Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cookout time!

Cookout time!
It's time for our annual 4th of July cookout. It's a little after 8, and I just put 22 lbs. of pork shoulders in the smoker. Early tomorrow morning I'll be adding 6 racks of ribs and some sausages. My brother in law is doing a couple of briskets. There will also be potato salad, coleslaw, corn on the cob, some other stuff, and pecan pie. Plan is to eat around noon. 

Things will be different this year. Instead of everyone coming here we will be delivering, and everyone will eat at home.  Sadsmiley
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
The following 3 users Like PopeyesPappy's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Thumpalumpacus, Aroura

Cookout time!
I'm a lazy guy. I bought a rack of baby backs from CostCo, which is what's for dinner tonight. I also bought lamb loin chops for tomorrow's dinner. I ain't going anywhere on the 4th.  Dodgy
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Aroura

Cookout time!
(07-04-2020, 01:18 AM)PopeyesPappy Wrote: It's time for our annual 4th of July cookout. It's a little after 8, and I just put 22 lbs. of pork shoulders in the smoker...

Am I reading that correctly mate?  22 fucking pounds is 10 kilograms of meat.  
My family wouldn't eat that much meat in a year LOL.

[Image: t_spind_003-2fa7c5584f38fb26a93cf48b2fe4ecac.png]

—From Downunder.      Sun
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Aroura

Cookout time!
Got the basic hot dogs, cole slaw, and potato salad ready to go. Happy 4th. For all our faults this is a great country. May we do a better job of living up to our ideals.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Aroura

Cookout time!
Do you deliver to Oregon?
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • PopeyesPappy, Fireball, Aroura

Cookout time!
(07-04-2020, 01:36 AM)SYZ Wrote: Am I reading that correctly mate?  22 fucking pounds is 10 kilograms of meat.  
My family wouldn't eat that much meat in a year LOL.

By the time we add the brisket, ribs, and sausages it will probably be closer to 20 kilos. We are feeding a couple dozen people though, and there will be left overs.
The following 3 users Like PopeyesPappy's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, SYZ, Aroura

Cookout time!
(07-04-2020, 01:47 AM)Dom Wrote: Do you deliver to Oregon?

I'm afraid it might get cold before we could get it there...

Cookout time!
(07-04-2020, 01:49 AM)PopeyesPappy Wrote:
(07-04-2020, 01:47 AM)Dom Wrote: Do you deliver to Oregon?

I'm afraid it might get cold before we could get it there...

Oh, I don't mind, it sounds delicious anyway. Smile
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

Cookout time!
Definitely jealous, that sounds like some good eatin'.
On hiatus.

Cookout time!
Nothing to revolutionary, but bound to be explosive.

Cookout time!
That makes me want to get all festive, but I've really never celebrated the 4th foodwise. I know hot dogs are popular (and I do have buns a plenty). My parents aren't patriotic. and the rest of my family lives in the Midwest (which to me would be a great place to do the 4th [suburbs of CLE and STL]). I'm very far flung.

I wonder what the TV firework sitch will be (if any).
Is this sig thing on?

Cookout time!
My brother-in-law is scared that people are all gonna get sick and die if we get together for the fourth, so we're not. I hope he doesn't put the pall over my sisters' birthdays at the end of August.

I haven't even thought about what I intend to do today. I hadn't even thought of it as any different from any other day. I've got some drumsticks thawed for buffalo chicken. Not very 4th of July-ie.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Cookout time!
I used to look forward to this time of year because my neighbor would throw a big 4th of July cookout that would last from early afternoon and well into the evening. Up to 50 people would be in attendance. I put on a big, one-hour fireworks show right after dark. Afterward, there would be a campfire get-together. About a dozen or so people would stay to toast marshmallows and chat until dawn. Unfortunately, my neighbors moved away in 1999 and things haven't been the same around here since then. The picnic area in back of their house is now returned to nature and the folks next door have no interest in 4th of July cookouts.  Sad
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Aroura

Cookout time!
My TV is broken. No TV fireworks this year, unless there is a webstream.

I might go out for a push, just to see if anything looks festive. At. All (red white and blue masks?).

For now, NPR COVID death count and french toast.
Is this sig thing on?

Cookout time!
(07-04-2020, 01:55 PM)Dānu Wrote: I haven't even thought about what I intend to do today.  I hadn't even thought of it as any different from any other day.  I've got some drumsticks thawed for buffalo chicken.  Not very 4th of July-ie.

Same here. We sometimes get together for a 'cue on the 4th, but it's not a huge thing for us and especially this year we just don't have any heart for it. We'll be ordering take-out Thai for dinner tonight. I'm snacking on crackers and hummus right now.
On hiatus.

Cookout time!
Not doing much today, as one son is at work. Thai sounds really good. I haven't had any curry in a while. We'll grill those lamb loin chops tomorrow. Yummay!
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Cookout time!
I grew up in a family that hosted the neighborhood BBQ get-together and put on a fireworks show at the end. I world say it was the second biggest holiday in my family, second only to Xmas. Great memories.

But we haven't done anything at all for years. When it daughter was little we were a lot tighter in cash, but we did spend a little on fireworks, then go out into the shared parking lot and light off what we had with neighbors. No bbq though.

This year we've decided to ditch fireworks altogether, as we're trying to make personal choices that are less harmful to the environment. Since we've mostly given up meat, though, this of one of the few times we'll actually buy red meat and eat it.

I got a package of local hot dogs, uncured wild raised beef. Apparently the cows are pastured in a stretch of woodland at the base of mount Shasta. Also got some even more local ground beef to make a few burgers. Picked a bunch of fresh veggies out of our backyard to toss into a pasta salad and add to the burgers, and some Wickles relish and locally made bbq sauce to top it all off.  Then I totally cheated and bought a cherry pie from Sheri's, and also got the stuff to make smores. So we've got a feast for the entire weekend.

Or local city is still putting on their big fireworks show off the top of the Butte, which we are lucky positioned to see from our yard, so we'll eat burgers, drink soda, pig out on dessert, and still get a live show without having to leave our backyard.
The following 1 user Likes Aroura's post:
  • SYZ