's going to be difficult for anybody to squeeze
through. A much more concise para would've done: "Maybe, I thought, I could squeeze myself
through?"  We don't need to know that some of your co-workers are bigger than you, as it doesn't
particularly add anything to the narrative (at this point).

Quote:There was plenty of time to contemplate my new awareness later as I returned my attention to the task of clearing myself of the most immediate obstacle. Once my left foot was in the clear, I straightened it and applied my right foot sideways. I continued to inch along through the narrow opening until I was in the clear.

Again, over-complex verbiage.  I don't even know what "contemplate my new awareness" means.
You don't need to tell us he/she "straightened" their left foot, or "applied" (?) their right foot "sideways".
It has nothing to do with the story.

Quote:At what I figured to be the level landing, I searched for an indication of a door in the wall. I saw nothing. There was not even a number upon the wall to indicate where I was located within the building. I reached out with my left hand and touched the wall. Eventually, I felt what I considered to be a minuscule groove that outlined the hidden doorway.

Still a bit wordy.  Better to say "guessed" rather than "figured".  Also better to say "I looked for a
door, but saw nothing; not even a floor number".  Obviously a door would be in a wall, so you don't
need to tell us this.  "I felt what I considered to be a minuscule groove..."  No, he/she didn't need
to "consider" it.  The miniscule groove was just there.  Maybe "appeared" to be?

Quote:The sudden sound of voices above sent me into flight mode. I did not stick around to determine what was being conveyed, as I was more concerned about not being caught. Quietly, but with haste, I made my way downward one level at a time.

I'm nor sure what being "conveyed" means.  Better to say "I didn't stick around to find out what
this meant".  And don't be afraid to use contractions:  "didn't" rather than "did not" for example.  
That's the way people normally speak, unless of course they're being emphatic.

So... the gist of the story so far is that of a person, male or female or robotic even, walking to their
workstation, along a corridor within some building or other, and who surreptitiously slips through a
previously locked door, and into a stairwell, and takes fright upon hearing possibly confronting voices.

I guess my general overall comments would relate to your overuse of more complex words where
simple ones would suffice.  You need to remember that we humans don't think spontaneously in
complex words in our minds; nor should the first-person narrator of this story.  In real life (yes, I
know this is fiction) nobody would say "The door was absent of any identifying markers".  Most would
say "The door was unmarked".  Nor would someone say "A sideways route seemed probable, even
though I also anticipated it to be accompanied with some pain".  Rather; "Maybe a possibly painful
sideways route?"

Don't be afraid to throw excess words out of sentences, and try to avoid using too many adjectives
and adverbs.  Also make use of a thesaurus;  "effort" is a better word than "exertion" for example
in the sense of pushing the door.  Exertion is actually the application of effort.

—Okay.  I hope all this criticism doesn't piss you off too much!    Smile

I've taken a bit of time to write this critique, and it's definitely intended to be constructive, with no
intent to be a put down.  I hope it's helped you at least a bit, and please feel free to let me know
here if you think I've been hypercritical or made some silly comments.

And I'll be looking forward to reading the second chapter to see what happens to our protagonist!

Thumbs Up
I was always warned in college about too many sentences starting with "I" as well. Also, being verbose. To this day, I need to watch both of those issues, even posting in fora like this. So, to that end, and beyond, I really like SYZ's thoughts just upthread. I must confess, I need a nap before diving into your writing, Phaed. Then I'll be able to critique it in a much more useful way, I hope.

I'll echo what's been said: I admire this project of yours. I struggled with reading and writing as a teen. Only now (and I'm 44. I think similar age to you) am I even wanting to take reading somewhat seriously. To that end, I put on my Amazon wish list some classics we needed to read in high school (Catcher in the Rye, To Kill A Mockingbird, Grapes of Wrath, and others).

As for me, the concept of "plot" and other such things evade me, but I LOVE doing character sketches. I got into this by reading Jimmy Buffett's Tales from Margaritaville, of all books. I still need to flesh them all out, but the process is interesting.
I'm on chapter four right now.

Honestly, I hadn't expected to go the route I have with it, but that's often how my writing turns out. I never outline or plan ahead, because my characters are always doing whatever they want anyway.

In the chapters following the beginning, it would appear that the novel is related to a particular idea, but I assure you that things are not as they seem. At least that's the constant that has been playing in my mind as I continue to write.

The first three chapters will seem slow, but an easy read since I am limiting each chapter to roughly 1k words, due to the single character in the beginning. But things will pick up once things begin to fall into place.
Having gotten 1000 or so words onto paper, locate the passage you're most proud of.  Erase it.  Rewrite it in ten words.  Now find the next passage you know is next year's Pulitzer.  Excise it.  Rewrite it in 7 words.  Keep going until the passage you like best is one of the rewrites.  Stop.  What's left will read much better.
(11-26-2020, 03:50 AM)airportkid Wrote: [ -> ]Having gotten 1000 or so words onto paper, locate the passage you're most proud of.  Erase it.  Rewrite it in ten words.  Now find the next passage you know is next year's Pulitzer.  Excise it.  Rewrite it in 7 words.  Keep going until the passage you like best is one of the rewrites.  Stop.  What's left will read much better.

Yeah, because of the nature of the English language only very short sentences and statements can be concise, longer expressions end up being confusing.

"Legalese" manages to be fairly concise in longer sentences, but it takes more concentration to read and isn't conducive to recreational reading.

In fiction, however, language becomes an art form instead of merely a means of communication. Anything goes as long as readers enjoy it. 

Putting a personal stamp on the language makes it art. The devil is in finding a style that suits both the writer and the reader. A style that conveys what the writer is thinking or feeling to the reader. If a character is confused, so are it's words or thoughts. 

While there are definitely limits in readability and conciseness, fiction will explore and push those limits. 

Phaedrus is definitely right to try to test the audience - it's really the only way to see if communication is successful. 

Fiction and "proper English" will always be at odds by nature, but they do have to go together to a degree to remain comprehensible and captivating. 

I am definitely intrigued to see what happens in the next chapter, so I think the author was successful. 

Not every style of writing, plot or genre will appeal to all, it just has to appeal to enough people.

The only real rule for a good book is that it makes enough people want to turn to the next page.
Also, granted, my writing isn't meant to appease to every audience. That would be impossible. I can only write as I can write, and I will always continue to do that. I write for fun, to appease the voices in my head I refer to as my imagination, and I give life to a world that could not exist without my help.

Criticism is good, yet I also have to be of the mind to measure criticism accordingly so that I can continue writing. After all, every criticism is not necessarily accurate, it's just the opinion of a single reader.

I'm about halfway through chapter five. Chapter two has been published at the link I provided. I will not be posting further chapters here for perusal. I will attempt to remain two chapters ahead of what I publish. As soon as I finish writing chapter five, the third chapter will be published.
Kill your babies. Rewrite = first draft - 10%.

Other than that, I agree with @SYZ regarding opening too many sentences with "I".
Chapter three, published to the link in the OP, delves a little deeper into what is happening.

Chapter six is a slower work in progress, but that is also understandable due to the direction the novel is taking.
(11-28-2020, 01:32 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: [ -> ]Chapter three, published to the link in the OP, delves a little deeper into what is happening.

Chapter six is a slower work in progress, but that is also understandable due to the direction the novel is taking.

I just finished reading Chapter 4. You're doing well. Don't be afraid to go back and add some improvements to earlier chapters as you hit your stride.  Writing
(11-29-2020, 12:31 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: [ -> ]I just finished reading Chapter 4. You're doing well. Don't be afraid to go back and add some improvements to earlier chapters as you hit your stride.  Writing

Wait till you read chapters 5 and 6, just keep an eye out for their arrival in the next few days. The novel has taken a twist I was not expecting.

I have not gotten around to reading your work yet, but I do have it bookmarked.
(11-29-2020, 01:38 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-29-2020, 12:31 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: [ -> ]I just finished reading Chapter 4. You're doing well. Don't be afraid to go back and add some improvements to earlier chapters as you hit your stride.  Writing

Wait till you read chapters 5 and 6, just keep an eye out for their arrival in the next few days. The novel has taken a twist I was not expecting.

I have not gotten around to reading your work yet, but I do have it bookmarked.

You will discover that your characters sometimes take on a life of their own and take over the story. I sometimes develop scenes by acting out the parts with props. I also draw rudimentary storyboards, as if I'm doing a screen play.
(11-29-2020, 06:33 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: [ -> ]You will discover that your characters sometimes take on a life of their own and take over the story. I sometimes develop scenes by acting out the parts with props. I also draw rudimentary storyboards, as if I'm doing a screen play.

I got around to your first chapter this evening. Even though it is not quite my cup of tea, I liked what I read.

As for outlines and storyboards, I always found them to be restrictive. Throughout school, I avoided using them.

By the way, is yours complete at 36 chapters?
(11-26-2020, 03:50 AM)airportkid Wrote: [ -> ]Having gotten 1000 or so words onto paper, locate the passage you're most proud of.  Erase it.  Rewrite it in ten words.  Now find the next passage you know is next year's Pulitzer.  Excise it.  Rewrite it in 7 words.  Keep going until the passage you like best is one of the rewrites.  Stop.  What's left will read much better.
I'm not inclined to agree.  Yes, sometimes an 'eyebite' is the perfect way to convey something, but sometimes that's just not enough.  A complex sentence is perfectly valid so long as it's clear, and clarity is much more important than being concise.  Besides, once in a while you get lucky and nail the correct phrase the first time you commit pen to paper (or electrons to screen, as the case may be), and editing it will only weaken it.

The best tool I've found to make a story read better is to read it aloud; I record mine and listen to them, away from my computer so I can focus on just hearing the structure.  If a passage is awkward to say or hear, that's a prime candidate for revision.
(11-30-2020, 02:43 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: [ -> ]As for outlines and storyboards, I always found them to be restrictive. Throughout school, I avoided using them.
I don't dare outline a story.  Every time I've tried it, my characters ran/flew/teleported as far from it as they could by the second paragraph.  I learned the hard way to just let the writing happen on its own, or it won't happen at all.
(11-29-2020, 06:33 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: [ -> ]...You will discover that your characters sometimes take on a life of their own and take over the story.

This is a very good point, and a lot of successful authors would agree. In fact, you'll
find the protagonist(s) effectively "writing" the story for you.
(11-30-2020, 06:39 AM)trdsf Wrote: [ -> ]... I'm not inclined to agree ...

The point wasn't bevity.  The point was priority.  Too often we take pride in an artful turn of phrase and lose sight of why we're writing to begin with - to excite someone else, not ourselves.  Every sentence, be it novel, story or essay, needs to advance, not meander in thickets of adjectives.  So, write with pruning shears, wielded often and mercilessly, to stay on point, or moving there.  Otherwise that someone else you're trying to excite will get bored, put the page down and go find a DVD.
(11-30-2020, 08:45 AM)airportkid Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-30-2020, 06:39 AM)trdsf Wrote: [ -> ]... I'm not inclined to agree ...

The point wasn't brevity.  The point was priority.  Too often we take pride in an artful turn of phrase and lose sight of why we're writing to begin with - to excite someone else, not ourselves.  Every sentence, be it novel, story or essay, needs to advance, not meander in thickets of adjectives.  So, write with pruning shears, wielded often and mercilessly, to stay on point, or moving there.  Otherwise that someone else you're trying to excite will get bored, put the page down and go find a DVD.

This style is typical of an author who sells millions of books every year:

"A slice of white in the darkness. Deathly fluorescence. Reacher's knuckles brushed the door, which opened silently.
El Gringo sat slumped at his desk. Very still.  Very dead. The uniform at his heels swore.  Reacher said nothing."
(11-30-2020, 02:43 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-29-2020, 06:33 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: [ -> ]You will discover that your characters sometimes take on a life of their own and take over the story. I sometimes develop scenes by acting out the parts with props. I also draw rudimentary storyboards, as if I'm doing a screen play.

I got around to your first chapter this evening. Even though it is not quite my cup of tea, I liked what I read.

As for outlines and storyboards, I always found them to be restrictive. Throughout school, I avoided using them.

By the way, is yours complete at 36 chapters?

My occasional storyboards aren't complicated, being drawn with stick figures. There are still about 30-40 chapters to go. I have written extensive parts of the story that haven't been broken down into chapters yet. I will be posting Chapter 37 soon.
(11-30-2020, 10:02 AM)SYZ Wrote: [ -> ]This style is typical of an author who sells millions of books every year:

"A slice of white in the darkness. Deathly fluorescence. Reacher's knuckles brushed the door, which opened silently.
El Gringo sat slumped at his desk. Very still.  Very dead. The uniform at his heels swore.  Reacher said nothing."

As a society progresses, it's literature is expected to evolve as well.

Apparently, Charlaine Harris' books, from which the show True Blood was created, are very well received in the reading community. If you thought Stephanie Meyer was a bad writer, Harris is worse. Yet, she's popular. Just as Stephanie Meyer and her Twilight series is popular, though honestly Meyer is a better writer than Harris.

One should not expect Hemingway or Austin or Dickins or Wilde type literature in this day and age. I do not strive to write like them, but neither do I strive to dumb down my usage of vocabulary for the average reader. I grew up reading books with words to which I did not know the meanings, but I used a dictionary or summarily figured out the meaning through the context of the sentence in which it was used.

Also, another thing I have come to accept with my writing is that I tend to be a more descriptive writer. Dialogue shows up, but there's probably less of it than in many novels.
Pages: 1 2 3