Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard times.

Hard times.
The Y-donor never finished the sixth grade. He wasn't exactly a great prospect as a father. Getting to hard times: When I was in the second grade he had a job working under the table for a local appliance company, installing gas lines mostly. For this he got $50 cash, no taxes, no benefits. That was feed, clothe, and house a family of five.

BUT I didn't know we were broke. I knew most kids lined up to buy their books at the local general store, but Mom went to the school to get ours.
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  

Hard times.
(07-25-2020, 10:27 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The Y-donor never finished the sixth grade. He wasn't exactly a great prospect as a father. Getting to hard times: When I was in the second grade he had a job working under the table for a local appliance company, installing gas lines mostly. For this he got $50 cash, no taxes, no benefits. That was feed, clothe, and house a family of five.

BUT I didn't know we were broke. I knew most kids lined up to buy their books at the local general store, but Mom went to the school to get ours.

Yabut, 274 years ago, fifty bucks was a king's ransom.
Freedom isn't free.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • SYZ

Hard times.
That sucks.  

My mom brought home our “new” clothes in trash bags...what she’d been able to find from donations from the rich, snooty christians who set my dad’s salary at a poverty level.  Donated, stale, near moldy bread in our freezer, donated car with holes in the floor so we could watch the road go by.   (But at least we had a car)

I didn’t know we were broke at first, but my classmates and Sunday schoolmates were only too happy to fill me in...

Annoying thing is my father gave up a job at Johns Hopkins so that his family could be dirt poor for a decade while he followed his dream of serving the lord.
god, ugh
The following 1 user Likes julep's post:
  • SYZ

Hard times.
(07-25-2020, 11:12 PM)julep Wrote: Annoying thing is my father gave up a job at Johns Hopkins so that his family could be dirt poor for a decade while he followed his dream of serving the lord.

That's about as bad as "making it in music".
Freedom isn't free.