Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
1968 - 2020 comparison

1968 - 2020 comparison
I watched 1968 on CNN last night. I was there, then, and it brought many memories. But what really struck me was the repeat of history.

1968 was a catalyst for many changes. I think 2020 will end up being the same.

STUDENTS PROTEST ALL OVER THE WORLD
[b]April 23: [/b]Several hundred students gathered on the campus of Columbia University in New York City to protest the Vietnam War, as well as the university’s plan to build a gymnasium on public land in Harlem. For nearly a week, the student protesters occupied several buildings on Columbia’s campus. University officials then called in officers from the New York City Police Department, who broke up the demonstration, beating and arresting hundreds of protesters.
[b]May 6:[/b] The protests at Columbia exemplified the wave of student activism that swept the globe in 1968, including mass demonstrations in Poland, West Germany, Mexico City, Paris, Italy and elsewhere. On May 6, known as “Bloody Monday,” students and police clashed in Paris’ Latin Quarter, resulting in hundreds of injuries. As the protests continued, millions of French workers began striking in sympathy with the students, eventually leading President Charles de Gaulle to dissolve the National Assembly, call for immediate elections and threaten military intervention.

CHICAGO DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION

[b]August 26-29:[/b] RFK’s assassination left Vice President Humphrey as the most likely Democratic nominee, even though he supported Johnson’s unpopular Vietnam War policy. When the Democratic National Convention opened in August, thousands of students, antiwar activists and other demonstrators—including groups like the Yippies, Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) and the Black Panthers—poured into Chicago, where they were met with a violent police response called out by Mayor Richard Daley. As TV cameras captured the bloody clashes between police and demonstrators, the chaotic convention ended in Humphrey’s nomination as the head of an embattled Democratic Party. In reaction to violence that broke out at the 1968 Democratic National Convention, Chicago Mayor Richard Daley defends his city's police, blaming instead the anti-Vietnam War demonstrators for the clash.

https://www.history.com/topics/1960s/vio...tion-video

OLYMPIC PROTESTS

[b]October 16: [/b]After being awarded gold and bronze medals, respectively, in the 200-meter sprint event in the Summer Olympics in Mexico City, U.S. athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos bowed their heads and raised their black-gloved fists in a recognized salute to the Black Power movement during the playing of “The Star-Spangled Banner.” Smith and Carlos were thrown off the U.S. Olympic team, but were seen as heroes in the black community, and their silent protest against racial discrimination lives on as one of the most iconic images in sports history.

Long, but well worth watching:

[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • M.Linoge

1968 - 2020 comparison
I lived ~70 miles from Chicago. Watched the fun. Didn't get beat up.
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  

1968 - 2020 comparison
I was 5 years old, and had just begun hearing well enough that year or a year earlier to understand the TV people. I don't remember anything. I have a few flashes of memory from my years at a Jewish nursery school at that time. Sliding down the hill beside the entrance. The arrival of a busload of black students, which I suspect didn't happen. And some memories of a teacher whose mouth moved but whose words I couldn't hear.
[Image: giant%20meteor%202020.jpg]

1968 - 2020 comparison
I was two years old.
Freedom isn't free.

1968 - 2020 comparison
Being too young to remember is even more reason to watch the video. The similarities are stunning, history is repeating itself. I just hope the year ends with trump out rather than Nixon in. The Democrats ended up sabotaging themselves with division within the party, much like it is now with progressives and more moderate wings. That's how Nixon got in and it took forever to get him back out. 

Demonstrations, racial equality protests, violence in the streets, black atheletes protesting publicly, and so much more happened that mirrors today.

Looking back now, all the causes that arose then have progressed a long way since, but they are not finished and so - deja vu all over again.

Take the time to watch!
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, M.Linoge

1968 - 2020 comparison
History repeats itself because no one listens the first time.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dom, M.Linoge

1968 - 2020 comparison
I was born in ´68 Dance
R.I.P. Hannes

1968 - 2020 comparison
(06-28-2020, 04:37 PM)Minimalist Wrote: History repeats itself because no one listens the first time.

Well, to be fair, things have come a long way since then. Young people got loud, and changes ensued. 

For example, that was the year of burning bras and high heels. The raise of feminism. Even though "feminists" are still frowned upon today (mostly because today the terminology should be "gender equality", but back then feminism was an apt term). Today's young women grow up in a very different world - there are women in all professions. Back then you could be a secretary, librarian, hairdresser or nurse. And only if you could not find a man to support you, when you were forced to work outside the house. People took pity on the poor women who had to brave the world to make a living. Today is indeed very different, just look at "me too".

The same holds true for the racial divisions, although they have not come quite as far as women. But you do see various races in all professions today. 

These things will not be resolved completely until you don't notice whether you are dealing with a woman or someone with darker skin or whatever, you just notice competence and personality. We are a long way from that.

Star Trek had the first public interracial kiss that year. And, and, and.... that year was a catalyst for so many things that changed substantially. 

Watch it, it's both interesting and entertaining.  

I'd love to hear the parallels you draw.

1968 - 2020 comparison
Waiting for de Gaulle. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
[Image: giant%20meteor%202020.jpg]

1968 - 2020 comparison
https://time.com/5855900/segregation-wealth-gap/

https://www.vox.com/identities/2019/12/4...tta-taylor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/...ouseholds/

The three stories above detail how little we have really accomplished in education, housing and employment.

It's easy to be distracted by shiny objects but this country is just about as fucked up now as it was in 1968 where the rubber meets the road.

I was 19 in 1968 and still a republican.  Nixon changed that.... but the Democrats also changed by discarding their racist "Dixiecrat" past while the republicans started heading the other way.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • M.Linoge

1968 - 2020 comparison
(06-28-2020, 03:29 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I was two years old.

I was eleven and far more into watching NASA launches at the time.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Alan V, Thumpalumpacus

1968 - 2020 comparison
(06-28-2020, 06:33 PM)Minimalist Wrote: https://time.com/5855900/segregation-wealth-gap/

https://www.vox.com/identities/2019/12/4...tta-taylor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/...ouseholds/

The three stories above detail how little we have really accomplished in education, housing and employment.

It's easy to be distracted by shiny objects but this country is just about as fucked up now as it was in 1968 where the rubber meets the road.

I was 19 in 1968 and still a republican.  Nixon changed that.... but the Democrats also changed by discarding their racist "Dixiecrat" past while the republicans started heading the other way.

Nobody says it changed everything to perfection. That will NEVER happen.

1968 - 2020 comparison
I don't demand perfection.  But I would like to see some real progress.

Mainly what I see is tokenism.

1968 - 2020 comparison
(06-28-2020, 06:33 PM)Minimalist Wrote: It's easy to be distracted by shiny objects but this country is just about as fucked up now as it was in 1968 where the rubber meets the road

That's why I object to the comparison. 1968 changed a lot in Europe. Many countries headed for the democratic left in the following years, establishing the kind of social security that's now in place almost everywhere. I was five when it happened, but I grew up with the aftermath.

Also, the movements in Europe had quite different goals than the American ones.
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Deesse23

1968 - 2020 comparison
Unless 2021 gives us a Hendrix like Woodstock performance, I will be thoroughly disappointed.

1968 - 2020 comparison
(06-28-2020, 07:24 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I don't demand perfection.  But I would like to see some real progress.

Mainly what I see is tokenism.

Well, I am sure glad I didn't have to choose between total dependence, secretary, librarian, hairdresser or nurse as my life's destination.

I am pretty sure I am not the only one who felt this as an immense improvement and a substantial change.

Unfortunately I can only speak to that matter, as I am a white woman. I can't speak for other segments of society. But observation tells me that the unthinkable has become a possibility for many. Society changes at a snails pace, the larger the group, the slower it changes. The US is a diverse, huge country. On societal issues, most people don't change until someone in their family is affected. The real change isn't propelled by laws and politics, the real change comes from the average of the individual life experiences of the people. 

The more people hear and see something, the more likely they are to accept or support it. The more people "come out" as something, the more their issue will be accepted. 

It's a slow progress, but periodically a critical mass is achieved, and this was the case in 1968 and I see it today, too. Many decades in between, people seemed to just not care for change. They just changed over time as described above. But now, there are the dynamics of a critical mass in play, and people are coming out and demanding to be heard. It's a good thing.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Alan V

1968 - 2020 comparison
Quote: But now, there are the dynamics of a critical mass in play, and people are coming out and demanding to be heard. It's a good thing.

And yet the senate republiKKKunts heard them and produced a piece of legislation that does absolutely nothing to address the problems of police brutality.  Suetonius recounts that one of emperor Augustus slogans was "Festina Lente."  It means "hasten slowly" and it fully describes what they try to do with every problem.  They pretend to address it by doing nothing except paying lip service.  And then they tell the victims, "what are you complaining about?"

1968 - 2020 comparison
(06-29-2020, 12:10 AM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: But now, there are the dynamics of a critical mass in play, and people are coming out and demanding to be heard. It's a good thing.

And yet the senate republiKKKunts heard them and produced a piece of legislation that does absolutely nothing to address the problems of police brutality.  Suetonius recounts that one of emperor Augustus slogans was "Festina Lente."  It means "hasten slowly" and it fully describes what they try to do with every problem.  They pretend to address it by doing nothing except paying lip service.  And then they tell the victims, "what are you complaining about?"

You didn't actually expect congress to act, did you? That's not what it is about. It's about the people, the great variety of people who thought it important to hit the streets during an epidemic. Hard to tell how many stayed at home because of Covid. Let's hope they send just as clear a message with their vote. In 68, they did not succeed because of the split in the democratic party. Let's hope that this time around, this split played out last election and gave us trump, and that the vast majority is motivated enough to speak their mind with their ballot. So far, the momentum is there.

1968 - 2020 comparison
They acted, predictably.  The bill that passed the House takes some action* and the bill that failed in the senate would have done jack shit.  You're right when you say that people need to vote and the progressive wing needs to grab the Democratic Party by the nuts and pull them along because the republiKKKunts are hopeless.  But if you are asking me if people demonstrating in the streets gives me any great hope the answer is "no."  It wasn't so long ago that the Arab Spring was big news and now the poor bastards are right back in the same despotic/theocratic nightmare they had before.  Oh the names change....but not the reality of their lives.  Undirected popular anger needs to be politically focused or it withers away with no lasting impact.

* With the proviso that most criminal law is made at the state and not the federal level.  With a justice department in the hands of a blatant fascist like Barr there would be no follow up on any case involving a choke hold.

1968 - 2020 comparison
(06-28-2020, 03:00 PM)Dom Wrote:

"The powerful in our country had ceased to be responsible, and so the powerless (- -) were trying to take some responsibility." - Sounds familiar. 

"They said all we need is another 200.000 men to finish the job, which is what they had been saying for five years." Just a little more military spending.... 

"We were hearing that we were a generation of spoiled kids." - Another classic. If young people want change, the only possible explanation is that they have had it too good for too long....

"The reaction that he stirred scared me. He had the capacity of just working up a crowd into a frenzy." - "Wallace enjoyed responding to the protesters who heckled him: "A good barber could cure you." - "The beginning of the phenomena of the angry white man."

Angry white man at Wallace rally: "They ought to take them people over there and put them in a bunch of cages 'n ship 'em off. Ship an' dump 'em. Or take 'em to Vietnam, put 'em on the front line, get our boys back and A-bomb those guys."

Cage. Deport. Kill. 
Perhaps republicans really haven't changed that much since Trump came along.

I suspected it was similar but it's worse than I thought. Thx for the clip.
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 1 user Likes M.Linoge's post:
  • Dom

1968 - 2020 comparison
Freedom isn't free.

1968 - 2020 comparison
I was four (five in the fall), and the only thing on my mind really was that I was going to have another younger sibling, and that mom and dad had promised if it was a girl we'd get a color TV. Not much of the rest of 1968 made much of an impact on me -- too young, and too insulated.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

1968 - 2020 comparison
Quote:I suspected it was similar but it's worse than I thought. Thx for the clip.

Fascists always have the same act.

1968 - 2020 comparison
(06-29-2020, 05:29 AM)trdsf Wrote: I was four (five in the fall), and the only thing on my mind really was that I was going to have another younger sibling, and that mom and dad had promised if it was a girl we'd get a color TV.  Not much of the rest of 1968 made much of an impact on me -- too young, and too insulated.

So, did you get a color TV out of it?
Freedom isn't free.

1968 - 2020 comparison
(06-29-2020, 05:38 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 05:29 AM)trdsf Wrote: I was four (five in the fall), and the only thing on my mind really was that I was going to have another younger sibling, and that mom and dad had promised if it was a girl we'd get a color TV.  Not much of the rest of 1968 made much of an impact on me -- too young, and too insulated.

So, did you get a color TV out of it?

We did!  Big Grin
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 2 users Like trdsf's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dānu