Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Researchers identify more than 100 toxic chemicals in cannabis smoke

I prefer to die from eating the wrong but delicious foods.   hobo
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Yeah, otherwise you'll stay fit and healthy until you're dead.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Alan V, GenesisNemesis

(06-29-2020, 05:24 AM)Minimalist Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 04:16 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 01:29 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: ...Uh oh, the "marijuana is only ever good for you" crowd is gonna have a bad time with this one.

Indeed.    [the] estimate agrees within uncertainty with total particulate matter (TPM) measurements
of fresh smoke also collected, which shows smoking a marijuana joint produces roughly 3.4 (±0.6)
times more TPM
than smoking a tobacco cigarette following the same puff routine.

And it's the particulate matter that fucks your lungs.  I should know; I have mild (luckily) emphysema.     Sad

There is a degree of false equivalency here though.  Plenty of smokers will go through a pack a day.  Who smokes twenty joints a day?

It's reported that US rapper Wiz Khalifa smokes an average of 36 fat joints a day, at 3g per.     Deadpan Coffee Drinker
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Outlier.

(06-29-2020, 05:27 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 04:16 AM)SYZ Wrote: Indeed.    [the] estimate agrees within uncertainty with total particulate matter (TPM) measurements
of fresh smoke also collected, which shows smoking a marijuana joint produces roughly 3.4 (±0.6)
times more TPM

And it's the particulate matter that fucks your lungs.  I should know; I have mild (luckily) emphysema.     Sad

There is a degree of false equivalency here though.  Plenty of smokers will go through a pack a day.  Who smokes twenty joints a day?

I don't find it that unbelievable that some weed smokers smoke 20 joints a day.

How are you going to do that? One high, which should be a few puffs, maybe a third or a quarter of a joint, depending on how thick you roll, keeps you high for some 4 hours. 20 joints a day should keep you in a coma, and probably isn't even possible, no matter how hard you try.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

Sorry, haven't read the article. Does it give the LD50 for those chemicals and how much is in the weed?

I no longer smoke cigarettes but I like weed (when I can get it which isn't often unfortunately) I personally treat it like medicine, I have a small pipe with a tiny bowl the diameter of an old half penny and very shallow, it takes a pinch of weed which I only use in the evening one hour before bed, two tokes and in 20 minutes I'm relaxed, my restless legs are still and I'm ready to drift off into a restful natural sleep, it's so much better than any sleeping meds I've ever had and no morning hangover, it's great stuff and I don't believe in using it as I do I'm in too much (if any) danger from it. Obviously if you abuse any psychoactive chemical to a large extent be they prescribed or proscribed you're going to have problems and may hurt yourself but I find it ironic that I can drink myself silly and rot my liver and brain quite legally but that taking two tokes of weed in a medicinal manner that benefits me and improves my quality of life is illegal in my country.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 4 users Like adey67's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Dom, Thumpalumpacus, Finite Monkeys

(06-29-2020, 12:01 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 04:16 AM)SYZ Wrote: Indeed.    [the] estimate agrees within uncertainty with total particulate matter (TPM) measurements
times more TPM

It's reported that US rapper Wiz Khalifa smokes an average of 36 fat joints a day, at 3g per.     Deadpan Coffee Drinker

There is always one guy who overdoes it.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • adey67

I couldn't smoke it because I find the smell just too repulsive. But I did try edibles, all it did was make me feel like I weighed 10 times heavier & I could barely walk after two gummy bears. But I got no "brain" high at all.

Strangely enough though my wife has a friend who has cancer, so my wife asked me if I could grow some weed for her friend. which is nuts cause she was so apposed to me trying it. Anyway so I've got a weed plant growing in my livingroom, for the last 2 weeks. I don't know how much it produces but in Ontario I can legally give someone over 19 up to 30 grams. Just cant sell it.
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The following 1 user Likes Unsapien's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(06-29-2020, 11:25 AM)Alan V Wrote: I prefer to die from eating the wrong but delicious foods.   hobo

That is my "method" as well.  Tongue

But I do try to eat kind of healthy. Sometimes.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Alan V

(06-29-2020, 01:29 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06-t...nabis.html

Quote:University of Alberta engineering researchers have characterized the potentially hazardous particles in cannabis smoke and have raised awareness about their potential health effects.

"It's not out of line to say there's potential health risk in marijuana smoke, and there's not nearly enough research," said Robert Nishida, a U of A post-doctoral fellow and co-lead on the study.

Among the billions of particles found in a single puff of cannabis smoke, Nishida's team observed 2,575 chemical compounds and was able to identify 536. Of those, 110 are known to be toxic, whether they be carcinogenic, mutagenic or teratogenic, which are chemicals that can interfere with the development of the embryo or fetus.

Uh oh, the "marijuana is only ever good for you" crowd is gonna have a bad time with this one. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

[bold mine]

I expect authoritarians to start salivating when reading this news. Finally they will be able to clad their opposition to freedom of others in guise of (potential?) science.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 4 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Fireball, Dom, Thumpalumpacus

(06-29-2020, 06:03 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 01:29 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06-t...nabis.html

Quote:University of Alberta engineering researchers have characterized the potentially hazardous particles in cannabis smoke and have raised awareness about their potential health effects.

"It's not out of line to say there's potential health risk in marijuana smoke, and there's not nearly enough research," said Robert Nishida, a U of A post-doctoral fellow and co-lead on the study.

Among the billions of particles found in a single puff of cannabis smoke, Nishida's team observed 2,575 chemical compounds and was able to identify 536. Of those, 110 are known to be toxic, whether they be carcinogenic, mutagenic or teratogenic, which are chemicals that can interfere with the development of the embryo or fetus.

Uh oh, the "marijuana is only ever good for you" crowd is gonna have a bad time with this one. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

[bold mine]

I expect authoritarians to start salivating when reading this news. Finally they will be able to clad their opposition to freedom of others in guise of (potential?) science.

I'm no authoritarian obviously, I just rather dislike when people pretend like there's nothing bad about a particular drug.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Szuchow

(06-29-2020, 06:13 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 06:03 PM)Szuchow Wrote:

[bold mine]

I'm no authoritarian obviously, I just rather dislike when people pretend like there's nothing bad about a particular drug.

I did not say that you are. As for whatever damage drug can cause I care not. For all the shit I give marijuana could kill after single inhale and I still would say that people have right to use it - their life, their choice.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

Still hoping for the amounts of these dangerous drugs in a roach.

(06-29-2020, 01:16 PM)Dom Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 05:27 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 05:24 AM)Minimalist Wrote: There is a degree of false equivalency here though.  Plenty of smokers will go through a pack a day.  Who smokes twenty joints a day?

I don't find it that unbelievable that some weed smokers smoke 20 joints a day.

How are you going to do that? One high, which should be a few puffs, maybe a third or a quarter of a joint, depending on how thick you roll, keeps you high for some 4 hours. 20 joints a day should keep you in a coma, and probably isn't even possible, no matter how hard you try.

A lot of alcoholics drink themselves into a "coma".

(06-29-2020, 04:31 PM)Unsapien Wrote: I couldn't smoke it because I find the smell just too repulsive. But I did try edibles, all it did was make me feel like I weighed 10 times heavier & I could barely walk after two gummy bears. But I got no "brain" high at all.

Strangely enough (or not), when I tried coke with that joke of a manchild in Rio (no, I'm not proud but hey, I was interested), I felt barely any effect (I wondered recently if it was because my dopamine is all fucked up because of the OCD anyway but probably not).

Pot did affect me; when I was with other people I felt this kinda... cottony feeling, like I was nestling in something soft that was also separating me from others. Can't quite describe it and it was some time ago. But when I was back home, watching and listening to stuff, it had a strong auditory effect. Like, I was watching a series and all I noticed, like, mesmerised, was the voices of people and how they talked (no idea what was actually happening, plotwise). Music had a weird, synesthetic quality too, like each note produced a differently-coloured light show of sorts. That was fun.

Speaking of gummy bears, though, I'd *love* some. Normal ones. Even better, some sour worms or whatever brand is available. Oh man, I want some!
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 3 users Like Vera's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, Unsapien

(06-29-2020, 07:16 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 05:27 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: I don't find it that unbelievable that some weed smokers smoke 20 joints a day.

Yep, one can get incredibly drunk before passing out, but there is a limit to how much one can drink. Nobody can drink 20 large barrels of beer in a day. It's just not physically possible. I don't think 20 joints in a day is possible either, you'd pass out long before that.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Thumpalumpacus

(06-29-2020, 07:16 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 05:27 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: I don't find it that unbelievable that some weed smokers smoke 20 joints a day.

I can buy enough alcohol to drink myself into a coma and still get change back from a $20 bill, and most people can't reasonably afford even that, every day. The number of people who can afford that kind of pot habit are quite rare. They also don't have jobs where sobriety matters. To get through 20 joints in a day, just like getting through 20 cigarettes in a day, your first hit is probably before you're even dressed for the day. There is no way you can equate pot smoking to cigarette smoking in any reasonable way for the vast majority of people.

Most post smokers are very similar to most alcohol drinkers. Social drinking and a couple beers with dinner, two or three nights/week.

I honestly think it's fucking ridiculous that we're still arguing the merits and costs of pot when opioids (made from the same source plant a heroin) are perfectly legal and an addiction pandemic.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

(06-29-2020, 09:23 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: I honestly think it's fucking ridiculous that we're still arguing the merits and costs of pot when opioids (made from the same source plant a heroin) are perfectly legal and an addiction pandemic.

I just think it's perfectly reasonable to look at the costs/benefits of all drugs if you actually care about science/objectivity. Not sure why people are getting so defensive. Whatever.

(06-29-2020, 07:37 PM)Dom Wrote: I don't think 20 joints in a day is possible either, you'd pass out long before that.

I can confirm, many moons ago, someone indeed passed/blacked out, while trying to achieve that number! Angel 

Was on his feet ~ then was on his ass. hobo
The following 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post:
  • Dom

(06-29-2020, 10:16 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 09:23 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: I honestly think it's fucking ridiculous that we're still arguing the merits and costs of pot when opioids (made from the same source plant a heroin) are perfectly legal and an addiction pandemic.

I just think it's perfectly reasonable to look at the costs/benefits of all drugs if you actually care about science/objectivity. Not sure why people are getting so defensive. Whatever.

I don't think folks are getting defensive. I think they're pointing out that smoking 20 doobs a day is, for the vast majority of potheads, not how it's used, nor is is realistic for most of them. If you want to do a cost/benefits analysis, it's important that both the costs and benefits be expressed accurately.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, TheGentlemanBastard

VA sent me nearly 300 tramadol in the last month. Probably enough to handle most of my aches.

(06-30-2020, 12:16 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 10:16 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:

I don't think folks are getting defensive. I think they're pointing out that smoking 20 doobs a day is, for the vast majority of potheads, not how it's used, nor is is realistic for most of them. If you want to do a cost/benefits analysis, it's important that both the costs and benefits be expressed accurately.

Meh. I personally don't care what people smoke as long as it's in the privacy of their homes.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dom

(06-30-2020, 01:17 AM)no one Wrote:

ROFL2  I haven't listened to Dash Rip Rock in a dog's age!
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.