Atheist Discussion

Full Version: Question about god...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Does anyone know what god was doing before he supposedly created everything?  I mean, if he was floating around "outside of space and time"  what do theists claim he was doing all that time?  Was he just kinda hangin out?    I dont' think I've ever seen this discussed.  Wish there was a theist around who could answer my question because I'm certain they'd know the answer.  I'm sure they wouldn't just make up a bunch of shit.  No, they'd never do that.  Whistling
That's not for you to know. god is mysterious for a reason.
(01-10-2019, 07:54 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know what god was doing before he supposedly created everything?  I mean, if he was floating around "outside of space and time"  what do theists claim he was doing all that time?  Was he just kinda hangin out?    I dont' think I've ever seen this discussed.  Wish there was a theist around who could answer my question because I'm certain they'd know the answer.  I'm sure they wouldn't just make up a bunch of shit.  No, they'd never do that.  Whistling

He was hanging out at the hyperdimensional pool hall, practicing His bank shots, sipping Guinness, and hustling rubes from other plenums.

Why do you ask? Smile
(01-10-2019, 07:54 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know what god was doing before he supposedly created everything?  I mean, if he was floating around "outside of space and time"  what do theists claim he was doing all that time?  Was he just kinda hangin out?    I dont' think I've ever seen this discussed.  Wish there was a theist around who could answer my question because I'm certain they'd know the answer.  I'm sure they wouldn't just make up a bunch of shit.  No, they'd never do that.  Whistling

What was God doing before he created the world?  Creating hell for people who ask foolish questions"
- St Augustine
Puny Humans!

Making the Kool-aid. Lots and lots of Kool-aid.
Catching up on all the episodes of Game of Thrones.
I think he was jerking his gherkin.
(01-10-2019, 07:54 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know what god was doing before he supposedly created everything?  I mean, if he was floating around "outside of space and time"  what do theists claim he was doing all that time?  Was he just kinda hangin out?    I dont' think I've ever seen this discussed. 

Considering it was an eternity, he was slowly going mad.  Then when he was crazy enough, he created this world.   hobo
I imagine, trying to pull its head out of its ass!
(01-11-2019, 12:40 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-10-2019, 07:54 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know what god was doing before he supposedly created everything?  I mean, if he was floating around "outside of space and time"  what do theists claim he was doing all that time?  Was he just kinda hangin out?    I dont' think I've ever seen this discussed. 

Considering it was an eternity, he was slowly going mad.  Then when he was crazy enough, he created this world.   hobo

Good answer.  But I think it's a funny thing to think about and it would be interesting to ask a Bible believing Christian this question.  Why would god hang around "outside of space and time" for a while.  For what purpose?
If there's a natural explanation, what we know of the natural world has yet to reveal the existence of any god to us.

But if I'm going for a biblical answer, "He was hanging out with the other gods", because he was adamant about us placing him above the other gods.
Maybe he was holding out for a wall?

I've never understood this. According to the christers, gawd is eternal, without beginning or end. So, it had, literally, forever to plan how to create a viable universe. For and omniscient, omnipotent being, this should be a piece of cake, yet with forever to work with, it still managed to fuck it all up.
[Image: e1ea97bfe0bebb40c02884820438ba48.png]
He was preoccupied with counting angels dancing on the heads of pins.  Dodgy
I've always never quite understood why this allegedly all-knowing god is always surprised when his schemes turn out to be shit.
I think I've heard someone say that God would have come into existence along with time itself.
The generation of god would have also generated time and space and created the Universe with it. But that doesn't mean that god is bound by space and time like we are, hence "timeless"

Because they claim that god is existence and the most basic building blocks of existence are space and time, the framework upon which anything else can exist.
But then they like their god to look human-ish, so it's inconceivable to take the philosophy to the point where the man-god isn't so man-like, but rather simply space and time... and all religions are wrong.

According to some old commie joke in the beginning tovarisch god was walking the streets of Moscow. Alternatively he was too busy not existing (till first man made him in his image) to do anything.
This brings to mind some of the bullshit answers I'd get when asking such tough questions of the 5th grade nun who taught me at St. Jerome School back in the late 1950's. She would go all glassy-eyed and tell the class, "That is simply one of the great mysteries of our Faith." To my disgust, most of the kids in the class would just nod their heads in agreement like a flock of ignorant sheep. Little did she know that she was, in my mind, contributing to an ever growing accumulation of evidence in favor of atheism.

I'm afraid theists can't answer that question any more than anyone else can.  All we can know of God is what he had revealed to us in the Bible.  I suspect that even if he told us we wouldn't be able to understand.  But there may be a way to find out the answer.  At the end of the Bible God creates a new earth to be the home of all those whose sins have been forgiven by faith in Jesus Christ.  God will be present and no doubt he will reveal more about himself.  If you become a Christian you will be among those living there.  Perhaps then you will find the answers to your questions.
(01-11-2019, 02:01 PM)theophilus Wrote: [ -> ]I'm afraid theists can't answer that question any more than anyone else can.  All we can know of God is what he had revealed to us in the Bible.  I suspect that even if he told us we wouldn't be able to understand.  But there may be a way to find out the answer.  At the end of the Bible God creates a new earth to be the home of all those whose sins have been forgiven by faith in Jesus Christ.  God will be present and no doubt he will reveal more about himself.  If you become a Christian you will be among those living there.  Perhaps then you will find the answers to your questions.

Your first mistake is in thinking that god has revealed anything to anyone through the biblical medium. After all, it is merely a collection of fictional books written by fallible men.

Your second mistake is in assuming that fallible faith is preferable over reason.
(01-11-2019, 02:01 PM)theophilus Wrote: [ -> ]All we can know of God is what he had revealed to us in the Bible.  I suspect that even if he told us we wouldn't be able to understand.  But there may be a way to find out the answer.  At the end of the Bible God creates a new earth to be the home of all those whose sins have been forgiven by faith in Jesus Christ.  God will be present and no doubt he will reveal more about himself.  If you become a Christian you will be among those living there.  Perhaps then you will find the answers to your questions.

And you seriously believe all of that?  Doesn't it seem to you that you are just rationalizing what you prefer to believe?   Huh
(01-11-2019, 02:01 PM)theophilus Wrote: [ -> ]But there may be a way to find out the answer.  At the end of the Bible God creates a new earth to be the home of all those whose sins have been forgiven by faith in Jesus Christ.  God will be present and no doubt he will reveal more about himself.  If you become a Christian you will be among those living there.  Perhaps then you will find the answers to your questions.

This is the kind of bullshit apologist crap that makes me roll my eyes and pity the fool who utters it. According to your supernaturalistic view, we have to become, that is swallow, the Jeebus line so we may become enlightened in some post-mortem fantasy that has zero evidence to support it. Not only this, but the very Scriptures you so steadfastly hold on to have been shown to be a compendium of contradictory, misogynistic, slave-espousing, barbarous ideas from a time when people still shit in their own water supply. 

You go on and hold on to your faith if it makes you all warm and fuzzy, meanwhile I think I’ll go do something more constructive like remove the lint from my bellybutton or pull some weeds in the yard.
The question of why a god would just sit around outside of space and time and not  get on the job of creating everything is rather important.  Was he lazy?   Theists argue that he created the universe from scratch.  Well, ok.   But what about pre-creation time.  Why would that even be a thing for a god?   It really makes a god look ridiculous and the Big Bang becomes even more tenable.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7