Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump and the End Times

Trump and the End Times
Admittedly, I don’t fully know the ins and outs of the Christian version of the end times, but I recall there being two central figures: the antichrist, and the messiah. The antichrist is supposed to come well before the messiah and he’s supposed to be a charismatic figure that fools people into believing that he’s the messiah. Do I understand that right?

I have also heard secondhand that there are many Christians who believe that Trump’s “presidency” has been ordained by G-d, and that some(much) of the blind following is rooted in faith. That makes sense to me because I tend to associate the stereotypical Trump follower with being an evangelical Christian. Are they being fed these cues in their churches? 

So, if I understand it correctly, Christians believe that there will be an antichrist, and many of them believe that Trump has been ordained to be in the position he’s in.  So, how exactly do they think Trump might fit into their religious narrative (if at all)?
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Trump and the End Times
Yes, Aliza.  There are a lot of so-called xtians who are just plain stupid.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Antipholus

Trump and the End Times
I'm not sufficiently familiar with that stuff, but if memory serves, the myth includes that the antichrist will come as a peace-maker who brings people together. It's true that pulling out of foreign conflicts does create peace in a sense, but aside from that, I don't think Trump is a good fit.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Trump and the End Times
So far as I know the antichrist and end times will come when people won't recognize Satan because he's disguised as a popular leader.  He's supposed to walk through smoke and ruins guarded by his helpers and pretend he's super religious other blah, blah, blah stuff.  Or something to that effect. 

[Image: george_floyd_protest_day_3_1921.jpg]

[Image: trump-st.-johns-church-1024x683.jpg]
                                                         T4618
The following 6 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Aliza, Dom, Gawdzilla Sama, Full Circle, Chas, Old Man Marsh

Trump and the End Times
Except the antichrist is supposed to be super smart - you know something a tad better than "person,  woman,  man,  camera,  tv."
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Full Circle

Trump and the End Times
(08-18-2020, 04:15 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Except the antichrist is supposed to be super smart - you know something a tad better than "person,  woman,  man,  camera,  tv."

But wouldn't the believers think he is "super smart?" He does say he's the best at everything and no one ever knows more about anything than him. And he's a multi bigillionaire, right? So how could he have gotten that that (totally real) money if he wasn't super smart?
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • Dom

Trump and the End Times
(08-18-2020, 04:24 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 04:15 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Except the antichrist is supposed to be super smart - you know something a tad better than "person,  woman,  man,  camera,  tv."

But wouldn't the believers think he is "super smart?" He does say he's the best at everything and no one ever knows more about anything than him. And he's a multi bigillionaire, right? So how could he have gotten that that (totally real) money if he wasn't super smart?

Supposedly ordeal by water was pretty good for finding witches so perhaps it would also work for antichrists? Worth trying I guess.  Girl_devil
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 3 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Aliza, Fireball, Deesse23

Trump and the End Times
The fundies literally think he was appointed by god. And here. It's a literal death cult.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Aliza, Szuchow, LastPoet

Trump and the End Times
(08-18-2020, 04:42 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: The fundies literally think he was appointed by god.  And here. It's a literal death cult.

Holy crap. Wow... just wow.
The following 2 users Like Aliza's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, LastPoet

Trump and the End Times
(08-18-2020, 04:28 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 04:24 PM)Aliza Wrote:

Supposedly ordeal by water was pretty good for finding witches so perhaps it would also work for antichrists? Worth trying I guess.  Girl_devil

Make him hold an anchor.
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Szuchow, GenesisNemesis, Fireball

Trump and the End Times
(08-18-2020, 04:55 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 04:42 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: The fundies literally think he was appointed by god.  And here. It's a literal death cult.

Yeah, it's really depressing to live here, if you're a sane person, anyway.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Szuchow, Dom, Dancefortwo, Bcat

Trump and the End Times
(08-18-2020, 05:03 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 04:55 PM)Aliza Wrote:

Yeah, it's really depressing to live here, if you're a sane person, anyway.

Welcome to the club.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Dom

Trump and the End Times
(08-18-2020, 03:33 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: So far as I know the antichrist and end times will come when people won't recognize Satan because he's disguised as a popular leader.  He's supposed to walk through smoke and ruins guarded by his helpers and pretend he's super religious other blah, blah, blah stuff.  Or something to that effect. 

That man is less religious than I am. Whistling
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dom

Trump and the End Times
(08-18-2020, 03:33 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: So far as I know the antichrist and end times will come when people won't recognize Satan because he's disguised as a popular leader.  He's supposed to walk through smoke and ruins guarded by his helpers and pretend he's super religious other blah, blah, blah stuff.  Or something to that effect. 

Isn't this exactly what's happening? Don't forget, no one loves the bible as much as Trump does.

I don't get it. I think a very good case can be made to the Christians to not vote for Trump because he's their antichrist.

Trump and the End Times

This is why home schooling by religious groups needs to be highly scrutinized and subjected to rigorous inspection to make sure they're learning REAL science, REAL history and  not creationist shit.  The Evangelical parents today home schooling their kids were themselves home schooled. Home schooling by religious nuts is huge and the majority of kids are home schooled to shelter them from the reality of the world.  I'd guess that there are about 3 generations of home schooled evangelicals and fundimentalist walking around this planet ....and they vote!
                                                         T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dom, GenesisNemesis, Aliza, Old Man Marsh

Trump and the End Times
(08-18-2020, 05:40 PM)Aliza Wrote:

Isn't this exactly what's happening? Don't forget, no one loves the bible as much as Trump does.

I don't get it. I think a very good case can be made to the Christians to not vote for Trump because he's their antichrist.

Trump is just the person I would expect christian god to send were such mythological being to exist. God of the Bible is petty tyrant and genocidal monster. Why guy he chosen for the job should have any positive qualities?

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Trump and the End Times
Yes, puppet's evangelical followers are being fed information through their churches about this being the end times and puppet's role in them.   Probably through regular series of eschatological sermons, just like I had to listen to way back in the fucking 1970s (it was the end times then, too, only at that point the Antichrist was speculated to be some USSR figure).  

There's a fundy split that affects where the Christians fall.  Some Christians think the Rapture is going to come before the end times, Antichrist, etc., and so they'll all be whisked away to the heavens before shit happens to the rest of us.  Other Christians think the end times, antichrist, etc., will come before the Rapture.  People who believe this to be the proper order think the end times are already here.  

Puppet's role is not Antichrist, though.  Antichrist is evil and opposed to gawd.  As puppet is doing gawd's work by trying to get conservatives on the SCOTUS, keeping Pence close to power, etc., he is a tool of gawd, not an opponent.  In some Christians' view puppet is a sincere Christian, having been "saved" shortly before his election.    

The recent announcement that Jared has achieved peace in the Middle East moves everybody in both camps once step closer to the Second Coming.
god, ugh
The following 6 users Like julep's post:
  • Szuchow, Aliza, Dancefortwo, Bcat, GenesisNemesis, Dom

Trump and the End Times
I heard somewhere that Trump ='s "trumpet" in the minds of *some* Christians.  That's what you call reaching   Tongue 
Anyway, the trumpet passage is coming from the Book of Revelation (which if ever there was a bad acid trip that book would be one).
The following 2 users Like Bcat's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Old Man Marsh

Trump and the End Times
(08-18-2020, 06:40 PM)Bcat Wrote: I heard somewhere that Trump ='s "trumpet" in the minds of *some* Christians.  That's what you call reaching   Tongue 
Anyway, the trumpet passage is coming from the Book of Revelations (which if ever there was a bad acid trip that book would be one).

That's very interesting. How do they interpret the term "Trumpanzee?"

[Image: Imgur-8160b6.png]
The following 3 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Bcat, GenesisNemesis, Old Man Marsh

Trump and the End Times
(08-18-2020, 05:54 PM)julep Wrote: Yes, puppet's evangelical followers are being fed information through their churches about this being the end times and puppet's role in them.   Probably through regular series of eschatological sermons, just like I had to listen to way back in the fucking 1970s (it was the end times then, too, only at that point the Antichrist was speculated to be some USSR figure).  

There's a fundy split that affects where the Christians fall.  Some Christians think the Rapture is going to come before the end times, Antichrist, etc., and so they'll all be whisked away to the heavens before shit happens to the rest of us.  Other Christians think the end times, antichrist, etc., will come before the Rapture.  People who believe this to be the proper order think the end times are already here.  

Puppet's role is not Antichrist, though.  Antichrist is evil and opposed to gawd.  As puppet is doing gawd's work by trying to get conservatives on the SCOTUS, keeping Pence close to power, etc., he is a tool of gawd, not an opponent.  In some Christians' view puppet is a sincere Christian, having been "saved" shortly before his election.    

The recent announcement that Jared has achieved peace in the Middle East moves everybody in both camps once step closer to the Second Coming.

The part Christians like to "forget" is the Book of Revelation was written in 96 CE.  It's now 2020.  God sure takes his sweet old time to rapture.
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Trump and the End Times
(08-18-2020, 06:43 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 06:40 PM)Bcat Wrote: I heard somewhere that Trump ='s "trumpet" in the minds of *some* Christians.  That's what you call reaching   Tongue 
Anyway, the trumpet passage is coming from the Book of Revelations (which if ever there was a bad acid trip that book would be one).

That's very interesting. How do they interpret the term "Trumpanzee?"

[Image: Imgur-8160b6.png]

Hmmm good question.  I'll have to consult the NT  Tongue

Trump and the End Times
(08-18-2020, 05:44 PM)Szuchow Wrote:

Trump is just the person I would expect christian god to send were such mythological being to exist. God of the Bible is petty tyrant and genocidal monster. Why guy he chosen for the job should have any positive qualities?

Funny you should mention that, Szu.

The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Szuchow, Mark, Gwaithmir

Trump and the End Times

Looks like the guy alright.  But they already know and welcome him with open arms.  Something weird about this sort of fundamentalist, mentally hamstrung Christian which makes them want to help God out in getting on to clouds and harps place.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.

Trump and the End Times
trump only fools the willfully foolish, so about 99.86% of America.
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • Deesse23, Gwaithmir

Trump and the End Times

A couple of the key elements, as I was taught about it, was that the anti-christ would be someone who miraculously suffered a normally lethal injury. He would also be responsible for building the Third Temple (The Temple on the Mount), or making the building possible.

Trump is a poor fit for the anti-christ, but there are many that will attempt to shoe-horn him into the position in order to bring about their version of the apocalypse.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]