Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earth barreling toward 'Hothouse' state not seen in 50 million years

https://www.livescience.com/oldest-clima...c-era.html

Quote: 
Sixty-six million years ago, after a massive asteroid hit Earth with the explosive energy of roughly 1 billion nuclear bombs, a shroud of ash, dust and vaporized rock covered the sky and slowly rained down on the planet. As plant and animal species died en masse, tiny undersea amoebas called forams continued to reproduce, building sturdy shells out of calcium and other deep-sea minerals, just as they had for hundreds of millions of years. When each foram inevitably died — pulverized into seabed sediment — they kept a little piece of Earth's ancient history alive in their fossilized shells.

The new paper, which comprises decades of deep-ocean drilling missions into a single record, details Earth's climate swings across the entire Cenozoic era — the 66 million-year period that began with the death of the dinosaurs and extends to the present epoch of human-induced climate change. The results show how Earth transitioned through four distinct climate states — dubbed the Warmhouse, Hothouse, Coolhouse and Icehouse states — in response to changes in the planet's orbit, greenhouse gas levels and the extent of polar ice sheets.

The zig-zagging chart (shown above) ends with a sobering peak. According to the researchers, the current pace of anthropogenic global warming far exceeds the natural climate fluctuations seen at any other point in the Cenozoic era, and has the potential to hyper-drive our planet out of a long icehouse phase into a searing hothouse state.

"Now that we have succeeded in capturing the natural climate variability, we can see that the projected anthropogenic warming will be much greater than that," study co-author James Zachos, professor of Earth and planetary sciences at the University of California, Santa Cruz, said in a statement. "The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) projections for 2300 in the 'business-as-usual' scenario will potentially bring global temperature to a level the planet has not seen in 50 million years." (The IPCC is a United Nations group that assesses the science, risks and impacts of climate change on the planet.)

Deadpan Coffee Drinker
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
The following 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • brewerb, Mark, Dānu, Little Lunch

One of the Trumptards will call it a Chinese Hoax in   3.......2........1.............
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

OP, where you been?
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Yep, read that this morning too.  Yesterday this:

[Image: 50331071202_2c53559ab7_o.png]

Tomorrow:

[Image: 50330565093_bf60a067ff_o.png]

Got any more coffee, @Gawdzilla Sama ?
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 2 users Like Mark's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Little Lunch

(09-11-2020, 06:55 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: OP, where you been?

Working and stuff. But I have a long break today since they told me to stop working for reasons.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Getting paid to sit around! Big Grin

Some people say that goes away in the winter, with the cold. We might looking into ice water injections in to the atmosphere. Maybe some Gatorade, it's filled with electricalolites, it stops the heat on contact. I was the one who discovered that.
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Little Lunch

This shit show keeps getting worse and worse and worse...
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(09-11-2020, 08:52 PM)Bcat Wrote: This shit show keeps getting worse and worse and worse...

I wanted to save more time off, but I requested off for next Wednesday for mental health reasons.  Depressing stuff.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Bcat

(09-11-2020, 09:09 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 08:52 PM)Bcat Wrote: This shit show keeps getting worse and worse and worse...

I wanted to save more time off, but I requested off for next Wednesday for mental health reasons.  Depressing stuff.

Hug
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Can't they call Bruce Willis ?
I'm sure he will fix things.
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis