Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The comet Neowise

The comet Neowise
Has anyone gone out to see the comet?  We drove down to the Columbia river where there aren't as many lights and saw it last night.  They say it's visible to the naked eye but I guess my eyes are wearing clothes because I couldn't see it that way, I had to use binoculars. It's pretty cool.  I think's it'll be up there for another day or two. 

Weird name though.  

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/how-to-see-comet-neowise/

[Image: 9e22b044-396a-4ca4-a6c1-d516365b6f8f-VPC...A_WIDE.jpg]
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Bcat, skyking, Alan V

The comet Neowise
I haven’t seen it, but would’ve loved to. I love stargazing, astronomy etc.
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • Dancefortwo

The comet Neowise
I haven't gone out to see it but I've seen some amazing photos taken by locals. I believe it's going to be visible to us earthlings until the end of July or so.
I remember the Hale-Bopp comet in the late 90s. It's a neat feeling to look up and realize how tiny and insignificant we really are.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • Dancefortwo

The comet Neowise
Find the Big Dipper, then look below the northernmost star of that, about halfway to the horizon. I will go confirm that position tonight. I could tell it was not a star, but could not really appreciate the tail without binoculars.
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • Dancefortwo

The comet Neowise
I have a 4 foot long mailing tube that my photographic binoculars may fit in. I'll have to check it out, as that long a tube will cut a lot of the sky glow down.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Dancefortwo, skyking

The comet Neowise
I have gone out, but I haven't (with certainty) seen it naked eye. There's a very good chance it's in one of the RAW files on my camera. Fingers crossed.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 1 user Likes trdsf's post:
  • Dancefortwo

The comet Neowise
any old binoculars will do. I am using some really old small ones.

The comet Neowise
We've been pretty overcast in the evenings here lately.
Freedom isn't free.