Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perseid Reminder

Perseid Reminder
Just a reminder that the annual Perseid meteor shower is underway and will peak August 11th to 12th. To observe it just find a good dark sky area with minimal obstruction around the horizon. Meteors can be seen in all parts of the sky and will radiate away from Perseus, though southerly viewing is least favourable. Best viewing times are before midnight when the moon is not yet up. The moon is a waning quarter this year so it won't be too much of a problem. Bring a blanket so you can lie down to minimize neck strain.
The following 8 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • Deesse23, TheGentlemanBastard, Gwaithmir, GenesisNemesis, SYZ, Bcat, mordant, Unsapien

Perseid Reminder
(08-10-2020, 06:26 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: Just a reminder that the annual Perseid meteor shower is underway and will peak August 11th to 12th. To observe it just find a good dark sky area with minimal obstruction around the horizon. Meteors can be seen in all parts of the sky and will radiate away from Perseus, though southerly viewing is least favourable. Best viewing times are before midnight when the moon is not yet up. The moon is a waning quarter this year so it won't be too much of a problem. Bring a blanket so you can lie down to minimize neck strain.

Invariably the skies are never clear when these events happen. And sure enough it's expected to rain here tonight. But thanks for the reminder!!

Perseid Reminder
That's one thing I definitely miss about the sky, I still have my 4 inch refracting telescope in storage, but I haven't used it in years.

I remember dragging it to the farthest place on the farm and sitting in the pitch black for hours looking through it or just laying on a big rock in the field and looking at the sky, the sky is amazing & every night there's always some "shooting stars".

I've gotta pull it out and use it again one of these days.
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard