Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Would Jesus Infect?

Who Would Jesus Infect?
Churches being socially irresponsible - as always.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/health...4fe673bc68

Quote:Parents frustrated when several kids test positive for coronavirus after summer church camp

Quote:The church deleted photos from the summer camp that they had posted on their Facebook page. Those photos and videos showed dozens of students shoulder to shoulder, not social distancing.
“We found out later from my daughter that they considered their small group 40, which was how many were in her cabin,” Brady said. “So when they were with those 40 girls, they didn’t have to social distance, they didn’t have to wear masks, to me that is not a small group.”
Brady is frustrated by a lack of communication from the church as many families learned about campers testing positive.

Does not augur well schools to reopen like Fuckface wants.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • M.Linoge

Who Would Jesus Infect?
I'll bet a lot of older teachers around the country are retiring early.
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • M.Linoge, Bcat

Who Would Jesus Infect?
(07-20-2020, 03:28 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Churches being socially irresponsible - as always.

Quote:Parents frustrated when several kids test positive for coronavirus after summer church camp

Quote:The church deleted photos from the summer camp that they had posted on their Facebook page. Those photos and videos showed dozens of students shoulder to shoulder, not social distancing.
“We found out later from my daughter that they considered their small group 40, which was how many were in her cabin,” Brady said. “So when they were with those 40 girls, they didn’t have to social distance, they didn’t have to wear masks, to me that is not a small group.”
Brady is frustrated by a lack of communication from the church as many families learned about campers testing positive.

I guess prayer ain't all it's cracked up to be.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Bcat

Who Would Jesus Infect?
If he gets to cure them also, then everyone. It's a win win. No schlepping around to find a leper or blind guy.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

Who Would Jesus Infect?
I shouldn't be surprised with everything going on, that people who believe in God, act like he'll fix everything. We atheists are still waiting, wait we know it will never happen.
The following 2 users Like Tomatoshadow2's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, M.Linoge

Who Would Jesus Infect?
(07-21-2020, 05:11 AM)Tomatoshadow2 Wrote: I shouldn't be surprised with everything going on, that people who believe in God, act like he'll fix everything.

... as they occupy ICUs because those prayers just ain't workin' ...
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Bcat, SYZ

Who Would Jesus Infect?
(07-21-2020, 05:11 AM)Tomatoshadow2 Wrote: I shouldn't be surprised with everything going on, that people who believe in God, act like he'll fix everything. We atheists are still waiting, wait we know it will never happen.

Odd isn't it that no god humans have ever worshiped has ever done shit?

It's almost like the made the whole idea up!

Who Would Jesus Infect?
(07-21-2020, 05:15 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(07-21-2020, 05:11 AM)Tomatoshadow2 Wrote: I shouldn't be surprised with everything going on, that people who believe in God, act like he'll fix everything.

... as they occupy ICUs because those prayers just ain't workin' ...

Yeah, they aren't praying hard enough, like they tell every atheist.

(07-21-2020, 05:41 AM)Minimalist Wrote:
(07-21-2020, 05:11 AM)Tomatoshadow2 Wrote: I shouldn't be surprised with everything going on, that people who believe in God, act like he'll fix everything. We atheists are still waiting, wait we know it will never happen.

Odd isn't it that no god humans have ever worshiped has ever done shit?

It's almost like the made the whole idea up!

Right, just makes the believers so mad, that atheists are giving them doubt about their God.

Who Would Jesus Infect?
[Image: 111225050_3636383889755537_4226598924561...e=5F3A5C46]
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 1 user Likes M.Linoge's post:
  • Bcat

Who Would Jesus Infect?
(07-21-2020, 08:34 AM)M.Linoge Wrote: [Image: 111225050_3636383889755537_4226598924561...e=5F3A5C46]
Yeah, I don't have faith in your imaginary friend.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Who Would Jesus Infect?
So this failed failed Republican congressional candidate—who lost her bid to unseat Nancy Pelosi—is
turning her attention to what’s happening Downunder, specifically in Victoria.

"Australians aren’t allowed to even leave their own homes for 6 plus weeks? Police put a ‘ring of steel’ around
the city, with ‘checkpoints anytime anywhere’ to enforce the measures? SICK. Fight this people!"  She labelled
Victoria's COVID-19 rules 'total enslavement'."

Of course this is total bullshit.  We can leave our homes any time we want—for medical treatment,
supermarket shopping, banks and post offices, pharmacists, take away food, cycling and running, using
cabs or public transport, attending work places etc.

Meanwhile, in one single day in California last week, there were 11,694 new cases recorded. That’s close
to the highest daily increase for any US state.  And she calls our  coronavirus response draconian?

—BTW, I'd never trust a politician with no surname.   What's she hiding?     Dodgy
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Who Would Jesus Infect?
In my old church, if someone got Covid during in person church services it would be because they didn't truly believe in Jesus, because God works in mysterious ways, God is trying to teach the world (or them) a lesson due to the overwhelming sin that infiltrates it, God didn't want robots so he let free will enter the world via sin and as such his hands are tied when it comes to helping, God gave someone illness/disease so they could grow closer to him. etc etc   Additionally, even though tons of church goers would have died, families wiped out, the emphasis would be placed on God's holy miraculous ways that he allowed others to survive.  Putting parishioners at risk (who then put the entire community at risk) and guilting these parishioners into attending in person church services--yet another of the multitudes of reasons as to why religion is dangerous.
The following 4 users Like Bcat's post:
  • Fireball, mordant, M.Linoge, brunumb

Who Would Jesus Infect?
(07-20-2020, 03:28 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Churches being socially irresponsible - as always.

In my experience and observation, churches have little real clue WTF they are doing in running things like camps.

As a pre-teen, I went to a church summer camp for a week each summer. One year they took us on a hike to a campsite in the woods. We roasted hot dogs over a camp fire and I got violently ill from that. I was left to puke it out in my sleeping bag and got no medical attention whatsoever. I came home two days later with a tick fastened to my nether regions, doubtless from that same frolic in the woods, and began having severe join pain shortly after. It was misdiagnosed for years as juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, but eventually a smart doctor nailed it as Lyme Disease, and cured it with an extensive regimen of antibiotics. But not before it cost me years of hobbling around on crutches with constant low grade fevers.

My parents and I never connected this with the camping excursion until much later, such was our sense that nothing bad could POSSIBLY happen as a result of godly activities among godly people. It really IS like an alternate reality.
The following 5 users Like mordant's post:
  • Bcat, M.Linoge, brunumb, Aroura, Unsapien

Who Would Jesus Infect?
(07-21-2020, 06:07 PM)mordant Wrote:

In my experience and observation, churches have little real clue WTF they are doing in running things like camps.

As a pre-teen, I went to a church summer camp for a week each summer. One year they took us on a hike to a campsite in the woods. We roasted hot dogs over a camp fire and I got violently ill from that. I was left to puke it out in my sleeping bag and got no medical attention whatsoever. I came home two days later with a tick fastened to my nether regions, doubtless from that same frolic in the woods, and began having severe join pain shortly after. It was misdiagnosed for years as juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, but eventually a smart doctor nailed it as Lyme Disease, and cured it with an extensive regimen of antibiotics. But not before it cost me years of hobbling around on crutches with constant low grade fevers.

My parents and I never connected this with the camping excursion until much later, such was our sense that nothing bad could POSSIBLY happen as a result of godly activities among godly people. It really IS like an alternate reality.

Ticks are God's love bite  Tongue
  • mordant, Fireball, M.Linoge, TheGentlemanBastard

Who Would Jesus Infect?
(07-21-2020, 06:07 PM)mordant Wrote:

I've had similar experiences that were just as nuts in terms of church activities.  At age 6 at a church happening, a parishioner decided it was appropriate to read the lovely biblical story about God sending the angel of death and killing all of the first born of the Egyptians to a group of 6 year olds.  I had nightmares for months after that.  Of course, when I told everyone that's what my nightmares were about, they said I must have misunderstood the story and got scared.  WTF.  That is the story.
  • M.Linoge, Alan V, Inkubus, Dancefortwo

Who Would Jesus Infect?
(07-21-2020, 06:14 PM)Bcat Wrote: I've had similar experiences that were just as nuts in terms of church activities.  At age 6 at a church happening, a parishioner decided it was appropriate to read the lovely biblical story about God sending the angel of death and killing all of the first born of the Egyptians to a group of 6 year olds.  I had nightmares for months after that.  Of course, when I told everyone that's what my nightmares were about, they said I must have misunderstood the story and got scared.  WTF.  That is the story.

It is important to always prime the child with the sure knowledge that this is what happens to evil, bad, faithless, unbelievers, and can NEVER happen to the child. That is the way I took those stories: the stupid Egyptians didn't obey god, and were punished accordingly. As a child of privileged, special knowledge, that could not happen to little ol' ME.

Of course none of this changes the fact that children under the age of about 10 have a well-known difficulty separating fact from fantasy; that is why we don't let them watch scary movies. So it is possible for any young child to be terrorized ... not just by the Bible, but by Grimm's Fairy Tales for that matter. My daughter, at age 6, had nightmares for a long time about the story of Rumplestilskin, told to her in 1st grade. She was terrified that a little man would creep into her room and take her from her family in the dead of night.

I had Words with the school about that but No One Else Had Complained Yet so all I got from it was an agreement that my daughter could be excused from any story she was uncomfortable with, which simply substituted one problem for another. Thankfully to my knowledge nothing problematic ever came up after that.
The following 3 users Like mordant's post:
  • Bcat, Minimalist, M.Linoge

Who Would Jesus Infect?
(07-21-2020, 06:23 PM)mordant Wrote:
(07-21-2020, 06:14 PM)Bcat Wrote: I've had similar experiences that were just as nuts in terms of church activities.  At age 6 at a church happening, a parishioner decided it was appropriate to read the lovely biblical story about God sending the angel of death and killing all of the first born of the Egyptians to a group of 6 year olds.  I had nightmares for months after that.  Of course, when I told everyone that's what my nightmares were about, they said I must have misunderstood the story and got scared.  WTF.  That is the story.

It is important to always prime the child with the sure knowledge that this is what happens to evil, bad, faithless, unbelievers, and can NEVER happen to the child. That is the way I took those stories: the stupid Egyptians didn't obey god, and were punished accordingly. As a child of privileged, special knowledge, that could not happen to little ol' ME.

Of course none of this changes the fact that children under the age of about 10 have a well-known difficulty separating fact from fantasy; that is why we don't let them watch scary movies. So it is possible for any young child to be terrorized ... not just by the Bible, but by Grimm's Fairy Tales for that matter. My daughter, at age 6, had nightmares for a long time about the story of Rumplestilskin, told to her in 1st grade. She was terrified that a little man would creep into her room and take her from her family in the dead of night.

I had Words with the school about that but No One Else Had Complained Yet so all I got from it was an agreement that my daughter could be excused from any story she was uncomfortable with, which simply substituted one problem for another. Thankfully to my knowledge nothing problematic ever came up after that.

Yep, I read Grimm's, the older version, which is even more explicitly cruel, when I was 10. Then I read the bible. I decided then that they were in the same category and filed them both away. Over the decades, the Grimm's stories were smoothed out and less cruel, but the old versions were rather nasty. And so is the bible.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Bcat, mordant

Who Would Jesus Infect?
(07-21-2020, 06:23 PM)mordant Wrote: It is important to always prime the child with the sure knowledge that this is what happens to evil, bad, faithless, unbelievers, and can NEVER happen to the child. That is the way I took those stories: the stupid Egyptians didn't obey god, and were punished accordingly. As a child of privileged, special knowledge, that could not happen to little ol' ME.

Which is, arguably, even worse. Scaring someone, however bad, is still preferable to not only instilling a rather strong us vs. them mentality (which we're already saddled with to being with) but to actually teach them it's ok something bad happened to "them" because "they" were asking for it or deserved it.

They'd either grow up with little compassion for "others" or assume that everything bad that happens to them, themselves, is their own fault. Or possibly both.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 4 users Like Vera's post:
  • Bcat, M.Linoge, Dom, mordant

Who Would Jesus Infect?
I love that "bondage" stories. God can't tell Jews from Egyptians, so ya got splatter blood over your door.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • M.Linoge

Who Would Jesus Infect?
"God" seems to have some obvious limitations for a ...... "god."
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Bcat

Who Would Jesus Infect?
(07-21-2020, 05:36 PM)Bcat Wrote: In my old church, if someone got Covid during in person church services it would be because they didn't truly believe in Jesus, because God works in mysterious ways, God is trying to teach the world (or them) a lesson due to the overwhelming sin that infiltrates it, God didn't want robots so he let free will enter the world via sin and as such his hands are tied when it comes to helping, God gave someone illness/disease so they could grow closer to him. etc etc   Additionally, even though tons of church goers would have died, families wiped out, the emphasis would be placed on God's holy miraculous ways that he allowed others to survive.  Putting parishioners at risk (who then put the entire community at risk) and guilting these parishioners into attending in person church services--yet another of the multitudes of reasons as to why religion is dangerous.

"And the righteous shall be spared and inherit the Earth." (paraphrased) 

It's the same evil, narcissist-inspiring idea behind Noah's arc, Soddom & Gomorra and many more. 
If a disasters hits and you are left standing, that's because you are better than the riff raff god righteously wiped out. 
I really don't  see comfort in this view. If I'm in a pile-up and my wife dies and it's explained to me that I survived because god loves me more, that's not comfort; it's shameless ego-stroking. Even worse if god kills her just to bring me closer to him. Or kills her to teach me some kind of lesson. "Sanctity of life"? Riiiight.
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 3 users Like M.Linoge's post:
  • Bcat, Vera, Minimalist

Who Would Jesus Infect?
After infecting people with a disgusting cannibal eating ceremony and cursing out some fig trees he'd flip the tables over and chase people around with whips.  

Girl_devil
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Fireball

Who Would Jesus Infect?
My cousins aren't as big a problem as they used to be, when there was more of them.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Who Would Jesus Infect?
(07-21-2020, 07:55 PM)Vera Wrote:
(07-21-2020, 06:23 PM)mordant Wrote: It is important to always prime the child with the sure knowledge that this is what happens to evil, bad, faithless, unbelievers, and can NEVER happen to the child. That is the way I took those stories: the stupid Egyptians didn't obey god, and were punished accordingly. As a child of privileged, special knowledge, that could not happen to little ol' ME.

Which is, arguably, even worse. Scaring someone, however bad, is still preferable to not only instilling a rather strong us vs. them mentality (which we're already saddled with to being with) but to actually teach them it's ok something bad happened to "them" because "they" were asking for it or deserved it.

They'd either grow up with little compassion for "others" or assume that everything bad that happens to them, themselves, is their own fault. Or possibly both.

When I have spoken, now and again, about spending years prying theistic notions out of my head with a crowbar, that is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Fortunately on some level I understood that it was fucked up and it made me uneasy, but for a long time I just didn't know anything else. Also, the fiction that the ruler of heaven and earth has you in his back pocket is quite addictive, and getting away from that notion is definitely a short-term loss. Also, it's a blow to one's ego: the stark fact that you are of no importance at all, that you're not special and chosen and living out a plan prepared from the beginning of time ... that's no fun realization when you are taught from the cradle that these things are so.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Bcat, Vera

Who Would Jesus Infect?
I think roughly 2.3 billion are already infected.