Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time Out For Jerry Falwell Jr.

(08-25-2020, 05:46 AM)Aliza Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 05:41 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: So it seems Jerry Falwell has un-resigned his position from Liberty.  I'm not certain of the source for this though.  I may be that he figured out that he could blame it all on his wife, throw her under the bus and proclaim himself pure as the driven slush......er, I mean....snow.  Yeah, that's it...pure as the dirven show.   Nod

Falwell should quit because his brand of Christianity should not be promoted. Period. 

The pool boy affair should never have been discussed openly, except for the fact that Falwell and his people sure like to fire and brimstone the hell out of everything that everyone else does. If it was the university president (or whatever title he held) of any other school, I'd be saying the private sexual matters of consenting adults is no one else's business. Actually, it's kind of douchy and power-grabby of the pool boy to enjoy that relationship for so many years and then use it against them. Pool boy was fine with the optics while he was banging Mrs. Falwell all those times.

The problem is that HIS brand of Christianity is all too common. He is merely the one at the top today. The followers remain. They will find someone just like him tomorrow. And they will say HE failed but THE NEXT ONE is THE RIGHT ONE. They will never learn...
Theists disbelieve in all deities but one.  I just disbelieve in one less.
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Fireball, mordant

Religious hypocrites. Color me surprised.
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Are they hypocrites because they're religious, or because they're conservative? Or both?
[Image: giant%20meteor%202020.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Cavebear

(08-29-2020, 02:16 PM)Dānu Wrote: Are they hypocrites because they're religious, or because they're conservative?  Or both?

Most theists are, by definition, conservative. Small "c". Meaning that they want to conserve the past and to them, the "past" is an ancient deity arequiring some level of blind obedience. As such, they ALSO tend to be politically Conservative (Capital D). Its not a perfect representation, but liberal theists are not quite like conservative theists. Just saying...

But I can tell the difference between theist beliefs connected to the political spectrum left and right. Liberal theists are basically tortured by the difference between what religion tells them to think and what they know is ethical. Conservative theists not only have no such difficulties, they can hold conflicting views on both. Why? Because they don't actually think much.

Why? because "thinking" challenges "belief". And that makes some sense. Belief is about "faith", and faith is not challengeable. The more you "think" about things, the greater the discrepancy between reality and religion.
Theists disbelieve in all deities but one.  I just disbelieve in one less.
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • mordant

(08-29-2020, 03:41 PM)Cavebear Wrote: But I can tell the difference between theist beliefs connected to the political spectrum left and right.  Liberal theists are basically tortured by the difference between what religion tells them to think and what they know is ethical.  Conservative theists not only have no such difficulties, they can hold conflicting views on both.  Why?  Because they don't actually think much.  

Why?  because "thinking" challenges "belief".  And that makes some sense.  Belief is about "faith", and faith is not challengeable.  The more you "think" about things, the greater the discrepancy between reality and religion.

That's quite accurate. We were taught from the cradle that "mere human reasoning" was a vice and religious faith was a virtue. If you're steeped in that most of your life it does a pretty good job of neutralizing whatever bullshit meter you were born with. We lived in constant fear of being "deceived" by "what seems right to a man, but the way thereof leads to destruction" and similar such warnings.

It's easier to lead the sheeple if they constantly doubt themselves.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Old Man Marsh

The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Deesse23, brunumb

(08-30-2020, 01:12 AM)mordant Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 03:41 PM)Cavebear Wrote: But I can tell the difference between theist beliefs connected to the political spectrum left and right.  Liberal theists are basically tortured by the difference between what religion tells them to think and what they know is ethical.  Conservative theists not only have no such difficulties, they can hold conflicting views on both.  Why?  Because they don't actually think much.  

Why?  because "thinking" challenges "belief".  And that makes some sense.  Belief is about "faith", and faith is not challengeable.  The more you "think" about things, the greater the discrepancy between reality and religion.

That's quite accurate. We were taught from the cradle that "mere human reasoning" was a vice and religious faith was a virtue. If you're steeped in that most of your life it does a pretty good job of neutralizing whatever bullshit meter you were born with. We lived in constant fear of being "deceived" by "what seems right to a man, but the way thereof leads to destruction" and similar such warnings.

It's easier to lead the sheeple if they constantly doubt themselves.

Thinking with reason is largely a matter of asking questions.

Religion typically frowns on questioning. Making folks afraid to ask questions is the sine qua non of evangelism no matter its stripe.
Freedom isn't free.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • mordant

Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”