Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ted Ass Hole Kicked off non-profit board

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/25/politics/...index.html
I was thinking yesterday that Ted Yoho really needs to resign not only his House seat, but from every board (I didn't know what they might be) he is on. No behavior exists in isolation. People who have abusive outbursts towards a woman on the Capital steps, in front of many witnesses, do not exhibit that behavior in isolation. They do it, because that's what they do, and they think it's OK. They're abusive ass-holes. These fossils don't get that the culture has changed, and anyone acting as he did to Ocasio-Cortez would get walked out of virtually any company or non-profit in the country.
The following 10 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dom, brewerb, M.Linoge, GenesisNemesis, Paleophyte, Aroura, Full Circle, Deesse23, Finite Monkeys, julep

The recording of the chump bragging about grabbing women by the pussy energized a lot of people to come back out from under their rocks, sad to say. Dragging those people out into the light is going to take millennia, maybe a thousand of them. 50+ years of a Civil Rights movement isn't going to reduce what a vicious bunch Homo Sap really is. Mores the pity.
The following 7 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Dom, Bucky Ball, brewerb, M.Linoge, Paleophyte, Deesse23, Finite Monkeys

Wrong place, wrong time.

I'll admit I occasionally ( Big Grin ) use f.b., along other expletives, but not a work or similar settings. The fact that he felt OK using it in that setting is what I find disturbing.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

(07-26-2020, 01:04 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/25/politics/...index.html
I was thinking yesterday that Ted Yoho really needs to resign not only his House seat, but from every board (I didn't know what they might be) he is on. No behavior exists in isolation. People who have abusive outbursts towards a woman on the Capital steps, in front of many witnesses, do not exhibit that behavior in isolation. They do it, because that's what they do, and they think it's OK. They're abusive ass-holes. These fossils don't get that the culture has changed, and anyone acting as he did to Ocasio-Cortez would get walked out of virtually any company or non-profit in the country.

In weird way I'm glad he did it. Not only did he, as you say, show his true colors, not only did he give Rep Ocasio-Cortez the opportunity to bitch-slap him into next week, he also showed Americans that this bullshit still is not over.

I doubt he will resign from anything ... but let us hope he is ousted from 'em all.
Freedom isn't free.

But I bet pappy jesus has already forgiven him!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(07-26-2020, 02:50 AM)Minimalist Wrote: But I bet pappy jesus has already forgiven him!

That and three bucks will get him a cuppa joe at Starbucks.
Freedom isn't free.

I don't know if any of you have seen her speech but if you haven't it's worth the 10 minutes watch. 

T4618
The following 5 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Deesse23, trdsf, Thumpalumpacus, mordant, Bucky Ball

I hope I'm still alive when she runs for president just to watch the fascists cringe and whine.
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball, julep

When AOC said that Yoho calling her a f.b. is him allowing that his wife and daughters also be called f.bs, and that AOC needs to defend them from him, after he tried to use them as a shield.....that was one of "those" moments.  Dance

AOC really is a cutthroat bitch. Winking
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 6 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, mordant, Dancefortwo, Old Man Marsh, Bucky Ball, julep

(07-26-2020, 01:04 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: These fossils don't get that the culture has changed, and anyone acting as he did to Ocasio-Cortez would get walked out of virtually any company or non-profit in the country.

Pretty much exactly.  You can't talk to co-workers like that, and that's exactly what he did.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 2 users Like trdsf's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Bucky Ball

(07-26-2020, 05:45 AM)Deesse23 Wrote: When AOC said that Yoho calling her a f.b. is him allowing that his wife and daughters also be called f.bs, and that AOC needs to defend them from him, after he tried to use them as a shield.....that was one of "those" moments.  Dance

AOC really is a cutthroat bitch.  Winking

She knows whereof she speaks, because of the kind of man her father and mentor was.

On his deathbed, he told her, "make me proud." One commenter on Twitter said that was shaming and dysfunctional, and put an unfair burden on her. I replied that context matters. In the context of a mutually loving, respectful father/daughter relationship, it's more a declaration of what he knows is going to be true and a reminder to be strong than a literal command. In the context of an authoritarian, shaming asshole, the implication would be rather different. But I think such comments inadvertently reveal the commenter's own Daddy issue.

AOC is the whole package. Incredibly bright and self aware and self possessed, politically talented, and possessed of great integrity. She has done and said some things I don't personally agree with, but never anything dishonorable or false. And by accident of history she's basically the vanguard of a coming wave of progressive legislators. If it weren't for AOC and people like her, I'd totally despair of our chances to save ourselves from ourselves.
The following 4 users Like mordant's post:
  • Fireball, Deesse23, Bucky Ball, julep

The guy behaved like a dumb and got what he deserved.
Anyway I am not a fan of AOC since she is "opponent" to nuclear power & GMO, 2 formidable weapons for climate change. I think she slightly changed her mind recently on nuclear but I am still looking for politicians worldwide who are at the same time supporter of nuclear power & GMO, liberal, progressive...
The following 2 users Like Ausländer's post:
  • Alan V, Bucky Ball

(07-26-2020, 02:44 PM)Ausländer Wrote: The guy behaved like a dumb and got what he deserved.
Anyway I am not a fan of AOC since she is "opponent" to nuclear power & GMO, 2 formidable weapons for climate change. I think she slightly changed her mind recently on nuclear but I am still looking for politicians worldwide who are at the same time supporter of nuclear power & GMO, liberal, progressive...

I think she has left herself room to compromise on those issues. Both have severe downsides (the problem of nuclear waste disposal and risk of nuclear accident; the unintended consequences of cross-breeding with non-GMO organisms and the holding hostage of farmers to the corporate profit machine through patenting of organisms) and I think there is a basis to at least have significant concerns despite the upsides you cite, that may render those tools unfortuantely less formidable than you might think. But perhaps with proper safeguards they could be a short-term fix, like giving someone a pill for diabetes to give them time to change diet and exercise.

(07-26-2020, 02:50 PM)mordant Wrote: the problem of nuclear waste disposal and risk of nuclear accident; the unintended consequences of cross-breeding with non-GMO organisms and the holding hostage of farmers to the corporate profit machine through patenting of organisms) and I think there is a basis to at least have significant concerns despite the upsides you cite, that may render those tools unfortuantely less formidable than you might think.

Nuclear waste: If you do the math the quantity is so little we can find a solution for that. When you take a decision you need to look for the alternative. My wife is a toxicologist: she can tell you that the same kind of ore you mine for Uranium and for rare elements for wind turbines. The funny things is that if you mine uranium you need to apply "protocol A" for the disposal of the tailings and if you mine the same ore for rareelements you use "protocol B" where B is way more relaxed of A. It is most of the time with nuclear just poor understandings of how the science is. Look at Germany & France. France rely heavily on nuclear for electricity, whereas Germany with 20 years of Energiewende, half a trillion € poured in as subsidies still has a kWh that emits 4-8 time more than the french one, not to mention way higher electricity prices.

The same for GMO: I have a PhD in industrial biotech so I know a couple of things about it. We may agree that licensing is the bggest problem, but technologywise is a safe technology and we do have humungous quantities of data that proof GMO are not worst than no GMO on human health and conversely for the environment GMO perform way better than conventional farming and also of organic farming depending on which indicators you take into account

Really, the debate on GMO and Nuclear has been of such low level of understanding and so ideologically debated that it is hard now to make a proper, decent discussion
The following 1 user Likes Ausländer's post:
  • Vera

I have no opinion on GMO although anything that Monsanto is involved with must be watched like a hawk.  But the issue of nuclear waste cannot be dismissed so easily.

https://www.brainscape.com/blog/2015/06/...-accident/

Quote:Well, radioactivity is a problem that goes away only very slowly. Experts believe that the area around Chernobyl will be habitable again for humans — but not for as many as 20,000 years.

Meanwhile in Japan, the 2011 earthquake and tsunami that touched off the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster have left a lasting legacy. More than 100,000 people remain evacuated from the region surrounding the plant, as officials work to contain radioactivity and decommission the plant — a process they estimate could take decades. Much of the contaminated land will also be uninhabitable for at least 20-40 years.

20,000 years is a long time.  20,000 years ago was 18,000 BC and people were chipping flint to make tools.

For the record the US has been on-again/off-again on the Yucca Mountain Storage Facility since Reagan - it still does not exist.  Meanwhile we have no clue what to do with all that shit and, consider this a prediction, we won't until there is a catastrophe because that is what 'Murrica has been reduced to.
This is not just a scientific problem.  It's a political problem.
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, skyking

(07-26-2020, 03:31 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I have no opinion on GMO although anything that Monsanto is involved with must be watched like a hawk.  But the issue of nuclear waste cannot be dismissed so easily.

https://www.brainscape.com/blog/2015/06/...-accident/

Quote:Well, radioactivity is a problem that goes away only very slowly. Experts believe that the area around Chernobyl will be habitable again for humans — but not for as many as 20,000 years.

Meanwhile in Japan, the 2011 earthquake and tsunami that touched off the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster have left a lasting legacy. More than 100,000 people remain evacuated from the region surrounding the plant, as officials work to contain radioactivity and decommission the plant — a process they estimate could take decades. Much of the contaminated land will also be uninhabitable for at least 20-40 years.

20,000 years is a long time.  20,000 years ago was 18,000 BC and people were chipping flint to make tools.

For the record the US has been on-again/off-again on the Yucca Mountain Storage Facility since Reagan - it still does not exist.  Meanwhile we have no clue what to do with all that shit and, consider this a prediction, we won't until there is a catastrophe because that is what 'Murrica has been reduced to.
This is not just a scientific problem.  It's a political problem.

Yes monsanto i a greedy corporation and we need to look what they do. Anyway as my wife is a toxicologist she looked very, very deep into the infamous gliphosate and siscovered is not infamous nor dangerous (when properly used). Conversely, law firms "extorted" money out of Bayer in the last case. Law firms bribed the IARC to classify the Gliphosate as cancirogenic (and it is not according to the data) and then used the IARC report to extort money.
If anyone want to learn more on gliphosate, bayer and cancer scandal I suggest to read the full story from a Belgian professor I know and that he studied hard the subject exposing the scandal. https://risk-monger.com/category/glyphosate/

For nuclear: the waste is high or low radioactive. The high radioactive since is highly radioactive means that decay quite quickly, and the quantity prodiced is very little. It is easy resolve the problem politically but no politician want to do it (NIMBY effect)

Low radioactive material it is in larger quantities (gloves of phisicians that handled medical isotopes etc) is radioactive for very long time but the quantity emitted is very little, thus it is possible to access. 
Regarding radiation: since it is "not visible" it is dificult for people to really understand it and assessing the risk, though it is possible with dosimeters etc. A popular tourist destination in Italy is Orvieto (lavishingly decorated bypopes through histiry, not far from Rome and with very good white wine), and in Orvieto the background radiation from the rocks is higher than in Fukushima exclusion zone, but people live there from centuries...
Nuclear really suffers bad propaganda...

I agree about the wine.  Orvieto is one of the few white wines I'll actually bother drinking.

And yes, Chernobyl and Three Mile Island and Fukushima will get you bad press.

The Diablo Canyon plant in California was built near the San Andreas fault.  People are so clever, eh?
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • skyking

(07-26-2020, 04:08 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I agree about the wine.  Orvieto is one of the few white wines I'll actually bother drinking.

And yes, Chernobyl and Three Mile Island and Fukushima will get you bad press.

The Diablo Canyon plant in California was built near the San Andreas fault.  People are so clever, eh?

It's actually the Hosgri fault. Diablo is about 75 miles from the San Andreas. It's still a stupid place for a reactor. Regarding the danger of low-strength radiation emissions, I'm no physicist but I'm pretty sure those can cause mutations in animals and people too.

[Image: Big1Tectonics.jpg]
Freedom isn't free.

(07-26-2020, 04:08 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I agree about the wine.  Orvieto is one of the few white wines I'll actually bother drinking.

I am a white supremacist. Out of 10 bottles I open for me 9 at least are white Wink
The following 2 users Like Ausländer's post:
  • Vera, Minimalist

(07-26-2020, 02:33 PM)mordant Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 05:45 AM)Deesse23 Wrote: When AOC said that Yoho calling her a f.b. is him allowing that his wife and daughters also be called f.bs, and that AOC needs to defend them from him, after he tried to use them as a shield.....that was one of "those" moments.  Dance

AOC really is a cutthroat bitch.  Winking

She knows whereof she speaks, because of the kind of man her father and mentor was.

On his deathbed, he told her, "make me proud." One commenter on Twitter said that was shaming and dysfunctional, and put an unfair burden on her. I replied that context matters. In the context of a mutually loving, respectful father/daughter relationship, it's more a declaration of what he knows is going to be true and a reminder to be strong than a literal command. In the context of an authoritarian, shaming asshole, the implication would be rather different. But I think such comments inadvertently reveal the commenter's own Daddy issue.

AOC is the whole package. Incredibly bright and self aware and self possessed, politically talented, and possessed of great integrity. She has done and said some things I don't personally agree with, but never anything dishonorable or false. And by accident of history she's basically the vanguard of a coming wave of progressive legislators. If it weren't for AOC and people like her, I'd totally despair of our chances to save ourselves from ourselves.

Totally agree, aside from her political position, she is the kinda person, kinda politician, kinda leader, leader by example (a country like) the US needs. Tbh, you should clone her and send a copy.
R.I.P. Hannes

(07-26-2020, 04:23 PM)Ausländer Wrote:

I am a white supremacist. Out of 10 bottles I open for me 9 at least are white Wink

Looks like i am a native american then. Blush Winking
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • Fireball

(07-26-2020, 05:18 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: Looks like i am a native american then.  Blush  Winking

10 minuts from where I live they make one of the best Lemberger in Italy if you like red...

(07-26-2020, 04:23 PM)Ausländer Wrote: I am a white supremacist. Out of 10 bottles I open for me 9 at least are white Wink

And the tenth a rosé?  Angel

[Image: 00b86c6c18cd3534569468ff591eac6a.gif]

(I'm with you. Actually, I find red wine kinda undrinkable, tastewise...)
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

(07-26-2020, 04:23 PM)Ausländer Wrote:

I love Italian and French reds... although French Pouilly-Fuissé and Chardonnay and Greek Santorini will also pass muster with flying colors.

(07-26-2020, 05:32 PM)Ausländer Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 05:18 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: Looks like i am a native american then.  Blush  Winking

10 minuts from where I live they make one of the best Lemberger in Italy if you like red...
*ads Lemberger on his bucket list*

Wiki says something about acid. Hope it does not have a lot of acid.
R.I.P. Hannes