Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aussie Man Charged With Sacrilege...
Big Grin 
Seriously?   In the 21st century, and in a secular democracy?

Adelaide man charged with sacrilege, a crime described as a "throwback to a different time".

An Adelaide man has appeared in court charged with sacrilege, raising questions about whether
such a crime deserves to still be on the books.  Well, of course it shouldn't.  That goes without
saying.

He's been charged with sacrilege as well as the lesser charge of dishonestly taking property
without consent. Sacrilege carries a maximum penalty of life in prison—the same possible
sentence as for murder.

According to Section 167 of the South Australian Criminal Law Consolidation Act 1935, sacrilege
is defined as when a person "breaks and enters into a place of divine worship and commits an
offence" or "breaks out of a place of divine worship after committing an offence".  Dr David Plater,
the deputy director of the South Australian Law Reform Institute, which was created to remove old,
obscure or obsolete laws
from the state's statute books, said crimes such as sacrilege were a
"throwback to a different time".  [so why hasn't he done his job in this case? ]

He said however that there'd be many people in the community who regarded stealing from a place
of worship as "different and distinct" to other thefts. Why I don't know—shouldn't their god be looking
after their stuff?

It's of interest (or not?) that the capital city Adelaide is known colloquially as "the city of churches".
South Australia was firstly settled as a Christian colony, with its settlement being unique in that it was
the only state that was settled by a group of Christians.   One of its founders, George Angas said,
"My great object was to provide a place of refuge for pious dissenters from Great Britain, who could,
in their new home, discharge their consciences before God in civil and religious duties… that South
Australia will become the headquarters for the diffusion of Christianity in the Southern Hemisphere
".

According to the Gospel Community Church web site; "The inspiring story of the founding of South
Australia is an example of God’s diversity within a unity of God’s overall purpose for Australia as a
centre for world evangelism. In seeking religious liberty, the Lutheran Fathers found not only freedom
to worship as their conscience dictated, but material blessings showed upon them by God the Father,
Who is the Giver of every good gift. He blesses man so, like Abraham, he may be a blessing. God
prepared a land and a people for Himself that through Australia He might bless the world. Our prayer
is that God would again fill the Churches of this state with believers who love Jesus Christ and will lay
down their lives for the gospel!"       —Fuck me sideways!

BTW, the numerous, grammatically incorrect capitalisations are the church's fault, not mine.     Tongue
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 5 users Like SYZ's post:
  • brunumb, M.Linoge, Gwaithmir, Little Lunch, Bcat

Quote:According to Section 167 of the South Australian Criminal Law Consolidation Act 1935, sacrilege
is defined as when a person "breaks and enters into a place of divine worship and commits an
offence" or "breaks out of a place of divine worship after committing an offence".

Sounds like Pakistan.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • SYZ

Can you have Cardinal Pell charged under that?
The following 2 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Bcat

As usual religious nuts are their own special snowflakes.  *eye roll*
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus