Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sleeping beeuties

Sleeping beeuties
I guess I never really thought about it, but apparently bees not only sleep (between 5 and 8 hours), but they (or some of them) even do it in flowers Heart

"Bees are often found sleeping on flowers, but they buzz away as soon as they encounter some perturbation. This causes us to strike off the characteristics of immobility and relaxed posture. Research has shown that while asleep, a bee’s body temperature declines and it takes a brighter light to wake them up than the intensity of light to which they would usually respond.

This sort of behavior resembles our own sleeping habits. However, unlike humans, not every bee illustrates a circadian rhythm. The variance is introduced depending on the role of a bee in a hive. Only the older ones, formally known as Forager bees, tend to sleep at night. Whereas, a worker bee, known as a Callow, may take abrupt, irregular ephemeral naps throughout the entire day. They lack a fixed pattern.

This is because forager bees lack the effusive energy that worker bees possess to work unceasingly, due to infirmity. Diligent worker bees, however, only require small power naps to get through their day. Other than a circadian pattern, napping bees also demonstrate sleep phases, such as relaxed, light and deep sleep.

Because forager bees must indulge in relatively long, undisturbed deep sleep, they tend to sleep on the fringes or perimeter of the hive, away from the chaos in the center. Worker bees participating in light sleep phases, on the other hand, do not hesitate to sleep in the center with other worker bees."

[Image: bees-sleeping-flower-nature-wildlife-pho...9__700.jpg]

[Image: bees-sleeping-flower-nature-wildlife-pho...2__700.jpg]

[Image: rpuhgUk_d.webp?maxwidth=728&fidelity=grand]

[Image: avzLwjE_700b.jpg]

[Image: 21558020432_f84ed6f329_b.jpg]

[Image: 1200x675-phptwxBOi.jpeg]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

Sleeping beeuties
Have you heard about the halloween bees?

Some refer to them as the boo bees.
The following 3 users Like no one's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Fireball, brewerb

Sleeping beeuties
(07-23-2020, 05:24 PM)no one Wrote: Have you heard about the halloween bees?

Some refer to them as the boo bees.

Oh dear.  Facepalm
                                                         T4618

Sleeping beeuties
The older I get the more I sleep ... makes sense.
Freedom isn't free.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Sleeping beeuties
A 19 year old Barbra Streisand sang about sleeping bees in her first ever TV appearance in 1961.  I guess she knew something about bees that sleep.   Smile

T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Mark, skyking

Sleeping beeuties
I've often enough seen bumble bees asleep in flowers in the morning before they start work. Maybe one of these times I'll get a photo.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 2 users Like Mark's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dancefortwo

Sleeping beeuties
(07-23-2020, 05:19 PM)Vera Wrote: [Image: rpuhgUk_d.webp?maxwidth=728&fidelity=grand]

The money shot.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 2 users Like Mark's post:
  • Fireball, skyking

Sleeping beeuties
(07-23-2020, 07:44 PM)Mark Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 05:19 PM)Vera Wrote: [Image: rpuhgUk_d.webp?maxwidth=728&fidelity=grand]

The money shot.

ROFL2  It's like when the dog is really tired and only makes it part way into the bed.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Mark, skyking

Sleeping beeuties
I wonder if they bee-snore ?
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Fireball

Sleeping beeuties
(07-23-2020, 11:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: I wonder if they bee-snore ?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Vera

Sleeping beeuties
(07-23-2020, 05:19 PM)Vera Wrote: [Image: bees-sleeping-flower-nature-wildlife-pho...9__700.jpg]

[Image: bees-sleeping-flower-nature-wildlife-pho...2__700.jpg]

[Image: rpuhgUk_d.webp?maxwidth=728&fidelity=grand]

[Image: avzLwjE_700b.jpg]

[Image: 21558020432_f84ed6f329_b.jpg]

[Image: 1200x675-phptwxBOi.jpeg]

Looks like Anne Geddes has got some competition.
No gods necessary
The following 3 users Like brunumb's post:
  • Aliza, Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus

Sleeping beeuties
This guy looks like he went on a three day drunk and fell over in a druken stooper into the flower.  

[Image: 2yyk75drmye41.jpg]

Are those his bees-knees that I'm seeing there?   Sure looks like it.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Deesse23

Sleeping beeuties
(07-23-2020, 11:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: I wonder if they bee-snore ?

And, more importantly, do they dream of electric flowers Angel2

As for the BUMblebee in the crocus, while looking for pictures, I came across "Tired Bumblebees Who Fell Asleep Inside Flowers With Pollen On Their Butts"  Girl_yes2

[Image: tired-bumblebees2.jpg]

[Image: tired-bumblebees6.jpg?iv=157]

[Image: tired-bumblebees3.jpg?iv=157]

[Image: tired-bumblebees7.jpg]

[Image: tired-bumblebees13.jpg]

[Image: tired-bumblebees10.jpg]

[Image: tired-bumblebees12.jpg]

[Image: tired-bumblebees15.jpg]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 5 users Like Vera's post:
  • Fireball, Dancefortwo, Deesse23, Thumpalumpacus, brunumb

Sleeping beeuties
Love the pics everybody! I took a pic of a bumble this spring who did not make it, but I set him somewhere safe in case he was just stunned. Love the bumbles.
[Image: bumble1.jpg]
The following 4 users Like skyking's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus, brunumb, Vera

Sleeping beeuties
(07-24-2020, 05:01 PM)skyking Wrote: Love the pics everybody! I took a pic of a bumble this spring who did not make it, but I set him somewhere safe in case he was just stunned. Love the bumbles.

Not sure I've seen bumblebees around here. Plenty of honeybees though (and wasps, I like wasps too, there just as important as pollinators, too!). So cute, seeing them gather around the first flowers in spring, all eager to work  Heart

And so hard to photograph as they never stay still! Here's some of my own photos and videos (I've become a veritable paparazzo when it comes to bees  Big Grin )

[Image: Good-037.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20200312-132642.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20200602-133819.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20200602-133925.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20200626-150444-1.jpg]

The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Dancefortwo, skyking

Sleeping beeuties
(07-23-2020, 07:34 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: The older I get the more I sleep ... makes sense.

I can no longer get through a day without a nap after lunch.  Bedtime2
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

Sleeping beeuties
(07-27-2020, 10:01 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote: ... I can no longer get through a day without a nap after lunch ...

I keep having to interrupt my naps to get up to go to bed for the night  Tongue
The following 2 users Like airportkid's post:
  • skyking, Finite Monkeys

Sleeping beeuties
I rarely nap.
Freedom isn't free.
  • Fireball

Sleeping beeuties
(07-28-2020, 01:21 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I rarely nap.

Postprandial somnolence is cured by caffeine.  Thumbs Up After dinner I don't care, but after lunch, I want to fight it off. Life is too short.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Sleeping beeuties
(07-28-2020, 01:59 AM)Fireball Wrote:
(07-28-2020, 01:21 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I rarely nap.

Postprandial somnolence is cured by caffeine.  Thumbs Up After dinner I don't care, but after lunch, I want to fight it off. Life is too short.

I feel you. I resent sleep, as a waste of the limited time I have here.
Freedom isn't free.
  • Fireball

Sleeping beeuties
The Sleepy Bee, in Cincinnati. Shy

[Image: sleepy-bee-downtown-cincinnati-interior.jpg]

I'm detecting a distinct lack of flower beds, tho! Consider
[Image: adoplu242c8.png]
The following 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus