Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moscow Terror Attack

Moscow Terror Attack
An attack claimed by the Islamic State has caused over 40 dead and hundreds of injured people when a group of terrorist attacked a concert room in the suburbs of Moscow. Of course Ukraine and pro-Ukrainian Russian armed groups have preemptively rejected any involvement and denounced it as a terror attack. Putin's post electoral honeymoon will have been very, very short.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/m...ting-blast
The following 1 user Likes epronovost's post:
  • pattylt

Moscow Terror Attack
I would have thought that IS and Putin's goons would have been natural allies.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • pattylt, Fireball, Thumpalumpacus

Moscow Terror Attack
(03-22-2024, 10:26 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I would have thought that IS and Putin's goons would have been natural allies.

I think those terrorist hate everyone.  It’s just what they do.  It’s their nature.
The following 3 users Like pattylt's post:
  • Alan V, brewerb, isbelldl

Moscow Terror Attack
(03-22-2024, 10:26 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I would have thought that IS and Putin's goons would have been natural allies.

Russia's troops in Syria have fought IS in numerous bloody battles, including the liberation of the city of Palmira. Russia's support to both the Kurds and Assad's regime makes them enemies of IS just as much as the US or the EU. Turkey actually has a little bit better relationship with them thanks to their mutual hatred of the Kurdes.
  • isbelldl

Moscow Terror Attack
(03-23-2024, 01:48 AM)epronovost Wrote:

Russia's troops in Syria have fought IS in numerous bloody battles, including the liberation of the city of Palmira. Russia's support to both the Kurds and Assad's regime makes them enemies of IS just as much as the US or the EU. Turkey actually has a little bit better relationship with them thanks to their mutual hatred of the Kurdes.

I looked up the Kurds in wikepedia. They look harmless and obscure, though I remember a 90s article in National Geographic about genocide against them.

Why the hate?
I am not fire-wood!

Moscow Terror Attack
(03-23-2024, 02:36 AM)AutisticWill Wrote:
(03-23-2024, 01:48 AM)epronovost Wrote: Russia's troops in Syria have fought IS in numerous bloody battles, including the liberation of the city of Palmira. Russia's support to both the Kurds and Assad's regime makes them enemies of IS just as much as the US or the EU. Turkey actually has a little bit better relationship with them thanks to their mutual hatred of the Kurdes.

I looked up the Kurds in wikepedia. They look harmless and obscure, though I remember a 90s article in National Geographic about genocide against them.

Why the hate?

When the Ottoman Empire crumbled, they became the largest ethnic national group on the planet without a country to call it's own in an era of fervent ethno-nationalism (the early 20th century) and the glory days of the nation-State concept. They were thus seen as an "obstacle" to the ethnic and national homogeneity of Syria, Iraq, Turkey and Iran. The Kurds themselves would attempt to create their own nation by force in Eastern Turkey in reaction to attempts to assimilate them by force. You can google the PKK if you want to have some info about that or the PYD for it's Syrian equivalent.
The following 3 users Like epronovost's post:
  • AutisticWill, pattylt, skyking

Moscow Terror Attack
(03-23-2024, 02:49 AM)epronovost Wrote:
(03-23-2024, 02:36 AM)AutisticWill Wrote: I looked up the Kurds in wikepedia. They look harmless and obscure, though I remember a 90s article in National Geographic about genocide against them.

Why the hate?

When the Ottoman Empire crumbled, they became the largest ethnic national group on the planet without a country to call it's own in an era of fervent ethno-nationalism (the early 20th century) and the glory days of the nation-State concept. They were thus seen as an "obstacle" to the ethnic and national homogeneity of Syria, Iraq, Turkey and Iran. The Kurds themselves would attempt to create their own nation by force in Eastern Turkey in reaction to attempts to assimilate them by force. You can google the PKK if you want to have some info about that or the PYD for it's Syrian equivalent.

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to help me better understand.

Seems relevant to today too, somehow....
I am not fire-wood!
The following 3 users Like AutisticWill's post:
  • epronovost, pattylt, skyking

Moscow Terror Attack
The death toll of the attack on Moscow's theatre is now at a 133 with many more injured. Putin claims his forces to have captured the perpetrators as they were trying to reach the Ukrainian border which he will of course use to further move Russia towards a totalitarian State status. He did not mentioned the fact the Islamic State has claimed the responsibility for the attack.

Moscow Terror Attack
Color me suspicious of any claims that Putin makes.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Moscow Terror Attack
It was inevitable that Putin would blame it on Ukraine. With support for the war flagging, he has to plump it up any way he can.
On hiatus.
The following 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Minimalist, Alan V, pattylt, brewerb, skyking

Moscow Terror Attack
Any chance that these "terrorists" were actually Putin's doing?
The following 3 users Like Astreja's post:
  • epronovost, AutisticWill, skyking

Moscow Terror Attack
(03-23-2024, 05:53 PM)Astreja Wrote: Any chance that these "terrorists" were actually Putin's doing?

It would not be the first time Putin would be suspected to use a false flag attack like this to his advantage. Back 1999, when he was PM, Putin was suspected by Western Intelligence services to be behind a series of bombing that killed over 300 people as a push for a full scale war against Chechenia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Russi...nvolvement
  • pattylt

Moscow Terror Attack
Has ISIS ever claimed responsibility for something they didn’t do?

Moscow Terror Attack
(03-23-2024, 10:27 PM)pattylt Wrote: Has ISIS ever claimed responsibility for something they didn’t do?

Probably not, and that's a good point.  I can see Putin telling his security forces to stand down and let it happen, though.
The following 2 users Like Astreja's post:
  • pattylt, brewerb

Moscow Terror Attack
(03-23-2024, 10:27 PM)pattylt Wrote: Has ISIS ever claimed responsibility for something they didn’t do?

The Las Vegas shooting would be the only instance I can think of. Though it would be surprising for them to claim an attack perpetrated by several people which required a lot of planning and resources and had a get away plan.
The following 2 users Like epronovost's post:
  • pattylt, Thumpalumpacus

Moscow Terror Attack
According to the BBC IS have released "gruesome" bodycam footage of the atrocity, complete with cries of "Allahu Akbar!"
The following 2 users Like Dexta's post:
  • pattylt, Thumpalumpacus

Moscow Terror Attack
(03-24-2024, 02:44 PM)Dexta Wrote: According to the BBC IS have released "gruesome" bodycam footage of the atrocity, complete with cries of "Allahu Akbar!"

Do you have a link to the article discussing this?

Moscow Terror Attack
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68649229
The following 3 users Like Dexta's post:
  • pattylt, Thumpalumpacus, epronovost

Moscow Terror Attack
Quote:Russian President Vladimir Putin brushed off U.S. warnings of extremist attacks in Moscow, days before gunmen carried out a rampage at a Moscow concert hall that left over 133 people dead last week.

The U.S. Embassy in Russia issued a security alert warning on March 7 that “extremists” are planning an attack in Moscow and advised individuals to avoid large gatherings over the next two days.

Putin later called the embassy’s alerts “provocative” and “outright blackmail,” intended to damage Russian society.

“I would also like to recall the recent provocative statements by a number of official Western structures regarding potential terrorist attacks in Russia,” Putin said during a March 19 meeting of the Federal Security Board, per a Kremlin transcript.

“All these actions resemble outright blackmail and the intention to intimidate and destabilize our society. You are well aware of them, so I will not go into details at this point.”

Last Friday — three days after the meeting — multiple gunmen opened fire at Crocus City Hall in Moscow, killing at least 137 people and wounding over 180 others. The Islamic State group quickly claimed responsibility for the shooting.

https://thehill.com/policy/international...ow-attack/
On hiatus.
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Alan V, Dānu, epronovost, pattylt

Moscow Terror Attack
Putin is a criminal..... not a genius.
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Alan V, pattylt, Thumpalumpacus

Moscow Terror Attack
Putin is still refusing to acknowledge that ISIS is behind the attack. He benefits much more by pointing the finger at Ukraine yet the evidence is piling up that it really was ISIS. Putin’s claim that the four captured men were heading towards Ukraine is also BS. More likely they were heading toward Belarus since it’s a much easier border to cross. Ukraine is near impossible.

As the truth eventually leaks into Russia, Putin’s deflections will eventually fail. It probably won’t matter but, here’s hoping?

Moscow Terror Attack
Well, he can certainly bury his head in the sand all he wants, but ISIS is threatening him with more attacks and if he doesn't take them seriously, well...more of his people will die. Eventually, people get tired of seeing their people slaughtered. When it's a choice between being killed by your own government or a different enemy, the citizens just might be rising up to try a take-over. What do they have to lose? Putin can't murder all of them.
Formerly WiCharlie Sun

Moscow Terror Attack
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68652380

They beat the fuck out of them, they called Mohammed too.

Moscow Terror Attack
Tortured testimony is worthless but the Russians seem to do it for pleasure and revenge anyway. They will all be found guilty as well as those additional people they caught. They will be executed and Putin will claim that Russia is once again safe except for Ukraine.

Imagine if Putin was actually a good ruler rather than a thug. Russia and American intelligence could work together to eliminate ISIS-K. Instead, we look at one group of terrorists and really don’t see much different than the other group of terrorists. Russia holds so much wasted potential.
The following 3 users Like pattylt's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Fireball, Deesse23

Moscow Terror Attack
(03-25-2024, 10:30 PM)pattylt Wrote: They will be executed and Putin will claim that Russia is once again safe except for Ukraine.  

There is a moratorium on capital punishment in Russia and nobody has been condemned, officially to death, since 1996 I believe. Putin breaking this moratorium would be yet another step towards a shift to a fully fascist Russia.
  • pattylt