Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biblical Sodom Was Destroyed By Meteor Astronomers Say

(09-15-2020, 01:44 AM)mordant Wrote: If the evidence points to an air burst, I don't think it in any way substantiates the literal interpretation of the story of Sodom. It'd be far more likely, if there's any connection at all, for it to have served as inspiration for the fable, probably via old handed down stories of fire "raining down from heaven" countless generations prior. It would be a perfect framework for the author of the Sodom story to embellish and provide an "explanation" for an event that, to the primitives of that time and place, could only be made sense of as some kind of visitation of the gods.

So it presents no problem for me as a person who regards the story as a fable, since it doesn't substantiate the Biblical account one iota. But you can count on god-botherers to be all over it; sounds like some already are.

Humans the world over historically and currently have assigned divine cause to natural events. This is no different. Show me the money, then we can talk turkey.
Freedom isn't free.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Gwaithmir

1908 wasn't all that long ago.

3500 BC was. 

They are speculating on an air burst but what was it that blew up?  A rocky meteorite is one thing.  A comet is something else.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

By way of comparison.

https://earthsky.org/space/what-is-the-t...-explosion

Quote:When the sky exploded: Remembering Tunguska

Also discusses the far more recent Chelyabinsk incident which, thanks to the Russian propensity for dashboard cameras, was well documented by motorists around that southern Russian city.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(09-15-2020, 01:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: I haven't read the paper, but if it were an air burst, perhaps chemical signatures would be found , similar to the Tanguska event.
(Maybe the paper talks about that ?) 

There are a few chemical signatures; they're mainly leaning on evidence pointing at great heat -- rocks and pottery shards turned to glass on one side.

I mean, there's nothing objectionable to the basic idea -- had the Tunguska event occurred over a city rather than over wilderness, it would have been completely devastating.  If a comparable event had happened over a Bronze Age city in the Middle East, it would've been pretty efficiently destroyed.  And with the lack of modern scientific knowledge, the locals would have taken it as a sign of divine displeasure, no doubt.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

Quote:the locals would have taken it as a sign of divine displeasure, no doubt.

The "locals" would have been blown to bits.  Any injured would have been hard pressed to survive their injuries and would doubtless have starved in short order.  There was no Red Cross to come to the rescue.

People living in the next county would have told the story - without having actually seen what happened - and most assuredly come to the conclusion that the fuckers who died had offended the gods somehow.

We had a guy over at Archaeologica who was always yammering on about cosmic impacts.  His basic position was that every human event was caused by some space rock hitting the planet at just the right time and place to cause some monumental event.  Whatever.
  • Dānu

(09-15-2020, 04:21 PM)trdsf Wrote:
(09-15-2020, 01:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: I haven't read the paper, but if it were an air burst, perhaps chemical signatures would be found , similar to the Tanguska event.
(Maybe the paper talks about that ?) 

There are a few chemical signatures; they're mainly leaning on evidence pointing at great heat -- rocks and pottery shards turned to glass on one side.

I mean, there's nothing objectionable to the basic idea -- had the Tunguska event occurred over a city rather than over wilderness, it would have been completely devastating.  If a comparable event had happened over a Bronze Age city in the Middle East, it would've been pretty efficiently destroyed.  And with the lack of modern scientific knowledge, the locals would have taken it as a sign of divine displeasure, no doubt.

... and since there are sulphur deposits near the Dead Sea, .... seems far more probable that what was being described was the repeated "fire and brimstone" they knew about.

(09-15-2020, 04:43 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:the locals would have taken it as a sign of divine displeasure, no doubt.

The "locals" would have been blown to bits.  Any injured would have been hard pressed to survive their injuries and would doubtless have starved in short order.  There was no Red Cross to come to the rescue.

Obviously, I meant locals in terms of those near enough to be aware of the event, not those in the middle of it.  You don't have to agree with me, but don't fucking insult my intelligence.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

This was the gist of my argument with the "continual bombardment" nut at archaeologica, though.  In his view these were catastrophic events which would have obliterated everything in the vicinity but others "nearby" would have crafted stories about them- even he did not profess to believe that they were written down until much, much later.  He wouldn't/couldn't define "nearby." Yet he was fully versed in the scientific realities of such   impacts.  The fireball at the point of impact or airburst.  The ensuing shockwave.  The dust cloud/acid rain/ "nuclear" winter.  So how far away does a witness have to be in able to "witness" the event and live to tell the story?  The most I ever got him to agree to was that they had to be far enough away to experience the periphery of the destruction but not so close as to be blown to bits.  Such distance would vary with the size of the impactor but if you start thinking of the curvature of the earth and intervening terrain it becomes clear that no one could have been close enough to see the impact and survive the resultant blast.  Yeah, someone might have been sleeping in a cave and survived that way but then, they didn't see what happened.

His problem, and he wrote a whole book on the subject, was that he took every bit of ancient religious folklore and reduced it to the result of some cosmic impact or other.  It wasn't necessary given the generally superstitious nature of the age.  People who could take a thunderstorm and turn it into the will of the gods would have no trouble ascribing a nuclear winter to the same cause.  And such legends never get smaller over time.

(09-14-2020, 01:44 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: That men build myths around big events is not news.

And that's just the point isn't it, when Katrina happened the fundies said it was because it was a sinful city and God was giving them a warning. When the boxing day Tsunami struck the Fundies within Islam were saying it was because they were not following the teachings of the prophet.

Now they are saying that Coronavirus is a rallying cry to nations to accept god (add your own religion here)
Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid.
The following 2 users Like possibletarian's post:
  • Minimalist, Thumpalumpacus

Quote:And that's just the point isn't it, when Katrina happened the fundies said it was because it was a sinful city and God was giving them a warning.

That's a good point.  I recall when the Dover School Board decision came out that Pat Robertson said when god unleashed a natural disaster on Pennsylvania they shouldn't complain because they had just thrown god out of their schools.

Then, shortly after, a series of tornadoes flattened red-state Kansas thus proving that god has a shitty aim.

They don't talk about that one much.
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • possibletarian, Fireball, Gwaithmir

(09-17-2020, 12:42 AM)possibletarian Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 01:44 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: That men build myths around big events is not news.

And that's just the point isn't it, when Katrina happened the fundies said it was because it was a sinful city and God was giving them a warning. When the boxing day Tsunami struck the Fundies within Islam were saying it was because they were not following the teachings of the prophet.

Now they are saying that Coronavirus is a rallying cry to nations to accept god (add your own religion here)

Maybe covid is God's way to get rid of science hating far right fundies?
And my little boy named my truck "Giddyup gah gah gah!"  Isn't he cute?  He's only eight.

The following 4 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • possibletarian, Fireball, Minimalist, TheGentlemanBastard

(09-17-2020, 12:42 AM)possibletarian Wrote:

Exactly. When the supernatural agent is of course silent, numerous assholes feel free to impute motives anyway. I suppose it's just a coincidence that those imputed motives happen to support the faiths of the claimants.
Freedom isn't free.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Minimalist, possibletarian

(09-17-2020, 01:04 AM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:And that's just the point isn't it, when Katrina happened the fundies said it was because it was a sinful city and God was giving them a warning.

That's a good point.  I recall when the Dover School Board decision came out that Pat Robertson said when god unleashed a natural disaster on Pennsylvania they shouldn't complain because they had just thrown god out of their schools.

Then, shortly after, a series of tornadoes flattened red-state Kansas thus proving that god has a shitty aim.

They don't talk about that one much.

God seems to have it in for Alabama right now. I wonder what they did? Maybe he doesn't like them eating so much shrimp.
Freedom isn't free.

Fuckface is up by 19 points in Alabama.  That's enough for any so-called "god" to have it in for those idiots.
  • Thumpalumpacus

(09-17-2020, 05:04 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Fuckface is up by 19 points in Alabama.  That's enough for any so-called "god" to have it in for those idiots.

They're getting a good dose of "grab 'em by the pussy" right now, that's for sure. I hope any readers here in the afflicted areas are safe.
Freedom isn't free.