Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biblical Sodom Was Destroyed By Meteor Astronomers Say

(09-29-2020, 06:02 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Actually, though, that is not what happened.  The major powers all benefited from the generally peaceful conditions and the trade networks which developed in the Late Bronze Age.  As noted in history, the first peace treaty known to history was signed by the Egyptians and the Hittites sometime after the Battle of Kadesh and neither side ever broke the treaty.  In reality both sides had expanded about as far as they could and had reached the limits of their ability to project power from their seats of power.  We have correspondence from both diplomatic and private sources which indicates that warnings were sent to the more Eastern realms that the western powers (Mycenaean Greece, Crete, and the Hellespont ("Troy" if you wish to use the term) were under attack by raiders in ships.  Sort of sounds like the Medieval Viking attacks, doesn't it? 

Cline discusses the concept of "systems collapse."  In essence it is a convergence of a series of disasters.  First an earthquake storm along the North Anatolian Fault in Turkey.  That was followed by a persistent drought which led to migrations (The Sea People are thought to have begun as such a migration) which found targets of opportunity.  The LBA Empires might have survived any one of these disasters but all 3 in a relatively short time was too much for them.  The Levant entered a long Dark Age.

Cline makes a compelling argument for his "systems collapse" idea.

Like, like, like. I'm a historian. I agree that cultures project power as far as they can and that there are limits dependent on trade and weapons.

I agree that there are random elements that affect small cultures. Volcanoes, tsunamis, the sea people. Don't get me started again on the Vikings effect on Europe. I would be accused of "repetition".

But Troy WAS sacked and burned many times, so it couldn't have exactly been "peaceful" there.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

Fire was a constant danger in ancient cities, even "palace cities" like Troy and Knossos.  As a matter of fact it is still a danger.  But not every fire was caused by a sacking.  They aren't even sure that Troy VIa was sacked as a result of war but they did find some arrow heads and a body.  Apparently after earlier earthquakes/fires the bodies were recovered and buried or otherwise disposed of.  But because of the arrow heads no one will rule out an armed attack AND, the timing happens to fit in nicely with The Sea People activities.  They found an easy mark in Troy VIa which had struggled to recover in the aftermath of the earthquake which took out Troy VI.  That's too much of a coincidence even for me.  I'll buy a Sea People attack on Troy VIa until the opposite is proven.

I have to go looking for something for you.  Since you like history this may interest you.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

I had to go back to AF.org to find this since I can't get into my old Photobucket account anymore.

In a compilation of essays, called The Archaeology of Ancient Israel, edited by Israeli scholar Amnon Ben Tor, included an essay by his colleague, Amihai Mazar.  Mazar drew the following chart which compared Mycenaean pottery finds in Greece with Philistine finds found in Canaan - IIRC at Ashdod.  His conclusion was that there was a Hellenic background to the Philistines  called the Peleset by the Eqyptians on the temple walls at Medinet Habu where Ramesses III recorded his "victory" over the Sea People.

[Image: ?url=i4.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fy108%...ymotif.jpg]

I regret the commercial for Photobucket but I think you can see  that there are obvious similarities in style.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”