Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell's Teapot

Russell's Teapot
(07-19-2020, 01:36 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I like using an Invisible Donut orbiting Jupiter instead of a Teapot.  I like tea but donuts are pretty good tasting.

Jupiter has a system of torus (ie, donut) rings orbiting it, all of which are invisible to the human eye here on Earth.
"To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today." - Isaac Asimov
The following 2 users Like Reltzik's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus

Russell's Teapot
(07-19-2020, 02:03 AM)Cavebear Wrote: ... sometimes, I go really wild and have chocolate milk with Vanilla extract ...

Four teaspoons Guittard unsweetened Red Dutch powdered cocoa

Sweetener to taste (artificial or sugar)

Splash of Torani's French Vanilla syrup (or Hazelnut)

Whisk in boiling water in a large soup mug

Heavy whipping cream to preferred tint

Add boiling water to brim

Give it a few minutes to properly "age" (cool)

Heaven  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Russell's Teapot
(07-19-2020, 01:53 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 01:36 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I like using an Invisible Donut orbiting Jupiter instead of a Teapot.  I like tea but donuts are pretty good tasting.

Have you ever dunked your donuts in some tea?

ETA:No, you pervs, that ain't code-speak.

I'm not a dunker of donuts.  You get donut crumbs in whatever liquid you're dunking it in and they're all floating around the cup like Russell's Teapot floats around Mars.  Ick.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Russell's Teapot
.......... and therefore, god is Chinese.

Russell's Teapot
It's quite simple.

Knock knock!
Who's there?
The Mormons!
FUCKOFF!
Okay then ...

Works every time.
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org

Russell's Teapot
Russell's teapot, in its fullest form, is perhaps most useful in showing why falsifiability is so important.  It's particularly useful when theists think a lack of falsifiability is a strength rather than a weakness.  In some cases, the point may be made a bit more clearly by bringing it back down to Earth, so to speak.  My attempt to do so is with the rigged chess match scenario that I describe in another thread.

Quote: Imagine that we're observing a chess match between two players named Rick and Bill.  Let's say that the game was actually rigged in Bill's favor, so that no possible sequence of moves could ever result in a loss for Bill.  Never mind the logistics.  Just assume for the sake of argument that it can be done.  When Rick eventually loses, as he inevitably must in such a rigged match, what can we conclude about the comparative aptitude of the two players?  The answer: absolutely nothing.  It's entirely possible that Rick was the better player whose superior skill was masked by Bill's cheating.  It's also possible that Bill was the better player who would've won with or without any foul play.  We can't know or even make any reasonably confident guesses one way or the other.
The only sacred truth in science is that there are no sacred truths. - Carl Sagan
Ἡ μόνη ἱερᾱ̀ ἀληθείᾱ ἐν τῇ φυσικῇ φιλοσοφίᾳ ἐστὶν ἡ ἱερῶν ἀληθειῶν σπάνις. - Κᾱ́ρολος Σήγανος

The following 2 users Like Glossophile's post:
  • Dom, Dānu