Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Researchers identify more than 100 toxic chemicals in cannabis smoke

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06-t...nabis.html

Quote:University of Alberta engineering researchers have characterized the potentially hazardous particles in cannabis smoke and have raised awareness about their potential health effects.

"It's not out of line to say there's potential health risk in marijuana smoke, and there's not nearly enough research," said Robert Nishida, a U of A post-doctoral fellow and co-lead on the study.

Among the billions of particles found in a single puff of cannabis smoke, Nishida's team observed 2,575 chemical compounds and was able to identify 536. Of those, 110 are known to be toxic, whether they be carcinogenic, mutagenic or teratogenic, which are chemicals that can interfere with the development of the embryo or fetus.

Uh oh, the "marijuana is only ever good for you" crowd is gonna have a bad time with this one. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • brewerb, M.Linoge, Paleophyte

Edibles.
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, skyking

Quelle fucking surprise. Deadpan Coffee Drinker Inhaling any kind of smoke is hazardous. Not gigging you, by the way. Just saying that I'm not surprised at all by this finding.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 3 users Like Fireball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, Paleophyte

Ever see the list of side effects for common prescription meds? 

Here's an example.

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/contributo...de-effects

This comes under the heading of "Living Causes Dying."
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 5 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball, Dom, GenesisNemesis, M.Linoge, Szuchow

Well, half a century of cannabis consumption hasn't killed me yet, I think I'll enjoy it a while longer before I succumb to the evil effects and die.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 8 users Like Dom's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, skyking, Minimalist, M.Linoge, Thumpalumpacus, Inkubus, Old Man Marsh, Filox

(06-29-2020, 01:51 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Ever see the list of side effects for common prescription meds? 

Here's an example.

I have first hand experience with those since my father abused his prescription meds.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Without some quantification of the amounts, this is useless. As Fireball noted, you're inhaling smoke for Christ's sake, what do you expect?
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 5 users Like Dānu's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, skyking, SYZ, Inkubus, Paleophyte

(06-29-2020, 01:51 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Ever see the list of side effects for common prescription meds? 

Here's an example.

I'm well aware of those since my father abused his prescription meds.

Never smoked it.  One time when I was about 11 a friend and I dared each other to smoke a cigar. We both ended up getting sick to our stomach so I've never smoked anything since.   My daughter cooked up some heavily laced brownies for a D & D party she was having and offered me a couple.  She and her friends were having a glorious time but it did nothing for me at all.  I don't get what all the fuss is about.   Dunno
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Alan V, GenesisNemesis, mordant

(06-29-2020, 02:25 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Never smoked it.  One time when I was about 11 a friend and I dared each other to smoke a cigar. We both ended up getting sick to our stomach so I've never smoked anything since.   My daughter cooked up some heavily laced brownies for a D & D party she was having and offered me a couple.  She and her friends were having a glorious time but it did nothing for me at all.  I don't get what all the fuss is about.   Dunno

It's an acquired taste. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Once I was in the hospital long enough for my physical dependence on nicotine to have passed. First chance I got, I lit up. It made me nauseated, but I kept puffing away.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

I think I have a fix.

[Image: mInMwmM.jpg?437]

Now we're down to less than 100. SAVED!
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 2 users Like brewerb's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Dom

(06-29-2020, 02:08 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:

Here's an example.

I have first hand experience with those since my father abused his prescription meds.

I recall a bit that Jay Leno did on The Tonight Show years ago where all he did was run a drug commercial with a timer.  The alleged benefits of the drug in question took about 17 seconds and the potential side effects took the remaining 43 seconds of the minute. 

"Ask YOUR doctor if new Gofukkyerself is right for YOU!"
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(06-29-2020, 01:29 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: ...Uh oh, the "marijuana is only ever good for you" crowd is gonna have a bad time with this one.

Indeed.    [the] estimate agrees within uncertainty with total particulate matter (TPM) measurements
of fresh smoke also collected, which shows smoking a marijuana joint produces roughly 3.4 (±0.6)
times more TPM
than smoking a tobacco cigarette following the same puff routine.

And it's the particulate matter that fucks your lungs.  I should know; I have mild (luckily) emphysema.     Sad
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

I'm more interested in hearing what problems there may be with vaping. I only ever vape at around 180C.
The following 1 user Likes Mathilda's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Meh. I'll eat me some bacon too.

Wait, I should smoke out a little and make some breakfast at night ... thanks for the idea.
On hiatus.
The following 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, TheGentlemanBastard, brewerb, Fireball, Szuchow, Old Man Marsh

(06-29-2020, 04:16 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 01:29 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: ...Uh oh, the "marijuana is only ever good for you" crowd is gonna have a bad time with this one.

Indeed.    [the] estimate agrees within uncertainty with total particulate matter (TPM) measurements
of fresh smoke also collected, which shows smoking a marijuana joint produces roughly 3.4 (±0.6)
times more TPM

And it's the particulate matter that fucks your lungs.  I should know; I have mild (luckily) emphysema.     Sad

There is a degree of false equivalency here though.  Plenty of smokers will go through a pack a day.  Who smokes twenty joints a day?
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, TheGentlemanBastard

(06-29-2020, 05:24 AM)Minimalist Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 04:16 AM)SYZ Wrote:

times more TPM

There is a degree of false equivalency here though.  Plenty of smokers will go through a pack a day.  Who smokes twenty joints a day?

I don't find it that unbelievable that some weed smokers smoke 20 joints a day.

Oh, FFS.  Smoke what you want.

Just stay away from fucking salad.  That shit will kill you.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/28/us/sa...a-cdc.html

Quote:Bagged Salads Recalled After Hundreds Are Sickened in the Midwest

(06-29-2020, 05:28 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Oh, FFS.  Smoke what you want.

Just stay away from fucking salad.  That shit will kill you.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/28/us/sa...a-cdc.html

Quote:Bagged Salads Recalled After Hundreds Are Sickened in the Midwest

Isn't this called a.. straw man?

I call it ironic since the story just hit a few moments ago.

We've had lots of salad recalls....for e-coli and other infestations.  But the cops keep wanting to lock people up for weed because it is a lucrative scam for the whole prison industrial complex.

Salad?  Who cares?
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Szuchow

(06-29-2020, 05:27 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: I don't find it that unbelievable that some weed smokers smoke 20 joints a day.

Twenty joints a day has got to be around a quarter-ounce a day even if you're rolling thin.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(06-29-2020, 05:37 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 05:27 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: I don't find it that unbelievable that some weed smokers smoke 20 joints a day.

Twenty joints a day has got to be around a quarter-ounce a day even if you're rolling thin.

And? I find it unbelievable how much alcohol some people drink even though the shit tastes terrible.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Alan V, Dancefortwo

(06-29-2020, 05:27 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 05:24 AM)Minimalist Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 04:16 AM)SYZ Wrote: Indeed.    [the] estimate agrees within uncertainty with total particulate matter (TPM) measurements
times more TPM

I don't find it that unbelievable that some weed smokers smoke 20 joints a day.

In college I had roommates who smoked a pack a day or more.  Our resident pot-head would be sound asleep after a few puffs.  Personally I never smoked either so I'm no expert.
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

(06-29-2020, 05:39 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 05:37 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

And? I find it unbelievable how much alcohol some people drink even though the shit tastes terrible.

Even the heaviest smokers I know get three or so days out of a quarter. Plus, a quarter-ounce a day is $$$ ...
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(06-29-2020, 02:02 AM)Dom Wrote: Well, half a century of cannabis consumption hasn't killed me yet, I think I'll enjoy it a while longer before I succumb to the evil effects and die.

It turned me into a newt! Aggravated
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]