Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Word definition by movie character.

Some movie characters are the very picture of a certain word. Here's one of my mine.

Urbanity: Charon, the concierge from the New York Continental Hotel.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

This is a difficult game.  I can't think of a movie character that fits their word.  I'll think about this for a while and get back to you.    Thumbs Up
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

Urbane: Winston, manager of the Continental.

Perseverant: John Wick.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Terminator.

(not sure I'm playing correctly)
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

(06-28-2020, 02:54 PM)brewerb Wrote: Terminator.

(not sure I'm playing correctly)
Tricky, yes. But I'd play that one as

Terminator: T-100 in the Terminator movies.

Perennial: Godzilla.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Cadaverous Bernie Lomax
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

This could be fun with real personalities:

Newt GINGRICH - if gingrich were a word that meant what it connotes.

Dick Armey - OK, that's a phrase.

There are many others I can't recall but whose names caused speculation that some sardonic god was playing jokes, almost always names that evoked evil, mischief, criminality.

Jeff FLAKE - with respect to his resistance to Trump only AFTER ceding his political career.

I'd get into Google on this but then I'd be doing nothing else for the next 88 hours or so  Tongue
The following 1 user Likes airportkid's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

So, what we're talking about here, is movie aptronyms, right? Like Thomas Crapper or William Wordsworth, or Usain Bolt, but in fillums, as some would say?

Can I nominate myself for a real-life inaptronym, seeing as my name means Faith?
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

No, we're talking about characters that are almost pure examples of the word. Charon, from the John Wick movies, is utterly urbane, he would give rooms to a horde of Mongol warriors without batting an eye.

(06-28-2020, 08:30 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: No, we're talking about characters that are almost pure examples of the word.

How is that *not* an aptronym though - "'Aptronym's the word for a name that coincidentally (self-fulfillingly? aptly, anyway) describes its bearer's hobby, profession, or temperament.'"
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

(06-28-2020, 09:09 PM)Vera Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 08:30 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: No, we're talking about characters that are almost pure examples of the word.

How is that *not* an aptronym though - "'Aptronym's the word for a name that coincidentally (self-fulfillingly? aptly, anyway) describes its bearer's hobby, profession, or temperament.'"
The name is only coincidentally the term. For example, "tenacity" could also be "John Wick" while "idol-worship" would be "Zero's" embodiment.

(06-28-2020, 09:20 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The name is only coincidentally the term. For example, "tenacity" could also be "John Wick" while "idol-worship" would be "Zero's" embodiment.

OK, you lost me completely (and the examples are not helping as none of those names mean anything to me hobo ), should it be on purpose or coincidentally? And when it comes to fictional characters, is it ever coincidental?

Short answer: aptronym doesn't apply.

I'm really stuck.  I thought James Bond characters would be defined by their names.  I thought Goldfinger had a real goldfinger but I was wrong and I don't watch superhero movies which probably have a few self descriptive names so I got nothin.  Dunno
                                                         T4618

(06-28-2020, 11:05 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I'm really stuck.  I thought James Bond characters would be defined by their names.  I thought Goldfinger had a real goldfinger but I was wrong and I don't watch superhero movies which probably have a few self descriptive names so I got nothin.  Dunno

Don't have to be superheros.

Gunslinger: Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday.

Clint: Hard-nosed.

Okay, it's two hyphenated words. Sue me.
On hiatus.

(06-28-2020, 11:54 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Clint: Hard-nosed.

Don't you mean pink nosed.

Oh Clint? Sorry carry on.
The following 1 user Likes Inkubus's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Syndrome, from The Incredibles. A character with the meglomaniac, vengence syndrome....  which, incidently, is very, very similar to a real life person in the news a lot these days. It's probably not what you're looking for but that's all I got.   Tongue  

[Image: DgJeHmKU0AA7W5L.jpg]
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

"cool"... Lucas Jackson.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(06-29-2020, 01:01 AM)Inkubus Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 11:54 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Clint: Hard-nosed.

Don't you mean pink nosed.

Oh Clint? Sorry carry on.

[Image: fVkuXCI.jpg]
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Inkubus, SYZ

Obsessive
Monk
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

Snarky: Deadpool.

Upright: Captain America.

Vivekananda